IslamicTeachings.org

Sunnats Of Travelling

ummtaalib

1. As far as possible, there should be at least two people together when undertaking any journey. Travelling alone should be avoided. However, in extreme necessity there is no harm. ( Fathul-Baari-Vol- 6,pg. 53)

2. When one has placed one’s foot in the stirrup of one’s conveyance and is about to mount it, one should say ( image058.gif ). (Tirmidhi)

3. After settling down on the conveyance say: (image069.gif) thrice and thereafter recite the following dua:

image070.gif (Muslim , Tirmidhi)
Trans: Glory be to the one who has subjugated this for us whereas we were not able to subjugate it on our own. And we will certainly be returning to our Lord.

4. Thereafter recite the following dua:
image071.gif
image072.gif
(Muslim , Hisne Haseen)
Trans: O Allah make this journey easy for us and shorten  the length of the journey as well. O Allah, You are our companion on this journey and the Protector of our household. O Allah, I seek Your protection from the hardship of travel, from witnessing a terrible sight and from finding an evil condition having befallen my family, wealth and children upon my return.

5. When the need arises to stop along the way, the Sunnat is to move to the side of the road. Do not camp in the middle of the road whereby the paths of others are blocked and they experience inconvenience thereby. (Muslim- Vol.2, pg.144)

6. When ascending any high place one should say image073.gif (Bukhari- pg. 420)

7. When descending to any place, one should say image074.gif (Bukhari)

8. Note:  It is mentioned in Mirqaat that this is a Sunnat of travelling. However, when one is ascending the stairs of his house or Masjid, then he should begin with his right foot and say  image073.gifeven though it is only one stair. At the time of descending, begin with the left leg and recite image074.gifalthough it is only a small decline. There is hope that one will recieve the reward of practising on a Sunnat. Mulla Ali Qari (image007.gif) has mentioned the wisdom in saying image073.gifat the time of ascension, that although apperently we are going higher but O Allah ! we are not high. Highness and greatness are only for you. While descending, a person says image074.gif because we are low and O Allah! You are free from lowness.

9. When the town of one’s destination comes into view, then recite this dua:
image075.gif
Trans:  O Allah, grant us barakah (blessings) from this town. When entering the town recite this dua.
image076.gif
Trans:  O Allah, grant us sustenance of this place. Make us beloved to the people of this place and make the pious people of this place beloved to us.

10. Rasullulah (image002.gif) has mentioned that when the purpose for which one had undertaken the journey has been accomplished, one should return home immediately. It is not advisable to remain on a journey for no reason. (Bukhari-pg.421)

11. When returning after many days from a lengthy journey, and one arrives home when a great portion of the night has passed, then he should not immediately enter his home. Rather it is better to go the next morning. (Mishkaat,  pg.339)

12. If the family is aware of your late arrival and is expecting you, then there is no harm in going home immediately. (Mirkaat- Vol.7,pg.338 )

13. By practising these Sunnats one will recieve the benefits in this world and the Hereafter.

14. It is forbidden to take a dog along on the journey or to keep bells, since Shaytaan follows such a person and the blessings of the journey are lost.(Muslim- Vol.1, pg.202)

15. Upon returning from a journey, it is Sunnat to first go to the Masjid, perform two raakats of Salaah and thereafter enter the home. (Mishkaat)

16. When returning from a journey recite this dua:
image077.gif
(Muslim,Tirmidhi)

Trans:  “We are returning (home) with repentence, utmost humility and praising our Lord.”

Source: Beautiful Sunnah of Beloved Nabi (saw) | Urdu: Pyare Nabi (saw) ki pyari sunnatain

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 1

transport.jpg

1. Before embarking on a journey (i.e. travelling to a place which is 78 km or more) it is sunnah for one to perform two rakaats of salaat (i.e. Salaat -us-safr).

عن المطعم بن المقدام ، قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ما خلف عبد على أهله أفضل من ركعتين يركعهما عندهم حين يريد سفرا.  (مصنف ابن ابي شيبة رقم 4914[1]

Hadhrat Mut’im bin Miqdaam (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “There is no action that a person can leave behind with his family before setting out on a journey which is more virtuous than the two rakaats (Salaatus Safr) he performs by them.

