IslamicTeachings.org

Madinatul Munawwarah Pictures & Info

ummtaalib

Fourth Plot

Ibn Jubayr [ra] has given detailed of this plot. He said, ‘On 29th Dhul-Qa’adah 578H, I arrived in Alexandria during my excursion tour of Egypt. We left Alexandria on the 8th of Dhul-Hijjah. We saw there that a very big crowd of people came out of their homes to see the Roman Christian prisoners. These prisoners were brought to the city on camels with their faces towards the tails of the camels. Bugles were being blown and other music was being played around them. We enquired about these prisoners. We were given a detailed picture of their cruel activities, which was as follows.’

‘The Christians of Syria built some boats near Mediterranean sea and transported these boats on the backs of camels to the bank of the sea. There, they equipped the boats for war activities. They then set out in the sea with these boats and plundered the caravans of pilgrims for Makkah. When they reached river Naam where they burnt sixteen boats of other people. Then they reached Eizaab and captured a caravan of pilgrims coming from Jeddah. Similarly, they overpowered a caravan which was travelling from Qaws towards Eizaab and killed all the people. Two boats of traders were coming from Yemen with food grain for Makkah and Madinah. They burnt the storage of this food grain. They carried out many such evil activities. Their most treacherous plan was to remove the body of the Prophet Muhammad [sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] from the Sacred Chamber. They announced it boldly and started heading towards Madinah. When they were about one day’s journey away from Madinah, the famous Haajib Lu-lu came with a few Moroccan youths who were expert in sea warfare. They arrested these Christians and killed some of them then and there. They also sent some of these prisoners to other cities to be put to sword. Some prisoners were sent to Makkah and Madinah. The prisoners whom we saw were brought to Alexandria. In this way, Allah saved his Prophet [sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] from these criminals.’

Fifth Plot

Tabari, the famous historian, has described it as follows:

‘The head of the service personnel of the Prophet’s mosque was Shamsuddin Sawab Lamti who was a very gentle and kind person. Sawab said that he had a close friend who happened to be known to the ruler of Madinah. This friend often kept him informed about the major news. One day this friend said to Sawab, ‘A big event is about to take place. Some people have come from Halb in Syria. They have bribed the ruler of Madinah and have demanded from him the bodies of Abu Bakr [Radhiallaahu anhu] and Umar [Radhiallaahu anhu]. The ruler has consented to it.’

‘Sawab got very worried. Shortly afterwards a messenger of the ruler of Madina came and took Sawab to the ruler. The ruler said to Sawab, ‘Some people will knock at the door of the Prophet’s mosque at night. Open the door for them and let them do what they want to do. Don’t interfere in any way.’ Sawaab said that he answered the ruler the way the ruler wanted him to answer. He then came back and I was crying bitterly. After Salaatul Isha, the doors of the Prophet’s mosque were closed as usual. Shortly afterwards, somebody knocked at the door known as Baab salaam. The ruler of Madina used to live in a fort in front of Baab salaam. Sawab opened the door. Forty people entered the mosque, he was counting them one by one. They had equipment to demolish building and were carrying torches with them. They were heading towards the Sacred Chamber. They had not yet even reached the pulpit when the earth split under their feet and they were buried with their equipment then and there. There was no sign left about their presence on the surface of the earth.’

‘The ruler waited for them for a while. Finally, he sent for Sawab and asked him, ‘Sawab, did some people not come to you?’ He said, ‘Yes, indeed. They were, however, buried in the earth.’ The ruler said, ‘Think before you speak. How can this happen?’ Sawab invited him to see the spot with his own eyes. The ruler said, ‘Leave the matter as it is. Don’t mention this to anybody. I shall cut your head off if you talked about it.’

Samhoudi said, ‘Abu Muhammad Abdullah Margani has also described this plot briefly in the History of Madina. He has, however, mentioned that the number of these people was fifteen or twenty and they were swallowed by the earth when they had gone only a few steps towards the Sacred Chamber.’

Note that the enemies of Allah make plans and Allah also makes plans. However, Allah is the Best planner. ‘They were plotting and Allah too was plotting and Allah is the Best plotter (or planner).’ (al-Anfaal 30)

Indeed, Allah fulfilled his promise to Prophet Muhammad [sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] as mentioned in Surah al-Maaidah 67, ‘and Allah will protect you from the people.’

Source: Jamiat, Alinaam.org, others

Sudanese pilgrim (Fatima Al-Mahi) regains eyesight in Prophet's Mosque

MADINAH

Monday, October 14, 2013

“Allahu Akbar (God is great) … I can see,” a Sudanese female pilgrim started yelling inside the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah. When the congregate surrounded her she told them amidst tears of joy that she has suddenly regained her eyesight which she had lost more than seven years ago.

Fatima Al-Mahi, who is in her late 60s, said she became blind about seven years ago and added that numerous operations had all failed to in helping her regain her eyesight. She did not say how she became blind but was extremely thankful to Allah for making her see again.

"I made sincere supplications inside the Prophet's Mosque asking Allah to bless me with my eyesight. In a miraculous moment of providence I started to see light. I turned left and right and could see the mosque very clearly. I went delirious with happiness when I saw my son who was accompanying me," she said.

Fatima said she saw her face for the first time in more than seven years. "I also saw my son who started crying with joy. I saw the other Sudanese pilgrims in our group. I was able to move alone without any help," she said.

She said that although she lived in complete darkness, she never lost hope that Allah would give her back her eyesight. She said she never stopped praying to Allah to give her back her eyesight.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20131014183629

Secrets of the Prophetic Chamber

The Event of the Visible Foot

Urwa bin Zubair narrated that hujrat were removed during the period of Waleed bin Abdul Malik in order to include them in the expansion of the Prophet’s Mosque. At that time the eastern wall of the Sacred Chamber collapsed. It was necessary to dig its foundation to rebuild it. In this process a foot appeared.
Someone said that it was perhaps the Prophet’s (SAS) foot. Urwa saw it and said, “I swear it is not the Prophet’s foot, it is Omar’s (RU) foot”.

More detail of this event is given by Abdullah bin Mohammad bin Aqeel. He said, “I used to come to the Prophet’s Mosque in the later part of the night. I used to salute Prophet (SAS) and then used to stay in the mosque till salat-ul-fajr. One night it was raining. When I reached near the house of Al-Mugayyara bin Shaabah (RU), I came across some fragrance which I had never experienced before. I entered the mosque and saluted the Prophet (SAS). I was surprised to see that one wall of the Sacred Chamber had collapsed. I went inside the chamber and saluted the Prophet (SAS) again. Shortly after this Omar bin Abdul Aziz, the Governor of Madina, arrived there since he had been informed about the fall of the wall. He ordered to cover the Sacred Chamber with a large piece of cloth. In the morning a builder was brought and was told to go inside the chamber. He requested that another person should also accompany him. Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) became ready for it. Qasim bin Abu Bakr volunteered for it also. Similarly Salim bin Abdullah bin Omar volunteered too and insisted to accompany them as well. Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) said, ‘We should not bother the residents of the graves by crowding there.’ Omar (RU) then said to his freed slave, Mazaham, ‘Please go inside all alone.’ Mazaham said, ‘The first grave is slightly lower in height than the other two graves.’ After the completion of the renovation Omar (RU) said to Mazaham, ‘Go inside again and clean the Sacred Chamber.’ Mazaham went in again and did the general cleaning there after the renovation activities. Later on Omar (RU) remarked, ‘I wish I had done this cleaning in place of Mazaham. This cleaning activity would have been better for me than all of the worldly assets.’”

From Here

SPOT FOR THE FOURTH GRAVE

As mentioned in some hadith and other authentic books there is a spot for a fourth grave in the Sacred Chamber. This is the same spot which Aisha (RUA) offered to Abdur Rahman bin Auf (RU). Hafs bin Omar bin Abdur Rahman narrated, “ When Abdur Rahman bin Auf (RU) was on his death bed, Aisha (RUA) sent him a message that I have kept a spot for you near the Prophet (SAS). Accept it, if you like.” Abdur Rahman (RU) said, “ I have heard that you have not removed your veil since Omar (RU) was burried in your room. Furthermore, I do not like to convert the house of the Prophet (SAS) into a cemetery. I have promised Osman bin Mazun (RU) that our graves will be situated close to each other.” (History of Madina-Ibn Shabah)

Hence there is a spot for a fourth grave in the Sacred Chamber. It is also mentioned in Bukhari that Aisha (RUA) left this will with her nephew Abdullah bin Zubair (RU), instructing him not to bury her in the Sacred Chamber. Rather bury her with rest of the wives of the Prophet (SAS) in Baqee cemetery since she does not wish to distinguish herself from his other wives.

Imam Malik (RTA) said, “There was some space in the Sacred Chamber. Hence Aisha (RUA) was told that, if it pleased her, she would be buried there after her death”. Aisha (RUA) replied, ‘I would then become one who invents an innovation.’”

Many scholars have written that there is a spot for a grave near the eastern part of the Sacred Chamber. Saeed bin Al-Musayyab said, “This is the spot for Isa (AS).” Furthermore, it is obvious that there was a tiny living area for Aisha (RUA) in her humble hut after the partition was built to separate her from the graves. In other words, there is a spot for the fourth grave in the Sacred Chamber, where Isa (AS) will be buried.

BURIAL OF ISA (AS)

Tirmidhi has mentioned as narrated by Abdullah bin Salam (AS), “The characteristics of Prophet Mohammad (SAS) are described in Old Testament and it is also mentioned there that Isa (AS) will be buried with him”.

Abdullah bin Omar (RU) has narrated that Prophet Mohammad (SAS) said, “Isa (AS) will descend to the earth. He will marry and will have children. In this way he will spend forty five years and finally he will die and will be buried with me. On the Day of Judgement. I, Isa (AS), Abu Bakr and Omar will rise from the same site.” (Al-Vifa).

VALLEYS OF MADINAH MUNAWWARAH

valleys of madinah map.png

Map of the Valleys of Madinah

Picture scanned from "Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah"

(Click on picture to enlarge)

*Note:  وادي Wādī  is the Arabic term for a dry river or its valley. It is the Arabic term traditionally referring to a valley. In some cases, it may refer to a dry (ephemeral) riverbed that contains water only during times of heavy rain or simply an intermittent stream. 

Valley of  Al-Aqeeq وادى  العقيق

Aqeeq vally - Ottoman bridge over valley.jpg       al aqeeq valley stream.jpg

Ottoman Bridge over the Al Aqeeq Valley                                          Al Aqeeq Valley Stream

This valley starts at Taif and passes through Madinah and comes to an end at Ghabah (Khulail) where it merges with the valleys of But’haan and Qanaat. It is one of the longest valleys of Hijaaz. It has two plains in Madinah: In smaller plain lies the well of Uthman and the Islamic University of Madinah, whereas in the larger plain lies Abyar Ali, the well of Urwa and its surrounding areas. 

As mentioned in Saheeh Bukhari:

In the valley of Al-'Aqiq I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "To night a messenger came to me from my Lord while I was in the Aqeeq (Valley) and said to me, 'Offer prayer in this blessed valley.'"

This valley has attracted the interest of many rulers and wealthy personalities for irs sweet waters, pleasant atmosphere and soft highly cultivative earth. Many Arab poets and novelists have mentioned this valley in their works.

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Ghani

Excavation has led to the discovery of an ancient palace in the Valley of Al Aqeeq

c-22-1-13-l.jpg?wax-srv=0LyFljoUwM8DmjFb

A recent archealogical excavations by a team from the Antiquities and Museums in SCTA, carried out in Wadi Al Aqeeq of Al Madina province, during the second season of its excavation (2012/1433), has led to the discovery of an ancient palace dating back to the 1st century Hijri, along with a number of relics, such as ceramics pots, glass jars, stone-tools and several vessels made of soapstone.

The head of the excavation team, Dr. Khalid bin Mohammad Ascoby, has stated that the preliminary studies of the architectural elements and the discovered archeological relics have confirmed the age of the palace as dating back to the first century, Hijri era.

Dr. Ascoby, further stated that the Antiquities and Museums department, during its two consecutive seasons, has made archeological excavations near Wadi Al Aqeeq in its south-eastern part, which is collectively known as the “Erowah Palaces”. The area represents an archeological hill of medium-height on which are found a spread of several pottery fractures and volcanic stones.

In this valley they discovered for the first time the remains of a historic palace, the area of which is about 40m x 30m, in addition to a number of unique and rare relics dating back to the Umayyad era (1st century AH).

a-22-1-13-l.jpg?wax-srv=rSJkLUkr8mk5iNTw
Remains of Saeed bin Assas palace

On the architectural elements of the palace, Dr. Ascoby said that his team has detected the architectural foundations in the palace representing eight units of rooms distributed within the palace. The palace walls are built with volcanic stones plastered with gypsum and mud. Most of the discovered rooms had floor-covering made of compacted mud.

As for other archeological findings, Dr. Ascoby said that the find included variety of pottery, glass vessels, stone tools and utensils made of soapstone and other ceramic products, such as jars, pots, water jugs, pitchers, small vessels, cups and dishes. The findings also included lustrous earthenware which reflects advancements in Islamic ceramic industry during the 1st and 2nd Hijri centuries. Similar ceramics have also been discovered in Al Mabyat and Al Rebza Islamic sites.

A huge quantity of broken glassware representing cups and vials, as well as pots of varying shapes and sizes were found. Some of these fragments carry multicolored decorations, in addition to a set of completed stone tools and semi-completed parts of utensils, including grindstones made of volcanic rocks and some incomplete millstones among others.

Wadi Aqeeq is one of the most famous valleys in Al Madina Province, which is a part of the history of Madina, where it is mentioned in many historical, geographic and religious sources.

Al Hijaz Railway line, during the Ottoman era, was passing over a bridge connecting the two shores of the valley. Also Erwa and Al Ghaba dams were built over this valley. The length of the valley is about 80 km, and its bed depth ranges between 10 to 100 meters along its course, with a top width ranging between 100 to 150 meters. The valley is a natural drain for floods and rain water for approximately an area of 400 square kilometers; over 40 tributaries and streams drain into Wadi Al Aqeeq.

Continued from Previous Post....

Al-Ghaba (Khulail)

Mentioned in the previous post is a place north of Madinah and west of Mount Uhud. It is presently called Khulail and is at a distance of twelve kilometres from Masjid Nabawi. A dam has been built there to provide for local water consumption.

Panoramic Photo - Khulail Dam

Al-Ghaba Dam

al ghaba dam - even though the rains were sufficient to form this picturesque lake, the valleys did not flood enough to flow over the dam wall..jpg

Even though the rains were sufficient to form this picturesque lake,

the valleys did not flood enough to flow over the dam wall

(Pictures from Al-Miskeenah)

What is left of the Al Ghaba Forest

Al Ghaba Forest - timber used for mimber.jpg

The Mimbar of Rasoolulllah sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam was built from the timber taken from the trees of Ghabah. He initially delivered the Khutbah leaning on a palm tree trunk which was positioned near the original Mihrab. During the eighth year after hijrah, when the number of Sahabah had greatly increased, and it was difficult for the assembled crowd to see and hear the Messenger of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam, it was suggested that a new raised Mimbar be constructed. Zubair bin Awwam's estate was here.

Twenty camels of the prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam were once grazing in the area of Ghabah. A platoon of Abdur Rahman al Fazari attacked and killed the herdsman and  took the camels. Salamah bin Akwa' (RA) heard and he called out to his companions at the eastern Thaniyyatul Wadaa and set out himself pursuing the attackers. He threw stones and arrows at them saying, "Take this and I am indeed the son of Akwa'..  ...Today is the day of Rudda' (i.e. to pay your due for suckling)". He carried on until the Muslims reached him and they took back the camels. This event is mentioned in Sahih Bukhari: Hadith number 4194.

Valley of of But'haan وادى بطحان   

Buthaan Dam.png

This valley is regarded as one of the main valleys of Madinah. It enters Madinah through the eastern region of Quba and comes to Masjid Ghamamah and carries on to Mount Sal'a passing in front of Massjid Saba'ah towards Ghabah (Khulail) where it meets other valleys and comes to an end.

It is narrated by 'Aisha RA, "But'haan is upon a river from the rivers of paradise" (Sahih Al Jamae Al Sagheer: 3/7)

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam made ablution from its water during the Battle of Khandaq.

The Saudi Government has built  a large dam on this river and built a vast underground water way to protect the surrounding inhabitants from its over flow.

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani.

Following from Al-Miskeenah

Bathan Valley flowed to the west of Masjid Nabawi all those centuries ago, and still lies beneath all that has been constructed upon it ever since. However the imagination tries to conjure what the scene may have been like each year when the 12th of Rabial Thani moon hovered over these blessed valleys during the decade of our Beloved Rasul SallAllahu alaihi wasalla’s time in Madinah. Meandering through date palms, by mud houses, grazing flocks, sauntering camels, flitting singing birds, as water rippled after rains of mercy. Or as a dry sandy track where creatures scuttled, children played, wood was gathered, crops tendered, all to the ceaseless melodious sound of the Qur’an filling the skies and hearts.

This is the valley that is referred to by our Blessed Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam in various Ahadith.

From Sahih Bukhari it is narrated by ‘Aishah RadhiAllahu anha:

When Allah’s Apostle SallAllahu alaihi wasallam reached Medina, Abu Bakr and Bilal RadhiAllahu anhuma became ill. When Abu Bakr’s fever got worse, he would recite this poetic verse: “Everybody is staying alive with his people, yet death is nearer to him than His shoe laces.” And Bilal, when his fever deserted him, would recite: “Would that I could stay overnight in a valley wherein I would be surrounded by Idhkhir and Jalil (sweet smelling herbs). Would that one day I could drink the water of the Majanna, and would that the two mountains Shama and Tafil would appear to me!” The Prophet said, “O Allah! Curse Shaiba bin Rabi’a and ‘Utba bin Rabi’a and Umaiya bin Khalaf as they turned us out of our land to the land of epidemics.” Allah’s Apostle then said, “O Allah! Make us love Medina as we love Mecca or even more than that. O Allah! Give blessings in our Sa and our Mudd (measures for weighing foodstuffs) and make the climate of Medina suitable for us, and divert its fever towards Aljuhfa.” Aisha added: When we reached Medina, it was the most unhealthy of Allah’s lands, and the valley of Bathan used to flow with impure colored water.

And the Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam is reported to have said: “Which of you would like to go early in the morning every day to Bathan or Al-‘Aqiq and return from it with two large-humped she-camels, without committing a sin or severing the ties of kinship?” They replied, “O Messenger of Allah! We (all) would like that!” He said, “If one of you goes early in the morning to the Masjid and learns or reads two Ayahs from the Book of Allah, the Exalted and the Glorious, is better for him than having two camels, and three Ayahs are better for him than three large camels, and four Ayahs are better for him than four large camels, and so on with the number of them and camels.” Such is the virtues of learning and reciting the Qur’an.

