IslamicTeachings.org

Covering The Feet For Women During Prayer

ummtaalib

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat

Question:

Assalamualikum, I hope you are well Insha Allah.

I wanted to ask you regarding the awrah (portion of the body that is to be covered) of a woman during prayer.

Majority of the scholars share the consensus of covering the feet for women, some are okay with not being covered. Can you please clarify?

Answer:

Wa Alaikumus Salam

During prayer, according to most scholars of the Hanafi school, the apparent portions of the feet (for women) are not considered from the awrah (nudeness), hence the salah (prayer) performed while having the apparent portions of the feet not covered, would be considered valid. (Al Hidayah, I’ilaa Al Sunan)

The Shafie, Hanbali and Maliki schools include the feet of women in the awrah (nudeness). Therefore the followers of this opinion are to ensure feet are covered appropriately during prayer for it’s validity. (Kitaab Al Fiqh Ala Madhahib Al Arba'a)

The prayer of a menstruating woman is only accepted with the (appropriate) veil” (Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi)

… and they must not expose their adornment, except that which appears thereof” (Holy Quran 24:31)

And Allah Knows Best

http://www.mathabah.org/20110705579/general-prayer-salah/covering-the-feet-for-women-during-prayer.html

Wa'alaykumus salaam ww

Found two fatwas: one says the feet need not be covered (The questioner has mentioned applying mendhi on the hands and feet) and the other says "Hands and feet will be included in covering if there is a risk of fitna"

Hanafi Fiqh > Askimam.org

Question

Assalaamualaikum, mufti saheb, i would like to know what’s the hukm of an unmarried girl puttin mehendi in her hands and legs, and if she does putting it, then is it necessary for her to cover her hands and legs if she goes out of her house, where ghair mahram men can see her? Please help me with this mas’ala, jazaakumullah, wassalaam

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

It is permissible for an unmarried girl to apply mehndi or her hands and feet. The hands and feet are exempt from the laws of hijab and purdah.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Question

Asslamu alaikum,

Is it wajib for a lady to cover her hands and feet from ghair mahram?

Jazakallah

Answer

Hands are up to the wrists and feet are up to the ankles. These days many ladies wear burkha with loose sleeves, so that when they raise their hands, the whole arm becomes visible. This is contrary/contradictory to the instructions of hijab. This could be because of beauty, due to being alone with a non-mahram, etc. Hands and feet will be included in covering if there is a risk of fitna. If there is no risk, then leaving them open will be allowed (Shaami, vol. 6, p. 369).

http://www.tafseer-raheemi.com/q-wajib-for-women-to-cover-hands-and-feet-from-ghair-mahrams/