عن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما أنه كان إذا أراد أن يخرج دخل المسجد فصلى (مصنف ابن ابي شيبة رقم 4916) [2]

It is reported that whenever Hadhrat ibn Umar (Radhiallahu Anhuma) intended embarking on a journey, he would first proceed to the Musjid and perform salaah.

2.  One should meet one’s family members and friends before setting out on the journey (e.g. when travelling for Umrah or Hajj).

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ  قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى الله عَلَيه وسَلَّم : إِذَا أَرَادَ أَحَدُكُمْ سَفَرًا فَلْيُسَلِّمْ عَلَى إِخْوَانهِ ، فَإِنَّهُمْ يَزِيدُونَهُ بِدُعَائِهِمْ إِلَى دُعَائِهِ خَيْرًا  (الطبراني في الاوسط رقم 2842)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When any of you intends travelling, then he should meet his Muslim brothers (i.e. family and friends), their Duaas added to his Duaa will only be a means of goodness and blessings for him (during his travel).”

[1] قال الشيخ محمد عوامة: هذا الحديث مرسل او معضل، و اسناده حسن…ثم قال: و من شواهد حديث المطعم من حيث الجملة ما رواه الطبراني في الكبير (10469) عن ابن مسعود رضي الله عنه ان رجلا استأذن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم في تجارة الى البحرين فقال له صل ركعتين ، و اسناده حسن.  

[2] قال الطبراني: لم يرو هذا الحديث عن سهيل إلا يحيى تفرد به عمرو. و قال في مجمع الزوائد: رواه الطبراني في الأوسط وفيه يحيى بن العلاء البجلي وهو ضعيف.  

Ihyaud Deen

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 2

1.      One should inform one’s family members of his destination and place of residence during his journey, so that it will be possible for them to contact him in the case of any emergency.

2.      When leaving the home, one should recite the following Duaa:

بِسمِ اللهِ تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى اللهِ لَا حَولَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللهِ ، اَلَّلهُمَّ إِنِّى أَعُوذُ بِكَ أَن أَضِلَّ أَو أُضَلَّ أَو أَزِلَّ أَو أُزَلَّ أَو أَظْلِمَ أَو أُظْلَمَ أَو أَجْهَلَ أَو يُجْهَلَ عَلَيَّ

In the name of Allah Ta’ala I place my complete reliance and trust in Him. There is no ability to do any good and no power to restrain from any harm or evil except through the grace of Allah Ta’ala. O Allah I seek refuge in You that I be misguided or that I become the victim of somebody else’s misguidance, or that I slip or I be caused to slip (through someone) or that I oppress or I become the victim of someone’s oppression, or I behave in an ignorant manner or I am dealt with by others in an ignorant manner.

عن أنس بن مالك أن النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم قال  إذا خرج الرجل من بيته فقال بسم الله توكلت على الله لا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله. قال  يقال حينئذ هديت وكفيت ووقيت فتتنحى له الشياطين فيقول له شيطان آخر كيف لك برجل قد هدى وكفى ووقى (ابو داود رقم 5097)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When a person leaves his home and recites the following Duaa:

بسم الله توكلت على الله لا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله

At that time an angel proclaims, “You have been guided, your needs have been seen to, and you have been protected.” The Shayateen then distance themselves from him, and another shaytaan says: “How can you gain control over a man who has been guided, whose needs have been fulfilled and who has been protected and granted safety?”

عن أم سلمة قالت ما خرج النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم من بيتى قط إلا رفع طرفه إلى السماء فقال اللهم إنى أعوذ بك أن أضل أو أضل أو أزل أو أزل أو أظلم أو أظلم أو أجهل أو يجهل علىّ. (ابو داود رقم 5096)

It is reported that Hadhrat Umme Salamah (Radhiallahu Anha) said: “Whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) left my home, he would lift his gaze to the sky and recite the following Duaa:

اَلَّلهُمَّ إِنِّى أَعُوذُ بِكَ أَن أَضِلَّ أَو أُضَلَّ أَو أَزِلَّ أَو أُزَلَّ أَو أَظْلِمَ أَو أُظْلَمَ أَو أَجْهَلَ أَو يُجْهَلَ عَلَيَّ

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 3

1.      One should recite the following masnoon du`aa of safr.

1) بِسْمِ اللهِ , اَلحَمْدُ لله سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي سَخَّرَ لَنَا هَذَا وَمَا كُنَّا لَهُ مُقْرِنِينَ  وَإِنَّا إِلَى رَبِّنَا لَمُنْقَلِبُونَ اَلحَمدُ لله , اَلحَمْدُ للهِ , اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ , الله أكبر, الله أكبر, الله أكبر,لا اله الا الله سُبحَانَكَ اَللهُمَّ إِنِّي ظَلَمْتُ نَفسِي فَاغْفِر لِي, فَإِنَّهُ لاَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ

In the name of Allah Ta’ala. All praise be to Allah Ta’ala, Glory be to Allah Ta’ala who has subjugated this animal (or placed this vehicle under our control) though we were (without His help) unable to control it. Surely, to our Sustainer are we to return. All praise be to Allah Ta’ala. All praise be to Allah Ta’ala. All praise be to Allah Ta’ala. Allah Ta’ala is the greatest. Allah Ta’ala is the greatest. Allah Ta’ala is the greatest. There is no deity worthy of worship besides Allah Ta’ala. (O Allah) You are most pure. O Allah, indeed I have oppressed myself so forgive me, for there is none who forgives sins except You.

عن على بن ربيعة قال شهدت عليا رضى الله عنه وأتى بدابة ليركبها فلما وضع رجله فى الركاب قال بسم الله فلما استوى على ظهرها قال الحمد لله ثم قال سبحان الذى سخر لنا هذا وما كنا له مقرنين وإنا إلى ربنا لمنقلبون ثم قال الحمد لله. ثلاث مرات. ثم قال الله أكبر. ثلاث مرات (زاد في رواية لأحمد لا اله الا الله) ثم قال سبحانك إنى ظلمت نفسى فاغفر لى فإنه لا يغفر الذنوب إلا أنت. ثم ضحك فقيل يا أمير المؤمنين من أى شىء ضحكت قال رأيت النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم فعل كما فعلت ثم ضحك فقلت يا رسول الله من أى شىء ضحكت قال « إن ربك يعجب من عبده إذا قال اغفر لى ذنوبى يعلم أنه لا يغفر الذنوب غيرى (ابو داود رقم 2604)

Ali bin Rabee’ah (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) says: “On one occasion I witnessed Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu) when an animal was brought before him to ride upon. When he placed his leg on the stirrup, he recited بسم اللهwhen he sat on the back of the animal he recited الحمد لله and then he recited

سبحان الذى سخر لنا هذا وما كنا له مقرنين وإنا إلى ربنا لمنقلبون

He then recited الحمد لله thriceالله أكبر thrice, (لا اله الا الله once) and recited

سبحانك إنى ظلمت نفسى فاغفر لى فإنه لا يغفر الذنوب إلا أنت

Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu) then smiled. A man who was present asked him: “O Ameerul Mu’mineen, Why did you smile?” He replied: “I saw Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) do exactly what I had done, and he then smiled. I asked: “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), why did you smile?” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) replied: “Certainly Allah Ta’ala loves that his servant asks for forgiveness of sins, and Allah Ta’ala becomes pleased that His servant recognized that only Allah Ta’ala can forgive him.”

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 4

1.      One should recite the following masnoon du`aa of safr.

2)  اَللَّهُمَّ إِنَّا نَسْأَلُكَ فِي سَفَرِنَا هَذَا البِرَّ وَالتَّقْوَى , وَمِن العَمَلِ مَا تَرْضَى , اَللَّهُمَّ هَوِّنْ عَلَينَا سَفَرَنَا هَذَا وَاطْوِ عَنَّا بُعْدَهُ , اَللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ الصَّاحِبُ فِي السَّفَرِ, وَالخَلِيفَةُ فِي الْأَهْلِ , اَللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِن وَعْثَاءِ السَّفَرِ, وَكَآبَةِ المنْظَر, وَسُوءِ المنْقَلَبِ فِي الماَلِ وَالأَهْلِ  وَالوَلَد

O Allah, we ask You to bless us in this journey with the taufeeq of adopting piety, taqwa and fulfilling such actions that are pleasing to You. O Allah, make this journey easy for us and fold the earth for us (so that we cover the distance in a short span of time). O Allah, You be my companion on this journey and remain a guardian over my family (in my absence i.e. I place my family in Your special care). O Allah, I seek Your protection from the difficulties of the journey, and the undesirable circumstances and situations which come before me, and (I seek your protection) from a bad return (i.e. witnessing calamities upon my return) in regard to my belongings, wife and children.    

عن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا استوى على بعيره خارجا إلى سفر كبر ثلاثا ثم قال "سبحان الذي سخر لنا هذا وما كنا له مقرنين وإنا إلى ربنا لمنقلبون اللهم إنا نسألك في سفرنا هذا البر والتقوى ومن العمل ما ترضى اللهم هون علينا سفرنا هذا واطو عنا بعده اللهم أنت الصاحب في السفر والخليفة في الأهل اللهم إني أعوذ بك من وعثاء السفر وكآبة المنظر وسوء المنقلب في المال والأهل وإذا رجع قالهن وزاد فيهن آيبون تائبون عابدون لربنا حامدون. (مسلم رقم 1342)

Hadhrat ibn Umar (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that whenever Rasululullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would sit on his camel about to embark on a journey, he used to recite the takbeer thrice, and then recite the following Duaa:

سبحان الذي سخر لنا هذا وما كنا له مقرنين وإنا إلى ربنا لمنقلبون اللهم إنا نسألك في سفرنا هذا البر والتقوى ومن العمل ما ترضى اللهم هون علينا سفرنا هذا واطو عنا بعده اللهم أنت الصاحب في السفر والخليفة في الأهل اللهم إني أعوذ بك من وعثاء السفر وكآبة المنظر وسوء المنقلب في المال والأهل

Upon returning, he would recite the same Duaa and add the following duaa at the end:

آيبون تائبون عابدون لربنا حامدون

We return (from the journey) and we repent to Allah Ta’ala (for our shortcomings and mistakes), and we engage in the worship of our Lord, and we praise Him. ihyaauddeen.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 5

1. It is preferable for one to begin his journey on a Thursday. Hence if it is possible for one to travel on a Thursday, then one should begin his journey on a Thursday.

عن كعب بن مالك رضي الله عنه قال : لقلما كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يخرج إذا خرج في سفر إلا يوم الخميس   (بخاري رقم 2949)

Hadhrat Ka’b bin Maalik (Radhiallahu Anhu) said: “It was the Mubaarak habit of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) that generally whenever he intended embarking on a journey, he would depart on a Thursday.

عن كعب بن مالك رضي الله عنه أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم خرج يوم الخميس في غزوة تبوك وكان يحب أن يخرج يوم الخميس (بخاري رقم 2950)

Hadhrat Ka’b bin Maalik (Radhiallahu Anhu) said: “Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) departed on Thursday for the battle of Tabuk, and he used to like departing on a Thursday.

2. Ensure that you have sufficient provisions for the journey e.g. petrol, spending money etc.

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما قال: كان أهل اليمن يَحُجون ولا يتزودون، ويقولون: نحن المتوكلون. فأنزل الله تعالى: وَتَزَوَّدُوا فَإِنَّ خَيْرَ الزَّادِ التَّقْوَى (تفسير ابن كثير)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports: “The people of Yemen used to perform Hajj without taking along provisions for the journey. They used to say that we are the “Mutawakkiloon” (Those relying solely on Allah Ta’ala and therefore not in need of taking provisions). Thereafter Allah Ta’ala revealed the verses:

وَتَزَوَّدُوا فَإِنَّ خَيْرَ الزَّادِ التَّقْوَى

And take your provisions (for the journey), and certainly the best provision is taqwa (self restraint).

عن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما قال: إن من كَرَم الرجل طيب زاده في السفر (تفسير ابن كثير)

It is reported that Hadhrat ibn Umar (Radhiallahu Anhuma) said: “It is part of the honour and nobility of a man that he takes along sufficient provisions during his journey. 

