IslamicTeachings.org

Salaah With Clothing Touched By A Dog

ummtaalib

Q. i`m in the service industry whereby i physically go out on install in peoples homes, the bulk of my clientele are none muslim and thus they have dogs as pets, many a time there dogs jump on me etc, my question is what is the permissibility salaah for me

as i was told that a dog has touched my clothing etc thus salaah cannot be made,

can i were an overall or a garment over my garment  and if the dog touches the overall, at the time of salaah can i remove the overall and wear the clothes beneath the overall  and perform salaah?

please reply asap as my salaah is being affected negatively.

(Query published as received)

A. A dog merely touching you or your clothing does not make the affected area impure. Yes, if the dog's saliva or sweat latches onto you, the soiled area will be impure and it will be necessary to wash this part of the clothing before performing Salaah.

As an alternative you have suggested, you may wear an overall so if it does become soiled with the saliva or sweat of the dog, you may remove it and perform Salaah with your usual clothing that you have under. The clothing you have under will not be impure as long as the saliva of the dog did not penetrate though the overall.

And Allah Knows Best

Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed

Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians

• Like 1