IslamicTeachings.org

Evidence of Performing Missed Prayers

ummtaalib

Evidence of Performing Missed Prayers

Answered by Shaykh Mazhar Mahmood

madhabah.org

Question:

Do I have to make up my missed ṣalāh? If so, what is the proof?

Answer:

Thank you for your query. May Allāh Almighty give us the ability to understand and practice upon the pristine teachings of His dīn. Āmīn!

With regards to missed ṣalāh (prayer), It is compulsory for every mature male/female who have missed their fardh (mandatory) prayers to make them up as soon as possible.

Mentioned below are a few aḥādīth supporting this statement.

“Whoever forgets to pray should pray as soon as they remember, for there is no expiation (kaffārah) for the prayer besides performing it.” (Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim:684)

Imām al-Nawawī (may Allāh have mercy on him) states in the commentary of this ḥadīth: “This ḥadīth proves that the mandatory prayer which has been missed must be made up, regardless if one had left it due to a reasonable excuse, such as sleep, forgetfulness, or due to no reasonable excuse at all.” (Sharḥ al- Nawawī ‘alā Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim:684]

“If one of you oversleeps and misses a prayer, or forgets to perform it, they should perform it as soon as they remember, because Allāh Almighty says (in the Qur’ān): “… and establish ṣalāh for My remembrance.”  (Qur’ān 20:14, Ṣaḥīḥ Ibn Hibbān:2069]

Imām al-Qurtubī (may Allāh have mercy on him) has elaborated on this ruling in his exegesis of  the Noble Qur’ān under the abovementioned verse saying, “The jurists of the four schools of jurisprudence unanimously agree that it is incumbent to perform missed (mandatory) prayers, regardless of whether they were missed due to reasons such as sleep, forgetfulness, or were missed out of negligence and laziness.”  (Tafsīr Qurṭūbī, Qur’ān 20:14].

Allāh’s Messenger (peace and blessings upon him) taught his Companions and the generations of Muslims to come, by his words and actions, that performing a missed prayer is a command of Allāh which must to be fulfilled.

This is demonstrated in a narration of Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim where the Prophet Muḥammad (peace and blessings upon him) and his Companions had overslept thereby missing the Fajr (Dawn) prayer. His Companions (may Allāh be pleased with them) inquired, “What is the expiation for neglecting the prayer?” Allāh’s Messenger (peace and blessings upon him) replied, “Oversleeping does not mean that you have neglected the prayer, neglecting the prayer is to avoid performing it until its time elapses (whilst being conscious). So whoever misses a prayer, let them perform it as soon as they remember.”

Note: This prayer was missed in harsh conditions and not in leisure. This is apparent from the full report of the above ḥadīth.

It is evident from the above mentioned aḥādīth, their explanations, and statements of the Islāmic scholars, that obligatory prayers are to be made up as soon as possible when they are missed. This is the verdict of majority of the scholars of Islām and is the most sound opinion.

Allāh Almighty Knows Best!

• Like 2

• Dawah Team

This is demonstrated in a narration of Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim where the Prophet Muḥammad (peace and blessings upon him) and his Companions had overslept thereby missing the Fajr (Dawn) prayer. His Companions (may Allāh be pleased with them) inquired, “What is the expiation for neglecting the prayer?” Allāh’s Messenger (peace and blessings upon him) replied, “Oversleeping does not mean that you have neglected the prayer, neglecting the prayer is to avoid performing it until its time elapses (whilst being conscious). So whoever misses a prayer, let them perform it as soon as they rem

:sl:

Tried to find the Hadith here http://sunnah.com/muslim but couldn't find. Honey api could you help please?

:jazak:

• Dawah Team

His Companions (may Allāh be pleased with them) inquired, “What is the expiation for neglecting the prayer?” Allāh’s Messenger (peace and blessings upon him) replied, “Oversleeping does not mean that you have neglected the prayer, neglecting the prayer is to avoid performing it until its time elapses - See more at: http://www.islamicteachings.org/forum/topic/21970-evidence-of-performing-missed-prayers/?do=findComment&comment=62912

One thing I don't get the same hadith is used as proof by those who say there is no qadha for intentionally missed salats?