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 6

1.  The following Duaa should be recited when bidding someone farewell at the time he is departing on a journey:

اَستَودِعُ اللهَ دِينَكَ وَأَمَانَتَكَ وَخَوَاتِيمَ عَمَلِكَ

I place your deen, your trust (wife, children and subordinates) and your final actions (at the time of death) in the care and trust of Allah Ta’ala

عن سالم أن ابن عمر كان يقول للرجل إذا أراد سفرا ادن مني أودعك كما كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم يودعنا فيقول استودع الله دينك وأمانتك وخواتيم عملك  (ترمذي رقم 3443)

Saalim (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) reports that Hadhrat ibn Umar (Radhiallahu Anhuma) would address a person embarking on a journey saying: “Come close to me, I will bid you farewell in the manner that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would bid us farewell. He would say:

اَستَودِعُ اللهَ دِينَكَ وَأَمَانَتَكَ وَخَوَاتِيمَ عَمَلِكَ

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 7

1. If you are leaving behind your dependants e.g. wife and children etc. then ensure that sufficient arrangements are made for their needs and requirements before leaving.  [1]  

2. While on journey, ensure that you remain in pious company. Remaining in pious company will motivate one towards righteousness.

عن علقمة قال قدمت الشأم فصليت ركعتين ثم قلت اللهم يسر لي جليسا صالحا فأتيت قوما فجلست إليهم فإذا شيخ قد جاء حتى جلس إلى جنبي قلت من هذا قالوا أبو الدرداء فقلت إني دعوت الله أن ييسر لي جليسا صالحا فيسرك لي (البخاري رقم 3287)

Hadhrat Alqamah (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) says: “I proceeded to Syria (on a journey) and I performed two rakaat salaah. I then made Duaa “O Allah, allow me to sit in the company of a pious person.” I then found a group of people and sat by them. After a while, an elderly man entered and sat by my side. I enquired who this person was, and the people told me that this was Hadhrat Abu Dardaa (Radhiallahu Anhu), (the Sahaabi of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)). I then told him, “I made Duaa to Allah Ta’ala to grant me a pious companion, and (Allah Ta’ala answered my Duaa) by allowing me to sit in your company.”

3.  If one is travelling in a group, then one should be polite and respectful in his conduct and if one has sufficient amount of provisions, then one should share his meals and other provisions with his companions.

عن أبي سعيد رضي الله تعالى عنه قال بينما نحن في سفر مع النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذ جاء رجل على راحلة له قال فجعل يصرف بصره يمينا وشمالا فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم من كان معه فضل ظهر فليعد به على من لا ظهر له ومن كان له فضل من زاد فليعد به على من لا زاد له قال فذكر من أصناف المال ما ذكر حتى رأينا أنه لا حق لأحد منا في فضل (مسلم رقم 1728)

Hadhrat Abu Sa’eed (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion they were on a journey with Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). Suddenly a person riding on a conveyance had come before Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). The person was in difficulty and hardship and was looking towards the right and the left in order to see if anyone could assist him in fulfilling his needs. On that occasion Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) exhorted the Sahaabah saying: “Whoever has an extra conveyance should assist the one who does not have any conveyance. The one who has extra provisions with him should assist those who do not have. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) continued mentioning the different types of wealth (which a person should spend in sadaqah). Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encouraged and exhorted the Sahaabah to spend to such an extent that we felt deeply within our hearts that the one who possesses anything more than his needs, he does not have a right to hold back anything (except that he should share it with those who do not have).

[1] (فرض)…(مرة)…(على الفور)… ( على مسلم )… ( حر مكلف ) عالم بفرضيته … ( صحيح ) البدن ( بصير ) غير محبوس وخائف من سلطان يمنع منه ( ذي زاد ) يصح به بدنه فالمعتاد اللحم ونحوه إذا قدر على خبز وجبن لا يعد قادرا ( وراحلة) … ( فضلا عما لا بد منه ) … ( و ) فضلا عن ( نفقة عياله ) ممن تلزمه نفقته لتقدم حق العبد ( إلى ) حين ( عوده ) وقيل بعده بيوم وقيل بشهر ( مع أمن الطريق ) بغلبة السلامة ولو بالرشوة ( الدر المختار 2/455-465)

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 8

1. One should not inconvenience any of his companions in any way during the journey.

المسلم من سلم المسلمون من لسانه و يده  (و في رواية لاحمد: من سلم الناس)  (البخاري رقم 6484)

A perfect Muslim is he who does not inconvenience any person through his tongue or his hand.

