IslamicTeachings.org

Wearing Makeup/Hairgel etc. with Haram or Impure Substances

ummtaalib

Split from HERE

Alhamdulillah found the following answers which covers the issue of wearing makeup with haram ingredients:

Question

What is the Islamic views of Muslims using cosmetics, e.g. lipstick, foundation, perfume, after-shave, etc.or even consuming food that has traces (not the main ingredient) of alcohol in them.

Answer

Question 6(a) Principally, if the alcohol is extracted from grapes or dates it is not permissible. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, “Khamr (wine) is from these two trees, dates and grapes.” (Mishkãt p. 317).   Furthermore, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, ‘Alcohol itself is prohibited and intoxication in every other beverage.’ (Hidaaya vol. 4 p. 497).

However, if the alcohol in foods is not from dates or grape extract but from, for example, ethanol which is fermented from sugar cane mollasses and does not intoxicate, then it is permissible.

Question 6 (b) A: It is not permissible to use cosmetics that contain alcohol from grapes or date extracts. Such cosmetics are impure and Salaat with it is invalid. However, if the alcohol is synthetic, it is pure and permissible to use. Salaat without washing off such cosmetics will be valid. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to differentiate between genuine and synthetic alcohol.

Thus, to be on the safe side, one should rather prefer using cosmetics that are labelled as ‘alcohol-free’, especially when such cosmetics are easily available.

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

askimam

Question

Will the wearing of lipstick or any other type of make up break the fast. Please specify which types of make up

Answer

Lipstick and make up do not break the fast. However, you should consider two issues:
a) Many of these products contain Haraam and impure ingredients. In such a case, it will not be permissible to use such a make up.
b) Many of such products prevent water from reaching the skin. In such a case the Wudhu or Ghusl performed with such make up on will not be valid.

Nevertheless, the fast is not broken.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Moulana Imraan Vawda
FATWA DEPT

askimam

Answered by Ustadha Hedaya Hartford, SunniPath Academy Teacher

Question

Can women wear makeup after wudu and then pray?

Answer:
bism01.jpg

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

You can pray with make-up on if you are sure that it is pure. Since some make-up products contain impurities, you need to make sure that the one you put on does not contain any impure ingredients.

And Allah Most High knows best.

Hedaya Hartford

• Like 1

Using lotions, perfumes, Lip balm, hairgels containing impure substances?

As for your question, If these perfumes and hair gels etc. contain impure substance like urine, stool etc. then it will not be permissible to use them. The same would be the case it they have grapes or dates based alcohol. However, if they have ethyl alcohol or other synthetic non-khamr alcohol in them, then it will be permissible to use them.

Wallahu A'lam

(Mufti AbuHajira)

• Like 1

• Dawah Team

:jazak:

That helped a lot. I use kajal,  lotion, chip-stick, but I'm not sure if it contains impure elements or not. I guess I'd have to refrain from using them during salah, as I'm not sure about their purity. 
  • Like 1