From Abu Dawud Thabit ibn Qays ibn Shammas RadhiAllahu anhu narrated: The Apostle of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam entered upon Thabit ibn Qays RadhiAllahu anhu. The version of Ahmad (ibn Salih) states: When he was ill the Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam said: Remove the harm, O Lord of men, from Thabit ibn Qays ibn Shammas. He then took some dust of Bathan, and put it in a bowel, and then mixed it with water and blew in it, and poured it on him.

Narrated Bakr ibn Mubashshir al-Ansari RadhiAllahu anhu: I used to go to the place of prayer on the day of the breaking of the fast, and on the day of sacrifice along with the Companions of the Apostle of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam. We would walk through the valley known as Bathan till we came to the place of prayer. Then we would pray along with the Apostle of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam and return through Bathan to our house.

map valleys of madina al miskeenah.jpg

map valleys of madina al miskeenah. bathan detail.jpg

To retain some detail I have posted the map in two sections, from south, the bottom map to north. Bathan valley is the one on the right etching north-west by Masjid Nabawi before continuing northward where Wadi Quna joins it at the foot of Jabal Uhud. Wadi Ranono is the middle one that meets Bathan in the Awali district, while the far left one is Wadi Aqeeq. All congregate to the west of Jabal Uhud in the area known as Al-Jurf.

Valley of Muthaynib وادى مذينب

This valley branches off from the But'haan Valley.

It begins at a distance of 10 km to the south-east of Madinah and ends at Ghabah (Khulail).

The Jewish tribe of Banu Nadheer resided on its banks.

Valley of Mahzoor وادى مهزور

This valley begins to the east of Madinah and splits into many smaller streams

which come together again at Awali and then joins Mutahynib Valley.

They both meet at But'haan Valley at Ghabah and end there.

The tribe of Banu Quraidhah resided on the banks of Mahzoor Valley in Awali.

Valley of Qanaat  وادى قنات 

bridge over valley of qanaat.png

This valley runs from Taif through to Aaqool near Madinah and then enters Madinah from the north-eastern district and passes near Mount Rumah and flows towards Ghabah (Khulail)  where it meets its end. It is also known as "Waadi Shazah". The tribe of Banu Haarithah and Banu Abdal Ash'hal populated its southern banks just east of the plains of Uhud. 

Waadi Qanaat passed on both sides of Mount Rumah in such a way that Mount Rumah was in the middle of this valley. The graves of Hamzah (RA), his foster brother Abdullah bin Jahsh (RA) and Mus'ab bin Umaiar (RA) were on the northern bank of this valley. In the period of Muawiyyah (RA) the water level of the water rose and its flow became fierce. This posed a danger to the graves. The blessed bodies of these martyrs were exhumed and reburied at a safer spot, now within the enclosure of the cemetery of the martyrs . The northern meander of this valley, which passed north of Mount Rumah was present up to recently. In view of further distancing the graves from the valley and to widen the plain between Mount Rumah and the cemetery to further accommodate visitors, the Saudi Govenment filled and blocked the northern meander only leaving the southern meander open.

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah"  by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

The Dam of Aaqool & the Fire of Hijaz

The dam is an important recreational area of the people of Madinah.  After rainfall, the valley of Qanaat flows and millions of cubic meters of its waters gather at the Aaqool Dam. It is a fascinating  view; water as far as the eye can see. Experts say that Aaqool has the largest store of underground water in Madinah.

The formation of the Aaqool Dam is linked to the historically significant "Fire of Hijaz". The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam professed of the Fire of Hijaz, which was witnessed in 654 A.H. This fire threw volcanic lava and rocks into the Valley  of Qanaat, blocking the water flow and forming a natural dam. In 690 A.H. water gradually eroded through the dam and the valley once again began to flow. Effects of the Fire of HIjaz; basalt and black rocks are still visible today at the site of the dam.

water and dam of aaqool.png

Water in the Dam of Aaqool

Click on Picture to enlarge

The Fire of Hijaz

Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established till a fire will come out of the land of Hijaz, and it will throw light on the necks of the camels at Busra." Sahih Bukhari Hadith no. 7118

He further stated; "The Hour will not be established till a valley of the land of Hijaz will not flow with fire, throwing light on the necks of the camels at Busra." Fath ul Bari 13/80

Busra (Vowel led "u" not "a") i.e. a city between Tabuk and Syria, not the city of Basra in Iraq.

Allamah Samhoudi states, "The fire mentioned in this hadith appeared in 654 A.H. This fire was visible from Makkah, Yanbu, Taimaa and Busra. This proved that it was the very 'Fire of Hijaz' which the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam had foretold so that the people may take heed.

Allamah ibn Hjar states, "The fire referred to in this hadith is the one witnessed on the outskirts of Madinah as is explained by Qurtubi and others"

Allamah Qastalani (who was in Makkah at the time of the fire) states, "On the day of Friday in the afternoon this fire rose and the skies were blackened with its smoke and darkness prevailed. By night its flames could be seen. The fire looked like a big city south east of Madinah. It moved to Banu Quraidhah then spread to the east and finally went into Waadi Qanaat.

It moved on the surface of the ground pulverizing and melting mountains and rocks which stood in its path. Its flames were like towering mountains and extended ranges, throwing molten rocks in to the air like waves of the sea. It would move like a storm in the ocean. Its sound was like thunder of lightening.  It lasted for three months  so that people may take heed and fear the fire of the Hereafter.

This fire was visible from Makkah, Yanbu, the mountains of Sayah and Taimu, and Busra. It drove a large river of molten rock into the waadi which gathered at its end forming a natural dam. When water flowed in to the waadi it gathered at this dam in huge quantities until it formed a sea of water as far as the eye could see. In 690 A.H. the force of water gradually broke its way through the dam making it flow normally once again".

The Saudi Government built a number of dams on the river of Qanaat at Aaqool to efficiently utilise its water for agriculture and to protect Madinah from flood in case of over flow.

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah"  by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

WELLS OF MADINAH MUNAWWARAH

According to Dr Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani  there are seven historically significant wells of Madinah.

Mufti Muhammad Faruq says almost all the wells are either covered up with no signs remaining or entry is restricted

بئر رَوْمَة

Well of Rawmah

(or Well of Uthmaan Radhiyallaahu 'anhu)

well of uthman.jpg 

Entry is restricted 

well of uthman 2.jpg

The Well

well of uthman plantation near well.jpg 

Plantation near the Well  of Uthmaan 

It is located at a distance of 3.5 km from Masjid Nabawi and 1 km from Masjid Qiblatain in the suburb of Azhariy on the banks of the Valley of Aqeeq.

When the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam migrated to Madinah there was no readily available drinking water except from the well of Rawmah which was owned by a member of Madina's Jewish community who used to charge a high price for the water. 

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said, "He who buys the well of Rawmah for the Muslims shall be rewarded with that which is better in the Hereafter."

Uthman Radhiyallaahu 'anhu purchased the well for a high price and made the water available for free to the people of Madina. Visitors are not allowed access.

well of uthman plantation near well 2.jpg 

well of uthman masjid adjacent to well.jpg

Masjid adjacent to the well

• Like 1

بئر اريس

Well of Arees

This well was located to the east of Masjid Quba. At the end of the 14th century Hijri it was buried in view of plans to widen the road. Its water was extremely sweet and exquisite. In various narrations it is mentioned that the reason for this is that the Prophet 's sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam mubarak saliva was mixed with the water. Before this incident the water had no traces of sweetness.

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam once sat on its edge with the lower part of his legs uncovered, dangling in the well. The following Hadith from Bukhari  describes the wonderful scene.

It is related from Abu Musa al-Ash'ari that he did wudu' in his house and then went out. [He said,] "I said, 'I will stay close to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and be with him on this day.'" He said, "He went to the mosque and asked where the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was and they said, 'He went there,' indicating the direction he had gone. I followed after him asking about him until he entered the Well of Aris. I sat at the gate, which was made of palm branches, until the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had finished his need and was doing wudu'. I went up to him and he was sitting at the Well of Aris on the middle of the rim with his legs uncovered dangling into the well. I greeted him and then went and sat at the gate. I said, 'I will be the doorkeeper of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, today.'

Abu Bakr came and knocked at the door. I said, 'Who is it?' He said, 'Abu Bakr.' I said, 'Hold on!' I went and said, 'Messenger of Allah, it is Abu Bakr asking permission to come in.' He said, 'Let him in and give him the good news of the Garden.' I went and said to Abu Bakr, 'Enter and the Messenger of Allah gives you the good news of the Garden.' Abu Bakr went in and sat at the right side of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, on the rim and dangled his feet in the well as the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had done, uncovering his legs.

Then I went back and sat down. I had left my brother at home doing wudu' intending to join me. I said, 'If Allah desires good for someone' - meaning his brother - 'He will bring him.' Then a man moved the gate and I said, 'Who is it?' He said, ''Umar ibn al-Khattab.' I said, 'Hold on!' Then I went to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and greeted him and said, 'It is 'Umar asking permission to come in.' He said, 'Let him in and give him the good news of the Garden.' I went to 'Umar and said, 'Enter and the Messenger of Allah gives you the good news of the Garden.' 'Umar went in and sat at the left side of the Prophet* on the rim and dangled his feet in the well like the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace.

Then I went back and sat down. I said, 'If Allah desires good for someone' - meaning his brother - 'He will bring him.' Then a man moved the gate and I asked, 'Who is it?' He said, ''Uthman ibn 'Affan.' I said, 'Hold on!' Then I went to the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and told him. He said, 'Let him in and give him the good news of the Garden as well as an affliction which will befall him.' I came and said, 'Enter and the Messenger of Allah gives you the good news of the Garden as well as an affliction which will befall you.' He entered and found the rim fully occupied, so he sat opposite them on the other side." Sa'id ibn al-Musayyab said, "I interpreted it as their graves."

