IslamicTeachings.org

Training of the self (Islahe Nafs)

Shaykh Abul Hasan Khirqani (RA) used to ride on a lion, bringing with him wood from the jungle on it, and if sometimes the lion would become troublesome, he would whip it with a live snake. A person from Khurasan went to Kharqan to take the pledge (bay'at) at Hadhrat's hands, When Hadhrat's wife asked this man why he had come, he related his reason.

She was a very ill-tempered woman and upon hearing this she recited:

"La howla wala quwwata illah billah" and said: "Who in this world can know the condition of this Buzurg better than me? I am with him day and night. He is a crafty deceiver! How did you get involved with him? Have you no brains?"

She spoke so bitterly to him that he cried and thought to himself that his trip had been wasted. However,the people of the locality urged him to go into the jungle, and meet the Shaykh, and not form any wrong opinion about the Buzurg as his wife was an ill-tempered woman. When he reached the jungle, sure enough, there was Shaykh Abul Hasan Khirqani (RA), seated on the lion's back.

Moulana Jalaluddin Rumi (RA) says that through kashf (divine inspiration), it transpired to Hadhrat that this person had heard his (Shaykh's) wife's bitter talks and was grieved. Hadhrat laughed and asked what the matter was. That man replied: "Hadhrat, your wife is a very bad-tempered woman, why did you marry her?"

Hadhrat replied: "The miracle which you see in front of you i.e. I am seated on a lion while using a live snake as a whip, was attained by patiently bearing the harms caused to me by this woman."

In the words of Moulana Rumii (RA): "If my patience would not tolerate the burden of her ill-temper, then do you think this lion would bear my burden and become my slave." It is the way of Allah, that when He blesses one with a gift, He does so after training of the self (Islahe Nafs).

Treatment for Anger page 15-16

By: Shaikh ul Arab wal Ajam Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Saheb (ra)

• Like 1