IslamicTeachings.org

A Prayer fit for a Queen

ummtaalib

A Prayer fit for a Queen

Sayyidah Faathima Radhiyallahu Anha was exhausted.

The blisters on her hands attested to the demanding nature of her tasks. By looking at her hands, who would have believed that these were the hands of the Queen of Jannah?

Affection overwhelmed Sayyiduna Ali Radhiyallahu Anhu as he stared at his beloved wife’s hands. He understood why the sores on her hands refused to heal – much like him, they too didn’t want to leave her blessed hands. But while their presence caused her pain, he always hoped that his presence was a pleasure to her. His desire to bring some relief to her motivated him to share the news with her…

“Some slaves have arrived, perhaps you should request one from your father.” he said.

She considered his suggestion, probably wondering if she really deserved the extra help more than anyone else in their community. Perhaps, she thought she could manage without it for just a little while longer – after all, her kids wouldn’t be little kids forever. But, she also didn’t want her husband to feel as if she’d disregarded his suggestion. His wisdom was vast and she knew he’d only make a suggestion if he really thought it best for their family… so she heeded his suggestion.

She greeted her father.

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam placed a kiss on the forehead of his beloved daughter and led her to where he was sitting. She loved her father more than she loved any other human. As she sat with him, she grew hesitant and it was only upon her father’s concerned enquiry that she finally revealed the reason for her visit.

Her father looked at her with deep love in his eyes before saying, “If you so desire, I will give you a slave but it is better for you to carry out the household chores yourself.”

He then lovingly continued, advising her to recite the following words before retiring to bed as a means of lightening her loads.

سُبْحَانَ الله

Allah is free from all flaws and imperfections. As I think about these words that Faatima Radhiyallahu Anha was advised to read, 33 times before bed, I wonder what does it mean for someone like me?

Well, as a Muslim woman, I made the choice to submit to the instructions of Allah because I know & trust that Allah is my Creator – my Creator who knows everything and who is absolutely Perfect. Allah never makes mistakes and so anything that Allah or Allah’s Messenger Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam instructs me to do, is what is best for me.

Men and women are designed to complement each other, to fulfill different functions and in fulfilling my functions as a female, I should know that the most Perfect and Loving Being decided that I should be female. There is no mistake in this decision. This brings my heart peace.

الْحَمْدُ لِله

All praise and thanks is for Allah. Who brought me into existence, despite my many imperfections. I read this 33 times, reminding myself that all praise and thanks is for Allah – whether I, or anyone else or anything else, acknowledges it or not. Allah does not need me to praise Him or thank Him. Look at the word ‘alhamdulillah’:

The word ‘Hamd’ in Arabic is a noun, a مصدرto be specific. Allah uses a noun instead of a verb in this statement.

So, what’s part of the beauty of using a noun instead of a verb?

Well, a noun is timeless. It’s not restricted to a tense while a verb is. Secondly, a noun does not need a doer to exist. It is independent. A verb however can only exist if someone is doing it. It is not independent. It is needy. It needs a doer.
Allah tells us that praise and thanks for Him exists timelessly and independently. Allah does not need me, yet He does so much for me… The least I can do is say Alhamdulillah. 

But even that is not enough to thank my Creator because…

الله أكبر

The words I now read 34 times… because Allah is greater and more powerful than anything and anyone else. Allah’s love for me and His favour upon me surpasses the parameters of my comprehension and imagination. My praise and thanks will never be enough because Allah is so much greater.
These words also remind me that no matter how daunting any menial task may seem, turning to Allah will make it easy and doing it sincerely for Allah’s pleasure will make it grand.

“Tasbeeh-e-Faatimi”, that’s what it’s commonly called. When it worked wonders for the Queen of Jannah, why wouldn’t it work for me? Go on, try it – it’s free.

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians