IslamicTeachings.org

When Praised

What to do when some one praises you- Mufti Taqi Usmani

dua when praised final.jpg
(reported from Imam Auza’i  in Shu’ab al -iman of Imam Baihaqi)

Imam Baihaqi reported in Shu'ab al-Iman from Imam Auza’i (R.A) “When some one praises a person infront of him, he should say:

Allahumma anta a’alamu bee minnafsee wa ana a’alamu binafsee minan naas Allaahumma laa tu'aakhidhnee bimaa yaqooloona, waghfir lee maa laa ya'lamoona”

" Oh Allah! You know me better than myself and I know about myself  better than what the people know about me.  Oh Allah do not call me to account for what they say & forgive me for what they have no knowledge of (i.e. my faults and defects)."

The praise of people is not less than a fitnah for those who serve the deen by speech or writing. So, praising in front of the person is prohibited as it gives rise to the disease of vanity. Imam Auza’i has prescribed this du’a to cure it.

Shaykh Dr. Abdul Hai Arifi (R.A)'s advise:

Shaykh Dr. Abdul Hai Arifi (R.A) used to say that if someone praises you, then say in your heart, “Oh Allah! All thanks be to you that you have shown only my virtues to this person, for, if you were to expose my weaknesses and defects, he would hate me.”

He would also say, “ Desire for fame and praise cannot be satisfied by one’s own effort but it is up to others to fulfill it. Even if it is fulfilled, it is very short lived. Man should think, “what is the benefit achieved from this praise”?

Source

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the following du'a on being praised found online:

اللهمَ اجْعَلْنِى خَيْرًا مِمَّا يَظُنُّونَ وَاغْفِرْ لِى مَا لَا يَعْلَمُونَ وَلَا تُؤَاخِذْنِى بِمَا يَقُولُون

Allahumma-j'alnee khayran mimmaa yadhunnoon wa-ghfir lee maa laa ya'lamoon wa laa tu'aakhidhnee bi maa yaqooloon.

O Allāh, make me better than what they think of me, and forgive me for what they do not know about me,

and do not take me to account for what they say about me.

It is stated on these sites that:

This du’a is mentioned in a book called “Al-Adab al-Mufrad” by Imam Al-Bukhari. This supplication was not taught to us by the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam), but it is one that his best friend, Abu Bakr (radi Allahu anhu) would make after being praised (some narrations state that it was a duaa of Ali radi Allahu anhu)

Alhamdulillah on enquiring, the following reply was sent by Mufti Zubair Dudha of the Islamic Tarbiyah Academy

This narrration appears in Adabul Mufrad. However it does not state Hazrat Abu Bakr (Radiyallaha Anhu) but rather says one of the Sahaabah. It is mentioned in Ihyaa Uloomuddin of Imam Ghazaali (Rahimahullah) that Ali (Radiyallahu Anhu) used to recite this dua.

There is no problem in making Dua even if it is not narrated from Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). What is established from the practice of the Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum) is also regarded as part of Deen.

And Allah Knows Best

Mufti Zubair Dudha

Darul Ifta

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

A cure for praises

A spiritual student (murid) wrote:

When some one praises me in front of me, I have contradictory feelings in my heart about it. I like it and at the same time I stop those praising me to not praise me. Please guide me on how I should handle this correctly. Jazaak Allah

Hadhrat Mufti Taqi Usmani sahib (Hafizahullah) replied:

“Spontaneous natural happiness is not detrimental. On these occasions contemplate that, all praise is due to Allah SWT, He made them see my good state. If they were to know of my reality they would have hated me.”

(Meraj us Salikeen)