Please don't repeat all the stuff related to taqleeq and that it's not necessary to know the evidence, as people often do when you ask for proof, I merely want to know for my own satisfaction. I'm just not satisfied and really not sure if qadha salats would be accepted or not for intentionally missed salats. Could you please post all ahadith that are used as proof for this? And I hope it is not just me who want to know regarding the matter, there could possibly be others who have the same concern. Hope you understand.

I understand what you're saying Haya however the problem is I personally do not have knowledge to answer or even to look for relevant hadith on the subject and we do not actually have anyone else knowledgeable either. Therefore i suggest perhaps you can ask at the following site?

haithanswers

ask a question on hadithanswers

I really do apologise but if i can i would get you the answers. I will search and if i find anything i will post here inshaAllah

As for:

Please don't repeat all the stuff related to taqleeq and that it's not necessary to know the evidence, as people often do when you ask for proof

sorry but for a muqallid it does actually apply. Whether you accept it or not does not change it

• Like 1

Found this...inshaAllah it is of help since hadith are quoted.

Q. Is there any proof from authentic ahadith of Qada Umari?

A."Hazrat Anas ibn Maalik (R.A.) narrates in a hadith of Sahih Bukhari that Rasulullah saws.gif mentioned:

من  نسي صلاة فليصل اذا ذكرها لا كفارة لها الا ذلك

" Whoever forgets to pray a Salah, it is obligatory upon him that he pray that Salah when he remembers. There is no other way that this can be made up." ( Sahih Bukhari , Kitaabul Mawaaqeet - Hadith 597)

The words of Rasulullah saws.gif in a hadith of Muslim are as follows:

اذا رقد احدكم عن الصلاة او غفل عنها فليصل اذا ذكرها فان الله عز و جل يقول اقم الصلاة لذكري
" Whenever one of you misses a Salah due to sleeping or due to negligence, it is obligatory upon him that he pray the Salah when he remembers it because Allah (SWT) has metioned, "Perform Salah when you remember me" (Hadith 1569)

In a Hadith of Sunan Nas'ai it is mentioned:

سئل رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم عن الرجل يرقد عن الصلاة او يغفل عنها قال كفارتها ان يصلها اذا ذكرها
" Rasulullahsaws.gif was asked regarding a person who misses a Salah due to sleep or negligence. Rasulullah saws.gif mentioned that its compensation is that he should perform the Salah when he remembers. "(Nasaai p 171)

These Ahadith as well as many others are clear that any Salah that has been missed must be performed when one remembers. In fact the ayah of the Qur’an recited by Rasulullah saws.gif in the hadith of Muslim above, also indicates that this ayah of the Holy Quran refers to qada Salah as well, as it was recited in the context of qada.

There is a consensus among the jurists that qada must be made for missed Salahs.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

al-balagh

• Like 1

there is also some info here

Mufti Abu Hajira says,

icon1.png Re: What is the proof of Kaza Namaz?

salam.gif

المجموع - (ج 3 / ص 71)

اجمع العلماء الذين يعتد بهم علي ان من ترك صلاة عمدا لزمه قضاؤها وخالفهم أبو محمد على ابن حزم فقالا لا يقدر علي قضائها ابدا ولا يصح فعلها ابدا قال بل يكثر من فعل الخير وصلاة التطوع ليثقل ميزانه يوم القيامة ويستغفر الله تعالي ويتوب وهذا الذى قاله مع أنه مخالف للاجماع باطل من جهة الدليل وبسط هو الكلام في الاستدلال له وليس فيما ذكر دلالة أصلا

Imam Nawawi r.a says , " There is a consensus among all scholars who matter that whoever deliberately misses the prayer is obliged to make it up. Abu Muhammad Ali Ibn Hazm contravened them in this saying that such a person can never make up the prayer and that doing so can never be valid. What he has said, besides being a violation of scholarly consensus, is untrue from the standpoint of evidence, and despite a prolonged discourse to prove his contention, what he mentions is devoid of anything that bears it out.

Aside from that what is demanded here is a qiyas of a person missing an obligatory act intentionally with one who does it mistakenly..

Of we look at the matter where one intentionally without any excuse broke their fast.. we will see that Rasulullah
pbuh.gif
ordered them to make up their fast with a Qadha. ( A riwaya from Ibn Majah )

showing the point that one who intentionally misses an obligation is obligated to make it up. As for making qiyas from the same hadith of Rasulullah
pbuh.gif
excusing one who was unintentionally overcome by vomit in fast, not having to make it up, on to a case of missing salah unintentionally.. then that is not correct since we have a Sareeh Hadith about missing salah unintentionally and Rasulullah
pbuh.gif
making it up.

wasalam.gif

• Like 1

The following Q/A is more of an advice regarding Qadhaa Salaah. Though there are no proofs in this reply by Mufti Ebrahim Desai i felt it is beneficial in this thread inshaAllah.

