IslamicTeachings.org

Save Yourself

ummtaalib

Letter by a Muslim Sister

I have a story to tell. So sit back with ease and take heed of what I am about to say. I was once young, full of the vigour of youth, blessed with good looks and a personality to match. Everyday was a new adventure for me. I took no heed from my parents’ advice. I was neglectful of my duties to my Lord.

The world was my oyster. I had no worries. Life was for living! I was carefree. Males desired me, females envied me; life was wonderful.

That was a few years ago. Little did I know that my life would change. Today my life is a very different story. Everyday is a torment for me; life feels like a burden and though I am trying to be dutiful towards my Lord, I feel I am not getting very far. “Why”, I kept asking myself, “is my life like this?” The answer was staring me in the face.

I’d been neglectful towards my Lord. I’d been too intoxicated with lust and desire, committed sins that my Lord had warned against. I was so involved in them that I thought I was doing no wrong. In hindsight I was living in sin from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep.

I am a mother now and when I see the youngsters leaving school today, freely mixing with each other and holding hands, I look at them and think, “You all think it’s so right, but you don’t know how wrong it is.” That is why I thought of writing this letter. If just one of you takes my advice, then my letter is not in vain.

TV, music, magazines all contribute to our desires and actions. I think that it takes a strong and true Believer, someone who truly fears Allah, to walk away from sins especially, zinã (fornication). Let your first touch, your first kiss be with the person you’ll spend eternity with, your husband or wife. Don’t give into a “moment of madness”, a relationship that may not even last a week.

Allah has given us the ability to do many things, but the one thing He has not given us is the chance to turn back time. Had He done so, I would do it in a second and correct so many wrongs. But I can’t have that. My mistakes will be with me for life. You have a chance not to make these mistakes. Don’t make them, watch Him bless your life in both worlds.

Pray for me and for the entire Ummah.

© Islāmic Da‘wah Academy (Da‘wah Series 44)