2. One should not discuss controversial topics or enter into arguments etc with one’s companions during the journey. 

3. If during the journey any unpleasant or unforeseen circumstance comes about, then one should exercise patience and not lose oneself, thereby causing pain and inconvenience to others.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 9

1.  One should adopt a gentle approach when dealing with one’s companions and engage in light-hearted discussions while on the journey. One should not adopt a serious approach.

2.  Do not undertake a journey unnecessarily. If one has a need then one should undertake the journey, and upon completing one’s need one should hasten to return home.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال السفر قطعة من العذاب يمنع أحدكم طعامه وشرابه ونومه فإذا قضى نهمته فليعجل إلى أهله (بخاري رقم 1804)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Travelling (i.e. its difficulty is like) a portion of the difficulty of the punishment of Jahannum which prevents one from his food, drink and sleep. Thus, when one completes his work he should hasten back to his family.

3.  When travelling, one should guard his gaze and as far as possible, try to avoid sitting next to females. One should avoid speaking to the air-hostesses or any na-mahram.   

قُل لِلمُؤمِنينَ يَغُضّوا مِن أَبصـٰرِهِم وَيَحفَظوا فُروجَهُم ذٰلِكَ أَزكىٰ لَهُم إِنَّ اللَّـهَ خَبيرٌ بِما يَصنَعونَ (سورة النور)

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their chastity, that will be more pure for them: And Allah Ta’ala is fully aware of all that they do.

عن معقل بن يسار رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم لأن يطعن في رأس أحدكم بمخيط من حديد خير له من أن يمس امرأة لا تحل له رواه الطبراني والبيهقي ورجال الطبراني ثقات رجال الصحيح (الترغبي و الترهيب رقم 2938)

Hadhrat Ma’qal bin Yasaar (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “It is better for you that your head be pierced with an iron needle than touching a woman that is impermissible for you.”

4.  Carry a lota (jug) and water for the toilet and wudhu.

5.  Instead of engaging in vain talk or listening to a nazm etc. occupy yourself in zikr andtilaawat of the Qur’aan Shareef.

6.  During the journey, if you are the driver, then ensure that you drive safely. Do not be reckless in your driving.

7.  Keep necessary personal information on yourself, or whatever documents one may require on his journey. (e.g. passport, I.D. etc.)

8.  First find out the route before embarking on the journey.

9.  Keep others comfortable and be of service to them during the journey.

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 10

1.  When entering the town or city, one should one should recite the following Duaa thrice:

اللهم بارك لنا فيه

O Allah, grant us barakah in this place

Thereafter, one should recite the following Duaa:

اَللَّهُمَّ ارْزُقنَا جَنَاهَا وَحَبِّبنَا إِلَى أَهلِهَا وَحَبِّبْ صَالِحِى اَهلِهَا إِلَينَا

O Allah, give us of its produce and make us beloved to its people and make the pious of its people beloved to us.

عن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما قال كنا نسافر مع رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم فإذا رأى القرية يريد ان يدخلها قال اللهم بارك لنا فيها ثلاث مرات اللهم ارزقنا جناها وحببنا إلى أهلها وحبب صالحى اهلها إلينا (المعجم الأوسط للطبراني رقم 4755)

Hadhrat ibn Umar (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that the Sahaabah would travel with Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). When Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) saw a town which he intended entering, he would recite the above-mentioned duaa.

One should also recite the following Duaa:

اَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِن شَرِّ مَا خَلَق

I seek protection through the perfect and beneficial words of Allah Ta’ala (i.e. His names and attributes) from the evil (harm) of His creation.

عن خولة بنت حكيم السلمية أنها سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول إذا نزل أحدكم منزلا فليقل أعوذ بكلمات الله التامات من شر ما خلق فإنه لا يضره شيء حتى يرتحل منه (مسلم رقم 2708)

Hadhrat Khaula (Radhiallahu Anha) reports that she had heard Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) say: “If anyone of you halts at any place, and he recites the following duaa, then no harm will come to him from the time he halts till the time he departs.

اَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِن شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ

2.  When one fears an attack (by an enemy) or fears for one safety, one should recite Surah Quraish.

• 5 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Safr (Travelling) – Part 11

1. Do not mess the toilet area, thus inconveniencing others.

2. When ascending any place, one should recite Takbeer (الله اكبر) , and when descending one should recite Tasbeeh   (سبحان الله).

