IslamicTeachings.org

His Noble Charachter

Allah subhaanahu wata’ala has blessed man with the external form which is the physical body as well as the internal or inner spiritual form. When beauty is inculcated in the internal dimension of man he/she will attain honour. This internal character forms one of the most important aspects of one’s Deen. Our beloved Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam said,

“A Muslim, by virtue of his excellent character, is elevated to the ranks of one who throughout his life, spend the entire night in worship and fasts during the day.” (Abu Daawood)

For us there can be no better example than the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam since he was sent as a guide and an example to the entire world. Allah subhaanau wata’ala says,

“Indeed, in Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam is a beautiful example for you” (Ahzaab: 21 )

The following articles have been compiled from:

The Noble Akhlaaq of Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasalla – by Mawlana A.S. Chohan

HIS HUMBLENESS

Visiting the poor and the sick, helping the needy and the destitute, attending the funeral prayers etc were some of his habits. He did not feel he was above accepting the invitation of a slave or riding a donkey. He sat among his friends as if he was an ordinary person and one of them. ‘Aisha said that he used to repair his shoes, sew or mend his clothes and do what ordinary men did in their homes.

Anas ibn Malik (May Allah be pleased with him) relates, “Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam would visit the sick, attend the Janaza Salaat (funeral prayers), ride on a donkey, and accept the invitation of a slave. During the campaign of the Banu Quraiza he rode a donkey with a rein and saddle of palm fibres” (Shamaaile Tirmidhi)

Despite his being the most honoured and virtuous creation of Allah ta’ala he did not find it to be below his dignity to visit the sick and despite this fact he did not show any disparagement in riding a donkey even though it was regarded as an inferior mode of conveyance to a horse.

Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) relates, “ Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam accepted invitations in which bread made of barley and stale fat was served.”

Note that fat smells when it becomes stale and the nature of the food to be served can be ascertained by the host’s status yet knowing the menu did not deter him from accepting the invitation

HIS FEAR, OBEDIENCE & WORSHIP OF Allah

In reality, every movement and stillness of Rasulullah salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam is an act of worship. Both his speech and silence are remembrance of Allah Ta’ala.

Hadhrat Abu Dharr radhiyallaahu ‘anhu relates that Rasulullah[salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam said,

“By Allah, if you know what I know you will laugh less and cry more and you would not derive pleasure from your wives. You will emerge onto the streets supplicating to Allah, “Verily I desire to be a tree that has been cut down."

NOTE:

Allah Ta’ala says in the Qur’aan,

“Let then laugh a little, and much will they weep.” [9:82]

Commenting on this ayah, ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ood radhiyallahu ‘anhu has stated, “This world is but a few days, let them laugh as much as they desire. When the world comes to an end and they appear in the presence of Allah Ta’ala they shall begin to cry endlessly.”

‘Abdullah ibn Shikheer radhiyallahu ‘anhu relates, “I went to Rasulullah salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam while he was performing Salaah. The sound like that of a boiling pot emitted from his chest because of his weeping.”

Ataa ibn Abi Rabah radhiyallahu ‘anhu relates, “I once asked 'Aisha radhiyallahu ‘anhaa to inform me about the most admirable action of Rasulullaah salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. She replied, “Which action of Rasulullaah salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam was not admirable? One evening Rasulullah salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam returned home and shared my sheet. A little while later he said, “Give me permission so that I may worship my Creator.” Rasulullah salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam stood up, performed Wudhu and engaged himself in Salaah. He began weeping (in Qiyaam] until the tears flowed onto his Mubarak chest. He performed Ruku and then Sajda while the tears continued to flow. He stood up for the second Rakaah still weeping. He persisted in this condition all night till Bilal called him for the Fajr Salaah.”

Rasulullaah salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam wept because of MUHABBAH [profound love] for Allah Ta’ala. On certain occasions Rasulullah salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam wept out of benevolence for the deceased or out of anxiety for his Ummah.

Ibn Abi Halah relates, “Rasulullah salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam was perpetually grieved and in persistent contemplation. Leisure was not his lot.”

NOTE:

Rasulullah’s salallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam grief, anxiety and apprehension pertained to Deen, the Hereafter, and the condition of the Ummah and not to this material world

HIS FORBEARANCE & TOLERANCE

During the Battle of Uhud, the disbelievers made a ferocious attack on the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam and his tooth was broken and his cheek and forehead were injured. This distressed his Companions. They said, “Why do you not curse them, O Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam? He replied, “I have not been sent as a curser but as a guide and a mercy.” He then submitted, “O Allah, forgive my people for they do not know.”

