IslamicTeachings.org

Qasr Salaah of a Musaafir (Traveller)

ummtaalib

At which point does a person become a Musafir (Traveller)

Q. I’m going to Johannesburg tomorrow for a few days. I live in Tongaat and the airport is close by to our home.  If I read my Asr at the airport, (King Shaka), will I read full or Qasr Salah considering that I have not yet travelled the Safar distance?

(Query published as received)

A. Once you pass the boundaries of Tongaat, you will be a Musafir. Regardless of the airport being so close to Tongaat and that you have not yet travelled the Safar distance, you are a Musafir upon leaving the boundaries of your hometown as your intended destination is beyond 78 KMs. You will pray Qasr Salaah by reducing the four Rak’ahs of Asr to two if you pray Asr at the airport.

And Allah Knows Best

Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Performing qasar Salaah while travelling to one's destination

Q:

1. If someone intends traveling to a place more than 55 miles (i.e. 88 km) from his hometown but intends staying at his destination for more than 15 days, will he do qasr while traveling to that place?

2. If a person intends going to a place more than 55 miles (i.e. 88 km) from his hometown. After reaching he intends to stay for 15 days. Later on he changes his mind and intends to stay for 2 days. Will he be musafir or muqeem?

b.jpg

A:

1. While traveling he will make qasar. However once he reaches his destination, since he intends staying there for more than 15 days, he will perform complete Salaah.

2. Upon reaching his destination, since he intended staying for 15 days, he will be a muqeem. Through later on changing his mind and intending to stay for 2 days, he will not become a musaafir. Hence he will continue to perform complete Salaah.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

( من خرج من عمارة موضع إقامته ) من جانب خروجه وإن لم يجاوز من الجانب الآخر ( قاصدا ) ولو كافرا ومن طاف الدنيا بلا قصد لم يقصر ( مسيرة ثلاثة أيام ولياليها ) من أقصر أيام السنة ولا يشترط سفر كل يوم إلى الليل بل إلى الزوال ولا اعتبار بالفراسخ على المذهب ( بالسير الوسط مع الاستراحات المعتادة ) حتى لو أسرع فوصل في يومين قصر ولو لموضع طريقان أحدهما مدة السفر والآخر أقل قصر في الأول لا الثاني ( صلى الفرض الرباعي ركعتين ) وجوبا ... ( حتى يدخل موضع مقامه ) (الدر المختار 2/ 121-124)

(و) يبطل ( وطن الإقامة بمثله و ) بالوطن ( الأصلي و ) بإنشاء ( السفر ) والأصل أن الشيء يبطل بمثله وبما فوقه لا بما دونه (الدر المختار 2/ 132)

وكذا إذا عاد من سفره إلى مصره لم يتم حتى يدخل العمران ولا يصير مسافرا بالنية حتى يخرج ويصير مقيما بمجرد النية كذا في محيط السرخسي ثم المعتبرة المجاوزة من الجانب الذي خرج منه حتى لو جاوز عمران المصر قصر وإن كان بحذائه من جانب آخر أبنية كذا في التبيين وإن كان في الجانب الذي خرج منه محلة منفصلة عن المصر وفي القديم كانت متصلة بالمصر لا يقصر الصلاة حتى يجاوز تلك المحلة كذا في الخلاصة (1/139)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• 8 months later...

When should a Musaafir read Qasr Salaah

Q. Mufti sb explain  a masala, if  a person intends going on a journey for  a month then should he read Qasar salaat from the inception of his departure or does he wait for 15 days to pass first and read full salaat then commences with qasar after the 15 days

(Question published as received)

A. Enroute to one's destination, one will read Qasr. When he reaches his destination, he will read full Salaah as he immediately becomes a Muqeem due to his intention of residing in that place for more than 15 days. He will not wait for 15 days to pass to start reading full Salaah. 

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

• 9 months later...

Performing Full Salaah Intentionally on Safr

Q: If a person on safr performs salaah alone and intentionally performs full Salaah, will he be sinful?

bismillah.jpg

A: During safr it is compulsory i upon one to perform qasr salaah. If intentionally he performs full salaah, he will be sinful and the salaah will have to be repeated.

( فلو أتم مسافر إن قعد في ) القعدة ( الأولى تم فرضه و ) لكنه ( أساء ) لو عامدا لتأخير السلام (الدر المختار 2/128)

( لها واجبات ) لا تفسد بتركها وتعاد وجوبا في العمد والسهو إن لم يسجد له وإن لم يعدها يكون فاسقا آثما وكذا كل صلاة أديت مع كراهة التحريم تجب إعادتها (الدر المختار 2/128)

كل صلاة أديت مع كراهة التحريم تعاد أي وجوبا في الوقت وأما بعده فندبا

قال الشامي: وحاصله توقف الحكم بفرضية الأولى على عدم الإعادة وله نظائر كسلام من عليه سجود السهو يخرجه خروجا موقوفا وكفساد الوقتية مع تذكر الفائتة كما سيأتي وكتوقف الحكم بفرضية المغرب في طريق المزدلفة على عدم إعادتها قبل الفجر وبهذا ظهر التوفيق بين القولين وأن الخلاف بينهما لفظي لأن القائل أيضا بأن الفرض هو الثانية أراد به بعد الوقوع وإلا لزم الحكم ببطلان الأولى بترك ما ليس بركن ولا شرط كما مر عن الفتح ولزم أيضا أنه يلزمه الترتيب في الثانية لو تذكر فائتة والغالب على الظن أنه لا يقول بذلك أحد ونظير ذلك القراءة في الصلاة فإن الفرض منها آية والثلاث واجبة والزائد سنة وما ذاك إلا بالنظر إلى ما قبل الوقوع بدليل أنه لو قرأ القرآن كله في ركعة يقع الكل فرضا وكذا لو أطال القيام أو الركوع أو السجود هذا نهاية ما تحرر لي من فتح الملك الوهاب فاغتنمه فإنه من مفردات هذا الكتاب والله تعالى أعلم بالصواب (رد المحتار 2/64-65)

فتاوى محمودية 11/582-583

احسن الفتاوى 4/35

قوله ( وإعادتها بتركه عمدا ) أي ما دام الوقت باقيا وكذا في السهو ان لم يسجد له وإن لم يعدها حتى خرج الوقت تسقط مع النقصان وكراهة التحريم ويكون فاسقا آثما وكذا الحكم في كل صلاة أديت مع كراهة التحريم (حاشية الطحطاوي على مراقي الفلاح ص 247)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• 1 year later...
Rules of Salaah for a Musaafir (traveller)

Q.   As -Salaam-Hu-Allaikum Can u please explain to me how do I perform my salaat when I'm travelling and when I get to a destination and stay there less than 15days,Jazakallah . KIND REGARDS

A. A person who intends to travel a distance of 78 kilometres or 48 miles or more (from the boundaries of one’s city/town) is categorized as a Musaafir (traveller).
If a Musaafir (traveller) intends to remain at a destination for less than fifteen days, he will also be categorized as a Musaafir (traveller). However, if a Musaafir (traveller) intends to remain at a destination for fifteen days or more, he will only be categorized as a Musaafir (traveller) during his journey. Once he reaches his destination, he will not be categorized as a Musaafir (traveller).

As such, if you intend to travel a distance of 78 kilometres or 48 miles or more and stay at a destination for less than fifteen days, you will be categorized as a Musaafir (traveller) during your journey and once you reach your destination.

A Musaafir (traveller) will make Qasr i.e. perform two Rakaats of Fardh Salaah instead of a four Rakaats Fardh Salaah. Qasr will be made in the Fardh Salaahs of Zuhr, Asr and Esha Salaahs. There is no Qasr in the Fardh Salaahs of Fajr and Maghrib Salaahs. Similarly, there is no Qasr in Witr, Sunnah and Nafl Salaahs.

The Sunnah and Nafl Salaahs should be performed if a person is not in a hurry whilst travelling. (Nurul Idaah 99-102)

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.)
Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

• 1 year later...
Q. If someone reads full salaah instead of short salaah on travel, should they make qadha of those salaah?

A. If a person performs the complete 4 Rakaats Fardh Salaah instead of 2 Rakaats on a journey, mistakenly or due to miscalculation of the distance of travel etc., the Salaah performed will be valid. 

However, if the Salaah time remains and a person is made aware of his/her mistake, it will be necessary to repeat the Salaah during the Salaah time. If the Salaah time expires, it will not be necessary to repeat it.

On the other hand, if a person performs the complete 4 Rakaats Fardh Salaah instead of the 2 Rakaats Fardh Salaah on a journey knowingly and intentionally, it will be necessary to repeat all such Salaah performed in this way. (Al Bahrur-Raaiq 2/141 –  Khairul Fataawa 2/681-682)

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.) 

Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
When do you stop reading Qasr? 

Some people say you stop when you get to your home (which means if you stop at someone else’s home you are still mussafir even though it’s in your home boundary) or would you stop as soon as you in your home town boundary. 

(Questioned published as received)

A. A Shari’ traveller (Musaafir) will continue to perform short (Qasr) Salaah until he/she enters the boundaries of his/her city/hometown. Therefore, if one enters the boundaries of his/her city/hometown, one’s status of a Shari’ traveller will end and one will perform full Salaah even if one stopped at another location or at someone’s else’s home within the boundaries of his/her city/hometown. (Fataawa Raheemiyyah 5/173)

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)