IslamicTeachings.org

Madinatul Munawwarah Pictures & Info

ummtaalib

Model of the layout of the Positions of the various Residences around the Mehraab of Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam

masjid-nabi-saws.jpg

a. Prophet’s SAWS mihrab

b. Aisha b. Abu Bakr’s RA residence

c. Hafsa b. Umar’s RA residence

d. Zainab b. Jahsh’s RA residence (not pictured)

e. Zainab b. Kuzayma’s RA) residence (not pictured)

f. Fatima’s RA residence (not pictured)

g. Baab-Uthman b. Affan RA

h. Ahlul Suffa Residence

i. Juwayriya’s RA residence (not pictured)

j. Rumla’s RA residence (not pictured)

k. Saffiya’s RA residence (not pictured)

l. Baab-ul-Rahma

m. Abu Bakr’s RA residence

n. Sa’d b. Abi Waqaas RA residence (not pictured)

o. al-Abbas b. Abdul Muttalib RA (Prophet’s SAWS uncle) residence

p. Jafar b. Abi Sadiq RA residence

Source: The Madinah Research & Study Centre, Al Madinah Al Munawara

• Like 1

The Dwellings of the Wives of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam

Layout of Hujraat (Dr. Imtiaz Ahmed)

Hujrat.jpg

Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) was buried in the house of Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) in whose house he was staying at the time of his death. The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) lived in small, simple huts adjacent to the masjid. Each hut consisted of a room which was approximately 5m x 4m with a small backyard and were made of unbaked bricks of mud with branches of palm tree as a roof covering.

Sauda & Hafsa

On the left side of the hut of Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) was the hut of Sauda (may Allah be pleased with her), the second wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him). The hut of Hafsa (may Allah be pleased with her), another wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) and the daughter of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) was on the opposite side. There used to be a very narrow street between their houses, just enough for one person to walk through. Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) and Hafsa (may Allah be pleased with her) used to converse with each other while sitting in their own huts. Part of the hut of Hafsa (may Allah be pleased with her) was located inside the present Sacred Chamber and part of it is where visitors stand for salutation to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him). (Notes from Islamic Landmarks)

From Almiskeenah

Hujuratu Ummahatil Mu’mineen 
and other adjacent features. 

Hujuratwivesblog.jpg

The heart swims in an elixir of sweetness as it is carried back to when these rooms were of clay bricks, ceilings of dried date palm leaves, doorways covered with the hides of animals or thick sack cloth. Compacted earthen floors blessed by the noble feet of all the beloved wives RadhiAllahu anhunna of our Blessed Rasul SallAllahu alaihi wasallam as they tended to their daily chores and welcomed others into their modest and humble rooms. Spaces that witnessed our Beloved Nabi SallAllahu alaihi wasallam performing domestic tasks, receiving revelations, entertaining his guests, playing with his grandsons, fare welling loved ones. Walls that he SallAllahu alaihi wasallam passed in and out of and that protected him from the elements for ten years. SubhanAllah. By familiarizing ourselves with the details of how these most blessed rooms on the face of the earth were kindles a love that flames the desire to be closer and to help quell the longing for ostentation.

Our Beloved Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam had he wished, could have built lofty mansions and palaces, but he chose the bliss of the Hereafter as his focus, teaching that pomp and show in this life does not equate with success, that all is temporal.  

Say: The provision of this world is but small, while the next is better for whoever is God-wary.  (4:77)

Reflecting on how these Hujurat were brings stillness and deepens the understanding of the importance of zuhud, renunciation of that which steals our contemplation from our true purpose here.

Junayd Rahmatullah alaih eloquently said about Zuhud: It is seeing the world as insignificant and erasing its vestiges from the heart, and it is that the hand be free of property and the heart of pursuing it. While Shibli Rahmatullah alaih said: It is to abstain from what is other than God Most High. Allow yourself to be transported back…and then assess your own Hujurat.  

The Hujuraat (Marked by the coloured circles):

green: Sayyidatuna Aishah bint Abu Bakr RadhiAllahu anha 

red: Sayyidatuna Fatimah RadhiAllahu anha 

yellow: Sayyidatuna Hafsah bint ‘Umat RadhiAllahu anha 

dark blue: Sayyidatuna Sauda bint Zama RadhiAllahu anha 

lime: originally Sayyidatuna Zaynab bint Khuzaymah RadhiAllahu anha before her untimely passing, followed by Sayyidatuna Umm Salamah bint Abu Umama RadhiAllahu anha 

light blue: Sayyidatuna Zaynab bint Jahsh RadhiAllahu anha 

lilac: Sayyidatuna Juwayriya bint al-Harith RadhiAllahu anha 

purple: Sayyidatuna Umm Habibah Ramla bint Abu Sufyan RadhiAllahu anha 

orange: Sayyidatuna Maimoonah RadhiAllahu anha 

brown: direction of first Qibla to Jerusalem, when there was a southern door to the Masjid (large pink)

burgundy: Minbar

green area:  Rowdha Shareef with the mihrab (small royal blue) position at the time of our Beloved Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam.

Abwab (Doors) marked by the coloured lines:  

pink, Bab Baqi, blue Bab Jibreel, green Babun-Nisa.   

The positions of Bab Salam (lime) and Bab Rahmah (orange) at the time of our Blessed Rasulullah SallAllahu alahi wasallam, realizing that they are now positioned on the walls of the extensions

blue X: place where Sayyidna Bilal RadhiAllahu anhu delivered Adhan for Juma’ah, while the orange X indicates where he would stand on the stump of a palm trunk for all other Adhans.

green X: marks the place where a frame was erected for the donated bunches of dates to be hung for the Ahle Suffa from various donors.

pink X: is the approximate place where the Banu Thaqeef pitched their tent when they traveled from Taif seeking teachings from our Blessed Rasulullah SallAllahu alahi wasallam.

• Like 1

House of Fatimah (may Allah be pleased with her)

door_of_fatima_ra.jpg

This door (intricately patterned metal doors, heavily secured with antique locks), on the eastern side of the Roza Mubarak marks the place where the door of the house of Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) and his wife Fatima (may Allah be pleased with her) was located. Fatima (may Allah be pleased with her) was the youngest and most beloved daughter of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him).This was the residence of Fatimah and her husband Ali and their five esteemed children, Hasan, Hussein, Mohsin (who died in childhood) Umme Kulthoom and Zainab RadhiAllahu anhum. 

References:  History of Madinah Munawwarah – Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani & Almiskeenah

• Like 1

THE SITE OF FATIMA’S (Radhiyallaahu 'anhaa) GRAVE

Many people are under the impression that Fatimah (Radhiyallaahu 'anhaa) rests behind the door mentioned in the previous post (Number 29). This is incorrect and the following  provides the answer

Fatima (RUA), the daughter of the Prophet (SAS), died in a Hujrah adjacent to the Hujrah of Aisha (RUA). Some people erroneously state that she is also buried in her Hujrah. She is in fact, buried in Baqee as proved by many historical facts.

1.Fatima (RUA) used to say, “My modesty is injured by the following thought. After my death, my body will be put on a plank just like bodies of men. It will be covered by a piece of cloth and then carried on shoulders to the graveyard. In this way the shape of my body may become visible to others.” As mentioned in History of Madina, Fatima (RUA) expressed her above concern to Asma bint Omais (RUA). Asma (RUA) said to her, “ Should I not show you what I observed in Habsha?” Fatima (RUA) said, “Why not. Please do demonstrate it to me.” Asma (RUA) ordered a few green branches of palm tree. She bent each one of them into an arc. Then she spread a piece of cloth over these arcs. Fatima (RUA) said, “Fantastic.” This will show the distinction between the janaza of a man and a woman. It will also hide the body of a woman.” Fatima (RUA) added, “Listen Asma, after my death, you and Ali (RU) give me a bath. Nobody else should come near me. Please place the branches of tree on me in the same manner you demonstrated to me.” When Fatima (RUA) died, Asma (RUA) covered a plank of wood in the above manner and said, “This was the will of Fatima (RUA).” It is further explained in History of Madina that Fatima (RUA) was the first Muslim woman to be buried with a cover on her body in the above manner. After that Zainab bint Jahsh (RUA) was buried in the same manner. Consequently, all Muslim women were buried in this fashion.

It is clear that Fatima (RUA) knew that her body would be taken from her Hujrah to Baqee. That’s why she expressed her concern and fear to Asma (RUA). If she was to be buried in her Hujrah, she did not need to make above will to Asma (RUA). It is also mentioned in History of Madina that according to some historians, there was a house situated just north of Baqee. It was called Dar Aqeel. The house was adjacent to Baqee and its one door opened into Baqee. Fatima (RUA) was buried in one corner of this very house.

2. It is mention in Vafa-ul-Vafa that Masoudi visited Madina during 302 Hijrah. He saw a stone fixed on certain graves with following inscription on it.

In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful. All praise is for Allah (SWT) who has the power to destroy the nations and has also power to put life in rotten and fragile bones. Here is the grave of Fatima (RUA) daughter of the Prophet (SAS) who is the most distinguished lady of the world. Also are the graves of Hasan (RU) bin Ali (RU), Ali bin Husain bin Ali (RU), Mohammad bin Ali and Jaafar bin Mohammad (RU).

3. It is also mentioned in Vafa-ul-Vafa that Hasan (RU) made the following will to his brother Hussain (RU): “When I die, my body should first be brought near the grave of the Prophet (SAS). It should then be transferred to Baqee and buried near the grave of my mother.” He was buried in Baqee near the grave of Fatima (RUA) as desired in his will.

It is very clear from these facts that Fatima (RUA) was not buried in her Hujrah. She was, in fact, buried in Baqee.

The arguments of historians with contrary thinking has no weight against above proofs. Samhoudi has written in Vafa-ul-Vafa that such contrary narrations are false and are far from the truth.

Source

• Like 1

Secrets of the Majestic Chamber of Allah’s Beloved sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam

A translate of an interview which reveals some of the secrets of the majestic chamber of Allah’s Beloved sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam

This is the story of the honoured man who had the privilege of cleaning the dust and changing the covering of the blessed chamber!

The Conversations of Tears and Reverence

I still remember the conversations with the two old men in Makkah, while looking at their weaving. I was in Makkah, so I headed toward the factory of the covering of the Kaaba, and there I learned that the factory has another honour, for it produces also a covering for the Prophetic Chamber.

I met at that time- several years ago- with men who partook in the production and installation, and I didn’t want to waste that opportunity as their youngest was in his sixties and I feared that they would leave this world before I could document this work.

I recorded with them conversations that were mixed with tears and reverence; sometimes words would betray them, and at others, their emotions would choke them, as they spoke of their unique experience. Their limbs shook from just the memory- as if it happened yesterday- and not a quarter of a century ago.

Shaykh Muhammad Ali Madani, head of the automated weaving division of the factory at that time, was generous with me. I learned from him that he was one of those who took part in weaving and installing the covering of the Prophetic Chamber. I said to him, tell me about the covering and the Prophetic Chamber- describe them to me.