He did not invoke curses upon them but rather he sought Allah’s forgiveness on their behalf. His compassion is further exposed by the fact that he referred to them as “My people” and he offered an excuse in the Grand Court of Allah that they were ignorant.

Anas radhiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “Once we were with Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. He wore a sheet with a course edge. A bedouin pulled the sheet so viciously that it wrinkled the surface of his shoulder and said, “O Muhammad, load for me goods on these two camels from the goods of Allah and not from your or your father’s possession.” The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam remained silent. After a while he said, “You will be requited, O bedouin, for what you have done to me.” The bedouin replied, “No, you do not retaliate evil with evil.” At this our Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam smiled and directed that one camel be loaded with barley and the other with dates.”

‘Aa’isha radhiyallahu ‘anhaa relates, “I have not witnessed Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam retaliating any injustice caused to him so long as it did not concern the sacred laws of Allah Ta’ala. He did not strike anything with his blessed hand except while waging Jihad in the path of Allah nor did he lift his hand on any slave or woman.”

‘Aa’isha[radhiyallaahu ‘anhaa said, “Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam did not take revenge against anyone in matters regarding himself. However when the sacred laws of Allah were being violated, he would retaliate only for the pleasure of Allah and in consideration of His laws.”

Rasulullaah sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam said:

“I have been subjected to harm (and suffering) in the cause of Allah, as no one else had been.”

The brutal tortures and relentless persecutions reached such levels that the pathway of Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam was secretly laden with thorns, refuse and the intestines of animals was flung at him. He and his group of devout companions were denied a home, denied food, water and medicine for three years. The cry of infants and children echoed through the valleys of Arabia

HIS HUMOUR

Our beloved Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam enjoyed humour. On some occasions he himself would make humorous remarks however, even in humour, he always spoke the truth. He smiled often but it was not his habit to laugh out loud. His Companions followed his example and refrained from bursting into laughter in an amusing situation. His remarks cheered the audience but never made the meeting a place of fun and frolic. His assembly always remained a place of learning, understanding and spiritual fulfilment.

A wonderful example of this is the amusing episode of Zaahir, a bedoin tribsman. He was a close companion of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. Once, while he was selling his wares in the market of Madinah, Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam passed by. He saw Zaahir so absorbed in his work that he was unaware of his surroundings. Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam sneaked up from behind and hoisted him aloft.

“Who is it?” cried Zaahir, twisting and turning in the strong grasp, in vain to see who it was that held him. Then he heard Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam shout, “Here is a young boy for sale! A young boy for sale! Who wants him?” At this, Zaahir laughed and replied, “O Rasulullaah, whoever buys a slave like me will end up a loser!”

HIS RENUNCIATION OF THE WORLD

Rasulullaah’s sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam renunciation and rejection of the world was not in any way imposed upon him in that he had no option. In reality it was by choice. The following Ahadith indicate that Allah Ta’ala had offered Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam all the wealth one may desire yet the master of both the worlds sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam preferred to remain without it to the extent that Anas radhiyallaahu ‘anhu states, “Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam departed from this world while his armour remained pawned by a Jew and he did not possess sufficient wealth to release it.”

Abu Umamah radhiyallaahu ‘anhu relates that Rasulullaah sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam said, “I swear by that Divine Personality in whose control is my life, if I desired, the mountains of Madinah would have turned into gold and followed me. But I do not like being so wealthy.”

Ibn Abbas radhiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “The Quraish said to Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam, “Beseech your Lord to turn Mount Safa into gold for us. Should it become gold we will follow you. Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam submitted to Allah. Jibraeel appeared saying, “Allah conveys Salaam to you and said, “If you so desire, Mount Safa will turn into gold then I will punish those who commit Kufr [thereafter] with a penalty as I have not inflicted on any one among all the people; and if you desire I will open for them the doors of repentance and Mercy.” Rasullullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam replied, “Nay, I desire the doors of repentance and mercy.”