This well is also known as the Well of Khaatam (Ring).  The silver ring of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam bearing the seal which he used was worn by the first Khalifah, Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) after the demise of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam. Thereafter it was worn by 'Umar (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu). It was then worn by Uthmaan (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) and while he was sitting at the well of Arees, it fell out of his hand in to the well. For three day the Muslims continuously searched for it, eventually emptying the water yet to no avail.

The ring was lost! To think that it still lies at this place!

An old picture of the Well of Khaatam

WellOfRing2.jpg

بئر حا

Well of Haa

North of Masjid Nabawi was the Orchard of Abu Talha al-Ansari (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) and in it was the Well of Haa. In 1994, during the second Saudi extension, it was included in the Masjid. Its position is a few metres to the left upon entering Masjid Nabawi through Door number 21.

garden_of_abu_talha_ra.jpg

Site of the Garden of Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu)

Anas bin Malik (Radhiyallaahu 'anahu) narrates: "Out of all the Ansaar living in Madinah, Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu)  had the largest number of gardens and the most beloved of his property to him was the garden of Bir Haa which stood opposite the Prophet's Masjid. He sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam used to enter it and drink of its fine water.

When the verse; " By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you spend (in charity) of that which you love." (Surah Aal Imraa: 92) was revealed, Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle, Allah says, "By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you spend (in charity) of that which you love" and the most beloved of my property to me is the garden of Bir Haa, so I give it in Allah's cause and hope to receive good out of it and to have it stored for me with Allah. So O Allah's Apostle! Dispose of it in the way Allah orders you."

Allah's Apostle sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said, "Bravo! That is a fruitful property! That is a fruitful property! I have heard what you have said and I think that you should distribute that (garden) amongst your relatives." Then Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) distributed that garden amongst his relatives. (Bukhari) 

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. MUhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

بئر  بُضاعَة  

Well of Budha'ah    

This well was located to the north of Saqeefah Banu Sa'eedah (Garden of Banu Sa'eedah). It belonged to the tribe of Banu Sa'eedah. The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam used its water for ablution. It was removed during the development of the central area of Madinah. Ref: "Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

saqeefa - beautiful.jpg

The Garden of Banu Sa'eedah with the Minaret of Masjid Nabawi in the background

From Al Miskeenah:

The Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam used to visit Saqeefa, offering Salat there, sitting in the shade with his Companions. Sahl ibn Sa’d RadhiAllahu anhu drew water for him from a nearby well called Bir Budha’ah. This well existed just north of Saqeefa until the second Saudi extension of Masjid Nabawi.

بئر  سُقيا

Well of Suqya

Suqya was a land belonging to Sa'ad bin Abi Waqqas (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu). It was located at Ambariyyah and part of it lies within the enclosure of the Hijaz Railway Station in Madinah.

Hejaz Railway Staion Madinah.jpg]

Hijaz Railway Station in Madinah

Masjid Suqya lies within the station. When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) departed for the battle of Badr he stopped here, performed ablution and offered Salah. He then supplicated for the dwellers of Madinah and paraded his forces.

suqyaMosque.jpg  masjid suqya.png

Masjid Suqya (Picture on the left is from within the Railway Station)

The Well of Suqya also belonged to Sa'ad bin Abi Waqqas (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu). The well was buried  in plans to widen the road. Its approximate location is to the south of Masjid Suqya, just outside the boundary wall of the railway station. On his way to the battle of Badr Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam performed ablution with water which was drawn from it for him to drink.

بئر  غَرْس 

Well of Ghars

ghars well original view.jpg

ghars well 2.jpg

Wall constructed around it

Located at a distance of approximately one kilometre to the north of Masjid Quba, it has a wall constructed around it and a roof covering it. The Well of Ghars is extremely big and the water used to be ever present. The colour of the water is that of a green nature. It contains stairs from which one can descend. In 882 Hijri the well was built anew.

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam drank from its water and requested that he be bathed with its water after his demise.

Ibn Majah quoted Ali ibn Abu Talib (r.a.) as saying, the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said:

"'When I die, wash me with seven water skins from Al-Ghars Well.' He sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam also used to drink from this well."

بئر عُرْوَة

Well of Urwah    

WellUrwah.jpg

Urwa bin Zubair bin Awwam (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) had this well dug and it still exists today. It is at an approximate distance of 3.5km from Masjid Nabawi. On leaving Madinah towards Dhul Hulaifah on the old Makkah road, it is located on the left hand side of the road near the bridge of Aqeeq Valley. Next to it is the Palace of Urwah. History books make mention of a certain "Masjid Urwah" too and historians say that its water was the lightest and sweetest of the waters of Madinah.  

The Palace of Urwah

urwah palace in background.png

Ruins of the Palace of Urwah in the background

urwah palace ruins.jpg

Ruins of the Palace of Urwah

urwah palace closeup.jpg

Close up

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam allocated the plain of Aqeeq to Bilal bin Harith (Radhiyallahu 'anhu) and had written for him, "In the name of Allah the Most Beneficient, the Most Merciful, this is what Muhammad the Apostle of Allah gave Bilal bin Harith from the valley of Aqeeq so that he may cultivate it."