قال جابر رضي الله عنهما : كنا إذا صعدنا كبرنا , وإذا نزلنا سبحنا (بخاري رقم 2993)

Hadhrat Jaabir (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that the Sahaabah (Radhiallahu Anhum) would recite takbeer while ascending, and recite tasbeeh while descending.

3.  When ascending any high place, one should recite the following Duaa:

اَلَّلهُمَّ لَكَ الشَرَفُ عَلَى كُلِّ شَرَفٍ وَلَكَ الحَمْدُ عَلَى كُلِّ حَال

عن أنس بن مالك رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا علا نشزا من الأرض قال اللهم لك الشرف على كل شرف ولك الحمد على كل حال (مسند أحمد رقم 13504)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would ascend onto a high ground, he would recite the following duaa:

اَلَّلهُمَّ لَكَ الشَرَفُ عَلَى كُلِّ شَرَفٍ وَلَكَ الحَمْدُ عَلَى كُلِّ حَال

4. Be punctual with all your salaah whilst on your journey.

5. Do not lengthen your rakaats on the plane, thereby causing inconvenience to others who are waiting to perform salaah.

6. If you are returning after a long time, do not return unexpectedly without informing the household of the time of arrival.

7. If you are returning late at night then inform the house people of the approximate time of arrival.

عن جابر بن عبد الله قال  نهى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا أطال الرجل الغيبة أن يأتي أهله طروقا  (مسلم رقم 183)

Hadhrat Jaabir (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) prevented one returning from a journey after a long time to make a sudden appearance at night (without informing the family members in advance).

8. Do not accept food or other items from strangers.

9. When travelling in a group, appoint one person as the ameer.

عن أبى سعيد الخدرى رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال إذا خرج ثلاثة فى سفر فليؤمروا أحدهم (ابو داود رقم 2610)

Hadhrat Abu Sa’eed Khudri (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When three people come out on a journey, then they should appoint one of them as the ameer of the journey.

10. If the group has stopped over for some time during the journey then if you have to go for some need or to relieve yourself, then inform your companions before you leave.

11. During one’s journey one should make abundant duaa as the duaa of a traveller is accepted.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ثلاث دعوات مستجابات لا شك فيهن دعوة المظلوم ودعوة المسافر ودعوة الوالد على ولده (الترمذي رقم 1905)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The Duaa of three people are certainly accepted without any doubt. The duaa of an oppressed person, the duaa of a traveller, and the duaa of a father on behalf of his child.”

12.  It is not permissible for a woman to travel the safr distance without a mahram.

عن أبي سعيد الخدري رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم  لا يحل لامرأة تؤمن بالله واليوم الآخر أن تسافر سفرا يكون ثلاثة أيام فصاعدا إلا ومعها أبوها أو ابنها أو زوجها أو أخوها أو ذو محرم منها (مسلم رقم 1340)

Hadhrat Abu Sa’eed Khudri (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “It is not permissible for a woman believing in Allah Ta’ala and the last day to travel a distance of three days or more (i.e. 77km or more) except if she is accompanied by her father, or her son, or her husband, or her brother, or a mahram relative of hers.

13.   Upon returning home, one should proceed to the Musjid first and perform two rakaat of salaah therein.

عن كعب بن مالك رضي الله عنه قال كان (رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم) إذا قدم من سفر بدأ بالمسجد فركع فيه ركعتين (بخاري رقم 4418)

Hadhrat Ka’b bin Maalik (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would return from a journey, he would first proceed to the Musjid and perform two rakaat of salaah.  

14. Upon returning from your journey, recite the following duaa when reaching your destination:

آئبون تائبون عابدون لربنا حامدون

We return (from the journey) and we repent to Allah Ta’ala (for our shortcomings and mistakes), and we engage in the worship of our Lord, and we praise Him.

عن البراء بن عازب رضي الله عنه أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم كان إذا قدم من سفر قال آيبون تائبون عابدون لربنا حامدون (ترمذي رقم 3440)

Hadhrat Baraa’ bin Aazib (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that whenever Rasululullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would return from a journey, he would recite the following duaa:

آئبون تائبون عابدون لربنا حامدون