His sight wandered far, as if he was bringing those treasured memories before him. Then he answered: On that day, I felt a state of complete amazement take over me. It is a grand spot- of utmost grandeur. I do not know its exact circumference, but it seemed to me that the Prophetic Chamber was 48 meters in circumference.

The awe of the place was so overbearing that nothing attracted my attention. I was so dazzled that I only saw the lamps hanging from the chamber ceiling, which were old gifts that would be given to the Mosque of the Prophet in ancient times. I was told that there were some Prophetic relics that were kept in another place- I don’t know where- but I do know that some historical items were kept in the chamber of sayyida Fatima al-Zahraa- the same place that she lived in.

He added: the chamber covering is a weave made of pure silk, green in color, padded with a strong cotton cloth, and it is crowned by a belt similar to that of the covering of the Honored Kaaba, except that it is red in color. A quarter of its space is taken up by an embroidery of noble Quranic verses from Surat al-Fath, made of lines of cotton and wires of gold and silver…

The covering of the Prophetic Chamber is not changed every year like the covering of the Honored Kaaba, because it is kept inside the chamber and far from the hands of the people and of the elements, and so it is only changed when needed.

Then I met shaykh Ahmad Sahirty, head of the embroidery division of the factory. It was apparent to me - back then- how old he was, and how weak his vision. He took the initiative, saying: How can I speak to you about my feelings at the moment I entered the Prophetic Chamber… I can’t.. That is a speech above my abilities of speech, and I never thought that I would one day be asked about this experience. And I guarantee you that I will not be able to go through it again.

When the Doors Were Opened

He drew nearer to me and added: Look at the lenses of my spectacles- and he pointed at their thickness- and look at my white hair and the weight of the years that I carry. My age I do not count, but I’ve heard them say that I was born in the year 1333 A.H. (1917 C.E.). And in all those years, I did not know a single hobby other than the love of beautiful scents and perfumes. I’ve spent such a long period of time in those years that I’ve lived, trying to satiate that voracious appetite that is still with me; I traveled much and learned much, but I can tell you this with confidence: that I have my own special blends that you will not find with anyone else, and that no one else could ever make.

And I tell you this because I discovered my inability and the meagerness of my knowledge on that blessed night, when the doors were opened to us, and we entered the Prophetic Chamber, and I inhaled perfumes and scents that I have never known before, and have never known since. I still do not know the secret of its composition: it was a scent above scents, an aroma above and beyond aromas- something else that us people of expertise, the people of the trade, have never experienced before.

When I asked him to describe to me the Prophetic Chamber, a slight chill struck him and coursed through his body. And he said in a faint voice: I believe that the chamber is 11 meters in height. Below the green dome is another dome on which is written: “The tomb of the Prophet, the tomb of Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq, and the tomb of Umar ibn al-Khattab”. And I saw also that there was another tomb that was empty, and next to the four tombs was the chamber of sayyida Fatima al-Zahraa, which is the house in which she lived.

From our awe we didn’t know how to remove the special pieces made for the dome- our fingers would shake and our breaths would race. We stayed 14 full nights working from after the Isha prayer until the first adhaan of the Fajr, in order to finish our task. We kept removing the pieces, untying the knots of the old covering, and cleaning all the dust and pigeon feathers that were stuck in that pure place. This scene goes back to the year 1971 C.E., and the covering that we changed was old: it was 75 years old according to the date that was weaved on it, and had never been changed since.

I was the first to enter, with the Sayyid Habib, one of the notables of al-Madina al-Munawwara, As’ad Sheera the director of religious endowments of Madina at the time, and Habib Moghrabi from the factory management, and Abd al-Karim Flomban, Nasir Qari, Abd al-Rahim Bukhari and others. We were 13 men, I don’t remember most of them, for they have left unto the Mercy of Allah.

We were accompanied by the chief of the Aghas who kept the keys to the Prophetic Chamber, and a number of the servants of the Chamber. Whispering was our speech, and that was if signaling was not sufficient. I was, and still am, suffering from weakness of vision and these spectacles have not left my eyes since those days, but in that chamber I was another person… I felt it, and the difference was clear to me.

Strange Happenings

The shaykh Sahirti swore, saying: I used to put the thread into the hole of the needle without my spectacles, despite the dim light in which we worked. How do you explain that? And how do you explain the fact that I didn’t feel the allergy that I suffered - and still suffer- from? Because I cough severely from the slightest bit of dust. But that day, I was not affected by the dust of the chamber, or the sand flying into the air. As if sand was no longer sand, and as if the dust became a medicine for my ailment. I used to feel all during those nights that I was a young man, and that youthfulness had been given back to me.

Another strange thing happened to me whose secret I haven’t understood until today. We had to take out the old covering, and it was carried by whoever carried it. The embroidered band, 36 meters long, remained. I said to them wrap it and leave it. I went up to it, and despite my weakness, carried it over this shoulder. I went out of the Prophetic Chamber with it, without ever feeling its weight. But after that, they came with five young men to carry it from where I had put it down and they couldn’t.

The shaykh began to weep silently and continued, while sighing: Someone asked who carried it and brought it here. I replied saying: me. They didn’t believe me. I said to them: Ask Abd al-Rahim Bukhari, the famous calligrapher of the covering.

Source

The Fake Tombs

The following regarding fake pictures of the tomb of Allah's beloved sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam on the internet has been put together after research at Muftisays.com

Below are some pictures with the title “FAKE IMAGE" claimed as Prophet Mohammed's Tomb. I have added most pictures being used on the internet.

Hadhrat Ali (radhiAllaahu anhu) narrates that Nabi (sallAllaahu alaihi wasallam) deputed him with the important duty of destroying any (animate) picture or figure that he saw and flattening any grave that he saw which was (unusually) high. [Mishkaat, page 148]

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg

The above is the most common fake image

The Picture below is probably as far as you’ll get

image007.jpg

Its behind these walls. We are not able to see! those who try, they just see darkness, dust, light and a veil.

SO WHOSE TOMB PICTURES ARE THEY?

The tomb in the photo’s are not the BLESSED one of our Prophet (salallahu alayhi was salaam) but it is the tomb of Uthman Ghazi, the first sultan of the Ottoman Empire!

And here is the proof : match these pictures..
and match the picture found on Wikipedia and above... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_I

image008.jpg
image009.jpg

History of the Sacred Chamber

By Dr. Imtiaz Ahmad

INTRODUCTION

Hujrat are those huts in which Prophet Mohammad (SAS) used to reside with his wives. When the Prophet’s Mosque was being built, two huts were also constructed for Prophet’s wives Aisha (RUA) and Sauda(RU). More such huts were built as the number of wives of the Prophet (SAS) increased. All these huts or rooms were adjacent to the mosque and their doors used to open in the mosque. Each hut consisted of a room. It’s walls were built by unbaked bricks of mud and the roof by the branches of palm tree. It had also a tiny yard.As described in Bukhari, Dawud bin Qais (RU) said, “I saw these huts or hujrat. These were covered by the branches of the palm trees. The distance between the entrance door and the door of hujra was about three meters. Each hujra was roughly 5×5 meters. ”

Hasan Basri (RU) said, “I was a teenager and I could touch the ceiling of each hut as I stood in it. Each hujra consisted of only one room. The roof of each room was made of wooden pieces.” (Bukhari 581, Khilasa-tul-Vifa 278).
The wives of the Prophet (SAS) spent their lives in such ordinary rooms. The hujra of Aisha (RUA) will be described below in more detail. Other hujrat are described in by the author’s separate book titled ‘Houses of the Companions of the Prophet (SAS).’

When Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) expanded the Prophet’s Mosque, he included in it all the hujrat except that of Aisha (RUA). Sacred Chamber means that room in which the Prophet used to live with his wife Aisha. Prophet passed away in this room and was buried in this very room. Later on Caliph Abu Bakr (RU) and Caliph Omar (RU) were also buried in this room. Isa (AS) will be buried in this room as well when Allah (SWT) will send him down from the sky and when he (AS) will die like other human beings.

DREAM OF AISHA (RUA)

Aisha (RUA) said, “I saw in a dream that three moons fell in my lap. I described this dream to my father Abu Bakr (RU).” When Prophet Mohammad (SAS) died and was buried in Aisha’s room, Abu Bakr (RU) referring to Aisha’s (RUA) dream said to her, “This is the one among your moons and it is better than the other two.”

BURIAL IN AISHA’S CHAMBER

Imam Malik (RTA) said, “Prophet Mohammad (SAS) died on Monday and was buried on Tuesday. Some people suggested that he should be buried near the pulpit. Others suggested Baqee graveyard for his burial. Abu Bakr (RU) said, ‘I have heard from Prophet Mohammad (SAS) that a prophet is buried at that spot where he passes away.’ Hence Prophet Mohammad (SAS) was buried in Aisha’s hujra.”

When Prophet Mohammad (SAS) was given a bath before his burial, a sound was heard calling for not removing the shirt of the Prophet (SAS). Hence his shirt was not removed and he was given bath with his clothes on.”
“People offered Salat-ul-Janaza individually. No congregational salat was held with an Imam.” (Muwatta Imam Malik)

Salam Bin Obeid (RU), was one of the residents of Suffah. He narrated that the companions asked Abu Bakr (RU), “Should we bury the Prophet?” Abu Bakr (RU) replied, “Yes”. They asked, “Where?” Abu Bakr (RU) said “Where he died”. Hence the Prophet (SAS) was buried in Aisha’s chamber. (Majma-al-Zawaid).
As described in Bukhari, Aisha (RUA) said, “Prophet Mohammad (SAS) said during his illness before death, ‘Where will I stay tonight? Where am I supposed to be tomorrow?’ All his wives very willingly agreed to let him stay in my chamber during his final illness? He passed away when his head was in my lap. He was buried in my room.”

PREPARATION FOR THE GRAVE

Abdullah bin Abbas (RU) narrated that at the time of the bath of the Prophet (SAS) some companions gathered outside his house. Abbas (RU) called two of them. He sent one to bring Abu Obeida bin Jarrah (RU) since he used to dig straight graves in Makkah. Abbas (RU) sent the other person to bring Abu Talha (RU) since he used to dig graves in Madina with a side trench in it. At that time Abbas (RU) also made this supplication, “O Allah, choose one of them for your beloved Prophet”. By chance the messengers could not find Abu Obeida (RU) or Abu Talha (RU). Hence Abbas (RU) made the grave for the Prophet with a side trench at the bottom of the grave. (Bukhari, Muwatta) 

BURIAL OF ABU BAKR (RU)

Caliph Abu Bakr (RU) left a will with Aisha [ to bury him by the side of Prophet Mohammad (SAS). Hence he was buried there in such a way that his head was in line with the shoulders of Prophet Mohammad (SAS). A grave with side trench was prepared for him.
Ibn Kathir wrote that Abu Bakr (RU) died in Jamada II of 13H. He was sixty three years old just like Prophet Mohammad (SAS). He was, in this way, with the Prophet (SAS) after death just like he was with him during his lifetime. During Abu Bakr’s (RU) fifteen days illness, Omar (RU) led the salat. (Al Bidaih Wa An Nihaih)

SUPPLICATION OF OMAR (RU) AND HIS MARTYRDOM

Prophet Mohammad (SAS) migrated to Madina and spent rest of his life there and finally died in Madina. Prophet (SAS) used to encourage Muslims to reside and die in Madina. As described by Ibn Majah and narrated by Ibn Omar (RU), Prophet Mohammad (SAS) used to say, “You should wish to die in Madina. I shall be a witness for the person who dies in Madina.”
Hence Omar (RU) used to make the following dua as mentioned in Bukhari, “O Allah, please grant me martyrdom and make me die in the city of Your beloved Prophet (SAS).”

Ibn Kathir wrote that Allah (SWT) granted the dua of Omar (RU) and combined his both wishes. Omar (RU) was leading Sala-tul-Fajr on 26th of Dhul Hajja in the year of 23H. A person attacked him with a double edged sharp dagger causing a fatal wound. This was done by a slave of Al-Mugayyrah bin Shaabah. This slave was known as Abu Luh Luh who was a worshipper of fire and not a Muslim by faith.
Lot of blood was gushing out of the wound of Omar (RU). He was immediately brought to his home. At times he passed out and at times he regained his senses. When he was reminded of the salat, he completed his salat and said “Those who do not establish salat have nothing to do with Islam.” Omar (RU) enquired, “ Who was the attacker?” He was told about Abu Luh Luh, the non Muslim. Omar (RU) said “All praise is for Allah (SWT) who did not cause my death by the hands of a person who is Muslim by faith.” Soon after this he died and was buried by the side of Abu Bakr (RU) on the first of Muharram in the year 24H. Omar (RU) was the third moon which Aisha (RU) saw in her dream.

OMAR’S (RU) PERMISSION FOR BURIAL

As mentioned in Bukhari and narrated by Amar bin Maimon (RU), “I saw that Omar (RU) was instructing his son, Abdullah bin Omar (RU) to visit Aisha (RUA) and after conveying his salam to her, to make the following request. ‘Omar (RU) requests you to grant him permission to be buried along with his companions in her chamber.’ Ibn Omar went to Aisha (RUA) and requested her accordingly. She said, ‘I had reserved this spot for myself. I however, grant you the permission out of sympathy.’ When Ibn Omar returned he informed Omar (RU) about the permission of Aisha (RUA). Omar (RU) said, ‘After my death again convey my salam to Aisha (RUA) and request her once again to grant the permission for burial in her chamber. If she does not grant the permission, bury me in Baqee cemetry.’ Aisha again granted the permission.”

ALI’S (RU) DUA

As mentioned in Bukhari, Ibn Abbas (RU) narrated, “Omar (RU) was put on a cot or a bed after his death. Many people surrounded the cot and were making supplications for Omar (RU). I was among these people. One person put his hand on my shoulder. I turned around and noticed that it was Ali (RU). Ali (RU) made the following supplication, ‘O Omar, may Allah’s (SWT), mercy be showered on you. I wish when I face Allah (SWT) I go there with wonderful deeds like yours. I swear I have full faith in the fact that Allah (SWT) will make you join your companions. I often heard this from Prophet Mohammad (SAS), ‘I, Abu Bakr and Omar went. I, Abu Bakr and Omar entered. I, Abu Bakr and Omar came out.”

VEIL OF AISHA (RUA)

After the burial of Omar (RU) in the Sacred Chamber, Aisha (RUA) put a partition between the area occupied by the graves and rest of the room. It was because Omar (RU) was not mahram to her. Hence she continued keeping her veil from him even after his death.
It is mentioned in Tabka-tul-Kubra and narrated by Malik bin Anas (RU), “After burial of Omar (RU) in the Sacred Chamber, Aisha (RUA) divided her room into two parts by building a wall between the graves and rest of her tiny living area. Whenever she went to the area occupied by the graves, she wore Islamic veil.”
It is mentioned in Vifa-ul-Vifa, Aisha (RUA) said, “When no wall was built between the graves and my living area, I never took my veil off and used to stay wrapped up in clothes.”
These steps of Aisha (RUA) are a guiding light for the Muslim women to observe the Islamic veil. Every muslim woman should ask herself how close she is to this Islamic practice.

ORDER OF THE THREE GRAVES

There are different narrations regarding the order and lay out of the graves of Prophet Mohammad (SAS) and his two companions resting in the Sacred Chamber. Most of the scholars have described it as follows. First grave from Qiblah or from the southern wall of the Sacred Chamber is of Prophet Mohammad (SAS). Abu Bakr’s (RU) grave is a bit north of the Prophet’s (SAS) grave in such a way that the head of Abu Bakr (RU) is in line with the shoulders of the Prophet (SAS). Slightly north of it is the grave of Omar (RU) and his head is in line with the shoulders of Abu Bakr (RU). Samhoudi and other scholars preferred this description over other versions. Nawawi and many other scholars have used this lay out to guide visitors for salutation to Prophet (SAS) and his companions. Nawawi said, “The visitor should face towards the grave with his back toward Qiblah and respectfully offer salutation to the Prophet (SAS). Then move about half a meter to his right and offer salutation to Abu Bakr (RU). Finally move about half meter more to his right and offer salutation to Omar (RU).

THE OUTER APPEARANCE OF THE GRAVES

It will be pertinent to mention here that the companions never put bricks or other similar materials on these three graves. Qasim bin Mohammad bin Abu Bakr (RU) narrated as mentioned in Sunan Abu Dawud, “ I visited Aisha (RU) and requested her to show me these three graves. I observed that the graves were neither very high above the ground nor totally in level with the ground. I saw these covered with reddish color earth.”
It is mentioned in Tabqa-tul-Kubra by Ibn Saad as narrated by Qassim, “I was only a child when I visited these graves which were covered with reddish color earth.”

It is mentioned in Fatah Bari as narrated by Abu Bakr Ajari (RU)
“I saw these graves during the period of Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU). These were about four inches above the ground level”. It is also mentioned in Fatah Bari as narrated by Rija bin Haiwah, “Waleed bin Abdul Malik wrote to Omar bin Abdul Aziz to purchase the hujrat of the wives of Prophet Mohammad (SAS) and include this area in the mosque as well. When the walls of the hujrats were removed, these graves became visible. The sandy soil on the graves had somewhat leveled off. Omar bin Abdul Aziz rebuilt the walls of Aisha’s chamber during the expansion of the Prophet’s Mosque.”

A renowned scholar, Samhoudi, mentioned in Vifa-ul-Vifa that the walls of the Sacred Chamber were remodeled in 878H. He had the privilege and honor of entering the Sacred Chamber during these repairs. Samhoudi said, “As I entered the Sacred Chamber, I found very delicate fragrance there which I had never experienced in my life before. I offered salutation to the Prophet (SAS) and his both companions. Then I focused my attention to condition of the graves so that I could describe it fully to others. All three graves were almost even to the ground level. At one place there was a slight rise above the ground level. It was probably, Omar’s (RU) grave. The graves were definitely covered by ordinary earth.”
After this occasion nobody has been able to see these graves since all the four walls of the Sacred Chamber have been fully built upto the roof level and closed for any view.
I may add that some people are carrying pictures of these graves indicating that the graves are built of bricks or stones and are quite high from the ground level. It is total fabrication. This approach is like following the footsteps of Jews. When Jews wanted to make something permissible for them, they would ascribe it to Prophet Moses (AS) to justify their actions.

SPOT FOR THE FOURTH GRAVE

As mentioned some hadith and other authentic books there is a spot for a fourth grave in the Sacred Chamber. This is the same spot which Aisha (RUA) offered to Abdur Rahman bin Auf (RU). Hafs bin Omar bin Abdur Rahman narrated, “ When Abdur Rahman bin Auf (RU) was on his death bed, Aisha (RUA) sent him a message that I have kept a spot for you near the Prophet (SAS). Accept it, if you like.” Abdur Rahman (RU) said, “ I have heard that you have not removed your veil since Omar (RU) was burried in your room. Furthermore, I do not like to convert the house of the Prophet (SAS) into a cemetery. I have promised Osman bin Mazun (RU) that our graves will be situated close to each other.” (History of Madina-Ibn Shabah)
Hence there is a spot for a fourth grave in the Sacred Chamber. It is also mentioned in Bukhari that Aisha (RUA) left this will with her nephew Abdullah bin Zubair (RU), instructing him not to bury her in the Sacred Chamber. Rather bury her with rest of the wives of the Prophet (SAS) in Baqee cemetery since she does not wish to distinguish herself from his other wives.
Imam Malik (RTA) said, “There was some space in the Sacred Chamber. Hence Aisha (RUA) was told that, if it pleased her, she would be buried there after her death”. Aisha (RUA) replied, ‘I would then become one who invents an innovation.’”
Many scholars have written that there is a spot for a grave near the eastern part of the Sacred Chamber. Saeed bin Al-Musayyab said, “This is the spot for Isa (AS).” Furthermore, it is obvious that there was a tiny living area for Aisha (RUA) in her humble hut after the partition was built to separate her from the graves. In other words, there is a spot for the fourth grave in the Sacred Chamber, where Isa (AS) will be buried.

BURIAL OF ISA (AS)

Tirmidhi has mentioned as narrated by Abdullah bin Salam (AS), “The characteristics of Prophet Mohammad (SAS) are described in Old Testament and it is also mentioned there that Isa (AS) will be buried with him”.
Abdullah bin Omar (RU) has narrated that Prophet Mohammad (SAS) said, “Isa (AS) will descend to the earth. He will marry and will have children. In this way he will spend forty five years and finally he will die and will be buried with me. On the Day of Judgement. I, Isa (AS), Abu Bakr and Omar will rise from the same site.” (Al-Vifa).

HISTORICAL STAGES IN CONSTRUCTION OF THE SACRED CHAMBER

Original hujra or hut of Aisha was built of branches of palm trees covered with blanket of hair. The frame of the door was made of wood. The branches of trees were replaced by bricks by Omar (RU).
It is narrated by Obeid ullah bin Abu Yazeed that the walls of the house of Prophet (SAS) were not made of bricks, stones or any other such materials. Omar (RU) rebuilt these walls by bricks during his Caliphate. These walls were, however, small. Abdulla bin Zubair raised these higher. (Tabka-tul-Kubra). Near the end of the first century of Hijra, Omar bin Abdul Aziz constructed the walls of the Sacred Chamber with black stone.

THE EVENT OF A VISIBLE FOOT

Urwa bin Zubair narrated that hujrat were removed during the period of Waleed bin Abdul Malik in order to include them in the expansion of the Prophet’s Mosque. At that time the eastern wall of the Sacred Chamber collapsed. It was necessary to dig its foundation to rebuild it. In this process a foot appeared.

Someone said that it was perhaps the Prophet’s (SAS) foot. Urwa saw it and said, “I swear it is not the Prophet’s foot, it is Omar’s (RU) foot”.

