IslamicTeachings.org
Sign in to follow this  
ummitaalib

The Formula to Remove Depression and Grief

Hazrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned the following to a person who was overcome by depression and grief:

What is the need for such worry and grief? When a person is overcome by depression and grief, I generally advise them to engage in a certain muraaqabah (meditation). This meditation is a cure for all types of depression, worries and anxieties. The method of this meditation is for one to always reflect and ponder over the fact that “Allah Ta‘ala loves me and wants the best for me”. In the Qur’aan Majeed, Allah Ta‘ala says that He is the true friend and guardian of the believers. Hence, Allah Ta‘ala always decides the best for His servant. If any person experiencing depression and grief engages in this muraaqabah, then he will find that all his worries and anxieties will come to an end.

An example through which this muraaqabah can be understood is the love of the mother for the child. Every child believes that his mother loves him and wants what is best for him. Despite this, the mother still does certain things that outwardly seem unpleasant to the child. In some instances, she even reprimands and disciplines the child. However, even though the child gets scolded by the mother, the child feels satisfied that his mother has the utmost love for him, and that whatever she is doing is for his benefit. (Malfoozaat Hakeemul Ummat 8/352)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ummitaalib
      The Cause for Insecurity

Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Daamat Barakaatuhu) mentioned:
      The amount of comforts and luxuries we see around us today was probably never experienced before. But strangely the more the items of luxury, the more the discomfort and depression.
      The same applies to medicine. Doctors have progressed to this level that a man’s heart can be removed from his body, get treated and then replaced. But here also every coming day there are more and more complications. Similar is the case with security. We enjoy so many levels of security yet we still feel so insecure.
      The reason for all of this is that we have removed Allah Ta‘ala from the equation. We need to firmly believe that Allah Ta‘ala does. The controls are solely in His hands. The stronger this conviction becomes the more comfort, mental ease, guidance and direction we will find. On the contrary the more godlessness comes into a person, the more he will find himself falling into depression and despondency.

• By ummitaalib
      The Effective Cure for Depression and Worry
      عن عبد الله قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ما قال عبد قط إذا أصابه هم وحزن : اللهم إني عبدك وابن عبدك ابن أمتك ناصيتي بيدك ماض في حكمك عدل في قضاؤك أسألك بكل اسم هو لك سميت به نفسك أو أنزلته في كتابك أو علمته أحدا من خلقك أو استأثرت به في علم الغيب عندك أن تجعل القرآن ربيع قلبي ونور صدري وجلاء حزني وذهاب همي إلا أذهب الله عز وجل همه وأبدله مكان حزنه فرحا قالوا : يا رسول الله ينبغي لنا أن نتعلم هؤلاء الكلمات قال : أجل ينبغي لمن سمعهن أن يتعلمهن (مسند أحمد رقم 4318)
      Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Mas‘ood (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “If any servant of Allah Ta‘ala is afflicted by worry and grief and recites the following du‘aa, Allah Ta‘ala will remove his worry and replace his grief with happiness:
      اَللَّهُمَّ إِنِّيْ عَبْدُكَ وَابْنُ عَبْدِكَ ابْنُ أَمَتِكَ نَاصِيَتِيْ بِيَدِكَ مَاضٍ فِيَّ حُكْمُكَ عَدْلٌ فِيَّ قَضَاؤُكَ أَسْأَلُكَ بِكُلِّ اسْمٍ هُوَ لَكَ سَمَّيْتَ بِهِ نَفْسَكَ أَوْ أَنْزَلْتَهُ فِيْ كِتَابِكَ أَوْ عَلَّمْتَهُ أَحَدًا مِنْ خَلْقِكَ أَوِ اسْتَأْثَرْتَ بِهِ فِيْ عِلْمِ الْغَيْبِ عِنْدَكَ أَنْ تَجْعَلَ الْقُرْآنَ رَبِيْعَ قَلْبِيْ وَنُوْرَ صَدْرِيْ وَجِلَاءَ حُزْنِيْ وَذَهَابَ هَمِّيْ
      “O Allah, I am Your slave, the son of Your slave, the son of Your slave woman. My forelock is in Your hand and control, Your decree will surely prevail over me, Your judgment in dealing with me is full of justice. I beg of You through the medium of every name of Yours with which You have named Yourself or You have revealed in Your Book or which You taught to any one of Your creation (e.g. any of the Ambiyaa (‘alaihis salaam)) or which You have kept hidden within Your knowledge, that You make the Holy Qur’aan the source of comfort (and happiness) for my heart, and the light of my chest, and the means of removing my grief and sorrow, and the means of removing my worry.”
      The Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) then asked, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! Should we learn these words of du‘aa?” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied, “Yes! The one who hears these words of du‘aa should learn them.”
      Source: Whatisislam
    • By ummitaalib
      Is it wrong to cry over the deceased?
      Question
      Please clarify if someone cannot control his tears while remembering his beloved child who has passed away, is there anything wrong with this? I have read that when tears flow, it is a kind of mercy from Allah and it is not haram.

Answer
      Crying over a deceased is certainly allowed. There were numerous instances wherein Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) himself cried over a deceased or someone who was in the throes of death. Among them are the following:

1) Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik (radiyallahu ‘anhu) says,
      “We visited Abu Sayf, the blacksmith, with Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). He was the father of the wet-nurse of Ibrahim [the son of Nabi -sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam-].
      Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) held Ibrahim, kissed him and smelt him. Then later we visited him when Ibrahim was breathing his last. The eyes of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) began to flow with tears. Sayyiduna ‘Abdur Rahman ibn ‘Awf (radiyallahu ‘anhu) asked [out of astonishment], ‘Even you, O Rasulullah!’ [Why are you crying?]
      Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘O Ibn ‘Awf, it is mercy.’ Then more tears followed and he said, ‘The eye weeps and the heart grieves and we say nothing except what pleases our Rabb. O Ibrahim, we are grieved at your departure.”
      (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1303 and Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 2315 with variation in the wording)

2) Sayyiduna Usamah ibn Zayd (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports, “The daughter [Zaynab -radiyallahu ‘anha] of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) sent a message to him saying, ‘One of my sons is in the throes of death, so come.’
      He sent his greetings to her and said, ‘Indeed what Allah takes is his and what He gives is his. Everything has a fixed term with Him, so she should adopt patience and anticipate reward.’
      She again sent for him taking an oath that he should certainly come. He got up with Sa’d ibn ‘Ubadah, Mu’adh ibn Jabal, Ubayy ibn Ka’b, Zayd ibn Thabit and some other men (radiyallahu ‘anhum).The child was brought to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and he was shuddering. (I think he said, “Like an old water skin.”). Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)’s eyes began flowing with tears. Sa’d (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said, ‘O Rasulullah, what is this?’
      He said, ‘This is mercy which Allah has put in the hearts of His slaves. Allah is merciful to His slaves who are merciful [to others].”
      (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1284 and Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 923)

3) Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) reports, “Sa’d ibn ‘Ubadah fell ill. So Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), came to visit him with ‘Abdur Rahman ibn ‘Awf, Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas and ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhum). When he arrived, he found him surrounded by his family and asked, ‘Has he passed away?’ They said, ‘No, O Rasulullah’.
      Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then began to weep. When the people saw Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) weeping, they also wept.
      Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then said, ‘Listen, Allah does not punish for the tears of the eyes nor for the sorrow of the heart, but he punishes or shows mercy on account of this,’ and he pointed to his tongue”
      (Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 924 and Sahih Bukhari, with slight addition in the wording, Hadith: 1304)

The above narrations illustrate the permissibility of crying over a deceased as well as when remembering the deceased.

However wailing and screaming has been prohibited, as explained in the following Hadiths:
      1) Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:
      “The deceased is punished in his grave for the wailing done over him.”
      (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1292 and Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 927)

2) Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said, Leave [the daughters of Khalid ibn Walid -radiyallahu ‘anhu] to cry over him, as long as they do not throw sand on their heads or shout.
      (Sub heading of Sahih Bukhari, before Hadith: 1291)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar
            hadithanswers