IslamicTeachings.org

Sunnats of Eating

ummtaalib

'Umar bin Abu Salamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said to me,

"Mention Allah's Name (i.e., say Bismillah before starting eating), eat with your right hand, and eat from what is near you."

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

'Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: Messenger of Allah sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said,

"When any of you wants to eat, he should mention the Name of Allah in the begining, (i.e., say Bismillah). If he forgets to do it in the beginning, he should say Bismillah awwalahu wa akhirahu (I begin with the Name of Allah at the beginning and at the end)."

[At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud].

The Sunnah Way of Eating

The Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif expressed dislike for over-eating and said that over-eating is ill luck and misfortune. In other words, a person who over eats will be followed by such faults and defects that he will have difficulty and hardship in every place and people will look at him in a bad way.

The Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif used to eat with three fingers, and before wiping and cleaning his hand he used to lick his blessed fingers.

Whenever food is very hot, it should be left covered for a while, so that the emission of steam finishes. In doing so, the Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif has said that this is a method in which barakah may be gained.

Hazrat Anas rah27X23.gif has mentioned that, “I once saw the Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif sitting in a squatting posture and eating dates.”

The posture mentioned means that when one keeps his calves straight and sits on his feet.

Once in a gathering, the number of people eating increased, so the Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif sat with his blessed legs folded (as in Attahiyyat position in Salaah), the reason being that there is humility in sitting like this and there is consideration for other people who are also present because sitting in this manner creates more room for them.

The people eating should not get up before the table cloth has been lifted.

When one is eating with another person then he should not stop eating as long as the other person is eating, even though the stomach has become full, this is so that the other person does not feel ashamed. If one has to stop eating, then he should make an excuse

One should not drink from a water container by putting his mouth on it.

The same prohibition has been applied to placing the mouth on and drinking from a spouted jug, or a goblet meaning a long necked flask or a bottle etc.

One should not breathe into a utensil or blow into it. One should also refrain from placing his mouth on a utensil that is cracked or broken. Many people have the habit of standing up and drinking, one should also refrain from this act.

The Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif never found fault with food, if he liked it then he would eat it. If he did not prefer it, then he would just leave it without complaining.

Hazrat Huzaifa rah27X23.gif has mentioned that the Holy Prophet saw23X22.gif prevented us from eating and drinking in gold and silver utensils. This order is for both men and women.

May Allah Taa'la give us the ability to act upon these Sunnahs of Rasullullah saw23X22.gif.

Ameen

inter-islam

Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah (Radiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When you finish eating, lick your fingers, for you do not know in which particle of food lies Barakah (blessings). In another Hadith narrated by Ibn Abbaas (Radiyallahu Anhu), Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Barakah descends at the middle of the dish, so eat from its sides and do not eat from the middle”  (So that Barakah remains throughout your meal) (Tirmizi)

• 4 months later...

Sunnah posture of sitting while eating

Q: What are the Sunnah postures for eating?

bismillah.jpg

A: The sunnah posture of sitting while eating on the floor is that one sits with both knees on the ground  (in the tashahhud posture), or with the right knee raised.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

فالمستحب في صفة الجلوس للأكل أن يكون جاثيا على ركبتيه وظهور قدميه أو ينصب الرجل اليمنى ويجلس على اليسرى (عمدة القاري 21/44)

أحسن الفتاوى (9/50)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• Like 1

Q: When eating the sunnat is '3 fingers'. Which fingers does this refer to, is the thumb counted as a finger or is it 4 fingers including the thumb.

A: The thumb, index finger and middle finger.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

عن كعب بن مالك أن النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يأكل بثلاث أصابع ولا يمسح يده حتى يلعقها (ابو داود #3850)

قال في بذل المجهود : ( يأكل بثلاث أصابع ) اي الوسطى والسبابة والابهام ( بذل المجهود 5/ 368)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
Sunnah of Eating & Drinking

Sayyiduna Anas Radiyallahu anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu alayhi wa sallm said, “Whoever revives my Sunnah loves me. And whoever loves me, shall be with me in Jannah.” (Sunan Tirmidhi)

1) To spread the dining mat (table cloth). (Bukhari)
2) To wash both hands. (Ibn Majah)
3) To remove one's shoes. (Ibn Majah)
4) To eat with the intention of gaining strength for Ibadah. (At-Targhib wat-Tarhib)
5) To sit on the floor. (Bukhari)
6) To eat together and share the utensils. (Ibn Majah)
7) To eat with the right hand. (Bukhari)
8) To eat from what is closest to you on the plate. (Bukhari)
9) To eat with three fingers, but if the need arises, then to use five fingers is also permissible. (Fathul Bari)
10) To refrain from eating or drinking very hot food or drink. (Kanzul Ummal)
11) Not to blow on the food or drink (to cool it). (Abu Dawud)
12) To lick the fingers after eating. (Muslim)
13) If a morsel falls on the floor, one should pick it up, clean it and eat it. (Muslim)
14) Not to criticise the food. (Bukhari)
15) To clean the plate thoroughly ensuring no food goes to waste. (Muslim)
16) To recite the Duas before & after eating.

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians

• Like 1