More detail of this event is given by Abdullah bin Mohammad bin Aqeel. He said, “I used to come to the Prophet’s Mosque in the later part of the night. I used to salute Prophet (SAS) and then used to stay in the mosque till salat-ul-fajr. One night it was raining. When I reached near the house of Al-Mugayyara bin Shaabah (RU), I came across some fragrance which I had never experienced before. I entered the mosque and saluted the Prophet (SAS). I was surprised to see that one wall of the Sacred Chamber had collapsed. I went inside the chamber and saluted the Prophet (SAS) again. Shortly after this Omar bin Abdul Aziz, the Governor of Madina, arrived there since he had been informed about the fall of the wall. He ordered to cover the Sacred Chamber with a large piece of cloth. In the morning a builder was brought and was told to go inside the chamber. He requested that another person should also accompany him. Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) became ready for it. Qasim bin Abu Bakr volunteered for it also. Similarly Salim bin Abdullah bin Omar volunteered too and insisted to accompany them as well. Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) said, ‘We should not bother the residents of the graves by crowding there.’ Omar (RU) then said to his freed slave, Mazaham, ‘Please go inside all alone.’ Mazaham said, ‘The first grave is slightly lower in height than the other two graves.’ After the completion of the renovation Omar (RU) said to Mazaham, ‘Go inside again and clean the Sacred Chamber.’ Mazaham went in again and did the general cleaning there after the renovation activities. Later on Omar (RU) remarked, ‘I wish I had done this cleaning in place of Mazaham. This cleaning activity would have been better for me than all of the worldly assets.’”

FIVE CORNERED WALLS

In 91H, Omar bin Abdul Aziz built these five cornered walls around the inner four walls of the Sacred Chamber so that nobody may enter the Sacred Chamber. These outer walls are about seven meters high and are covered by a cloth. These days this outer structure is called Sacred Chamber. Samhoudi said, “The outer walls were made with five corners instead of four, so that the Sacred Chamber does not resemble the Kabah. This was to avoid any possibility of people making prostration to the Sacred Chamber.

In 1296H, a screen of a window fell inside the Sacred Chamber. Burzanji went, with the Imam of Prophet’s Mosque, on the roof of the mosque. They saw that there was an inner smaller dome. The inner Sacred Chamber was a square structure and covered with a cloth. Hence it was not possible to see inside the Sacred Chamber enclosed by the four walls.

RENOVATION OF WALLS OF THE SACRED CHAMBER

During the period of Qaitabai, the walls of the Sacred Chamber were renovated again. Samhoudi described it as follows:
“The eastern wall of Sacred Chamber developed some cracks. The cracks were filled and white washing was done on top of it. In due course of time these fillings wore off and cracks appeared in the five cornered walls of the Sacred Chamber. Hence on the 14th of Shaaban 881H, the outer five walls of the Sacred Chamber were removed for reconstruction. The cracks were also visible in the inner four walls of the Sacred Chamber. Hence these innermost walls were also removed. This made the Sacred Chamber open and visible.” Samhoudi stated, “I had the privilege and honor to enter the Sacred Chamber. I entered from the backside (i.e. North). I experienced a unique fragrance there which I never came across in my life. I humbly saluted the Prophet (SAS) and his two companions. I then took part in reconstruction of the Sacred Chamber voluntarily and this construction work was completed on the seventh of Shawwal.”

Samhoudi added, “We saw that the inner structure of the Sacred Chamber was a square and built of black stones similar to the stones of Kabah. There was no door in it. The visitor automatically develops very lovely feelings there.” 

Abu Mohammad's Blog

Curtains inside the Sacred Chamber

Details of various curtains that once graced the Hujrah, the Honoured Room of the most honoured of creation, Muhammad SallAllahu alaihi wasallam.

Prophets%20mosque%20curtains1.JPG

Almutawaj belkaram - The one crowned with miracle

Almuzallal belgham - The one shaded by clouds

Allah’s peace and blessings be upon the Prophet and his family.

Prophets%20mosque%20curtains2.JPG

Qur’anic verses and Salawaat adorn one of the curtains that

used to surround the Abode of our Blessed Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam.

Prophets%20mosque%20curtains3.JPG

The first cover sent from Istanbul to Madinah, woven during the reign of Sultan Ahmad 1. Old covers would be sent back to Istanbul by the current Amir at the time and taken to the tomb of Abu Ayyub al-Ansari RadhiAllahu anhu where they would be displayed for some time before being sent to the Apartments of the Holy Mantle in the Topkapi Palace Museum.

Some narrations say it was the mother of Haroon Rashid, the Abbasid Caliph (786-809 CE)  who donated the first curtain for the Hujrah, others say it was the wife. And Allah the Almighty knows best.

After that it was the Prime Minister of Egypt who ordered a white curtain decorated and embellished with Surah Yasin. Two years later the Caliph sent violet curtains with his name being the main motif! The next one recorded was black, which accompanied his mother when she came for Hajj, and then another sent to be placed over these two, forming three layers.

Thereafter, every six years a Kiswa made of white silk embroidered with gold and silver from Egypt was provided.

Prophets%20mosque%20curtains4.JPG

Kiswa al-Saadat, the Curtain of Bliss
When the Ottomans were in control they established the green curtain with red and gold calligraphy features as above.

Aisha's Chamber where the 3 Noble graves are located

Shows the above curtain in full

aisha's hujrah green curtain.jpg  aisha's hujrah green curtain roukaya.jpg

Prophets%20mosque%20curtains5.JPG

Detail of the above,bearing inscriptions and greetings of peace and praise for The Holy Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam.

These designs are stunning, not only for their artisitic merit, which is superlative, but for the fact that they all once veiled our Blessed Rasulullah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam! Allahu Akbar!

All good is from Allah Ta’ala whereas mistakes are from this humble speck. May Allah Ta’ala Bless all readers, bringing you all closer to Him and His Rasul SallAllahu alaihi wasallam. May He accept our humble efforts and grant us the capacity to be good and do good. Ameen.
Al-Miskeenah

• Like 1

Open Courtyard inside Masjid Nabawi

open court of masjid nabwi.jpg 

Ariel view showing the two open courtyards

masjid nabwi roof.jpg

From AlMiskeenah

These two photos (grabbed from online long ago…(apologies for not knowing who to thank for these)  are of some of the six existing umbrellas in the two open courtyards inside Masjid Nabawi

open court yard unfurlingumbrellas.jpg   open courtyard umbrellas opening.jpg 

• Like 1

Doors on the Eastern Side

doors_on_eastern_side of masjid nabwi.jpg

This is a view of the eastern wall of Masjid-e-Nabwi showing current prominent doors, some of which were used at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him).

1. Bab-e-Baqi (Door of Baqi)
This door was installed in 1408 AH and is exactly opposite to Bab-e-Salaam which is on the western side. This door is to facilitate the flow of people leaving the masjid after giving salutation to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) and his two companions.

2. Funeral place
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) used to lead Salat-ul-Janaza at this site and the Sahaba continued this tradition. Abu Saeed Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) described how and when this place was used for funeral services:

“In the very beginning we used to inform the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) when someone was near death. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) used to visit the ailing person and made supplication for his forgiveness. Many times the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) stayed there till the completion of the funeral services. In this way the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) had to wait there for a very long time at each such occasion. We, therefore, decided to take the body of the deceased person near the Hujrat (houses of the wives of the Prophet) so that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) can lead the salat more easily. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) started offering Salat-ul-Janaza in the area described above.”

The Turks built an enclosure around the funeral courtyard which used to be open to worshippers. Recently however, it is used as a storage space for materials needed in Masjid-e-Nabwi.

3. Bab-e-Jibraeel (Door of Jibraeel)
This door is also called Bab-un-Nabi since the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) used to enter the masjid through this door.

Jibraeel (upon him be peace) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) after the battle of Ahzab (the battle of the Confederates and also known as the battle of the Trench), and talked to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) at the door step of Bab-e-Jibraeel. It is mentioned in Bukhari as narrated by Aisha (may Allah be pleased with him), “After the battle of Ahzab, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) disarmed himself and took a bath. In the meanwhile, Jibraeel (upon him be peace) came riding a pony and talked to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) near the door step of of Bab-e-Jibraeel. Jibraeel (upon him be peace) said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him), “You have put away your arms but we (the angels) are still in battle uniforms. So you should come with us to attack the tribe of Banu Qurayza.” Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) added, “I was looking at Jibraeel (upon him be peace) through the cracks in the door of my hut. Jibraeel (upon him be peace) was covered with dust.”

4. Bab-un-Nisa (Door of the Women)
Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) expanded the masjid during 17 AH. He built this door at the end of eastern wall of the mosque. Women used to enter the masjid from this door and offered their salat in the last rows and thus were able to avoid contact with men. Abu Dawud mentioned that Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “We should let the ladies use this door exclusively.”

References: History of Madinah Munawwarah – Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

islamiclandmarks.com

• Like 1

Details of the Doors of Masjid Nabawi

Houses of the Companions plan Imtiaz Ahmed.jpg

Click on picture to enlarge to see the position of the doors - marked D1, D2 etc.

Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) installed twenty doors during the extension of the Prophet’s Mosque in 91 Hijrah. Eight of these doors were in the eastern wall. Similarly eight doors were in western wall of the Mosque. Remaining four doors were in the northern wall of the mosque.

When Caliph Mehdi Abbasi further extended the Mosque in 165 Hijrah, he did not install any additional door. However, the location of these doors was somewhat changed as needed.

Many historians have described the surrounding of the Mosque with reference to these twenty doors of Mehdi extension. Most of these doors assumed their names from the names of the companions or other persons whose homes happened to be situated near that door. Hence these doors were very helpful for the earlier scholars in searching for the location of various houses around the Mosque.

It will, therefore, be very appropriate to describe these twenty doors one by one to make ourselves familiar with them.

Eastern Doors

Door No.1: It was called Bab-un-Nabi. This name does not mean that Prophet Mohammad (SAS) used to enter and leave his home through this door. In fact this door did not exist at the time of the Prophet (SAS). This door, however, assumed above name since it happened to be opposite to the Hujrah of Aisha (RUA). This door was closed during a later extension and a window was installed at its location. This window still exists in the eastern wall of the mosque and has the following writing on top of it. Al-Ahzab # 56

Allah sends His Graces on the Prophet (SAS) and also His Angels ask Allah to bless him. O you who believe! Send your Salat on him (ask Allah to bless him) and greet him with the Islamic way of greeting.

Door No. 2: It was called Bab Ali since it was located opposite to Ali’s (RU) Hujrah. This door was also closed during a later extension and a window was also installed at its location. This window can be seen in the eastern wall of the present mosque. These two windows are between Bab Jibreel and Bab Baqee.

Door No. 3: It was called Bab Jibreel and it does exist even now.

Door No. 4: It was called Bab-un-Nisa and it does exist even now.

Door No. 5: This was opposite to the house of Asma bint Hussain bin Abdullah bin Obaidullah bin Abbas (RU).

