IslamicTeachings.org

Travelogue: Road to Jerusalem

ColonelHardstone

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu brother:

Inshaallah it would be really great if you would post full content here. Masha'Allah your travelogues are very interesting and inshaallah readers here will benefit from them.

JazakAllah khayran

• Like 1

List for the Al-Aqsa Site Plan

1. Islamic Museum                            
  2. Baabal Maghaaribah/Morrocan Gate - Not accessible to Muslims
  3. Baabas Silsilah/Chain Gate
  4. Baabas Salaam/Tranquility Gate
  5. Silsilah/Chain Minaret
  6. Baabal Mataharah/Ablution Gate
  7. Baabal Qataaneen/Cotton Merchant Gate
  8. Baabal Hadeed/Iron Gate
  9. Baaban Naazir/Majlis /Council Gate
  10. Minaret of Ghawanimah
  11. Baabal Atim/Gate of Darkness
  12. Baabal Hittah/Gate of Remission
  13. Minaret al-Asbat
  14. Babal Asbaat/Gate of Tribes
  15. Babaz Zahabi/Golden Gate - 2 vaulted halls lead to Baabar Rahamah(15a), and Baabat Tawbah (15b). Imam Ghazali is said to have sat above these gates when writing Ihya
  16. Cradle of Jesus
  17. Al-Musallah al-Marwani/Solomon’s Stables-sub-structure
  18. Al Masjid al Aqsa
  19. Fakhriya Minaret
  20. Dome of Yusuf Agha
  21. Station of Buraaq
  22. Al-Kas/The Cup (place of ablution)
  23. Mimbar of Buran ad Deen
  24. Dome of Yusuf
  25. Dome of an Nahawiyyah
  26. Dome of Moses
  27. Fountain of Qasim Pasha
  28. Pool of Raranj
  29. Fountain of Qayt Bay
  30. Muezzin’s Dome
  31. Dome of The Chain/Silsilah
  32. Dome of the Rock/Qubatus Sakhra
  33. Dome of the Prophet
  34. Dome of the Me’raj
  35. Dome of al Khalili
  36. Mihrab of al Pasha
  37. Dome of al Khidr
  38. Dome of Ruh/Spirits
  39. Fountain of Sha’laan
  40. Solomon’s Dome
  41. Dome of the Lovers of the Prophets
  42. Fountain of Sultan Solomon
  43. Solomon’s Throne

W.  Wailing Wall    

• Like 1

Map of the Old City...it is helpful to know the names of the gates so that one knows where one is when entering the Old City

Many people book hotels outside the Old City area however they miss out on being close to and interacting with the local Palestinian people. Hotels within the Muslim quarter of the Old City are quite run down but comfortable with easy access to Masjidul Aqsa

oldjer.gif

sxhlr4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jazakallaahu khayraa for the excellent compilation...may Allah ta'ala accept.

For future visitors to Al-Quds

Before our visit we did a lot of research and reading up and Alhamdulillah it worked out wonderful with the grace of Allah ta'ala...we had very little time due to flights for umrah so almost no sightseeing, next time inshaAllah!

The following report (entry to Jerusalem through Amman) is how we went as well however on our own and not with a tour group and it worked out fine Alhamdulillah...and one thing: the staff on the Israeli side are extremely  obnoxious and intimidating and  plan to scare people by picking one or two persons from a group and trying to intimidate them with long, unnecessary questions, checking luggage and keeping back the whole group for hours!

No need to be scared. Remain calm and answer their questions.The worst they can do is send you back.  Perform Salah when time and ignore dirty looks : )

From Amman to Jerusalem:

I didn't take this route but I am reproducing it from the blog because most people will take this route into Jerusalem.

On Wednesday we travelled from Amman to Jerusalem via the King Hussain (Allenby) Bridge border.

We left Amman at 1:15pm after praying Dhuhr and reached the Jordan checkpoint at 3pm. We left the Jordan checkpoint at 4:40pm (sat and waited in-between) to catch the bus over the border.

At the Israeli border we were questioned briefly, and then asked to wait in a waiting area after filling in forms. Three out of six of us were questioned again, and they had clearly done some research on us in the meantime. Generally, we were treated quite well by the Israeli security staff. The waiting area had AC and even wifi (though I don't know if we were meant to use this). There was no aggression in the way we were treated.

Eventually, we left the border at 8:40pm and reached the Hashimi Hotel at 11pm.

The Hashimi Hotel is a very basic hotel/hostel and is not good value for money, the manager was also an unpleasant man in my opinion who spoilt the first night of my trip (my full review Tripadvisor review here) but it is only one of two in the Old City that I know of (the other being the Golden Gate Inn) - if I get the opportunity to go again and the Golden Gate is not available I would stay at the hotel again solely because it is a 7-9 minute walk to Masjid Al Aqsa from the hotel. The Golden Gate will add 1 minute to that walk, but that hotel is cheaper, the bedrooms have more character and from my experience of talking to staff their they seemed more pleasant.

Once we were settled we went out to look for something to eat, but only had around 8 shekels each as the exchange rate was very poor at the border and we didn't want to change more. We found a popular takeaway right across the road from the Damascus Gate and had a very good falafel and salad pitta sandwich. After that, we headed back to the hotel for rest so we could make an early start with Fajr at Masjid Al-Aqsa.

Tip:

Restaurants are more expensive directly outside of the Damascus Gate (e.g. approx £9 for quarter/half roast chicken and fries), if you walk out of the gate and turn right, walk for around 8/10 minutes to Sharie Salah ud Deen (Salah ud Deen Street) you can buy Broast Chicken (fried chicken) with wedges and drink for £3.50/£4 and can also find many money exchange places that offer a better rate than close to Damascus gate.

Costs:

Taxi Amman to border: 35JD for 6 (£29.35)

Jordan coach: 5.3JD (£4.86)

Israel coach: 42 shekels (£7.11)

falafel sandwich: 7 shekels (£1.20)

Hotel triple room: £25 per night x 3 (£75)

taken cetral-mosque (original source)

Jazanah Salah:

Jazanah Salah is usually done after Dhohar Salah

spelling mistakes above

Also the part on "The original Mosque of Omar" needs more clarification I feel, since there appears to be confusion on the one where  'Umar RA is said to have prayed before entering.

This page says:

This article is about mosque in Bethlehem. For the mosque with the same name in Jerusalem, see Mosque of Omar.

• Dawah Team

Jazanah Salah:

Jazanah Salah is usually done after Dhohar Salah

spelling mistakes above

Also the part on "The original Mosque of Omar" needs more clarification I feel, since there appears to be confusion on the one where  'Umar RA is said to have prayed before entering.

This page says:

This article is about mosque in Bethlehem. For the mosque with the same name in Jerusalem, see Mosque of Omar.

Done.

• 1 year later...