IslamicTeachings.org

Futile Arguments

ummtaalib

Futile Arguments

by Hazrat Maulana Yunus Patel Saheb (rahmatullah alayh)

It seems as if everyone has something to argue about these days. Arguing is a waste of precious time and a diversion of shaytaan, from carrying out good deeds or rendering services to Deen.

We do not have to worry about arguing with every other person. We have got no time to argue with people. Only that person will go around arguing with people who has got the time. …He has got the time to waste, therefore he will go around arguing.

One person went to the barber and said : “I have got black and white hair. So just take out all the white hair.” The barber shaved off all his hair, placed it in front of the man and said: “Now you can pick out all the white strands. I do not have the time for that.”

The person whose heart is connected with Allah Ta’ala does not have the time for arguments, for fights, for unnecessary quarrels and for wasting time over useless, futile activities.

“That person whose eye is on where the orders are coming, will not waste his time going and fighting with everybody.”

One person wrote a lengthy letter to me. He mentioned, amongst other things: “Maulana, you and all your blind followers who attend your programmes…” – have got this weakness, this weakness, this weakness.”

I gave the reply: “JazakAllah for informing us of some of our weaknesses. There are many more which Allah Ta’ala has concealed. I make Shukr to Allah Ta’ala that He did not reveal all our weaknesses. Please do keep me informed when you notice more weaknesses, and make Dua that Allah Ta’ala gives us Hidayat.”

That is all! Finished! …What am I going to start arguing about?

Futile arguing creates restlessness and darkness in the heart. It opens the door to misguidance. It leads a person away from Siratul Mustaqeem (the straight path). Rasulullah (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) cautioned us: “No people will go astray after having being guided except that they become argumentative.”[1]

Thus, we should not waste time over pettiness. We do not have the time for that. There will always be enemies; there will always be jealousy; there will always be malice. …There will be those who cannot see or stomach the progress of certain people and who will want to create unnecessary trouble and impede the person’s progress. This will happen. It happened in the time of Rasullullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wassallam) – and will continue. So we should be careful not to get caught up with these type of wasteful issues. 

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said: “I guarantee a house in the outskirts of Paradise to the one who forsakes argument even when he is in the right.’[2]

If we keep before us this Hadeeth and have Yaqeen (conviction) on the words of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam), many arguments would not even surface.

[1] Tirmidhi

[2] Abu Dawood

• Like 1