IslamicTeachings.org

Staying at Home after Childbirth

ummtaalib

Q. Is it necessary for a woman to stay at home for forty days after giving birth? Does it have any basis in Shariah?

(Question published as received)

A. To consider it compulsory or necessary for woman to stay at home for forty days after giving birth, has no basis in Shariah.

If it is done for medical or health reasons etc., it may be done without considering it to be compulsory or necessary in Shariah.

In any case, a woman should not leave the home unnecessarily.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ismaeel Bassa
Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

Staying Indoors after birth of a child

Question
Assalamalikum, I would like to know the period of stay indoors for a women who has delivered a child. As per what i have heard is that the peirod is 40 days as some women complete their nifas within 20 and some in more days.

I have also heard that once when Abu Baker Siddique (R/A)asked the Prophet if his wife could accompany them when she had given birth to a child. The Prophet said that let her wait for a period of 40 days and then she is free to travel. Kindly confirm the authenticity of the above. Also i would like to know if it is obgligatory or sunnat for the women to stay indoors after childbirth.

Answer

(Fatwa: 644/490/D=1431)

The blood which comes out after the delivery of a child is called nifas (postpartum period). Its maximum limit is forty days, the blood which continues after forty days is not nifas, it would be counted of istihadah. Some women experience blood less than forty days, for them this period is nifas. During nifas salah is completely exempted but fast is not forgiven, instead its qaza should be observed. During nifas going in mosque, doing tawaf, reciting the holy Quran or touching it is forbidden. Similarly, having intercourse is too forbidden. Apart from it, travelling or going somewhere is not forbidden according to Islam. Being harmful according to the health is medical precaution not Islamic ruling. Quote the whole hadith of Hadhrat Abu Bakar Siddiq (RA)  with reference, then it will be answered.

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband