IslamicTeachings.org

Make the Most of the Last Ten Days

SAFAH

Bismillah

Make the Most of the Last Ten Days

Greater Than a Thousand Months

"Most certainly We have revealed it in the Night of Power; And what will inform you what is the Night of Power? The Night of Power is greater than a thousand months; The angels and Jibraeel (alayhis salaam) descend in it with the permission of your Lord with all decrees; Peace prevails till the rising of dawn." (Surah Qadr)

The Night of Power is indeed unique in every sense. Most befittingly it has been afforded exclusively to the Ummat of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), which is in itself unique from all previous Ummats (nations). The magnanimous rewards and benefits of this auspicious night also dictate that its occurrence remains partially disclosed. Allah Ta’ala alone knows the true date of Laylatul Qadr and those wanting to earn this night have to vigilantly search for it in the odd nights of the last ten nights of Ramadaan.

The person who finds this night and observes it appropriately earns himself a great fortune, a fortune that will only be realised and appreciated in the hereafter. It has been the practice of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam), the Sahaba (radiyallahu anhum), Mashaikh, Ulama and generations of Muslims too observe I’tikaaf (seclusion) in the Masjid during the last ten days of Ramadaan in search of this auspicious night.

Ubada bin Saamit (radiyallahu anhu) reports that he asked Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) about "Laylatul Qadr". Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) replied: "It is in Ramadaan, during the last ten days, on the unevenly numbered nights, either the 21st 23rd, 25th, 27th, 29th or the last night of Ramadaan. Whosoever stands in 'Ibadah' (worship) on this night, with sincere faith and conviction of gaining reward, his previous sins will be forgiven. Among the signs of this night is that it is a serene, quiet, shining night, neither hot, nor cold but temperate as if a moon is shining clear, and no meteors are shot at the 'Shayateen' on that night; it lasts until the break of dawn. Another sign is that in the morning, the sun rises without any radiant beams of light, appearing rather like the moon in its fullness. On that day, Allah Ta’ala prohibits the 'Shayateen' from rising up with the sun." (Fazaail A’maal)

May Allah Ta’ala grant us all this auspicious night.

I'tikaaf in the Last Ten Days of Ramadan

The observation of I’tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadaan was a practice which Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) observed assiduously throughout his life in Madinah Munawwarah. The devotion that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) attached to this beautiful Sunnah can be understood by the fact that on one occasion when he was unable to observe I’tikaaf, due to being out on an expedition, he observed twenty days I’tikaaf the following year.

The spiritual benefits that are attained from this wonderful Sunnah are innumerable. Who can possibly describe the spiritual ecstasy experienced from communicating in solitude with Allah Ta’ala, while one is a guest in the Masjid with the Malaaikah (angels) as his companions.

Undisturbed seclusion in the Masjid is indeed an excellent way to exclusively engage oneself in personal communication with Allah Ta’ala. Away from the comfort of the home, family members and daily work routine, I’tikaaf enhances one’s proximity to Allah Ta’ala and secures the internal and external purification of the Mu’takif .

Remember! Such precious moments come but once a year - and who can guarantee being present for the next Ramadaan.

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Abbas (radiyallahu anhuma ) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said; "Whosoever performs I’tikaaf for a day thereby seeking the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala, Allah Ta’ala will open three trenches between him and the fire of hell, the width of each (trench) being the distance between the heaven and the earth." (Tabraani)

The Ulama, considering the importance attached by Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) to this noble practice, have ruled it necessary that this Sunnah be observed by at least one member of every locality. Failure to do so will result in the entire locality being guilty of neglecting this great Sunnah.