Door No. 6: This door was opposite to the house of Khalid bin Waleed (RU).

The following wording was written inside this door

This extension is made by the order of Caliph Mohammad Mehdi Abbasi and was carried out by the workers of Basra during 162 H. This is where the Mehdi extension starts.

(History of Madina by Ibn Shubba and Vafa-ul-Vafa)

Door No. 7: This door was opposite to the route leading to open space used for toilet needs by women of Madina.

Door No. 8: This door was opposite to the houses built on donated land. This was the last door in the eastern wall.

Northern Doors

Door No. 9: It was opposite to the house of Hameed bin Abudur Rehman bin Auf (RU).

Door No. 10: It was opposite to the house of Abu Algais bin Mugheera.

Door No. 11,12: Both these doors were opposite to the Hujrah of Caliph’s freed slave Khalisa.

Western Doors

Door No. 13: This was opposite to the house of Abdullah (RU) son of Jaafar bin Abi Talib.

Door No. 14: It was opposite to house of Munira.

Door No. 15: It was opposite to the house of Sakina bint Husain (RUA).

Door No. 16: It was opposite to the house of Hassan bin Thabit (RU) who was a famous poet at the time of the Prophet (SAS).

Door No. 17: It was called Bab Rahmat and it does still exist.

Door No. 18: This was between Bab Abu Bakr (RU) and Bab Rahmat and was on the site of Bab Ziyad.

Door No. 19: It was known as Bab Abu Bakr and it does still exist.

Door No. 20: It was called Bab-us- Salam and it does still exist.

Dr Imtiaz Ahmed

Sliding Domes of Masjid Nabawi

sliding domes.jpg   moving-roof-masjid-nabvi-medina-saudi-arabia+1152_13351265403-tpfil02aw-2185.jpg    sliding dome in masjid nabwi.jpg 

There are twenty seven sliding domes, the diameter of  each is 14.7 metres  and weigh 80 tons. They have an outside ceramic finishing made of Maple and Moroccan wood. The moving time for each is one minute electrically and thirty minutes manually. "Women's Guide in Madinah Munawwarah" Mufti Muhammad Faruq

slidingdomes01-43.jpg

This picture was posted by Roukaya19 on muftisays.com

A Dome Closing

• Like 2

Minarets of Masjid Nabawi

minarets of masjid nabawi.jpg

Umar bin Abdul Azeez ra was the first to construct Minarets for Masjid Nabawi. Four were constructed, on eon each corner of the Masjid. Minarets have been knocked down and added as different rulers presided over the centuries.

There are in total ten minarets, six new and four old. The total height of the new minarets is 104 metres.

minaret by the dome3.jpg

As for the old  minarets, the one next to the Green Dome is at a height of 44.53 metres and the one next to Bab-us-Salaam is 38.85 metres high. The two minarets built during the first Saudi extension have a hight of 72 metres.

"Women's Guide in Madinah Munawwarah" Mufti Muhammad Faruq

Future Mega Plans for Masjid Nabawi

According to information online this is what Masjid Nabawi could look like in the future... Look at the towering Minarets!

future plan Masjid-Nabaw.jpg

• Like 1

The Basement

The height of the basement in four metres. Secondary services are accommodated within the basement. Connected to the basement is an underground tunnel which penetrates the streets of the city, leading to the special services which contains the electrical and mechanical machinery and hardware plant, supplying the cool and chilled water for air conditioning to the Masjid complex. "Women's Guide in Madinah Munawwarah" Mufti Muhammad Faruq

Wudhu Area

With a row of toilets next to it

wudhukhana masjid nabawi.jpg

Car Park

Past the Wudhu area is the car park.

car park -underground -in masjid nabawi.jpg

The following short video shows the car park and Toilet/Wudhu areas.Escalators lead up to the next floor with a similar layout. The third escalator leads to the courtyard of Masjid Nabawi. InshaAllah  I hope this information will come in useful to someone going to Madinatul Munawwarah for the first time.

Video

Zamzam Water Supply at Masjid Nabawi

Zamzam water is transported from Makkah and supplied throughout Masjid Nabawi. The water containers are continuously filled manually by workers. One often sees truckloads of containers being delivered in the courtyard or empty barrels piled up, ready to be picked up. At one point in the courtyard, people que up  with containers for Zamzam water. 

zamzam supply in masjid nabawi.jpg  zamzam water containers in masjid nabawi.jpg

zamzam water transported to masjid nabawi.jpg

Sound System, CCTV Monitoring & Lighting in Masjid Nabawi

There is a sound system of 206 amplifiers, each 600 watt, with 3,500 speakers all over the Masjid. There are 534 cameras in the Masjid.

There are 11 electrical sub stations in the basement. There are 38,000  lighting fixtures,  68 gold plated chandeliers each 6.8 meters in diameter as well as  111 small entrance chandeliers. In addition, the new extension has 9,128 circular lighting fixtures made of brass units and glass, inscribed with the names of Almighty Allah.

"Women's Guide in Madinah Munawwarah" Mufti Muhammad Faruq

Click on picture to full screen. Note that this particular circular light has "Laa-i-laaha illallaah Muhammadur Rasoolullaah" inscribed on it and not the names of Almighty Allah as is mentioned above. Therefore maybe Mufti sahib is referring to another circular light.

rounf lighting.jpg

Then & Now

The Prophet’s Masjid, though originally built in the most humble way, was the focal point of establishing all aspects of our Islamic society.  It became the magnet for Islam, as well as being a defending fortress. The light of Islam spread from here as Allah Ta’ala had placed His chosen light of lights, Muhammad SallAllahu alaihi wasallam to illuminate the world through his teachings conducted within his Masjid. By the grace and mercy of Allah Ta’ala this light will continue to radiate, regardless of what form or shape the externals of the Masjid may take.  And nothing can ever take away the heart’s ecstasy upon contemplating Jibreel Alaihis Sallam descending with new revelations to our Beloved Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam, or the voice of our Beloved Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam repeating these Sanctified Words of Allah Ta’ala, teaching them over and over to his faithful Sahabah RadhiAllahu anhum, and they in turn conveying them to others.  The whole of Madinah vibrated with the buzz of recitation. The beauty and sweetness, the nobility of the message, the power and vividness of its imagery, had a masterful sway over the hearts and minds of all. Such was the environment where the final message to mankind was completed and perfected, SubhanAllah!

The foremost task to shine from within the mud walls was the spiritual component, congregational Salat, the cohesive core of the Ummah unity, our individual response to the command of Allah Ta’ala, showing our obedience to Him, glorifying His Divinity and seeking His guidance. The establishment of prayer offered the way to purify the heart while strengthening the link between the slave and his Lord. The multi-purpose function of the Masjid was laid down; it became a sanctuary, for the traveler, the distressed, and the needy.  It was a place of gathering, not only for local residents, but for foreign tribes and dispatching and receiving various foreign delegates. It was a university, conducting teaching and learning in all aspects of the Qur’an and Islamic sciences. It was a military command centre. The resounding call for Jihad echoed from this meek structure. During times of battle it even served as a hospital.  And thus all aspects of a society emanated from Al-Masjid An-Nabawi  as-Shairf, Alhumdulillah.

Then

Sixty four date-palm trunks supported this original Mubarak Masjid,

Now there are 2725 marble columns, each 64 cm in diameter.

Then

A low roof of thatched dried palm leaves was all that was between the worshippers and the searing sun, or the infrequent rains. 

Now there are 27 moving domes 14.70 meters in diameter and weighing 80 tons each, laminated with a ceramic outside surface, while the inside surface is carved Maple and Moroccan cedar inlaid with gold leaf and turquoise. Electronically controlled to open and shut according to the temperature and climatic conditions. Silently taking one minute to mechanically open and shut, or 30 minutes manually. 12 hydraulically operated umbrellas provide shade in the two internal open courtyards. Ornate ceilings richly carved and decorated and encrusted in all manner of glittering surfaces, giving the illusion of rising heavenward.

Then

The natural mud floor instilled humility, the forehead cushioned on the hallowed dust of this most sanctified place on earth.  Once when it rained the Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam’s  Mubarak face, and all others attending the Salat RadhiAllahu anhum, were smeared with mud from prostrating. Many of the Sahabah RadhiAllahu anhum then began bringing in dry rubble and sand to spread over the earth. Upon seeing this Rasulullah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam said:  “What a good carpet you have brought in!”

Now Polished Italian marble, at times one lifting the hem of your clothing like Bilqees due to it shimmering like the still reflective surface of water and thick plush decorative carpets are now under bare soles.

Then

The highest house near the Masjid belonged to a woman of the Najjar clan. Just before dawn Bilal RadhiAllahu anhu would come there to sit on the roof waiting for the first faint light in the east. It is said that his call to prayer could be heard all over Madinah at the time.

Now a sound system of 206 amplifiers, each 600 watt, with 3500 speakers reverberate the Adhan across the city.  

Then

Three doors were all that were in the original Masjid.  

Now there are 85 decorative main entrance doors, each 3x6 meters, with countless smaller ones.

Then

Straw fires lit in the open courtyard for evening prayers at the time of Rasulullah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam.  Later oil lamps were attached to the date- palm trunks for the evening and dawn prayers. This was a welcomed innovation from Ash-Sham by Tamim ad-Dari RadhiAllahu anhu, who was more rewarded by the comment by the Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam saying to him: “You have illuminated our Masjid. May Allah Ta’ala illuminate your life.”

Now there are 11 electrical sub stations in the basement to power 67,000 brass lighting fixtures, 68 gold plated chandeliers each 6.8 meters in diameter and 110 entrance chandeliers .

Then

The natural breeze was all that gave respite to the inhabitants at the time.

Now a huge air conditioning station located 7 km from the Masjid, connected by tunnels and kilometers of pipes ensures year round pleasant temperatures. The current work plans are to cover the entire outside courtyard with the heat resistant umbrellas.

Then

After a time a date-palm trunk was set up for Bilal RadhiAllahu anhu to call Adhan from, n

Now there are six main soaring minarets at 104 meters, the lower portion granite, the upper section coloured artificial stone, with a crescent made of gold plated bronze, this section weighing 4.5 tons at a height of 7 meters. There are four older minarets from previous expansions.

Other features include; CCTV monitoring and control system with 543 cameras! A Fire detection system, escalators, chilling facilities for Zamzam, two levels of underground car parking accommodating  4500 cars, with the new extensions adding hundreds more.

The current praying capacity, including the external courtyard, [but not the streets which are overflowing during the peak seasons], and roof area is approximately 800,000.

Let us for a moment imagine we are back in time listening to the very words of the first Khutbah delivered by our Noble Nabi SallAllahu alaihi wasallam in his magnificent Masjid.

