IslamicTeachings.org

Anger When Criticized Or Insulted

ummtaalib

SELF-APPRAISAL

When one is insulted or criticized, the natural nafsaani reaction is anger which in turn demands retaliation. The anger is the effect of pride.

However, if one reflects for a few brief moments in an endeavour to fathom one’s own moral condition, one will not fail to discern that the anger and the crave to react are generally not justified.

Once a man was abusive to the Sahaabi, Hadhrat Abu Zar Ghifaari (radhiyallahu anhu). He responded: “Between Jannat and myself there is a deep valley. If I successfully traverse that (dangerous) valley, then, By Allah!,I have no concern for what you are saying. But, if Allah Ta’ala prevents me from traversing the valley, then I am worse than what you have said of me.”

Also, when someone insults you or you are told that he/she has made gheebat of you, then reflect on your own sins. Everyone has some skeletons in the cupboard and some hidden cans of worms on which Allah Ta’ala, Who is Saatirul Uyoob (The Concealer of sins) has cast a veil to protect us from being humiliating.

Mujlisul Ulama of South Africa