Does qadah salah make up for the obligatory salah?

Question

Some people say that qadah salah does not really make up for obligatory salah, but you still have to do it? Is this true and to what extent? If qadah does not make up for missed salah, then what is the purpose of qadah? If you make up for all missed salah through qada, will you be saved for making up the salah on the day of judgement e.g. there will be no need to make up for missed salah through your nafil (optional) salah? Or will nafil salah still be needed to make up the obligatory salah?

Answer

Among the wisdom of performing Salaat, one is that Salaat is an Ibaadat (worship) of thanks giving to Allah Ta’ala for all His favours on us. Factually, if we spend every second of our lives to worship Allah, we will not be able to thank Allah for His infinite bounties upon us. Allah Ta’ala, out of His infinite grace has made it compulsory upon us to perform only 5 times a day. If we cannot even offer this little amount of time then we should hang our heads down in total shame. After enjoying all his bounties and this appreciation. 

Consider our situation, if we had to do someone a favour and he couldn’t find the time to say, ‘Jazaakallah’ how would we feel? Our Ibaadat does not increase Allah’s honour in any way. Allah Ta’ala is not in need of our Ibaadat. We are the beneficiaries of our Ibaadat. It is true that the Thawaab and virtue of a Salaat performed within its time is much more than the Qadhaa Salaats. However, that is no excuse for not performing Qadhaa Salaat.

If a person sincerely repents for not performing Salaats timeously, it is hoped that Allah Ta’ala will accept the Qadhaa Salaat and forgive the sin of not performing the Salaat timeously. This hope obviously will come from one who is sincere in his regret. A true of sincerity is that he will ensure performing all his Salaat timeously.

It is also advisable as part of your repentance to offer Nafl Salaat to make up for the shortfall in the Fardh as stated in a Hadith of Rasulullah
(Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), the meaning of which is, ‘The first act to be reckoned for on the day of Qiyaamat will be Salaat. If the Salaat is in
order then this person is in ruin and destruction. And if there is a shortfall in his Fardh Allah Ta’ala shall say, ‘See if my servant has any
Nafl (optional) Ibaadat to his record. Then the shortfall shall be completed with this Nafl, thereafter all other Ibaadat shall be accounted for
accordingly.’ (Mishkaat vol.1 pg.117; Qadeemi)

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

FATWA DEPT.

• Like 1

• Dawah Team

Thank you for  understanding.

Okay I just read this SF thread I regret why I didn't read it earlier, I had this question for a long time when first time I read that there's no qadha for intentionally missed salah with proofs, but I had forgotten about it, :jazak: for bringing it to my attention by posting this thread. I must say, SF thread helped a lot.   As there is a consensus among the jurists that qadha must be made for  missed salahs (whether missed intentionally or unintentionally), I feel safe to follow the majority's opinion.

His Companions (may Allāh be pleased with them) inquired, “What is the expiation for neglecting the prayer?” Allāh’s Messenger (peace and blessings upon him) replied, “Oversleeping does not mean that you have neglected the prayer, neglecting the prayer is to avoid performing it until its time elapses - See more at: http://www.islamicte...ers/#entry62912

Now when I look at  the hadith and think more deeply, feeling unsure about what the hadith actually suggests. Ulama understand better not me :( Feeling embarrassed and annoyed why I doubted >_<

sorry but for a muqallid it does actually apply. Whether you accept it or not does not change it -

I'm not saying don't do taqlid. I'm just saying, did you really not feel unsatisfaction and urge to know the proof in your whole life? If you don't intend to pick and choose just wanna know the proofs for your own satisfaction, seriously what's wrong with that?

Was-salam.

• Dawah Team

i had posted a long explanation of my own feelings about this...unfortunately it seems to have been lost while the site was down ):

will see later when more time

Oh so sad.

Okay :insh:

May Allah reward you api for your efforts.

Aameen.

In short,  what i tried to explain was that Taqleed is the safer and easier option...Look at the definition of Taqleed...