After praising Allah Ta’ala he said: “To proceed: O people, send forth [good deeds] for yourselves. You know, by Allah, that each one of you will be struck [by death]. Then he [that is each one of you] will leave behind his sheep, which will be left without a shepherd. Then, without a translator, and without a veil separating [Allah] from him, his Lord will say to him, ‘Did not My Messenger come to you and convey to you [My message]? I gave you wealth and I bestowed favours upon you; then what did you send forth [that is in terms of deeds] for yourselves?’ He will then look to his right and then to his left, and he will not see anything. Then he will look before him and all that he will see is the Hellfire. So whosoever is able to protect his face from the Hellfire even with part of a date [that is by giving it in charity], then let him do so. And whosoever does not find [even part of a date to give in charity], then let him do so with a good word, for the reward of a good deed is multiplied ten times, and up to seven hundred times. And may peace, the mercy of Allah, and His blessings be upon you.”

May our hearts forever be moved by all that went before, reliving through all means available to us the essence of our glorious Deen as shown to us by our most cherished of creation SallAllahu alaihi wasallam and his esteemed Sahabah RadhiAllahu anhum in the most blessed of cities, this Forever Radiant Madinah, the Humble. Ameen.  

Al-Miskeenah

• Like 1

The Houses of the Companions (Radhiyallaahu 'anhum)

Around Masjid Nabawi

Companions.jpg

The following few posts will be regarding the details of the

houses of the Companions (Radhiyallaahu 'anhum) around the Masjid.

Dr. Imtiaz Ahmed (easyquranfoundation.com)

* Note that D1, D2 ..etc. refer to the doors of Masjid Nabawi as described in Post Number 40 on Page 2 of this topic

• Like 1

The Houses of the Companions (Radhiyallaahu 'anhum) Around Masjid Nabawi  (Map in the Previous Post)

Houses on the South Side

1. Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU) and his house:

His name was Khaled but was known as Abu Ayyub. He was son of Zaid bin Kulaib bin Najjar. He belonged to Khazraj tribe. He took part in all the battles. Ali (RU) appointed him governor of Madina. He took part in the battle of Qabras during the period of Muawiya (RU). In spite of his old age he joined the army led by Yazeed bin Muawiya to attack Constantinople (Istanbul). He remembered the prediction of the Prophet (SAS) and hence very eagerly joined this army. He became seriously ill during this journey. He requested his brothers to bury him only after they have penetrated into enemy’s territory. Hence he was buried inside the walls of the city of Constantinople. His grave is well known in the present city of Istanbul in Turkey. He died in 52H and the commander of his army, Yazeed bin Maawiya, led his Salat-ul-Janaza.

As seen in the map his house was in the southeastern corner of the Prophet’s Mosque. When the Prophet (SAS) migrated to Madina, he stayed in the house of Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU) till the Hujrat for his wives were built.

As mentioned in Vafa-ul-Vafa, and narrated by Aisha (RUA), “When the Prophet (SAS) arrived in Madina, he got down from his camel near the house of Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU). He asked, ‘Whose house is nearest from my mother’s relatives?’ Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU) said, ‘This is my house and here is its door. The Prophet (SAS) said, ‘Go ahead and make arrangements for my rest there.’”

Aflah, the freed slave of Abu Ayyub (RU) said, “Initially the Prophet (SAS) Occupied the ground floor of this house and Abu Ayyub’s (RU) family stayed in the floor above it.”

It is mentioned in Muslim that one night Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU) realised that he was walking on a floor that happened to lie above the Prophet (SAS). He considered it a matter of disrespect to the Prophet (SAS). He huddled his family into a corner of the floor he was occupying. Next morning he expressed his serious concern to the Prophet (SAS). He said to the Prophet (SAS), “I cannot stay in a floor which happened to lie above you.” Hence the Prophet (SAS) transferred to the top floor while Abu Ayyub’s (RU) family moved to the ground floor. This shows Abu Ayyub’s deep respect for the Prophet (SAS).

This house went through many changes in due course of time. Malik Shahab-ud-Din purchased it and converted it into an institution that provided education for the four schools of thought of Islamic jurisprudence. It was known as Shehabia Institute.

During the thirteenth century of Hijrah, it was rebuilt with a dome and a mehrab and looked like a mosque. A stone was displayed on it with the following writing.

This is the house of Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU) and first residence of the Prophet. (Rebuilt in 1291H).

During the fifteenth century Hijrah, King Fahd extended the Prophet’s Mosque in all four directions. This house was removed in order to make a very wide courtyard around the Prophet’s Mosque. At present the location of this house is only a few steps form the southeastern corner of the Prophet’s Mosque and is a part of the large open space there.

2. Harthe bin Nuaman Ansari (RU) and his house:

He was the son of Nuaman bin Nafee Najjari. He belonged to Khazraj tribe. He took part in all the battles including Badr. He was a very pious person and was very generous to others. He was extremely obedient to his mother.

As mentioned in Musnad Ahmad and narrated by Aisha (RUA), the Prophet (SAS) said, “I heard recitation of Quran as I entered the paradise. I inquired who was it? I was told that he was Harthe bin Nuaman (RU).” The Prophet remarked, “Such is the reward for the sincere obedience of mother.”

One day Jibreel (AS) was sitting with the Prophet (SAS). Harthe (RU) passed that way and saluted them. Later on the Prophet asked Harthe (RU), “Did you see the person sitting with me when you saluted?” Harthe (RU) said, “Yes, indeed.” The Prophet (SAS) said, “It was Jibreel (AS) and he answered your salam.”

Harthe (RU) had many houses around the Prophet’s mosque. He offered all of them to the Prophet (SAS) and gave the Prophet (SAS) full freedom to use anyone of them as and when he needed. Whenever he saw that the Prophet (SAS) did a new marriage, he vacated his one house for his new family. By and by he vacated all his houses around the Prophet’s Mosque for the wives of the Prophet (SAS) and for the emigrants to Madina.

As seen in the map, his house was adjacent to Abu Ayyub Ansari’s (RU) house. Jaafar bin Sadiq (RU) used to live in this house. At present it is part of the open space on the south side of the Prophet’s Mosque.

3. Hasan bin Zaid bin Hasan (RU) and his house:

He was the grand grandchild of Ali (RU). He was born in 83H. He was the headman of Banu Hashim tribe. Mansur Abbasi appointed him the governor of Madina. Five years later, when Mansur feared some opposition from him, he removed Hasan from this office and prisoned him in Baghdad. When Mehdi Abbasi came into power, he released him from the prison. Mehdi honored him by keeping Hasan with him most of the time. Hasan passed away five miles from Baghdad near a village called Hajr when both were coming to Makkah for Hajj.

As seen in the map, his house was on the south side of the Prophet’s Mosque. It had streets on its all four sides.

In 1283H, Sheikh Arif Hikmat built a library. It was a very beautiful and famous library. During the second Saudi extension, it was removed. Its rare books were transferred to Malik Abdul Aziz library.

4. House of Ibrahim bin Hesham:

As seen in the map, Ibrahim’s house and Hassan’s house were separated by a 2½ meter wide street and these houses were opposite to each other. As mentioned in Vafa-ul-Vafa, a Travel Lodge was built on the site of Ibrahim’s house which was known as Rubat Maragha.

5. Saad bin Abi Waqqas (RU) and his house:

He was son of Malik bin Aheeb who was known as Abi Waqqas.  Hence Saad was called Saad bin Abi Waqqas.  He is one of those who accepted Islam at the dawn of Islam.  He was from Ashab-us-Suffah. He was also one of those ten companions who were given the glad tiding of their entry into paradise by the Prophet (SAS).

Omar (RU) nominated him for the advisory council to choose a Caliph after him. He conquered Qadsia.  He was the first one who shooted an arrow for defending Islam.  Allah (SWT) very readily accepted his supplications.

He was governor of Kufa during the periods of Omar (RU) and Osman (RU).  He came back to Madina during the period of Osman (RU) and died during 50 H.  He was buried in Baqee.

His house was opposite to Ibrahim bin Hasham’s house.  A Street ran between their houses. Probably Saad bin Abi Waqqas’ house was included in Hasan bin Zaid’s house.

6. Amer bin Abudllah bin Zubair and his house:

He was son of Abdullah bin Zubair bin Awwan (RU). He was very pious and fearful of Allah (SWT). One time his shoe was stolen. He swore that he would never buy another shoe lest a Muslim steals it and that Muslim will become sinner. He died in 121H.

As seen in the map, his house was adjacent to Ibrahim’s house.

7. Jaafar bin Abi Talib (RU) and his house:

He was son of the Prophet’s uncle. Jaafar (RU) accepted Islam at the very dawn of Islam. He migrated to Habsha because of the torture by the disbelievers. King of Habsha was very impressed by his speech and consequently, accepted Islam. He migrated to Madina on the day of the conquest of Khaiber. It doubled the happiness of the Prophet (SAS). At that moment the Prophet remarked, “I cannot say what made me more happy: joining of Jaafar here or the conquest of Khaiber.”

The Prophet (SAS) used to call him Abu Miskeen i.e. father of the poor. The Prophet (SAS) said, “Jaafar resembles me very much in figure and character.”

The battle of Muuta took place during 8H and commander of Muslim army; Zaid bin Harith (RU) became martyr. Now Jaafar became commander but he also died fighting the enemy. It was seen that he had more than ninety wounds on his body. The Prophet (SAS) was very much grieved at his death. The Prophet said, “I saw Jaafar flying with the angels in the paradise.” Jaafar came to be known as Jaafar Tayyar (i.e. flying Jaafar) after this remark of the Prophet (SAS).

As seen in the map, his house was adjacent to the Mosque near the mehrab Nabawi. The Prophet (SAS) granted him this land when Jaafar returned from Habsha. Part of this house was included in the extension of the mosque by Omar (RU) during 17H. The remaining part of this house was also included in the mosque during the extension made by Osman (RU) during 29H. (Vafa-ul-Vafa).

8. Abbas and his house:

Abbas bin Abdul Mutalib was uncle of the Prophet (SAS). He unwillingly took part in the Battle of Badr and was on the side of the disbelievers. He was arrested by the Muslims and was freed after paying ransom. He needed a shirt to cover his body as a prisoner. Abdullah bin Obi bin Salool, the hypocrite, gave him his shirt since others’ shirts did not fit Abbas. The Prophet (SAS) gave his shirt for wrapping the body of Abdullah when Abdullah died in order to return similar favor to him.

Later on Abbas (RU) accepted Islam and migrated to Madina. The Prophet (SAS) made Nofal bin Harith his brother to strengthen the brotherhood between the emigrants and Ansar. Abbas inherited Amara (i.e. the custodial services of Kabah) and Siqaya (i.e. the eating and water drinking facilities for the pilgrims). After the conquest of Makkah, the Prophet (SAS) reassigned these honorable positions to Abbas (RU).

Abbas (RU) was born three years before the event of elephants took place in which Allah (SWT) destroyed those who intended to destroy Kabah. Abbas (RU) died in Madina during 32H. He lost his eyesight in his old age. He lived 89 years.

The Prophet (SAS) granted him a piece of land on the south side of the Prophet’s Mosque. Abbas (RU) built a house on it. After completion of his house Abbas (RU) recited the following poem.

I built this home with unbaked bricks, stones and pieces of wood. The birds may sit on it and fly over it. O Allah, shower your blessings on the residents of this house.

The Prophet (SAS) made the following supplications

O Allah, please shower Your blessing on this home. The Prophet (SAS) personally installed the spout for the discharge of water from the roof of this house while standing on the shoulder of Abbas (RU).

According to the historical narration, Abbas’ (RU) house was located between the fifth column from the pulpit and the second column from Bab-us-Salam. This house was divided into three parts. First part was included in the extension of the Mosque by Omar (RU). Second part was included in the extension of the Mosque by Osman (RU). After this about 6½ meters was left in which Abbas (RU) used to keep his cattle. Marvan bin Hakam (RU) included it into his house. When Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) extended the Prophet’s Mosque, he removed it from Marvan’s house and included it also in the Mosque.

An Interesting Event:

Omar (RU) purchased several houses for the extension of the Prophet’s Mosque. Abbas’ (RU) house was adjacent to the Mosque. Hence Omar (RU) said to Abbas (RU), “Abu Fadhl, the Mosque needs extension. Please sell your house for it and I shall pay you for your house generously from the government treasury.” Abbas (RU) refused to sell his house. Omar (RU) asked him to pick one of the following three choices. Sell your house and I shall pay for it fully. Secondly, I am willing to build a house for you in Madina at a site of your choice. Thirdly, donate your property for the benefit of the Muslims. Abbas (RU) refused to accept any of the above options. Omar (RU) suggested to him to pick an arbitrator between them to solve this problem. Abbas (RU) nominated Obai bin Kaab (RU) who used to write the revelations for the Prophet (SAS). Omar (RU) said, “We have both appointed you our arbitrator. We both will accept your judgment.”

Obai bin Kaab (RU) said to Abbas (RU), “Please relate your side of the story.” Abbas (RU) said, “The land on which I built my house, was granted to me by the Prophet (SAS). Even the Prophet (SAS) took part in construction of the house. He fixed this spout with his own hands.” After this Omar (RU) narrated his side of the story. Obai bin Kaab (RU) said to both of them, “Permit me to relate to you a Hadith of the Prophet (SAS).” Both eagerly agreed. Obai bin Kaab (RU) said to them that I personally heard that the Prophet (SAS) saying, “Allah (SWT) ordered Dawud (AS) to build a house where people may do worship. A site was also earmarked for it that happened to be where Masjid Aqsa is. This piece of land was not a perfect square. There was a house of an Israelite on one corner of it. Dawud (AS) requested this owner to sell his house in order to build a house for the worship of Allah (SWT). The owner flatly refused. Dawud (AS) said to him, “I shall take this corner of the house by force to achieve the noble task.” Allah (SWT) said to Dawud (AS), “O Dawud, I only asked you to build a house for the worshippers. You wish to use force for it. This is not appropriate for My Highness. Consequently you better give up the intention of building the mosque for the worshippers.”

On hearing this Omar (RU) said, “You have related something even more stringent than my intention to extend the Mosque.” Omar (RU) brought them to the Mosque where they saw a few companions sitting together as a group. Obai bin Kaab (RU) said to the participants of this group meeting. “Did anyone of you hear the Hadith about Dawud (AS) pertaining to the construction of Masjid Aqsa from the Prophet (SAS)?” Abu Dhur Gaffari (RU) promptly said, “I heard this Hadith from the Prophet (SAS).” Another companion said, “I heard it too.” Now Obai bin Kaab (RU) said to Omar (RU). “You blamed me about the authenticity of this Hadith.” Omar (RU) said, “O Abu Mundhar, I did not mean to blame you. I only wanted that the Hadith become more clear to us.” Omar (RU) now said to Abbas (RU), “You may go. I shall never say to you anything concerning your house.” At this Abbas (RU) said, “I willingly donate my house for the extension of the Mosque without any compensation for it. If however you try to seize it by force, I shall not let you have it.” Omar (RU) got a house built for Abbas (RU) at another site in Madina from the government treasury and part of Abbas’ house was included in the extension of the Prophet’s Mosque.

There are several lessons for us in this event as mentioned in Tabkat Ibn Saad and in Vafa-ul- Vafa.

1.  In mutual dealings we should use tolerance and forgiveness.

2.  In disputes, we should follow the law of Nature.  For example Obai bin Kaab’s (RU) decision was based on the fact that the owner has the full right on his property and it should not be seized from him by force.

3.  We should have keen interest in projects for the public service.

4.  Choose an arbitrator who has sound knowledge of the religion.

5.  The arbitrator should treat both sides fairly and not lean to one side.

6.  The arbitrator should listen to both sides without any prejudice.

7.  Decision should be based on the strength of the matter and not the strength of the person.

8.  We should check the authenticity of every Hadith.  After proof of authenticity, we should fully submit ourselves to it.

9.  There is no difference in the values and codes of ethics of earlier Sharias and the present one.  For example, to lie, thieving, usurping others rights, fornication were all detestable and are even now.

10.  We should try to please the owner.

11.  The owner has the full right over his property.

There are many more similar reminders for us in this event.

9.  Abdullah bin Omar (RU) and his house:

He was son of Caliph Omar (RU). He accepted Islam in his childhood with his father. He was not allowed to take part in the Battle of Badr because he was only a young boy at that time.  He was very particular in following the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAS). For example, he would offer salat at every spot where he happened to see the Prophet (SAS) praying.  He was eighty-four years old when he died in Makkah during 73 H. He happened to be the last companion who died in Makkah.

His house was just east of mehrab as seen in the map.  Bilal (RU) used to call Adhan while standing on a pillar of this house as mentioned in Vafa-ul-Vafa. This was one of the houses on the south side of the Mosque whose doors opened into the Mosque. The door of this house was called “a small door of family of Omar (RU).”

It is described in Umdat-ul-Akhbar that when all the houses in the south side of the Prophet’s Mosque were removed this house was treated differently. Walls of baked bricks enclosed the land of this house and a door was installed in one wall.  It was written on top of this door “the residence of the family of Omar (RU)”. Beautiful flowers were planted inside these four walls.  This garden was just in front of the face of the Prophet (SAS).

The site of the house of Abdullah bin Omar is clearly known because of these boundary walls. These walls were removed very recently in 1375 H during the first Saudi extension of the Prophet’s Mosque. At present, a small part of this house is in the southern hall of the Mosque and the remaining is included in the open space adjacent to this hall.

The iron window in the visitors’ gallery for Salam is the site of the door of the house of the family of Omar (RU). This door of this house went through several changes during the last fourteen hundred years.

First stage:

Part of this house was included in the Mosque during the extension of the Prophet’s Mosque by Caliph Osman (RU) during 29 H.  Osman (RU) constructed another house for Hafsa (RUA) and provided an entrance in it for an easy access to the Mosque.

Second stage:

The remaining part of this house was included in the mosque during the extension by Omar bin Abdul Aziz during 91 H.  He also provided an alternate house for the family of Omar (RU). This house also had a door for an easy entry into the Prophet’s Mosque.  Family of Omar (RU) used this door very frequently.

Third stage:

Note that there are two rows of pillars between the Mehrab Osmani and Mehrab Nabawi. Caliph Mehdi bin Mansur Abbasi constructed a covered path from the southern wall of the Mosque up to the first row of pillars during 165 H. The family of Omar (RU) was stopped to use the door of their house for entry into the Mosque. Alternately an underground tunnel was dug to provide an access to the Mosque for the family of Omar (RU). This tunnel opened where the second row of pillars is with reference to the Mehrab Osmani.  Family of Omar (RU) used this approach to the mosque. The iron window in the visitors’ gallery, that still exists, replaced the door of their house.

When family of Omar (RU) passed away one by one, this underground passage was closed and a lock was put on its door. The door to this tunnel was opened during the Hajj period for visitors. The tunnel became very crowded in due course of time and the intermingling of men and women in it was also undesirable. Sultan Ashraf Qaitabai closed it for good during 888 H. At present the iron window in the visitors’ gallery for Salam marks the site of the house of the family of Omar (RU).

10.  Marvan bin Hakam (RU) and his house:

His full name is Marvan bin Hakam bin Abu-ul-As. He was born in Makkah and he went to Taif with his father in his childhood. He did not see the Prophet (SAS) in person. In 64 H he became a Caliph but died in 65 H.

He dug the blue fountain near Madina and he developed all the land around the Prophet’s Mosque.  He was very witty and courageous.

He left a will according to which he appointed his sons, Abdul Malik and later Abdul Aziz as caliphs.

Sakhavi said that according to some scholars just living as a muslim during the lifetime of the Prophet (SAS) is enough to be counted among his companions. According to them seeing the Prophet (SAS) in person is not necessary.  Such scholars count Marvan bin Hakam among the companions of the Prophet (SAS).

As seen in the map, the house of Marvan bin Hakam was west of the house of Abdullah bin Omar and stretched as far as Bab Salam.

After Marvan, his house became the permanent residence of the governor of Madina. Finally Sultan Qalavun converted it into a facility for ablution. This facility existed till ninth century Hijrah.

Later Bashiria School was built here, which lasted till the first Saudi extension in 1372H. Soon after this the Justice Department Building was constructed over this site. King Fahd removed this building during the major extension and part of this land was included in the southern hall and remaining in the southern open space.

The Houses of the Companions (Radhiyallaahu 'anhum) Around Masjid Nabawi  (Map in Post Number 48)

Houses on the East Side

1. Osman bin Affan (RU) and his houses.

He belonged to Banu Omayya branch of Quraish tribe. His ancestral link joins with the Prophet (SAS) after five steps. He accepted Islam with the preaching of Abu Bakr (RU) at the dawn of Islam. He used to say, “I am the fourth among the four persons who accepted Islam in the very beginning.” The Prophet (SAS) gave him the good tiding of Paradise.

He first migrated to Habsha and later to Madina. He had the unique honor of marrying two daughters of the Prophet (SAS) one after the other. He was, therefore, called Dhul Nurain i.e. owner of two lights. He first married Ruqayya (RUA), and could not join battle of Badr due to her severe illness. He, however, received the reward and his share in the bounty. He married Umm Kalsum (RUA) after Ruqayya’s death.

He became Caliph in Muharram 24H and became martyr in 35 H. He was buried in Baqee. The Prophet (SAS) granted him a piece of land on the east side of the Mosque. Osman (RU) built a house on it. This house is called Darul-Kubra or the large house. Osman (RU) bought some land on the east side of this house and built a house on it too. This second house is called Darul Sughra or the small house.

(A) Large House:

According to the historians, the large house was situated between Bab Jibreel and Habsha Street. Habsha Street ran between the houses of Abu Ayyub Ansari (RU) and Osman (RU). This street was 2½ meters wide. The street lost its identity during the first Saudi extension.

Whenever the Prophet (SAS) visited Osman’s (RU) house he often used Bab Jibreel for it. Hence Bab Jibreel is sometimes called Bab-un-Nabi or Bab Aal Osman. As mentioned above, on the south of this large house was Habsha Street. North of this large house was Baqee street. East of it was smaller house of Osman (RU). While west of the large house was the site for Salat-ul-Janaza.