‘Aa’isha radhiyallaahu ‘anhaa relates, “Never did Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam eat to his fill and never did he complain of his starvation. He loved destitution more than affluence. On certain occasions hunger would ward away his sleep yet this would not prevent him from fasting the following day. If Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam desired he could have asked Allah Ta’ala for all the treasures and fruit of this world and all the comforts of life this world has to offer. I would cry when I would see him in this condition and I would rub my hand on his stomach because of the pangs of his hunger. I would say “May I be sacrificed for you, if only you would accept that much that would give you strength.” He would reply, "O ‘Aa’isha, what relationship do I have with the world? My brothers of the resolute Messengers persevered in more severe conditions than this; they departed from this world in that condition and appeared in the presence of Allah Ta’ala. Allah Ta’ala honoured them and increased their reward manifold. I find myself bashful to desire affluence and become inferior to them tomorrow [in the Hereafter]. There is nothing more beloved to me than meeting my brothers and bosom friends

HIS GENORISTY & CHARITY

Jaabir radhiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayh wasallam did not refuse anything for which he was asked.”

NOTE:

Commenting on the above Hadith, Hafidh Ibn Hajar rahmatullaahi ‘alayhi states, “Whenever a person would ask Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam for something which he possessed, he would immediately hand it over, if he was not in possession of anything he would not explicitly refuse, he would either remain silent or offer an excuse in polite words or make Du’a for the one who asks.”

Anas radiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “A person once asked Rasulullah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam for the number of goats that will fill a valley between two mountains. Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam gave him that many goats. The person returned to his people and said, “O my people, accept Islam, by Allah, Muhammad gives so much that he does not fear poverty.”

Hasan radiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “A beggar came to Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam said, “Sit down, Allah will grant something.” A little while later a second and thereafter a third beggar came. Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam]seated the three of them. At that instance a person came and presented Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam with four Awqiya of silver. He distributed three among the three beggars and announced regarding the fourth, but nobody came forward to receive it. At night Nabie sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam kept it at his head side. ‘Aa’isha radiyallaahu ‘anhaa noticed that Nabie sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam could not sleep. He would get up, perform Salaah and lie down. She inquired, “Is something disturbing you O Rasool of Allah ?" He replied, “No.” She then inquired, “Then is there any command of Allah that has been revealed which causes you concern.” He replied “No.” She once again asked, “Then why do you not rest?” Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam removed the piece of silver and said, “This is the cause of my restlessness. I fear that this remains while death comes to me.

HIS BRAVERY & COURAGE

Anas said: "One night the people of Madinah felt alarmed. People went out hurriedly

towards the source of sound, but the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam had already gone ahead of

them. He was on the horseback of Abu Talhah which had no saddle over it, and a

sword was slung round his neck, and said to them: ‘There was nothing to be afraid

for.’” (Bukhari)

‘ Ali’s radiyallaahu ‘anhu courage and bravery is well known. He relates, “When the battle would become furious and the eyes of the warriors become red [out of anger] we would take shelter behind Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. None would be closer to the enemy than him.”

In the Battle of Hunayn part of the enemy, known for their archery, took up their positions in the hills surrounding the valley through which the Muslims passed. As they advanced, the Muslims were met with showers of arrows from all sides while the main portion of the enemy attacked them from the front. The new converts to Islam could not resist the fierce attack of the enemy. They retreated, causing untold confusion on the battle field.

Regarding this incident a person asked Bara ibn Aazib, “Did you people retreat leaving Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam?” He replied, “Yes, but Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam did not retreat. I saw him on his white mule. Abu Sufyaan was holding its reins and Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam was saying, “I am a Nabi not an imposter [in another narration], I am the son of Abdul Muttalib.”

Hadhrat Abbas [radhiyallahu anhu] describes the above in the following words, “The Muslims retreated, but Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam raced his mule forward towards the Kuffar while I held its reins and Abu Sufyaan its stirrups.

HIS TRUST AND RELIANCE IN ALLAH

Hadhrat Anas radiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam did not store anything for the next day.”

NOTE:

Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam fed people with whatever he possessed until all his possessions were exhausted. He did not keep back anything in anticipation that he would need it the next day.

‘Umar radiyallaahu ‘anhu relates, “Once a destitute person approached Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam to fulfil his need. Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam replied, “I do not possess anything at present. Go and purchase something on my behalf and when I receive goods I will repay the debt.” ‘Umar radiyallaahu ‘anhu remarked, “You have already given away whatever you possessed. Allah Ta’ala has not imposed upon you that which is beyond your means.” Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam became annoyed with ‘Umar’s statement. Thereupon a person from the Ansaar said, “O Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam, spend whatever you wish, and do not fear any abatement from the Lord of the Throne.” Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam smiled and happiness could be seen on his face because of the Ansari’s statement. Thereafter he said, “I have been commanded to do this.”

