IslamicTeachings.org

Are Shias Kaafir?

ummtaalib

Are Shias Kaafir?

Answer:

All Shias are not non Muslim. In fact only those Shias are non Muslim who adhere to the following belief; that Hazrat Ali [RA] is Allah, or that Hazrat Jibreel brought the divine revelation “Wahi” to Nabi Muhammad [sAW] through error, and that the revelation was in fact supposed to go to Hazrat Ali [RA],  that the Qur’an is incomplete,  that alterations were carried out on the present Qur’an,  that the false accusation against Hazrat Aisha [RA] is true, or that Hazrat Abubakr [RA] was not a Sahabi. Thus any Shia holding any of the above beliefs is not a Muslim nor will it be permissible to treat him as a Muslim.

Those Shias who do not hold the above mentioned erroneous beliefs but use inappropriate language against the Sahaabah [RA], and show disrespect and undermine the status of Hazrat Abubakr, Umar and Uthmaan [RA] will not be non Muslims according the opinion of the Experienced Ulama though they are in stark misguidance and out of the creed of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaat. Thus having personal or close relationships with them will not be permissible. [Ad-Durrul Mukhtaar, Fataawaa Darul Uloom Deoband]

P.S. We would like to apologise for the delay in answering your question as our phone lines were down for quite a while.  Please accept our apologies.

And Allah Taala knows best

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah

Springs

www.mahmoodiyah.org.za

[email protected]           

• Like 1

Are all shia Kafir? If not what makes them kafir or how can i identify if he is kafir.

I recently found out my friend is a shia he proposed to my wifes cousin and told her family that he has imamat and he is a shia  my wifes cousin is sunni .Since then i decided not to be friends with him i dont talk to him. he and my wifes cousin is not allowed to come to my house and his 1st wife is also not allowed . ive read alot about shia and its alwasy said to 1st find out if they are kafir.

1)Is all shia Kafir .If not what makes them kafir or how can i identify if he is kafir.
2)by cutting myself off  from him and not allowing him to enter my home am i commiting a sin .
3) Someone told me that shias is muslims is this true

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

Firstly, hereunder are the criteria for declaring someone a non-Muslim:

1. When a person openly calls himself a non-Muslim, i.e. he accepts that he is a Christian, Jew, Hindu, etc.
  2. When a person negates, through his words or actions, something unanimously proven through Quran and Hadith. He will not be regarded a Muslim even though he claims to be one.

Jawahirul Fiqh Vol:1 Pg:23 (Maktabah Darul Uloom Karachi)

Secondly, although the Shias claim that they are Muslims, most of them have beliefs that negate the clear cut principles of Islam. Some of these beliefs are listed below:

1.      They regard the Quran to be incomplete, and say that most of the Quran has been changed.

2.      They regard most of the senior Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum), including the first three Khalifas, as murtads (those who have left the fold of Islam).

3.      They regard the status of their twelve Imams to be higher than the status of the Ambiya (Alaihim Assalaatu Wassalaam).

Aaapke Masaail aur Unka Hal Vol:1 Pg:188 (Maktabah Bayyinat)

Thereafter, Shias are categorised into three groups in regards to the ruling they fall under:

1.      Those about whom it is certain that they negate the principles of Islam. Such Shias will be regarded as non-Muslims even if they do claim otherwise. Shias have the habit of taqiyyah (i.e. they regard it virtuous to lie in order to safeguard their beliefs); therefore, their word will not be accepted, if reliable sources prove otherwise.

It is not permissible to have inter-marriages with such Shias, Janazah Salaah will not be performed upon their deceased, the meat from the animals slaughtered by them will not be halaal and all other laws confined to Muslims will not apply to them.

2.      Those who do not negate any principles of Islam, but have a difference of opinion with the Muslims on saying that Ali (Radiyallahu Anhu) was the most superior amongst all the Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum). Such Shias will not be regarded as non-Muslims, but they will still be regarded as fasiqs (those who transgress the laws of Islam openly).

The laws confined to Muslims will apply on them, but it will not be advisable to have inter-marriages with them.

3.      Those whose beliefs cannot be confirmed. They will not be regarded as Muslims nor will they be regarded as non-Muslims.

As a matter of precaution, inter-marriages with them will not be permissible and the meat from the animals slaughtered by them will not be halaal.

Jawaahirul Fiqh Vol:1 Pg:59-63 (Maktabah Darul Uloom Karachi)

As far as ties with Shias are concerned, it is not permissible to have close friendship with them. However, Islam encourages Muslims to have good conduct with them, and show good character.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. M. Jawed Iqbal,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Are Shias Muslim or Not?

Q. Why do Ulama say that Shias are Kaafir? Shouldn't we be more tolerant and promote unity and peace? I have Shia friends who say that they don't believe in the wrong beliefs attributed to the Shias. They say that they are just following another mazhab (school of thought) within Islam. They do admit that there are extremists amongst them just as you would find extremists in other groups as well. Should I consider them as Kaafir even though they claim to be Muslims?

(Question published as received)

A. The criteria for declaring someone a non-Muslim is as follows:

a) When a person openly calls himself a non-Muslim, i.e. he accepts that he is a Christian, Jew, Hindu, etc.

b) When a person negates, through his words or actions, something from the Daruriyyat of Deen ( a compulsory /core aspect of the Islamic faith) proven through Quran and Hadith. Such a person will not be regarded as a Muslim even though he/she claims to be a Muslim.(Jawahirul Fiqh Vol:1 Page:23)

In light of the above kindly take note of the following: 

The Shi'a are categorised into three groups in regards to the ruling they fall under:

1. Those about whom it is certain that they negate the principles of Islam. Such Shias will be regarded as non-Muslims even if they do claim otherwise. Shias have the habit of taqiyyah (i.e. they regard it virtuous to lie in order to safeguard their beliefs); therefore, their word will not be accepted, if reliable sources prove otherwise.

2. Those who do not negate any principles of Islam, but have a difference of opinion with the Muslims on saying that Ali (Radiyallahu Anhu) was the most superior amongst all the Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum) and other such issues. Such Shias will not be regarded as non-Muslims, but they will still be regarded as fussaq (those who transgress the laws of Islam openly).

3. Those whose beliefs cannot be confirmed. They will not be regarded as Muslims nor will they be regarded as non-Muslims. (Jawaahirul Fiqh Vol:1 Pg:59-63)

The Shi'as predominantly found in the world today including Iran are the Ithna Ashari Shi'as who are not Muslims. 

Although the Ithna Ashari Shi'as claim that they are Muslims, they have beliefs, as established from their own books, that negate the clear cut principles of Islam.

Some of these beliefs are listed below:

1. They regard the Quran to be incomplete, and say that much of the Quran has been changed. (Usool al-Kafi Vol:4 Pages: 444/446)

2. They regard most of the senior Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum), including the first three Khalifas, as murtads (those who have left the fold of Islam). (Ainul Hayāt page:3, aqq al-Yaqīn page: 522)

3. They regard the status of their twelve Imams to be higher than the status of the Ambiya Alaihim Assalaatu Wassalaam. (ayāt al-Qulūb vol:3 page:10, Wilāyat al-Faqīh of Khomeini page: 58)

These are just a few examples. Many more references can be cited on various aspects of Aqeedah. Due to these and many other such beliefs, the Ithna Ashari Shi'a are not Muslims. 

It should be noted that Shi'a have the habit of taqiyyah (i.e. they regard it virtuous to lie in order to safeguard their beliefs). A person should be aware of this fact when interacting with them.

The differences between Ahlus Sunnah and the Shi'a are well documented and is in no way similar to the differences of opinion within the four schools of Fiqh (jurisprudence) within the Ahl al-Sunnah. While there would be extremists in all groups as you have alluded to in your question, we are referring to the beliefs of the mainstream Shi'a. Only the canonical works of the Shi'a and the opinions of their chief scholars were relied upon when determining their fundamental beliefs. 

We acknowledge your concern for the unity and well-being of the Muslim Ummah. However, as much as one would want to put aside the differences between the Ahl al-Sunnah and the Shia, the fact remains that these differences do exist, and that by their very nature both groups are worlds apart. 

We do condemn all forms of extremism and sectarian violence, and also pray for a peaceful end to the conflict in the Middle East, however, at the same time, we do not consider our adherence to the Truth to be detrimental to that aim. 

It is an obligation upon each one of us to uphold the pristine purity of the Deen of Islam as established from the Quran and Sunnah and to honour the Ahlul-Bait (the pure family of the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and all of his Noble Sahaabah Radhiyallahu Anhum.

May Allah guide us all and keep us on the straight path. Aameen. 

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Tahir Hansa

Confirmation:
Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh.) 

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

223 Alpine Road, Overport
Durban, South Africa

Tel : +27 (0) 31 2077099 

Fax : +27(0) 31 2074163 

Twitter:@JamiatKZN

• 6 months later...

QUESTION:

Are Zaydi's Muslims and part of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah? 

Answer

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

The Zaidi Shi’ahs[1] are divided into three sects: the Batriyyah, the Sulaymaaniyyah and the Jaarudiyyah.

• The Batriyyah regard Sayyiduna ‘Ali (Radhiyallaahu anh) to be the best from amongst the Sahaabah (Radhiyallaahuanhum). They do however accept the caliphate of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu anh) and Sayyiduna ‘Umar (Radhiyallaahu anh) while withholding judgment on Sayyiduna ‘Uthman (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh).
  • The Sulaymaaniyyah deem the caliphate of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) and Sayyiduna ‘Umar (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) an error. As far as Sayyiduna ‘Uthmaan (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) is concerned, some amongst them regard him to be an apostate.
  • The Jaarudiyyah curse Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) and Sayyiduna ‘Umar (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) along with Sayyiduna ‘Uthmaan (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh).

According to the contemporary Yemeni scholar, Qaadhi Isma’eel ibn ‘Ali Al-Akwa’, the latter day Houthi Zaidis generally fall within the Jaarudi influence, with notable exceptions[2].

To curse Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) and Sayyiduna ‘Umar (Radhiyallaahu ‘anh) is a grave offence and an act of kufr (disbelief)[3].

In general, the Zaidi Shi’ahs are regarded to be Muslims, albeit not from the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa’ah. We cannot pass a blanket ruling of kufr on them.

One should not approach them in an abusive or disrespectful manner. They should rather be approached in an adequate and diplomatic manner. If this method is adopted, they may lend an ear and Allaah Ta’aala may guide them through us.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

Muajul I. Chowdhury

Student, Darul Iftaa

Astoria, New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

[1] الموسوعة الميسرة في الأديان والمذاهب والأحزلب المعاصرة (1/76)

والزيدية هي: إحدى فرق العدلية القدرية التي تقول بالعدل، إذ تنفي خلق الله تعالى لأفعال العباد بزعم نفي الجبر، كما تعطل نصوص الصفات الذاتية والفعلية لله تعالى تحت دعوى التوحيد. وتعد الزيدية (الهادوية) أقرب فرق الشيعة إلى أهل السنة والجماعة، إذ يتصف مذهبهم بالابتعاد عن غلو الاثني عشرية وباقي فرق الشيعة، كما أن نسبتها ترجع إلى مؤسسها زيد بن علي زين العابدين، الذي كان يرى صحة إمامة أبي بكر وعمر وعثمان رضي الله عنهم جميعاً، ولم يقل أحد منهم بتكفير أحد من الصحابة. ومن مذهبهم جواز إمامة المفضول مع وجود الأفضل، إلا أن فرق الزيدية انحرفت، ما عدا الهادوية، عن مبادئ زيد هذه ورفضوا خلافة الشيخين وتبرؤوا من عثمان وقالوا بالرجعة وعصمة الأئمة موافقة للرافضة.

من هم الزيدية؟ للسيد يحيى بن عبد الكريم الفضيل الزيدي

http://zaydiya.blogspot.co.za/2009/10/zaidiya-zaidia-zaydiya-zaidism.html 

http://zaidiah.com/sites/default/files/articles_files/_hm_lzydy.pdf

الملل والنحل (1/ 155)

فتلمذ في الأصول لواصل بن عطاء الغزال الألثغ رأس المعتزلة ورئيسهم

الفرق بين الفرق (ص 26)

البدر الليالي شرح بدء الأمالي (2/ 543)

تاريخ الفرقة الزيدية لفضيلة عبد الأمير الشامي

الموسوعة الشاملة للفرق المعاصرة في العالم (ص 193)

[2] Taken from our correspondence with Hazrat Mufti Taha Karan (Hafizahullaah)

[3]  لسان الحكام (ص: 414)

الرافضي إِذا كَانَ يسب الشَّيْخَيْنِ رَضِي الله تَعَالَى عَنْهُمَا ويلعنهما يكون كَافِرًا وَإِن كَانَ يفضل عليا على أبي بكر وَعمر رَضِي الله عَنْهُمَا أَجْمَعِينَ لَا يكون كَافِرًا لكنه يكون مبتدعا

الفتاوى الهندية (2/ 264)

الرافضي إذا كان يسب الشيخين ويلعنهما والعياذ بالله فهو كافر

رد المحتار (4/ 237)

أقول: نعم نقل في البزازية عن الخلاصة أن الرافضي إذا كان يسب الشيخين ويلعنهما فهو كافر، وإن كان يفضل عليا عليهما فهو مبتدع. اهـ.

تفسير ابن كثير (7/ 338)

وَمِنْ هَذِهِ الْآيَةِ انْتَزَعَ الْإِمَامُ مَالِكٌ رَحِمَهُ الله عليه فِي رِوَايَةٍ عَنْهُ، بِتَكْفِيرِ الرَّوَافِضِ الَّذِينَ يُبْغِضُونَ الصحابة رضي الله عنهم قال: لأنهم يغيظونهم ومن غاظ الصحابة رضي الله عنهم فَهُوَ كَافِرٌ لِهَذِهِ الْآيَةِ

متن الطحاوية (ص: 81)

ونحب أصحاب رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم  ولا نفرط في حب أحد منهم ولا نتبرأ من أحد منهم ونبغض من يبغضهم وبغير الخير يذكرهم ولا نذكرهم إلا بخير وحبهم دين وإيمان وإحسان وبغضهم كفر ونفاق وطغيان

متن الطحاوية (ص: 82)

ومن أحسن القول في أصحاب رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأزواجه الطاهرات من كل دنس وذرياته المقدسين من كل رجس فقد برئ من النفاق

صحيح البخاري (5/ 8)

3673 - حدثنا آدم بن أبي إياس، حدثنا شعبة، عن الأعمش، قال: سمعت ذكوان، يحدث عن أبي سعيد الخدري رضي الله عنه، قال: قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم: «لا تسبوا أصحابي، فلو أن أحدكم أنفق مثل أحد، ذهبا ما بلغ مد أحدهم، ولا نصيفه» تابعه جرير، وعبد الله بن داود، وأبو معاوية، ومحاضر، عن الأعمش

فضائل الصحابة لأحمد بن حنبل (1/ 49)

4 - حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنِي زَكَرِيَّا بْنُ يَحْيَى بْنِ صَبِيحٍ زَحْمَوَيْهِ، وَحَدَّثَنِي مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ خَالِدِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَا: نا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ سَعْدٍ قَالَ: حَدَّثَنِي عُبَيْدَةُ بْنُ أَبِي رَائِطَةَ، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ مُغَفَّلٍ الْمُزَنِيِّ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «اللَّهَ اللَّهَ فِي أَصْحَابِي، لَا تَتَّخِذُوا أَصْحَابِي غَرَضًا، مَنْ أَحَبَّهُمْ فَبِحُبِّي أَحَبَّهُمْ، وَمَنْ أَبْغَضَهُمْ فَبِبُغْضِي أَبْغَضَهُمْ، وَمَنْ آذَاهُمْ فَقَدْ آذَانِي، وَمَنْ آذَانِي فَقَدْ آذَى اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ، فَيُوشِكُ أَنْ يَأْخُذَهُ» .