Definition of Taqleed

To follow the teachings of one of the Imams in all matters of the Sharee’at without demanding proof and with the conviction that his teachings are according to the Qur’an and Sunnah is called Taqleed.

Like when consulting a doctor. Once diagnosis is given we do not ask for references from his medical books. Why? Because we have trust in his expertise in the field of knowledge. Same with other professionals. The only thing is to make sure the doctor is qualified. So similarly when we're given a fatwa by a qualified, authentic scholar, we do not need to ask for proofs because we have conviction that the fatwa is based on correct sources. When there is a difference of opinion among scholars then I tend to go with the opinion of the scholar i trust the most...and this is being a "Muqallad"

Some would say I'm following "Blindly"...maybe so, but i'm not following the blind...yes, it would be foolish for a blind person to follow another blind person.

Lets take this topic....When you asked the question my heart did not have doubts about making up salaah. However as i searched for you, i understood the ins and outs of the topic. So whenever Allah ta'ala opens such doors of understaning then noorul 'alaa noor!

• Dawah Team

Do you want to say it's okay to know the evidence but we shouldn't be skeptical about Ulama's opinions?

OR do you mean, neither should we demand the proofs nor should we doubt the opinions of Ulama?

When we follow the Imams I also don't like the term "blind following".

Most of time I feel safe to follow Hanafi Ulama without knowing the evidences, I trust them. But you know, sometimes I doubt they may go wrong, I'm sorry but this is what I see as fact, if none of Ulama could make mistakes, there simply wouldn't be so many sects, so many ikhtilafat even within the sect, I'm a Muqallid even if I doubt I still follow Hanafi Ulama. I've promised myself that I'll follow ulama's opinions even if I get satisfied by their answers or not, and if I doubt I always ask the Ulama and follow theirs explanations or interpretations of any Hadiths, It's still taqleed, isn't it? Or would you say that I'm not doing taqleed of hanafi madhhab? I follow Islam the way I feel I should do. I'm sorry if I disappoint you. I'm happy you remain calm and aren't harsh or stern just because I'm differing with you. If I'm wrong may Allah forgive me and guide me. I hope we all dine together in the gardens of Jannah together laugh at our fallibilities and remember the nice words spoken together.

Wassalam.

:wasalam:

Oh my dear Haya...you are not disappointing me! Aameen to lovely du'a at the end!

You are young and you probably interact with other young people of differing opinions. Also there is the internet, with all its benefits there are also negative aspects of it. The above is about how  I personally feel about taqleed.

Take the question of 8 or 20 Taraweeh....for years i never even knew this question was there. Then when I did come across it I was convinced even without asking Ulama that  the ulama are correct i.e. it has to be 20 rakats and not 8... which is prayed all over the world for generations. Similar were my feelings when you asked about the hadith regarding Qadha salaah. I just dont need proofs to be convinced. Yes i may wonder at the explanations and even ask BUT not because i need to be satisfied but so I know the answers to these questions...and this is because i have a lot of contact with young women many of whom are revert sisters. Like yourself they sometimes need explanations/proofs before they are content.

That does not mean you're not doing taqleed. Yes, if the case is that you need to be satisfied then by all ask authentic sources...that is much better than taking your deen from laypersons who themselves are not from among "Those who know". - i.e. the blind following the blind. In my case my questions are more to do what is correct and incorrect understand rather than the proofs or explanations of Qur'anic veres and Hadith on any matter.

As for differences of opinion, they will always be there and always have been, right from the time of the Sahaba RA. In which case i tend to follow the opinion of those towards whom my heart inclines. Lets takes the question of pictures, digital or otherwise. My heart just will not incline towards this opinion even though I respect and love those Ulama - there are so many Ulama who allow their videos taken right? But I also know those many many Ulama who will not allow it. So i personally do not take or keep pictures and avoid videos as far as i can. Do you see what I mean?

so, what you gona serve when i visit you in jannah : )

• Dawah Team

Do you see what I mean?

I see. I got the feeling I should understand this simple point that as a Muqallid I shouldn't demand the proofs and should avoid doubting the Ulama, when so many people saying this to me over and over who are more knowledgeable and experienced than me. I can't guaranty you, but I will just try (Ameen).

Yes suhbah has its great impact on us, I myself experienced this, initially I was more inclined to salafiam than any other group cos I lived with them but I started to see their errors only after I joined SF.

