IslamicTeachings.org

A Thought Provoking Incident

SAFAH

Bismillah.

A Thought Provoking Incident

Hadhrat Jibreel (A.S) related to Rasulullaah (sallAllaahu-alaihi wasallam) the incident of a person who lived on an island and worshipped Allaah for five hundred years. The island was surrounded by salty water, but Allaah caused a small spring of sweet water to flow near him, from which he drank. Allaah also caused a pomegranate tree to grow for him to eat from.

Daily he ate from the tree, drank from the water and made wudhu therewith. Allaah even accepted his du’a to die while prostrating. Hadhrat Jibreel (A.S) told Rasulullaah (sallAllaahu-alaihi-wasallam) that whenever they ascended and descended from the heavens they found him in prostration before Allaah.

Allaah will then instruct the angels to take this person to Jahannam. As they proceed, he will say, “Oh Allaah! Enter me into Jannah by Your mercy.” Allaah will then command the angels to bring him back. When they again present him before Allaah, Allaah will ask him the following questions:

Question: Who created you?

Reply: Oh Allaah! You did.

Question: Was this (creation) due to your actions or due to My mercy?

Reply: Due to Your mercy.

Question: Who granted you the guidance and the ability to engage worship for five hundred years?

Question: Who took you to the island in the centre of the ocean? Who caused a spring of sweet water to flow amidst the salty water of the ocean? Who caused the pomegranate tree to grow? Who acceded to your request and allowed your soul to leave your body while you were prostrating?

Allaah will then tell him, “All of this was on account of My mercy, and I shall admit you into Jannah by My mercy as well.”

(SubhanAllahi Wabihamdihi SubhanAllahil Adheem)

[From the kitab: "Admonition for the Neglectful" [Part 1] by Faqih Abu Lais Samarqandi (A.R.). Translation edited by: Mufti A.H. Elias]