When Umar (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) became the Khaifah, he said to Bilal, "Cultivate whatever you can of this land and the rest I shall distribute amongst the people." Bilal said, "Will you take away from me what was given to me by the Prophet of Allah sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam?" Umar replied, "It was given to you on condition that you develop it, not that you debar it.

Consequently Umar (Radhiyallaahu 'anahu) took from him what he could not develop and announced while standing at the place of the well of Urwah, "This is a very fine piece of land, who would like to take it?" Khawwat bin Jubair Al-Ansari took it. In 41 A.H. Urwah bin Zubair (Radhiyallaahu 'anahu) purchased a portion of Khawwat bin Jubair's (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) and converted it into a farm and also built a large fort on it. (Wafa ul Wafa Volume 3)

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

بئر يسيره     /   بئر العهن    

Well of Al-’Ehn or Yaseerah

madinah- Al-’Ehn or Al-Yasira Well.jpg

Al-’Ehn or Al-Yaseerah Well where it is said our Blessed Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam made Wudhu.

It is enclosed in a fenced archeaological site. (Al-Miskeenah)

sign of enclosure for al ehn well.jpg

According to Hadith, he enquired about its name and was told it was called 'Aseerah (difficult, or hard). He replied that its name was not 'Aseerah but Yaseerah (easy or soft) and adding his spittle in it, prayed for its blessing.

(Nufoosh Paai Mustafaa)

bir al ehn - now pic.jpg

(Well of Al-'Ehn - now)

• 4 weeks later...

The Stream of Zarqaa'

Until the khalifate of Muawiyah RA, the dwellers of Madinah would depend mainly on wells for their water supply. Muawiyah RA constructed a modern water link system which availed the people of Damascus water close to their homes.

He said to the Governor of Madinah, Marwan ibn Hakam, "I feel shy that the people of Damascus drink from near their homes while the people of Madinah have to drink from far away wells. Make for them like what I have made for the people of Damascus."

Marwan consulted experts in this field and they concluded that an underground canal should be built. The waters of the well of Quba were internally combined at an underground intersection west of Masjid Quba and their waters made to flow through Madinah in an underground stream. It had manholes at different intervals to draw water.

Marwan was blue eyed (In Arabic: Zarqaa) thus, it was named The Stream of Zarqaa'. It was maintained through history by different Muslim rulers.

In 1349 A.H. King Abdul Aziz formed a watch committee for this stream. They put the foundation of a new water link system: after renovating the stream they placed pipes inside  it with smaller pipes branching off providing a water connection to every home.

In view of the increased water consumption, purified sea-water was also added into the stream. The water board has now built twenty water storage tanks from where water is supplied through the water link system throughout Madinah.  

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

• 3 weeks later...

بئرالبُصّة  

Well of Bussah

bir bussah pic.png

This well belonged to Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri (R.A.) said that the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallamhad once asked him if he had water to wash.  He said he gave the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) a bucket of the well’s water

with which he used to wash his head. (Picture scanned from Nufoosh Paai Mustafaa)          

• 4 months later...

The March on Tabook (9AH)

The Romans were jealous and uneasy at the increasing power of Islam and the Muslims. A huge Christian army was prepared to attack Madeenah. The merchants coming from Syria brought news to Madeenah and the Prophet sallalaahu ‘alayhi wasallam called upon the followers of Islam to defend the faith. Many Companions like Uthmaan offered huge donations and a huge army of 30,000 soldiers set out for to encounter the well armed Christian army.

The Muslims encamped at Tabook (between Madeenah and Syria) and stayed there for 20 days. When the Roman army saw the great Muslim force their spirits dampened and they gave up their intention of war. In fact the Christians were very impressed on witnessing Muslim’s piety and devotion to Allah. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam made many peace treaties with some Christian tribes and returned to Madeenah.

Fort built by the Turks in Tabook

Tabuk - fort built by Turks.jpg

On the way to Tabook

Tabuk - on the way - miracle.jpg

This is an old picture of the place between Madinah and Tabuk which our Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam crossed and here a miracle took place:

Following is part of a hadith by Mu'adh ibn Jabal RA (Muslim)

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said:

"God willing, you would reach by tomorrow the fountain of Tabuk and you should not come to that until it is dawn, and he who amongst you happens to go there should not touch its water until I come. We came to that and two persons (amongst) us reached that fountain ahead of us. It was a thin flow of water like the shoelace. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) asked them whether they had touched the water. They said: Yes. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) scolded them, and he said to them what he had to say by the will of God. The people then took water of the fountain in their palms until it became somewhat significant and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) washed his hands and his face too in it, and then, took it again in that (fountain) and there gushed forth abundant water from that fountain, until all the people drank to their fill."