Later on this house was divided into three parts. A facility for accommodating the poor and needy was built in the portion facing Bab Jibreel by Jamal-ud-Din Mohammad bin Abu Mansur Asfahani. This facility was known as Rubat Asfahani or Rubat Ajam. This facility existed till the first Saudi extension.

Asad-ud-Din Shairkoh was the uncle of Salah-ud-Din Ayubi. He bought the southern side of this Rubat in 576H. He and the father of Salah-ud-Din (namely Najm-ud-Din Ayubi) were buried in this piece of land.

The remaining part of this large house was south of the Rubat. That portion was exclusively used for the service personnel of Haram. Later on the scholars of Haram used it for their residence. This part, therefore, was known as Dar Mashaikh Haram.

As mentioned by Mohammad Labeeb Batnuni, Osman (RU) became a martyr in this very southern most part of the large house. Labeeb visited Madina in 1326 A.D. and he found the following writings on top of window of a room in this southern portion.

This is the site where Osman (RU) became a martyr.

1(B) Small House:

This house was adjacent to the large house and was just east of the large house. As seen in the map, Abu Bakr’s (RU) house was north of this small house and a street, known as Baqee Street, ran between them. The murderers of Osman (RU) first got into this small house and made their way to the large house to commit heinous crime.

Later on a travel lodge was built on the small house, which existed till first Saudi extension. At present it is part of the eastern open space of the Mosque

2.Ali (RU), Fatima (RUA) and their house:

Ali (RU) was the cousin of the Prophet (SAS). He was also the son in law of the Prophet (SAS). The Prophet (SAS) brought him up. He accepted Islam when he was only ten years old. He took part in all the battles except battle of Tabuk. The Prophet (SAS) gave him the glad tiding of Paradise. He was the fourth Caliph. He became a martyr on the 17th of Ramadhan by Abdur Rehman bin Muljim Kharji. Ali’s (RU) son, Hasan (RU), led the Salat-ul-Janaza. Kufa was the capital at that time. Hence he was buried there in the Caliph’s residence. The grave of Ali (RU) was unmarked for the fear of disgracing the body by Kharjees.

Fatima (RUA) and her house:

Fatima (RUA) was the youngest daughter of the Prophet (SAS). She was also known as Zahra. She was married to Ali (RU) during 2 Hijrah right after the Battle of Badr. She had three sons Hasan, Hussain and Mohsin. She had also two daughters Umm Kalsum and Zainab. She died six months after the Prophet’s (SAS) demise. Caliph Omar (RU) married Fatima’s daughter, Umm Kalsum.

As mentioned in Musnad Ahmad and narrated by Abdullah bin Abbas (RU), the Prophet (SAS) said, “The headwomen for the people of Paradise will be Maryam, then Fatima, then Khadija and then Asia.”

The house of Ali (RU) and Fatima (RUA) was surrounded by the followings.

1.      On its south was Aisha’s (RU) house.

2.      On its north side was the footpath coming out of Bab Jibreel called Baqee Street.

3.      On its west was Prophet’s Mosque while on its east was hut of Umm Salma (RUA).

When Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) reconstructed the four walls of the Sacred Chamber, the northern portion of Ali’s (RU) house was included in the Sacred Chamber.

In 91 H Omar bin Abdul Aziz (RU) expanded the Mosque and installed twenty doors in it. Door number two happened to be in front of Ali’s (RU) house. Hence this door came to be known as Bab Ali. Later on, the eastern wall of the Mosque was reconstructed and Bab Ali was replaced by a window. This window still exists and is situated on our right side as we exit the Mosque from Bab Jibreel.

Baqee Street:

It ran from Bab Jibreel upto Baqee and was 2½ meter wide. It was used for visiting Baqee. A stone floor was laid down all around the Prophet’s Mosque. This stone floor was also laid down in Baqee street upto the house of Mugheera bin Shuba (RU).

3. Abu Bakr (RU) and his house:

His name was Abdul Kabah. The Prophet (SAS) changed it to Abdullah. He was known as Siddique and Atiq. His father’s name was Osman. He was also known as Abu Quhafa. His ancestors join the family of the Prophet (SAS) at sixth step. He was the first caliph.

Abu Bakr (RU) accepted Islam without any hesitation at the very dawn of Islam. He started preaching it to others and many prominent companions of the Prophet (SAS) accepted Islam through the preaching of Abu Bakr (RU). He supported Islamic movement by every possible way. He very eagerly sacrificed everything for the sake of Islam. Nobody could reach his level of sacrifice. At one time he volunteered all his belongings in the path of Allah. The Prophet (SAS) asked him, “What did you leave at home?” He said, “Names of Allah and his Messenger are enough for my home.” The Prophet (SAS) gave him glad tiding of Paradise.

He participated in all the battles. He died at the age of sixty-three during 13H. He was buried next to the Prophet (SAS) in the Sacred Chamber.

Abu Bakr (RU) had two houses in the vicinity of the Prophet’s Mosque. One was situated east of the Mosque and other on the west side of the Mosque.

Eastern house was opposite to the smaller house of Osman (RU). It was also adjacent to the house of Raita bint Abu Al Abbas. When Raita extended her home she annexed part of the land of Abu Bakr’s (RU) house. These houses did exist till the first Saudi extension. They are now part of the eastern open space of the Prophet’s Mosque.

As mentioned in Tabkat Ibn Saad and narrated by Aisha (RUA), this house was given to Abu Bakr (RU) by the Prophet (SAS). She added that Abu Bakr (RU) was in this house during his last days and died here too.

The western house of Abu Bakr (RU) will be described in the description of houses situated to the west of the Mosque.

4. Mughaeera bin Shuba (RU) and his house:

This famous companion participated in Bait Ridwan and in Bait Yamama as well. He fought with great courage in battles of Yarmook, Qadsia and the battles that took place in Greater Syria. He was gifted with farsightedness and he distinguished himself as a valuable political thinker. He died with plague during 50H.

His house was situated in Baqee street just pass the house of Abu Bakr (RU).

5. House of Raita bint Abu-al-Abbas and her house:

She was daughter of Abu-al-Abbas Safah. She was wife of Mehdi bin Abu Jaafar Mansur, the third Abbasi caliph.

Her house was exactly opposite to Bab-in-Nisa. Hence this door was sometimes called Bab Raita. As mentioned in Vafa-ul-Vafa, Samhoudi (who died in 911 Hijrah) said, “There is a Hanafi School at this site which was built by Syrian people.” Abdul Qaddus Ansari (who died in 1403 Hijrah) wrote, “There is a building on this site called Zawaya-tul-Saman.”

Before the first Saudi extension, which took place during 1372 Hijrah, a building with this name existed on this site. At present this house is included in the open space on the east side of the Mosque.

6. Jubaila bin Amr Ansari (RU) and his house:

Jubaila (RUA) was the brother of Uqba bin Amr (RU). (Aqba bin Amer (RU) took part in the Battle of Badr). Jubaila (RUA) was prominent scholar of Islamic jurisprudence. He took part in the battle of Saffain with Ali (RU). After this Battle he migrated to Egypt. He took part in African battles with Muawiya bin Khadeej during 50 Hijrah.

Jubaila’s house was opposite to the fifth door.

This house witnessed many changes. Raita annexed part of it with her house. The remaining part was owned by Saad bin Khalid bin Omar bin Osman. After him the daughter of great grandchild of Abbas (RU) owned it. Her name was Asma bint Abdullah bint Obeid Ullah bint Abbas. Later on a travel lodge for women pilgrims was built on this site by Kamal-ud-Din Abu Fadl Mohammad bin Qasim. It was removed during the first Saudi extension. During the second Saudi expansion it was included in the covered Mosque.

7. Khalid bin Waleed (RU) and his house:

He belonged to Banu Makhzum branch of Quraish tribe. As a disbeliever he was a commander of Quraish army. He played even greater role as a Muslim commander after accepting Islam. The Prophet (SAS) called him Saif Ullah or the Sword of Allah (SWT). He not only fought against those who reverted back to disbelief but also played an extra ordinary role in battles of Persia, Rome, Damascus and Greater Syria. Martyrdom was, however, not his lot. On his deathbed he said, “I took part in about one hundred battles. No part of my body is without signs of wounds. Alas! I am dying on a bed. I pray that the cowards may not even sleep.”

Khalid bin Waleed’s house was opposite to the sixth door.

Qazi Kamal-ud-Din removed the houses of Khalid bin Waleed (RU) and Amr bin al-As (AS) and built a travel lodge for the male pilgrims. It was known as Rabat Khalid.

Abdul Qaddus Ansari wrote in Asar-ul-Madina that justice department issued an order on the 11th Rabi II of 1111H to change the use of this Rabat. According to this order it was to be used exclusively by the service, security and custodial personnel of the Mosque.

The Rabat was removed during the first Saudi extension to pave the way for a road there. It was, however, included in the covered Mosque during the second Saudi extension. This travel lodge or Rabat was situated opposite to the old Bab Abdul Aziz. Hence this old door was called Bab Khalid.

Hut of the commander:

As mentioned in Vafa-ul-Vafa, Khalid bin Waleed’s (RU) house was so small that he had to bring this matter to the kind notice of the Prophet (SAS). On hearing the complaint, the Prophet (SAS) said to Khalid, “Instead of extending it at ground level try to extend it upward and pray to Allah (SWT) for extension of your house and for the relief from this distress.”

Mohammad Hussain Haikal has given his commentary on the modesty, contentment and small residence of Khalid bin Waleed (RU). Haikal said, “Can someone believe that this dark house with very small accommodation belonged to a very distinguished Muslim commander. His war strategies won the Battle of Muta  and the huge empires of Rome and Persia. He was an open sword of Islam. Did he really live in this house!”

Indeed the companions of the Prophet (SAS) were unique in submission to the will of Allah (SWT) and their characters were matchless.

8. Amr bin al- As (RU) and his house:

He was very intelligent and a man of great understanding. He accepted Islam the same year when Khaiber was conquered. The Prophet (SAS) made him a commander for the Battle of Zat-ul-Salasil against the tribe of Banu Qudaah. Later on he was appointed governor of Amman. He stayed there till the Prophet (SAS) passed away. He was also governor of Syria and Egypt. In fact, he conquered Egypt. He was counted among the very courageous and distinguished persons of the Arab world.

He died during the night of Eid-ul-Fitr of 43 Hijrah. His son Abdullah bin Amr led the Salat-ul-Janaza. He was buried in Muqattam.

His house was in front of the seventh door of the Mosque. As mentioned earlier it was changed into Rabat Khalid. It was also known as Rabat Sabeel.

Manase Street:

On the eastern side of the Prophet’s Mosque, there was a street in front of the seventh door. This street led to a large open field called Manase. Hence this street was called Manase Street.

When there were no lavatories in the homes, the women of Madina used to go to Manase. As mentioned in Muslim, and narrated by Aisha (RUA), “Even the wives of the Prophet (SAS) used to go to Manase for toilet needs.”