IslamicTeachings.org

Riyaa (Showing Off)

ummtaalib

Riyaa' is when one intends to gain the people's pleasure when drawing close to Allah Tala. It is action of the heart and not the action of the tongue.

For example: One can draw closer to Allah Tala in worships ('Ibadaat) or many other things. So the one who prolongs his prostration so that people can see him is showing off.

The one who writes an article so that people say he is a scholar is showing off.

The one who gives a lecture to impress the people is showing off.

The one who gives a khutbah so people say he is a good khateeb is showing off.

The one who wears rags so people say he is simple is showing off.

The one who grows a beard and wears jalbiyya so people say he is following sunah is showing off.

The one who walks with head down so people think he is pious is showing off.

The one who carries a small copy of the Quran and reads it in public to show people is showing off.

We live in a reality where there is no shame in showing off, rather the great majority of Muslims are naive and unaware of its reality and rules. Riyaa is not discovered by anyone except Allah Tala, even the one who is doing it at times is not aware of it unless he enjoys Khalis Ikhlaas.Riyaa (showing off) is absolutly forbidden.

Ibn Majah and al-Bayhaqi reported wiht a hasan isnad on the authority of abu Saeed al-khudri that Prophet (saw) said when he saw them talking about the Maseeha ad-dajjal, he said:

"shall I not inform you what i I fear of you more than the Maseeh ud-Dajjal? we said: Yes, Oh Messanger of Allah! he said: It is the hidden Shirk, which is when a man stands up for prayer, then beautifies his prayer for because of another man is looking (at him)."

in Another hadith the prophet (saw) said:

" A little showing off (riyaa') is shirk."

The Riyaa of shirk invalidates the action .

Ahmed reported on the authority of Ubay b. Ka'ab with a hasan Isnad tha the prophet (saw) said:

"Give good tidings to this ummah of splendor, high ranks, victory and strengthening. Whoever of them worked the deeds of Akhirah
for the sake of the world
, he
would not have any share/reward in the akhirah."

Riyaa` is shirk, Allah Tala will ignore the action done out of Riyaa' to the one who associates partners with Allah Tala (shirk), he Allah Tala on the day of judgement will ask the one who does Riyaa, ask for Riyaa from the Shareek (partner one associated with Allah) ie the one for whom the action was done to please other than Allah Tala.

Trick of Shaytan with Riya to lessen our Ibadah

In between our effort to avoid riya(show off) beware of the Devils whispers! For Example: In between the prayer the Shaytan will try to convince us to shorten the prayer, misguiding us with the reason of Riya. Also when we are about to post a good article, the Shaytan will wishper 'Dont do it people might think you are a show off'. Do not leave an Ibadah inorder to avoid Riya, but instead do more of it, just be sincere and keep in mind that we do it ONLY to please Allah ta'ala.

So we have to be careful of both things:

Avoid riya(show off)

Do not avoid doing good deed for the fear of Riya.

Riya is a double edged sword indeed.

There is a technique to avoid riya ,which i have heard from an imam, to avoid both of it in one go. Whenever you are in situation when you have to do Ibadat(like salath or giving zakat) while there are people around you, just go ahead and do it while considering that you are surrounded by camels instead of people. In that way we can avoid Riya(showing off) and also will we be saved from decreasing the good deeds in the fear of showing off. The trick is not to care about what others think about your Imaan or good deeds. All that matters is what Allah (swt) thinks of us.

Dua against riya.

'AbAbu 'Ali, a man from Banu Kaalil, said, "Abu Moosa al-Ash'ari addressed us and said, "O people! Fear this shirk as it is more hidden than a crawling ant."

'Abdullah ibn Hazm and Qays bin al-Madaarib both stood and said, "By Allah! You should clarify what you have said, otherwise we shall bring 'Umar with authority on our behalf or without it".

He then said, "Rather I will explain to you what I said. Allaah's Messenger (saw) addressed us one day and said,

"O People! Fear this shirk as it is more hidden than a crawling ant."
Then someone whom Allaah had willed to speak said:
"

And how shall we save ourselves from it when it is more hidden than a crawling ant, O Messenger of Allaah?"

He said, "Say
"Allahumma inni a`udhu bika an ushrika bika wa ana a`lamu wa astaghfiruka lima la a`lamu"

[O Allah I seek refuge in You from knowingly associating partners with You, and I seek Your forgiveness for that which I do not know]

086-194.gif

source: sunniforum.com