IslamicTeachings.org

Permissibility To Start Fast In State Of Janabah

ummtaalib

By Ebrahim Saifuddin

ramadan_janabah_fast.jpg

Question: Can we start the fast while in a state of Janabah (sexual impurity) and then perform Ghusl later on?

Answer: It is certainly permissible to start the fast while in the state of Janabah. Ghusl can be performed later on. The permissibility of such is derived from incidents in the life of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ as explained in the ahadith.

"Narated By Abu Bakr bin ‘Abdur-Rahman: My father and I went to ‘Aisha and she said, 'I testify that Allah’s Apostle ﷺ at times used to get up in the morning in a state of Janaba from sexual intercourse, not from a wet dream and then he would fast that day.' Then he went to Um Salama and she also narrated a similar thing." - [bukhari Vol.3, Book 31, #153]

And again:

"‘Aisha reported that a person came to the Apostle of Allah ﷺ asking for a fatwa (religious verdict). She (‘Aisha) had been overhearing it from behind the curtain. ‘Aisha added that he (the person) had said: Messenger of Allah ﷺ, (the time) of prayer overtakes me as I am in a state of junub; should I observe fast (in this state)? Upon this the Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: (At times the time) of prayer overtakes me while I am in a state of junub, and I observe fast (in that very state), whereupon he said: Messenger of Allah ﷺ, you are not like us Allah has pardoned all your sins, the previous ones and the later ones. Upon this he (the Holy Prophet) ﷺ said: By Allah, I hope I am the most God-fearing of you, and possess the best knowledge among you of those (things) against which I should guard." - [Muslim Book 6, #2455]

Although permissible, it is against the best of practices and should be avoided as much as possible. This is why it is stated in Kifayatul Mufti Vol.4 pg 250:

"To eat or drink in a state of Janabah without washing hands and face or without wudhu, whether in or out of Ramadan, is against the best of practices with the condition that there is no impurity on the hands. It is appropriate to do Ghusl before having suhoor or to do wudhu or at least to wash the hands.1"

Source