So, what you gona serve when i visit you in jannah? : )

Biryani :)

But do you know, what I want from Allah? My own chocolate milk river in Jannah! You won't be allowed to drink unless you pay rent ;)

See below Honey api Acacia already promised me that she won't touch it without my permission.You'd also have to do the same before visiting me in Jannah :)

Honey api Acacia's words: "Good, and the pinar of your chocolate milk will originate from the mountains I'll be hiking where there are no boogey men, bears, poisonous snakes and lions! :) But everyone is welcome to hike the mountains with me, free of charge... :) and I won't touch the chocolate milk unless I get permission from my canim first. Insha'Allah. May Allah Ta'aala grant us a place in His Jannah."

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is Repentance enough for Missed Prayers?

Answered by SunniPath Answer Service Team

I have missed about six years of salaat and am now regretting that I did. Can you please tell me if simple repentance is enough, or do I have to make up all the prayers I missed? Can you please provide me with a strong proof? I was told that a simple true repentance is enough, because Islam is supposed to make life easier, not harder.

Answer:
bism01.jpg

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuhu,

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate

From a previous question answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani:

The position of all four schools of Sunni law is that it is obligatory (fard) to make up all missed prayers, regardless of why they were missed. And prayer is the first thing we will be questioned about on the Day of Judgement, as the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) informed us.

The position held by some contemporary modernists about not having to make up missed prayers is a deviant (shadhdh) position that is absolutely unacceptable. For details, check Reliance of the Traveller, which is a book every Sunni household should have.

Please also see the following link in answer to your question:

Wassalam,

SunniPath Fiqh Team

• Like 1

Nawawi on making up missed prayers: scholarly consensus

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Answer:

bism01.jpg

Imam Nawawi stated in his al-Majmu` Sharh al-Muhadhdhab (3.86):

There is consensus (ijma`) of the scholars whose opinion counts that whoever leaves a prayer intentionally must make it up. Abu Muhammad Ali Ibn Hazm differed with them on this, saying that such an individual cannot ever make them up and it is not at all valid to make them up. Rather, he said, one must do much good works and voluntary prayer in order that ones scales be heavied on the day of judgement and one must seek Allahs forgiveness and repent. This position of his, along with being in opposition to scholarly consensus (ijma`), is invalid in terms of the proof

Among the proofs for the obligation to makeup is that if makeup prayers are obligatory for the one who left the prayer forgetfully, then doing so for the one who left the prayer deliberately is more obviously incumbent.

Imam Nawawi is referring here to the hadith related by Anas that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said,

Whoever forgets a prayer must perform it when they remember it [bukhari (597), and Muslim (684)]

After Imam Nawawis time, the aberrant position of Ibn Hazm was embraced by Ibn Taymiyya and his loyal student, Ibn Qayyim, and soundly rejected by the scholars in their time and after.

In our times, this aberrant (shadhdh) opinion has been adopted by some modernists, but it remains invalid to follow.

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Qadha Salaah

Qadha Salaah is the performance of obligatory Salaah that were not performed at their appointed times. It is compulsory to compensate missed Salaah by making Qadha of them unless the Salaah was missed due to insanity or an extended loss of consciousness like a person in a coma.

This ruling only applies to obligatory Salaah and not to Sunnah and Nafl Salaah. Hence for Fajr Salaah the Qadha will be 2 Rakaats Fardh; for Zuhr it will be 4 Rakaats Fardh; for Asr it will be 4 Rakaats Fardh; for Maghrib it will be 3 Rakaats Fardh and for Esha it will be 4 Rakaats Fardh with the additional 3 Rakaats Witr Waajib.

In completing Qadha Salaah, preference will be given to performing Qadha Salaah over Nafl Salaah. Hence during the times allocated for Nafl Salaah, Qadha Salaah should be performed. This is because there is no accountability for the non-performance of Nafl, unlike Qadha for which a person is accountable.

It is important to draw up a schedule for completing missed Salaah so that its performance may be completed systematically. If a person was genuinely unable to perform the Qadha Salaah during their lifetime, they may bequeath up to 1/3rd of their estate towards paying Fidyah (monetary compensation) for the missed Salaah. This is not a substitute for Qadha Salaah but it is hoped that the Fidyah will serve as an atonement for the same.

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians