IslamicTeachings.org

On Ghussah (Anger)

ummtaalib

Anger according to Quran and Sunnah

The good deed and the evil deed cannot be equal. Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e. Allâh ordered the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly), then verily! he, between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend. (Fussilat 41:34)

Those who spend [in Allâh's Cause - deeds of charity, alms, etc.] in prosperity and in adversity, who repress anger, and who pardon men; verily, Allâh loves Al-Muhsinûn (the good­doers). 
(Al-'Imran 3:134)

Prophet  صلى الله عليه و آله و صحبه و سلم    said, "The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by his strength, but the strong is the one who controls himself while in anger." (Sahih Al-Bukhari 8.135)

A man said to the Prophet  
صلى الله عليه و آله و صحبه و سلم  , "Advise me!" The Prophet said, "Do not become angry and furious." The man asked (the same) again and again, and the Prophet said in each case, "Do not become angry and furious."(Sahih Al-Bukhari 8.137)

...It is said that he (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) mentioned anger, saying, "Some are swift to anger and swift to cool down, the one characteristic making up for the other; some are slow to anger and slow to cool down, the one characteristic making up for the other; but the best of you are those who are slow to anger and swift to cool down, and the worst of you are those who are swift to anger and slow to cool down." He continued, "Beware of anger, for it is a live coal on the heart of the descendant of Adam. Do you not notice the swelling of the veins of his neck and the redness of his eyes? So when anyone experiences anything of that nature he should lie down and cleave to the earth." (Al-Tirmidhi #5145)

What to do when angry

Two men abused each other in front of the Prophet
صلى الله عليه وسلم   while we were sitting with him. One of the two abused his companion furiously and his face became red. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم  said, "I know a word (sentence) the saying of which will cause him to relax if this man says it. Only if he said, 'I seek refuge with Allah from Satan, the outcast.' " So they said to that (furious) man, "Don't you hear what the Prophet is saying?" He said, "I am not mad." (Sahih Bukhari 8.136)

AbuWa'il al-Qass رضي الله ﺗﻌﺎﻟﯽٰعنه said: We entered upon Urwah ibn Muhammad ibn as-Sa'di رضي الله ﺗﻌﺎﻟﯽٰعنه . A man spoke to him and made him angry. So he stood and performed ablution; he then returned and performed ablution, and said: My father told me on the authority of my grandfather Atiyyah رضي الله ﺗﻌﺎﻟﯽٰعنه who reported the Prophet (peace be upon him) as saying: Anger comes from the devil, the devil was created of fire, and fire is extinguished only with water; so when one of you becomes angry, he should perform ablution. (Sunan of Abu Dawood)

Prophet (peace be upon him) said to us: When one of you becomes angry while standing, he should sit down. If the anger leaves him, well and good; otherwise he should lie down.(Sunan of Abu Dawood)

islaaminfo

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Anger: 10 Ways To Defeat It

1 - Seek refuge with Allah from the Shaytan:

Sulayman bin Sard (رضي الله عنه) narrated: "I was sitting with the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم), when two men began slandering one another. One of them was red in the face, and the veins on his neck were standing out. The Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "I know a word which, if he were to say it, what he feels would go away. If he said: "I seek refuge with Allah from the Shaytan (a'udhu billahi minashaitanir rajeem - أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم)," what he feels would go away.'"['Fath al-Bari'; 6/337]

The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "If a man gets angry and says: "I seek refuge with Allah," his anger will go away." ['Sahih al-Jami'; # 695]

2 - Remain silent:

The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "If any of you becomes angry, let him keep silent." ['Sahih al-Jami'; # 693]

3 - Sit down or lie down:

"Abu Dharr (رضي الله عنه) was taking his camels to drink at a trough that he owned, when some other people came along and said to one another: "Who can compete with Abu Dharr in bringing animals to drink and make his hair stand on end?" A man said: "I can." So, he brought his animals and competed with Abu Dharr (رضي الله عنه) and ended up breaking the trough. Abu Dharr (رضي الله عنه) was standing when he saw this, so, he sat down, then he laid down. Someone asked him: "O Abu Dharr, why did you sit down then lie down?" He said: "The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "If any of you becomes angry and he is standing, let him sit down, so that his anger will go away. If iit does not go away, let him lie down.""" [Reported in the 'Musnad' of Ahmad (5/152) and 'Sahih al-Jami' (694)]

al-Imam al-Khattabi (رحمه الله) said: "One who is standing is in a position to strike and destroy, while the one who is sitting is less likely to do that, and the one who is lying down can do neither. It is possible that the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم) told the angry person to sit down or lie down so that he would not do something that he would later regret, and Allah Knows best." ['Ma'alim as-Sunan'; 5/141]

4 - Smile:

Anas bin Malik (رضي الله عنه) narrated: "I was walking with the Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم), and he was wearing a Najrani cloak with a rough collar. A bedouin came and seized him roughly by the edge of his cloak, and I saw the marks left on his neck by the collar. Then the bedouin ordered him to give him some of the wealth of Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) that he had. The Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم) turned to him and smiled, then ordered that he should be given something." ['Fath al-Bari'; 10/375]

5 - Remember the advice of the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم):

Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) narrated: "A man said to the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم): "Advise me." He (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "Do not become angry." The man repeated his request several times, and each time the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said to him: "Do not become angry."" ['Fath al-Bari'; 10/456]

According to another narration, the man later said: "I thought about what the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said, and I realized that anger combines all kinds of evil." [Reported in the 'Musnad' of Ahmad; 5/373]

6 - Remember the high status of those who control themselves:

The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "The strong man is not the one who can overpower others. Rather, the strong man is the one who controls himself when he gets angry." [Reported in the 'Musnad' of Ahmad; 2/236, and it is authentic]

The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) also said: "The strongest man is the one who, when he gets angry and his face reddens and his hackles rise, is able to defeat his anger." ['Sahih al-Jami'; # 3859]

Anas bin Malik (رضي الله عنه) narrated

"The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) passed by some people who were wrestling. He asked: "What is this?" They said: "So-and-so is the strongest; he can beat anybody." The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) then said: "Shall I not tell you who is even stronger then him? The man who, when he is mistreated by another, controls his anger, has defeated his own devil and the devil of the one who made him angry."" ['Fath al-Bari'; 10/519]

7 - Rewards for those who control their anger:

The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "Do not become angry, and Paradise is yours." ['Sahih al-Jami'; # 7374]

The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) said: "Whoever controls his anger at the time when he has the means to act upon it, Allah will call him before all of mankind on the Day of Resurrection, and will let him choose of the Hur al-'Ayn whoever he wants." [Reported by Abu Dawud (4777), and it is in 'Sahih al-Jami' (6518)]

8 - Remember that resisting anger is one of the signs of righteousness:

{
"And march forth in the way to forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Paradise as wide as the heavens and the earth, prepared for the righteous; those who spend in prosperity and in adversity, repress anger, and pardon men. Verily, Allah loves the good-doers."} [Al 'Imran; 134]

9 - Submit to reminders:

Ibn 'Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) narrated: "A man sought permission to speak to 'Umar bin al-Khattab (رضي الله عنه), then he said: "O Ibn al-Khattab, you are not giving us much and you are not judging fairly between us." 'Umar (رضي الله عنه) was so angry that he was about to attack the man, but al-Hurr bin Qays - who was one of those present - said: "O Commander of the Believers! Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) said to His Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم): {
"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish."} [al-A'raf; 199], and this man is one of the foolish." By Allah, 'Umar could go no further after al-Hurr had recited this verse to him, as he a man who was careful to adhere to the Book of Allah." ['Fath al-Bari'; 4/304]

...as opposed to how one of the hypocrites reacted when one of the Companions said to him: "Seek refuge with Allah from the Shaytan," So, he replied: "Do you think I am crazy? Go away!" ['Fath al-Bari'; 1/465]

10 - Remember the bad effects of anger:

'Alqamah bin Wa'il (رضي الله عنهما) narrated: "My father said to me: "I was sitting with the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم), when a man came to him leading another man by a rope. He said: "O Messenger of Allah, this man killed my brother." The Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه وسلم) asked him, "Did you kill him?" He said: "Yes, I killed him." He (صلي الله عليه وسلم) asked: "How did you kill him?" He said: "He and I were hitting a tree to make the leaves fall for animal feed, and then he insulted me, so I struck him on the side of the head with an axe and killed him."" ['Sahih Muslim'; # 1307]

muftisays.com

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hazrat Maulana Maseehullah Khan Saheb (R.A)

By: Hazrat Maulana Dawood Seedat Saheb (DB)

Bi ismihi Ta’ala Sha’nuhu

Explanation of anger and treatment thereof by Hadhratjee Moulana Maseehullah Jalalabadi R.A. extracted from the kitaab titled “Good Character”

Ghussa / Anger

Definition: Revenge in the form of erupting or exploding in anger, taken at some slight or personal injury.

Danger and consequences: Uncontrolled anger leads to rage, quarrels, hatred, violence and a host of other evils.

To be completely devoid of anger is the opposite extreme and manifests as cowardice, which also falls in the category of being despicable.

It must be pointed out that anger is an essential instinctive quality.  Thus anger developing in an individual is not in his control, but the individual has the option of giving expression to the anger or not. The ideal therefore is anger reacting only to the demands of the shariat.

Prevention

1.       Control of the nafs by means of mujaahadah and riyadhat

2.       Development of patience and forebearance (sabr and hilm)

Treatment

1.       Pause to reflect. Avoid reacting immediately to any situation.

2.       Analyse the cause of the anger. Is it for the sake of Allah Ta’ala or is it for personal reasons?

3.       Ask oneself, would I like Allah Ta’ala to treat me for my shortcomings as I am about to treat my detractor?

4.       Recite “A’oozu……..” to repel shaitaan.

5.       Change posture and position – if standing sit, if sitting lie down.

6.       Drink cold water, or make wudhu with cold water.

7.       Take up a book to read, or involve oneself in another activity.

8.       Remove oneself from the situation by leaving the room.

9.       Remind oneself that this is but a test from Allah Ta’ala and was written in one’s taqdeer (fate)

Correction is an important principle where one’s anger has exceeded the bounds of shariat – this is done as follows:

1.       Make istighfaar.

2.       Apologise humbly to the person on whom one has vented one’s anger

3.     Impose a penalty on oneself, for eg. Make nafl salaah, keep nafl fast, give sadaqaa etc.

khanqah.co.za

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

post-4260-0-13628700-1406020664.jpg

Anger is the worst enemy of human being. It not only directly hits our health but also results in further devastation that may be harm to us or to whom we are angry with. In both the cases the end result is harm and only harm. It is widely said that only those people get angry who are weaker in nerves. Such people cannot be successful in their life here and even hereafter. The biggest bravery is controlling your anger. So being Muslim you should control your anger by following the tips given below.

Silence first

Whenever you get angry on anybody just keep silence to understand the real cause of your anger. Then try to discuss that cause with the person whom you are talking. In this way first you will control your anger then you will remove its actual cause.

Curb it before it rises

If you fail to manage silence even then try to control it before it rises further. For this purpose you should find the funny aspect of the issue for which you are angry. If you get any such point not only think clearly about it but also share it with other.

Problem doesn’t mean disaster

No problem is solvable. It is your skill how you tackle it. If you are getting mad on your problem it is not its gravity that is making you full of fury but it is actually your inability to manage it. So realize your weakness and try to overcome it instead of cursing the problem.

Everything is from Allah

If you believe in the reality that everything happens by the order of Allah you will never be so frustrated over any situation. This world is a testing zone for us and we have to cross it successful. So instead of getting angry take every problem as a trial. Allah tries only those people who are dear to Him. So we must be relaxed if we are tried and try to come out from it. Secondly Allah tries every person up to his tolerance level. So never take any issue as intolerable.

Keep reciting holy verses

This is the most effective remedy to control your anger. Whenever it attacks you just recite the Durood Sharif with the belief that Allah sends this trial and it He Who will make you cross it.

ideal muslim

• 2 years later...

SOL-“Shout out Loud”

By Abu Thuwayba 

How often do we not “Shout out Loud” (SOL) when we get a little angry or irritated? Does this not happen to those persons that are supposedly near and dear to us?

Generally we are so “busy” that we seldom get a chance to introspect and realize the harm that our spontaneous and outburst of SOL causes to ourselves and those whom we attack. 

A wise old man gathered his students and asked them this question: ‘Why do people who are angry shout at each other even though they are nearby?’ 

The students came up with various possibilities but no answer satisfied the wise man.  

He then said to his students: ‘The reason that angry people shout at each other is that their hearts are very far apart. Thus, they need to scream and shout to make themselves heard to each other.’  

He went on explaining: ‘Don’t you see that when people like each other they speak softly and gently. This is because their hearts are nearer. And when that love is greater, they whisper in each other’s ears due to their hearts being even closer.’  

He paused and continued: ‘And when their love is intense, their hearts are practically one and then they do not even need to speak. A mere glance is enough to convey their love or even the slightest message.’  

When your voice is raised, whether at your spouse, child, parent or any close one, pause a while and think: ‘Is my heart actually far from the person I claim is close to me?’

Often anger and irritation acts as an anesthetic on the mind, blotting out reason and causing a person to SOL. The damage of harsh words are immense and the harm can be irreversible and leave permanent scars. A moment of introspection will calm the mind and allow reason and rationality to return.

The Qur’aan states: Be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking and lower your voice. Verily, the harshest of all voices is the voice (braying) of the donkey. ( Qur’an 31:19)

A wise scholar once said: “Raise your words and not your voice. It is rain that causes flowers to grow and not thunder”

Anger and raised voices serve no purpose except to tear people further apart. Try using a gentle voice and enjoy the results!

www.eislam.co.za

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, adyiqbal said:

But, in some serious situations, is anger is allowed??? 

please see this post

specially the following:

Ghussa / Anger

Definition: Revenge in the form of erupting or exploding in anger, taken at some slight or personal injury.

Danger and consequences: Uncontrolled anger leads to rage, quarrels, hatred, violence and a host of other evils.

To be completely devoid of anger is the opposite extreme and manifests as cowardice, which also falls in the category of being despicable.

It must be pointed out that anger is an essential instinctive quality.  Thus anger developing in an individual is not in his control, but the individual has the option of giving expression to the anger or not. The ideal therefore is anger reacting only to the demands of the shariat.

• 4 weeks later...