IslamicTeachings.org

Sunnats and Aadaab of Ramadhaan

ummtaalib

Sunnats and Aadaab of Ramadhaan – Part 1

Preparation

1. Start preparing for the month of Ramadhaan well in advance. Some of the pious elders would prepare six months in advance.

2. Make a timetable for how one will utilise the valuable moments of Ramadhaan.

عن أبي سعيد الخدري رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال من صام رمضان وعرف حدوده وتحفظ مما ينبغي له أن يتحفظ كفر ما قبله  رواه ابن حبان في صحيحه والبيهقي (الترغيب و الترهيب رقم 1474)

Hadhrat Abu Saeed Khudri (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever fasts the month of Ramadhaan and acknowledges its boundaries and limits and ensures that he fulfils the rights of ramadhann as he ought to fulfil it, all his previous sins will be forgiven.

3. If a person has any outstanding rights in relation to the Creator (e.g. qadha salaah, qadha fasts unpaid zakaat etc) or the creation (e.g. one has oppressed someone or hurt anyone in any way) or any unsettled debts, then before the month of Ramadhaan enters, he should sort out his affairs and fulfil all outstanding obligations in order for him to be able to derive the full blessings of the month of Ramadhaan.

4. Try to gradually increase your ibaadat from before Ramadhaan and get into a set routine of making ibaadat so that it will be easy to carry out ibaadat during the month of Ramadhaan.

5. Engage in plenty of istighfaar and du`aa from before Ramadhaan .

6. When the month of Rajab comes, recite the following duaa abundantly:

اَللّهُمَّ بَارِكْ لَنَا فِيْ رَجَبٍ وَّ شَعْبَان وَ بَلِّغْنَا رَمَضَان

“O Allah! Bless us in the months of Rajab and Sha’baan and take us forth to the month of Ramadhaan.”

عن أنسٍ رضي الله عنه قال كَانَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ سَلَّمَ إذَا دَخَلَ رَجَبٌ قَالَ اَللّهُمَّ بَارِكْ لَنَا فِيْ رَجَبٍ وَّشَعْبَانَ وَبَلِّغْنَا رَمَضَان  (شعب الايمان رقم 3815)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that whenever the month of Rajab would arrive, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would make the following dua, “O Allah! Bless us in the months of Rajab and Sha’baan and take us forth to the month of Ramadhaan.”

7. With the approach of Ramadhaan recite the du`aa:

اَللّهُمَّ سَلِّمْنِيْ لِرَمَضَان وَ سَلِّمْ رَمَضَانَ لِيْ وَ سَلِّمْهُ لِيْ مِتَقَبَّلا

O Allah! Safeguard me for the Month of Ramadhaan (by making me see the Month of Ramadhaan healthy and fit so that I can take maximum benefit from it), and safeguard the Month of Ramadhaan for me (by making the conditions in it such that I can take maximum benefit from it) and accept it from me

عن عبادة بن الصامت قال: كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يعلمنا هؤلاء الكلمات إذا جاء رمضان اللهم سلمني لرمضان وسلم رمضان لي وسلمه لي متقبلا. رواه الطبرناني في الدعاء والديلمي وسنده حسن. (كنز العمال رقم 24277)

Hadhrat Ubaadah bin Saamit (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would teach the Sahaabah the following duaa at the approach of Ramadhaan:

اَللّهُمَّ سَلِّمْنِيْ لِرَمَضَان وَ سَلِّمْ رَمَضَانَ لِيْ وَ سَلِّمْهُ لِيْ مِتَقَبَّلا

8. Any nafl (voluntary good deed) carried out in the month of Ramadhaan fetches the reward of a fardh act and the reward of a fardh act carried out in Ramadhaan is multiplied 70 fold.

عن سلمان رضي الله عنه قال خطبنا رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم في آخر يوم من شعبان…  من تقرب فيه بخصلة من الخير كان كمن أدى فريضة فيما سواه ومن أدى فريضة فيه كان كمن أدى سبعين فريضة فيما سواه (الترغيب و الترهيب رقم 1483)

Hadhrat Salmaan (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) delivered a khutbah on the last day of Sha’baan, (wherein he mentioned): “Whoever intends drawing near to Allah Ta’ala by performing any virtuous deed (nafl), for such person shall be the reward like the one who performed a fardh in any other time. And whoever performs a fardh, shall be blessed with the reward of seventy faraaidh in any other time.

• Like 2

Sunnats and Aadaab of Ramadhaan – Part 2

1. Refrain from anything that is doubtful or haraam whether it is doubtful food or actions etc.

2. Increase four actions in Ramadhaan:

(a) The recitation of the kalimah ‘laa ilaaha illallah’

(b) istighfaar

© seeking entrance into Jannah

(d) seeking protection from Jahannum

عن سلمان رضي الله عنه قال خطبنا رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم في آخر يوم من شعبان… واستكثروا فيه من أربع خصال خصلتين ترضون بهما ربكم وخصلتين لا غناء بكم عنهما  فأما الخصلتان اللتان ترضون بهما ربكم فشهادة أن لا إله إلا الله وتستغفرونه وأما الخصلتان اللتان لا غناء بكم عنهما  فتسألون الله الجنة وتعوذون به من النار (الترغيب و الترهيب رقم 1483)

Hadhrat Salmaan (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) delivered a khutbah on the last day of Sha’baan (wherein he mentioned): “And (in this month) carry out four actions in abundance. Two actions are to please your Rabb and two actions are such that you cannot do without it. The two actions which will be pleasing to your Rabb is the recitation of the kalimah “Laa ilaaha illallah” and seeking His forgiveness. The two actions that you cannot do without is asking Allah Ta’ala for entry into Jannah, and seeking deliverance from the fire of Jahannum.

3. Make abundant duaa during Ramadhaan. The duaa of a fasting person is readily accepted, especially the duaa that is made before iftaar.

عن أبي هريرة قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ثلاثة لا ترد دعوتهم الصائم حتى يفطر والإمام العادل ودعوة المظلوم يرفعها الله فوق الغمام ويفتح لها أبواب السماء ويقول الرب وعزتي لأنصرنك ولو بعد حين (ترمذي رقم 3598)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “There are three people whose Duaas are not rejected; The fasting person until he breaks his fast, the just ruler, and the duaa of the oppressed which Allah Ta’ala lifts above the clouds and opens the doors of the heavens for it. Allah Ta’ala says ‘I take a qasm on My honour, I will definitely assist you, even though it may be after some time.”

عن عمرو بن شعيب، عن أبيه، عن جده، قال: سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول:  للصائم عند إفطاره دعوة مستجابة ". وكان عبد الله بن عمرو إذا أفطر دعا أهله وولده ودعا (شعب الايمان رقم 3624)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “At the time of iftaar, the fasting person’s duaas are accepted.”  Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiallahu Anhu) would call his family and children at the time of iftaar and engage in duaa.

4. The month of Ramadhaan is known as the month of the Qur’aan. Hence, one should recite as much Qur’aan as possible. Huffaaz should recite much more than the non-huffaaz.

5. Fasting is a great ibaadat, hence during the fast one should ensure that one does not involve oneself in any action whereby the reward of the fast is lost. One should exercise caution in refraining from all types of ‘la ya`ni’ (vain talk and futile activities etc.).

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم رب صائم ليس له من صيامه إلا الجوع ورب قائم ليس له من قيامه إلا السهر (ابن ماجة رقم 1690)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Many are the ones who fast, attaining nothing by such fasting except for hunger, and many are the ones performing salaah by night attaining nothing by it, except for the discomfort of staying awake at night.”

6. During the fast one should refrain from quarrelling, fighting and entering into arguments. If someone wishes to engage the fasting person into an argument, he should respectfully say to him: ‘I am a fasting person’ (i.e. it does not behove a fasting person to enter into quarrels, fights and arguments).

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : وإذا كان يوم صوم أحدكم فلا يرفث ولا يصخب فإن سابه أحد أو قاتله فليقل إني امرؤ صائم (بخاري رقم 1904)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “During the fast, one should not engage in obscene talk or act in an ignorant manner by shouting and yelling. If anyone hurls abuse at you or swears you, or fights with you, then you should (respectfully) say ‘I am fasting’.  

7. Ramadhaan grants one a good opportunity to perform tahajjud as one is awake at the time of sehri.

8. Try to complete all commitments and necessary duties before Ramadhaan so that all one’s time can be dedicated and devoted to ibaadat.

عن عبادة بن الصامت رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم قال يوما وحضر رمضان أتاكم رمضان شهر بركة يغشاكم الله فيه فينزل الرحمة ويحط الخطايا ويستجيب فيه الدعاء ينظر الله تعالى إلى تنافسكم فيه ويباهي بكم ملائكته فأروا الله من أنفسكم خيرا فإن الشقي من حرم فيه رحمة الله عز و جل رواه الطبراني ورواته ثقات إلا أن محمد بن قيس لا يحضرني فيه جرح ولا تعديل (الترغيب و الترهيب رقم 1490)

Hadhrat ‘Ubaadah bin Saamit (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion close to Ramadhaan, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed the Sahaabah saying: “Ramadhaan, the month full of blessings is about to dawn upon you. It is in this month wherein Allah Ta’ala turns His special mercies towards you, forgives your sins, accepts your duaas and supplications, looks at your vying with each other in carrying out good deeds (to please Allah Ta’ala) and boasts to His angels about you. Hence, show Allah Ta’ala your works of piety and righteousness. For certainly the most unfortunate one is the one who is deprived of the mercy of Allah Ta’ala in this blessed month.”

• Like 1

Sunnats and Aadaab of Ramadhaan – Part 3

1. Spend time in the company of the pious servants of Allah Ta’ala in order to derive maximum benefit from this month.

2. There is a lot of barakah (blessings) in waking up for sehri. Hence, one should fulfil the sunnah of sehri before commencing the fast.

عن أبي سعيد الخدري رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم السحور كله بركة فلا تدعوه ولو أن يجرع أحدكم جرعة من ماء فإن الله عز و جل وملائكته يصلون على المتسحرين رواه أحمد وإسناده قوي  (الترغيب و الترهيب رقم 1623)

Hadhrat Abu Saeed Khudri (radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Sehri is full of blessings. Hence, do not omit the sunnah of sehri, even if one is able to have a sip of water at the time of sehri (one should do so in order to fulfil the sunnah of sehri). Certainly Allah Ta’ala descends His special grace upon those who wake up for sehri and the malaaikah make special duaa for them.

وعن عمرو بن العاص رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم  فصل ما بين صيامنا وصيام أهل الكتاب أكلة السحر. (مسلم رقم 1096)

Hadhrat Amr bin Aas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The difference between our fasts and the fasts of the Ahle kitaab is the eating of sehri.”

3. It is preferable to have sehri during the last portion of the night (i.e. a little before subh-saadiq).

عن أنس بن مالك رضي الله عنه أن نبي الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وزيد بن ثابت تسحرا فلما فرغا من سحورهما قام نبي الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إلى الصلاة فصلى قلنا لأنس كم كان بين فراغهما من سحورهما ودخولهما في الصلاة قال قدر ما يقرأ الرجل خمسين آية (بخاري رقم 576)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and Hadhrat Zaid bin Thaabit (Radhiallahu Anhu) sat to partake of sehri. When they completed with the sehri, Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) stood up to perform the Fajr salaah. The companions of Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) asked him, “What was the duration of time after they completed sehri till the time the Fajr salaah was performed?” Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) replied: “The duration was the time it would take a person to recite fifty verses of the Qur’an.”

4. One should have iftaar immediately after sunset.

عن سهل رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : لا يزال الناس بخير ما عجلوا الفطر. قال أبو عيسى حديث سهل بن سعد حديث حسن صحيح  (ترمذي رقم 699)

Hadhrat Sahl (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “People will continue to remain upon goodness as long as they hasten in opening their fast.”

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم  قال الله تعالى أحب عبادي إلي أعجلهم فطرا. (ترمذي رقم 700)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said that Allah Ta’ala says: Those servants who are most beloved in My sight are those who hasten to open their fasts at the time of iftaar.

5. It is best to open one’s fast with dates and water.

عن سلمان بن عامر قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم  إذا أفطر أحدكم فليفطر على تمر فإنه بركة فإن لم يجد تمرا فالماء فإنه طهور (ترمذي رقم 658)

Hadhrat Salmaan bin Aamir (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “At the time of iftaar one should open his fast with dates as this is full of blessings, and if this is not possible then he should drink water as this is a means of purification.”

عن أنس قال : كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم يفطر قبل أن يصلي على رطبات فإن لم تكن فتميرات فإن لم تكن تميرات حسى حسوات من ماء . (ترمذي رقم 696)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would open his fast with fresh dates before performing the Maghrib salaah. If fresh dates were not found, then Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would open his fast with dry dates. If dry dates were not found, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would open his fast with a few sips of water.

6. At the time of iftaar recite the following du`aa:

اَللّهُمَّ لَكَ صُمْتُ وَ عَلى رِزْقِكَ أَفْطَرْتُ فَتَقَبَّلْ مِنِّيْ إِنَّكَ أَنْتَ السَّمِيعُ العَلِيم

O Allah, I have kept this fast solely for You, and with Your sustenance I have opened my fast. Accept this fast from me. Indeed You are All hearing and All knowing.

ذَهَبَ الظَّمَأُ وَابْتَلَّتِ الْعُرُوقُ وَثَبَتَ الأَجْرُ إِنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ

(My) thirst has been quenched, and the veins have been moistened and the reward has been obtained (by Allah Ta’ala) Insha Allah.

عن معاذ بن زهرة قال : إن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أفطر قال : اللهم لك صمت وعلى رزقك أفطرت. ( أبو داود رقم 2360)

Hadhrat Muaaz bin Zuhrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following Duaa at the time of opening the fast:

اَللّهُمَّ لَكَ صُمْتُ وَ عَلى رِزْقِكَ أَفْطَرْتُ

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما قال كان النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم إذا أفطر قال : لك صمت وعلى رزقك أفطرت فتقبل مني إنك أنت السميع العليم رواه الطبراني في الكبير وفيه عبد الملك بن هارون وهو ضعيف (مجمع الزوائد رقم 4893)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following Duaa at the time of opening the fast:

اَللّهُمَّ لَكَ صُمْتُ وَ عَلى رِزْقِكَ أَفْطَرْتُ فَتَقَبَّلْ مِنِّيْ إِنَّكَ أَنْتَ السَّمِيعُ العَلِيم

عن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما قال : كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا أفطر قال : ذهب الظمأ وابتلت العروق وثبت الأجر إن شاء الله  ( أبو داود رقم 2359)

Hadhrat ibn Umar (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following Duaa at the time of opening the fast:

ذَهَبَ الظَّمَأُ وَابْتَلَّتِ الْعُرُوقُ وَثَبَتَ الأَجْرُ إِنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ

7.  Be generous in the month of Ramadhaan. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would express the most amount of generosity in the month of Ramadhaan compared to the other months of the year.

عن ابن عباس قال كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أجود الناس وكان أجود ما يكون في رمضان حين يلقاه جبريل وكان يلقاه في كل ليلة من رمضان فيدارسه القرآن فلرسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أجود بالخير من الريح المرسلة (بخاري رقم 6)

adhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was the most generous of people. He would reach the peak of his generosity in the month of Ramadhaan when Hadhrat Jibra’eel (Alaihis Salaam) would come to meet him (to make dhor and revise the Qur’an). Hadhrat Jibra’eel (Alaihis Salaam) would meet him every night in Ramadhaan wherein they both used to recite the Qur’an Majeed  to each other. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was more generous than the (beneficial) wind that blew (i.e. the wind is known for having no boundaries and it reaches all places, hence the generosity of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) even surpassed the limits of the wind in showing love and compassion for the creation).  

Ihtaaud Deen

• Like 1

:sl:

Is completing the Qur'an once in Ramadan Sunnah?

wa'alaykumus salaam

I have not read anywhere that its a sunnah. Wherever recitation of the Qur'an is mentioned in books or bayans, it is mentioned that we should recite as much as possible (more for the huffaaz) however i have heard it said that our target should be minimum, completing it at least once.

Also see this: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?75985-Immense-Rewards-for-Reciting-the-Qur-an-in-Ramadan

• Like 1

• Dawah Team

wa'alaykumus salaam

I have not read anywhere that its a sunnah. Wherever recitation of the Qur'an is mentioned in books or bayans, it is mentioned that we should recite as much as possible (more for the huffaaz) however i have heard it said that our target should be minimum, completing it at least once.

Also see this: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?75985-Immense-Rewards-for-Reciting-the-Qur-an-in-Ramadan

Okay.  :jazak:

• 3 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Ramadhaan – Part 4

1. Ensure that you perform the twenty rakaat taraweeh salaah every night. The taraweeh salaah is an emphasised sunnah. In the era of Hadhrat Umar (Radhiallahu Anhu), all the Sahaabah had consensus on performing twenty rakaat taraweeh. At least try to complete one khatam of the Qur’aan in the taraaweeh Salaah.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : من قام رمضان إيمانا واحتسابا غفر له ما تقدم من ذنبه (ابو داود رقم 1373)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The one who stands in Taraweeh salaah in Ramadhaan with Imaan (complete belief and faith) and with the hope of reward, all his past (minor) sins will be forgiven.”

عن عبد الرحمن بن عوف رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إن الله تبارك و تعالى فرض صيام رمضان عليكم و سننت لكم قيامه فمن صامه و قامه إيمانا و احتسابا خرج من ذنوبه كيوم ولدته أمه (سنن النسائي 1/308)

Hadhrat Abdur Rahman bin Auf reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Verily Allah Ta`ala has ordained the fast of Ramadhaan upon you and I have prescribed for you standing during its nights in Taraaweeh Salaah. Whosoever fasts during the days and stands up during the night in Taraaweeh Salaah with true faith and hope of reward from Allah Ta’aala, he will be cleansed from all his sins like the day his mother bore him.”

عن ابى الحسناء أن علي بن أبي طالب أمر رجلا أن يصلي بالناس خمس ترويحات عشرين ركعة – باب ما روي في عدد ركعات القيام في  شهر رمضان (سنن الكبرى للبيهقي رقم 4805)

Abul Hasana says, “Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu) ordered a person to perform twenty rakaats of Taraweeh with the people during Ramadhaan.”

عن الأعمش عن زيد بن وهب قال كان عبد الله بن مسعود يصلي لنا في شهر رمضان فينصرف عليه ليل قال الأعمش كان يصلي عشرين ركعة و يوتر بثلاث (عمدة القاري 11/127)

A’amash says, “Abdullah ibn Mas’ood (Radhiallahu Anhu) used to lead the taraweeh salaah during the month of Ramadhaan for the people and he used to perform 20 rakaats and would perform 3 witr.”

روى البيهقي بإسناد صحيح انهم كانوا يقيمون على عهد عمر بعشرين ركعة و علي عهد عثمان و علي (و هكذا هو في عمدة القاري) (فتح الملهم 2/320)

Allamah Ayni says, “The illustrious Sahaabah of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) had performed twenty Rakaats during the reign of Hazrat Umar (Radhiallahu Anhu), and Hazrat Uthmaan and Hazrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhuma).” (Ayni's Sharh-e- Bukhari Vol.7 P.178)

2. Form the habit of performing good deeds in the month of Ramadhaan and shun the habit of committing evil deeds and vices.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم إذا كان أول ليلة من شهر رمضان صفدت الشياطين ومردة الجن وغلقت أبواب النار فلم يفتح منها باب وفتحت أبواب الجنة فلم يغلق منها باب وينادي مناد يا باغي الخير أقبل ويا باغي الشر أقصر ولله عتقاء من النار وذلك كل ليلة (ترمذي رقم 682)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When the first night of Ramadhaan enters, the Shayateen and rebellious Jinnaat are chained, the doors of Jahannum are closed and no door remains open, the doors of Jannat are opened and no door remains closed, and a caller announces: ‘O the one seeking piety and good, advance. O the one seeking evil, restrain (from your evil).’ And Allah Ta’ala emancipates many souls from the fire of Jahannum, and this transpires every night throughout the month of Ramadhaan."

3.    Sit for i`tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadhaan if you are able to.

عن ابن عباس  الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم قال في المعتكف  هو يعتكف الذنوب ويجري له من الحسنات كعامل الحسنات كلها (ابن ماجة رقم 2108)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said regarding the one sitting in I’tikaaf: “The mu’takif (remaining in the Musjid) stays away from committing sins, and every moment he receives the reward for carrying out the various forms of ibaadat that he would have been able to carry out had he not been in the state of I’tikaaf.

عن ابن عباس  الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم قال من اعتكف يوما ابتغاء وجه الله تعالى جعل الله بينه وبين النار ثلاث خنادق أبعد مما بين الخافقين رواه الطبراني في الأوسط والبيهقي واللفظ له (الترغيب  رقم

1650)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: Whoever sits in I’tikaaf for a day seeking the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala, Allah Ta’ala will place between him and the fire of Jahannum three trenches, each trench as far as the distance between the East and the West.

4.    Search for Laylat-ul-Qadr during the odd nights of the last ten days of Ramadhaan.

عن أنس بن مالك قال : دخل رمضان فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : إن هذا الشهر قد حضركم وفيه ليلة خير من ألف شهر من حرمها فقد حرم الخير كله ولا يحرم خيرها إلا محروم  (ابن ماجه رقم 1644)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that when Ramadhaan began Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Certainly this month (of Ramadhaan) has dawned upon you, and within it there is a night greater than a thousand months. The one who is deprived of this night, has certainly been deprived of all good. And only the truly deprived ones will be deprived of the good of this night.”

5.    On the odd nights, perform some ibaadat and then go to sleep with the intention of awakening later at night. Do not sleep without making ibaadat, perchance one may not get up in time.

6.    On the night of Qadr recite the following du`aa:

اَللّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنّيْ

O Allah, Indeed You are most forgiving, You love to forgive, so please forgive me.

عن عائشة قالت : قلت يا رسول الله أرأيت إن علمت أي ليلة ليلة القدر ما أقول فيها ؟ قال قولي اللهم إنك عفو كريم تحب العفو فاعف عني قال هذا حديث حسن صحيح (ترمذي رقم 3513)

Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiallahu Anha) reports that on one occasion she asked Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) what duaa to recite if she finds Laylatul Qadr. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) taught her to recite the following duaa:

اَللّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنّيْ

7.    Spend some time on the night of Eid in ibaadat.

عن أبي أمامة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال من قام ليلتي العيدين محتسبا لم يمت قلبه يوم تموت القلوب  رواه ابن ماجه ورواته ثقات إلا أن بقية مدلس وقد عنعنه (الترغيب و الترهيب رقم 1655)

Hadhrat Abu Umaamah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever stands up in ibaadat on the two nights of Eid with the hope of attaining reward, his heart will not die the day the hearts (of the sinners) will die.

8.    The one who performs Esha salaah and Fajr salaah with jamaat and he performs twenty rakaats of the Taraweeh salaah with the imaam, Allah will reward him with the reward of standing throughout the night in ibaadat, and if the night was Laylatul Qadr, Allah Ta’ala will reward him with reward of Laylatul Qadr.  

عن عثمان رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : من صلى العشاء في جماعة فكأنما قام نصف الليل ومن صلى الصبح في جماعة فكأنما صلى الليل كله . (مسلم رقم 656)

Hadhrat Uthmaan (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The one who performs his Esha salaah with jamaat (in the Musjid), then it is as though he has spent half the night in ibaadat. (And if he follows it up) and performs the Fajr salaah with jamaat (in the Musjid), Allah Ta’ala will reward him with the reward of spending the entire night in ibaadat.

عن أبي ذر: قال … فقام بنا حتى ذهب ثلث الليل ثم لم يقم بنا في السادسة وقام بنا في الخامسة حتى ذهب شطر الليل فقلنا له يا رسول الله لو نفلتنا بقية ليلتنا هذه ؟ فقال إنه من قام مع الإمام حتى ينصرف كتب له قيام ليلة (ترمذي رقم 806)

It is reported from Abu Zar (Radhiallahu Anhu) that during the month of Ramadaan on the 25th night Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) led us in the Taraweeh salaah until half the night had passed. We (enjoyed performing the Taraweeh salaah) that after the completion of the salaah we said to Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam): ‘If only you could have continued till the end of the night?’  Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The one who stands with the Imaam and performs the Taraweeh salaah, Allah Ta’ala writes for him the reward of standing the entire night.

9.    After the month of Ramadhaan, one should endeavour to observe the six sunnah fasts of Shawaal.

عن أبي أيوب الأنصاري أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال : من صام رمضان ثم أتبعه ستا من شوال كان كصيام الدهر. (مسلم رقم 1164)

Hadhrat Abu Ayoob Ansaari (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever observes the fasts of Ramadhaan and follows it up with keeping six fasts in Shawaal, then (he will get the reward) as though he fasted the entire year.”

• Like 1