IslamicTeachings.org

Virtues of Salaah

ummtaalib

Virtues of Salaah

Abu Hurayra Radiyallahu ‘anhu said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'What do you think would happen if there was a river by someone's door in which he washed five times every day? Do you think that any dirt would remain on him?' They said, 'Not a scrap of dirt would remain on him.' He said, 'That is a metaphor of the five prayers by which Allah wipes out wrong actions.'"

Jäbir ibne-’Abdullah Radiyallahu ‘anhuma narrates that Nabi Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: 'The key to Paradise is Salat and the key to Salat is Wuzu'. (Musnad Ahmad)

Anas Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam said: 'The comfort and delight of my eyes has been placed in Salat.' (Nasai).

Hanzalah Al Usaidi Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam said: 'The person who guards the five times Salat, its Wuzu, its prescribed time, its proper Ruku’ and Sujüd, while perceiving it to be the Right of Allah on him, he is forbidden upon Fire.' (Musnad Ahmad)

Abu Qatadah ibne-Rib’i Radiyallahu ‘anhu reported that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam narrates in a Hadith Qudsi that Allah ‘Azza wa Jall has said:' Verily, I have enjoined upon your Ummah five times Salat, and I have taken upon myself an oath that anyone who observes them at their appointed time, I shall admit him into Paradise; if anyone does not offer them regularly, there is no such guarantee from Me for him (I may punish him or forgive him).'(Abu Dawud)

Abu Hurairah Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam said: 'The five times Salat and the prayer of Friday to Friday, and the fasting of Ramadan to Ramadan, are atonements for sins that have been committed between them, provided the sinner avoids major sins.' (Muslim).

Abdullah ibne-’Amr Radiyallahu ‘anhuma narrates that one day, Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam mentioned Salat and said: 'For him who remains mindful of his Salat, it will be a light and an argument in his favour and a means of his salvation on the Day of Judgement; and for him who is not mindful of his Salat, there shall be neither a light, nor an argument in his favour, nor a means for his salvation. And on the Day of Judgement, he will be with Fir’aun, Hamãn and Ubayy ibne-Khalaf.' (Musnad Ahmad)

Note: Fir’aun was the king of Egypt at the time of Musa ‘Alaihis salam, Hamãn was his minister, and Ubayy ibne-Khalaf was an ardent idolater and adversary of Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam.

Abu Umamah Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam was asked: O Rasulullah! At what time is Du’a the most readily listened to and accepted? He replied: 'The one made during the course of latter part of the night, and after the obligatory Salat'. (Tirmidhi)

Ruwaibah Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates:' I heard Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam saying: Undoubtedly he will not enter Hell-Fire, who has offered Salat before the rising of the sun, and before its setting; that is Fajr and ‘Asr.' (Muslim)

Jundub Al Qasri Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam said: 'He who offers the Fajr Salat, is indeed in the Protection of Allah (so do not trouble those who are under Allah’s Protection); for you will be answerable to Allah for violating this protection; because undoubtedly, if He takes anyone to account for violating this protection, He will catch him and fling him headlong on his face into the Hell-Fire.' (Muslim)

Umme Farwah Radiyallahu ‘anhã narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam was asked: 'Which is the best of the good deeds? He said: To offer Salat at the beginning of its prescribed time.' (Abu Dawud).

Jabir ibne-Abdullah Radiyallahu ‘anhuma narrates: I heard Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam saying: 'Between man and (his entering into) polytheism and unbelief is the abandonment of Salat.' (Muslim)

Note: Scholars of Islam have offered several explanations to this hadith. One is that a person who abandons Salat becomes increasingly arrogant and bold in committing sins, which may endanger his faith. Another explanation is that the one who abandons Salat runs the risk of an evil end.

Abdullah ibne-’Amr ibnil As narrates from his father, who heard from his grandfather Radiyallahu ‘anhuma, who narrated that Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam said: 'Command your children when they are seven years old, to perform Salat; and beat them for not observing it when they are ten years old. And at this age separate their beds (i.e. do not let brothers and sisters sleep together).' (Abu Dawud)

Note: Beating should not cause bodily harm.

'Uthman ibn 'Affan said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, "There is no Muslim man who attends a prescribed prayer and does wudu' for it well and is humble in it and in its bowing, without that being expiation for the sins before it as long as he did not commit any major sin. This will always apply."

islaaminfo.co.za