IslamicTeachings.org

The Exemplary Conduct of Hujjat al-Islam Mawlana Qasim Nanotwi (rahimahullah) with His Adversaries

The Exemplary Conduct of Hujjat al-Islam Mawlana Qasim Nanotwi (rahimahullah) with His Adversaries

'I heard an incident regarding Hadhrat Mawlana Muhammad Qasim Nanotwi (may Allah have mercy on him) during his stay in Delhi. A few of his close students, such as Hadhrat Shaykh al-Hind Mawlana Mahmud al-Hasan (may Allah have mercy on him) and Mawlana Ahmad Hasan Amrohi (may Allah have mercy on him), were amongst his attendants. Haji Amir Shah Khan (may Allah have mercy on him) was also present.

'Mawlana Ahmad Hasan said to his companions, “The imam of the Lal Kunwa Masjid has a beautiful voice. Let’s read fajr behind him tomorrow.” Shaykh al-Hind became very angry, saying: “Do you not feel ashamed? How shameless! He calls our Hadhrat a disbeliever and we should go pray behind him?” He spoke very harshly. 
News of this conversation reached Hadhrat Nanotwi (may Allah have mercy on him).

'The next day, Hadhrat Nanotwi (may Allah have mercy on him) took all his students to the very same masjid and performed salah behind that imam. After salah, people began asking them who they were, as they did not recognise them but noticed that they looked like scholars. The people realised this is Mawlana Muhammad Qasim and these are his students, Shaykh al-Hind Mawlana Mahmud al-Hasan and Mawlana Ahmad Hasan Muhaddith Amrohi.
The imam was totally taken aback by this, thinking to himself that I call him a disbeliever all the time but here he is performing salah behind me.

'The imam came forward, shook hands with Hadhrat and said, “I used to call you a disbeliever, but I feel ashamed today. You came to perform salah behind me, even though I have been calling you a disbeliever.” Hadhrat (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “Don’t worry. I appreciate this zeal of yours. In fact, my respect for you has increased. Why? Because the report that reached you was that I disrespect the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam), and so this is what your sense of honour demanded. However, I do have a complaint, and that is you should have verified this report. Whatever the case, the basis of declaring someone a disbeliever is disrespect of Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam). Any Muslim who disrespects Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) must be declared a disbeliever and will be out of the fold of Islam. I appreciate your sense of honour based on your iman (faith), but I am complaining that you should have at least researched to see if the report is true or not. I have come to tell you it is not true. I myself consider a person who disrespects the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) to the slightest degree out of the fold of Islam. If you do not believe me, I am willing to accept Islam at your hands at this very moment. I testify there is no god but Allah…” On seeing this, the imam fell at Hadhrat’s feet and adopted extreme humility.

'In essence, these people’s hearts were so filled with humility before Allah and respect for Him that there was no trace of egoism. Let alone mocking and ridiculing, they did not even condemn their opponents. In fact, they made an excuse for them by saying this is a sign of strong faith on the part of those who declared us disbelievers. However, they should have investigated whether we actually disrespect Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam), and whether we are – may Allah forbid – enemies of the Messenger or his friends. Investigating this properly was incumbent on them and without this, they should not have passed any ruling.'

Hakim al-Islam Qari Muhammad Tayyib (rahimahullah), Rector of Darul Uloom Deoband.
Khutbaat Hakim al-Islam, vol. 3, pg. 176-177.

t.me/basairnet