Bilal [radiyallaahu ‘anhu]was once asked, “How did Rasulullaah spend in charity?” He replied, “Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam did not hold back anything, till the end I was responsible for the distribution of his alms. It was his noble habit that when a person accepted Islam and he was unclothed, Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam would command me to clothe him. I would obtain a loan to purchase clothing and food for that person.

Once a polytheist came to me and said, “I have a lot of wealth, loan whatever you need from me.” I began taking loans from him. Once after performing Wudhu and preparing to call out the Adhaan, I saw that polytheist approaching with a few merchants. Upon seeing me he said, “O Habshi.” I replied, “Here I am, at your service.” He became abusive and cynically asked, “How many days are left for the end of the month?” I replied, “The month has nearly come to an end.” He responded, “Four days remain. If you do not repay your loans by then, I will enslave you in lieu of the debt. You will graze sheep as you had done before.” Bilal continued, “What would become of a person as a result of such threats. I was overtaken by his statement.” That evening, after Isha, I came to Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam and narrated the entire incident to him. Thereafter I said, “There is no way of paying this debt in such a short time, neither of us have any possessions. I will go into hiding. Once the debt is repaid I will come out, otherwise that polytheist will disgrace me.”

Before Fajr a person came running to me and informed me that Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam has called for me. On entering, Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam said, “Allah Ta’ala has made a means for the repayment of your debt. These four camels, laden with gifts, have been sent by the ruler of Fadak.

I repaid the debt in full that morning and informed Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam that Allah Ta’ala has freed him from debts. Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam inquired, “Is there anything left over from the gifts.” I replied, “Yes, a little.” Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam responded, “Distribute it so that I may be at ease.” That evening there remained a little yet to be distributed. After Isha, Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam once again inquired about the distribution to which I replied, “Still a little remains as the needy has not yet arrived.” Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam spent the night in the Masjid without going home. The following day, after Isha, Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam once again inquired, whereupon I replied, “Allah Ta’ala has freed you of its responsibility all the goods has been distributed. Thereupon Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam thanked Allah Ta’ala and went home

HIS JUSTICE AND IMPARTIALITY

Allah Ta’ala says in the Qur’aan;

“We have sent down to you The Book [The Qur’aan] in truth that you may judge between men as guided by Allah.”

In another Ayah, Allah Ta’ala says,

“Then by the oath of your lord, they are not believers until they make you judge in all disputes between them, thereafter they find no resistance in their souls against your decision and they accept them with the fullest conviction.”

Justice and impartiality were qualities attached to Nabi sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam and recognised by his most vicious enemies.

Rabee’ ibn Khuthaim relates, “Even prior to Nubuwat people would approach Nabi sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam with their disputes for him to adjudicate.”

Five years prior to Nubuwat, the Quraish decided to reconstruct the Ka’ba. When they were faced with the decision of who would have the honour to replace the Hajre Aswad they disputed till they reached the point of bloodshed. Eventually after several days Abu Umayyah ibn Mugheerah suggested that the first person to enter the Masjidul Haraam the following day should be selected as a judge. All parties agreed. The following morning all of them eagerly assembled at the Haram to find that Muhammad Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam was the first to arrive. They exclaimed with delight and pleasure, “This is Muhammad the Trustworthy, we are pleased with his verdict.”

Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam found a peaceful solution. He asked for a sheet on which he placed the Black Stone and asked the chief of each tribe to hold the sheet and raise it to the correct height. Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam himself placed the stone in its place.

Hind Ibn Abu Haalah relates, “The whole creation was equal to him as far as rights were concerned.”

‘Aa’isha radiyallaahu ‘anhaa relates, “The Quraish were grieved by a woman named Fatimah who was implicated for theft. They decided on a person who would intercede on her behalf to Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. They decided that none besides Usamah ibn Zaid who was the beloved of Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam had the courage to intercede. Hence Usamah spoke to Rasulullaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam. He responded, “Do you intercede regarding the HUDOOD [shar’ee punishment].” Thereafter Nabi sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam stood up and delivered a sermon in which he said, “Certainly those before you were destroyed because when the noble among them would steal they would redeem them and when the weak would steal they would implement the Shar’ee punishment. By Allah, if Fatimah bint Muhammad [my daughter] would steal I would cut off her hand.”

CONCLUSION

The beautiful Akhlaaq of our beloved Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam is the most perfect example for all of mankind as nowhere can such an example be found. He was ornamented with peerless attributes of perfection. No wonder to be like that for he was brought up, educated and taught (the Qur’an) by Allah. Those who knew him were fascinated and enchanted by him. They were ready to sacrifice their lives for the sake of saving a nail of his from hurt or injury.