IslamicTeachings.org

Sayyidina Uthmaan (RA)

Hazrat Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part One

Name:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan bin ‘Affaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Birth:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was born six years after ‘Aam-ul-Feel (the Year of the Elephants i.e. the year in which Abrahah tried to destroy the Ka‘bah Shareef with elephants). (Isaabah 4/377)

Kunyah (Filial Title):

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was first given the kunyah “Abu ‘Abdillah” on account of his son, Hazrat Abdullah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Thereafter, Hazrat ‘Abdullah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away. The next son of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was Hazrat ‘Amr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Hence, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was next given the kunyah “Abu ‘Amr” by which he was famously known until the end of his life. (Istee‘aab 3/155)

Mother:

The respected mother of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was Hazrat Arwaa bint Kuraiz (radhiyallahu ‘anha). (Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 2/566)

Demise of Hazrat ‘Abdullah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

Hazrat ‘Abdullah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), the son of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) from Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha), passed away in the year 4 A.H. at the age of six. (Usdul Ghaabah 3/216)

A rooster had pecked Hazrat ‘Abdullah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) in his eyes, causing him injury. It was on account of this injury that he fell ill and passed away. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) performed his janaazah salaah after which Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) descended into the grave to bury him. This was in the month of Jumaadaa-Oolaa of the year 4 A.H. (Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d 3/39)

Source: Whatisislam.co.za

Part Two

Title:

The title of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was ‘Zun-Noorain’ (the possessor of the two lights). ‘Two lights’ referred to the two blessed daughters of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) and Hazrat Ummu Kulthoom (radhiyallahu ‘anha).

Hazrat Hasan Basri (rahimahullah) has explained that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was given this title as he was the only person who had married two daughters of a Nabi (Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) married Hazrat Ummu Kulthoom (radhiyallahu ‘anha) after the demise of Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha)). (Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 2/566/568)

Hazrat Nazaal bin Sabrah (rahimahullah) narrates, “We asked Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), ‘Tell us something regarding Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).’ Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) responded, ‘He was a man who would be referred to by the title ‘Zun-Noorain’ in the Mala’-ul-A’laa (assembly of angels).’” (Isaabah 4/378)

Family Relationship with Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

The lineage of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) meets the lineage of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) at ‘Abd Manaaf. (Usdul Ghaabah 3/215)

The maternal grandmother of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was Baydhaa’, the daughter of ‘Abdul Muttalib. Hence, the maternal grandmother of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was the paternal aunt of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). (Isaabah 4/377)

Part Three

Physical Description:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was neither too tall nor too short (i.e. he was of moderate height), and was blessed with a handsome face. His beard was large and he had a fair, wheat-colored complexion. He was large-jointed and broad-shouldered. He would dye his hair yellow.

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa vol. 2 pg. 567)

The Companion of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in Jannah:

Hazrat Talhah bin ‘Ubaidillah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “Every Nabi will have a special friend (in Jannah), and my special friend (in Jannah) will be Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).”

(Sunan Tirmizi #3698)

Part Four

Islam:

‘Amr bin ‘Uthmaan (rahimahullah) narrates that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had mentioned the following when explaining to them the manner in which he accepted Islam:

I was a man whom many women were interested in marrying. One night, I was in the courtyard of the Ka‘bah Shareef, seated among a group of the Quraish, when someone came to us and gave us the news that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had married his respected daughter, Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha), to ‘Utbah bin Abi Lahab. Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) was blessed with outstanding beauty. On receiving the news, I was filled with remorse and regret as I thought to myself, “Why did I not precede him in attaining the honor of marrying the respected daughter of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)?” After some time elapsed, I returned home.

When I arrived at home, I found my aunt (mother’s sister) seated within. Her name was Su’daa bint Kuraiz, and she had studied soothsaying by her people. When she saw me, she recited the following couplets:

أبشر وحييت ثلاثا وترا      ثم ثلاثا وثلاثا أخرى

ثم بأخرى كي تتم عشرا      لقيت خيرا ووقيت شرا

نكحت والله حصانا زهرا      وأنت بكر ولقيت بكرا

Accept glad tidings and congratulations thrice, then thrice more, and then thrice more

And then once more to complete ten.You have encountered goodness and have been saved from evil

By Allah! You have married an extremely chaste and beautiful woman. You are a virgin and you have married a virgin.

(To be continued insha Allah)

(Isaabah vol. 4 pg. 327 and Al-Riyaadh-un-Nadhrah vol. 3 pg. 8)

Part Five

Islam:

(Continuing from Part four)

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) continued:

I was astonished and perplexed at what my aunt had said, and so I asked her, “O aunt! What are you saying?” She replied by reciting the following couplets:

عثمان يا عثمان يا عثمان      لك الجمال ولك الشان

هذا نبي معه البرهان      أرسله بحقه الديان

وجاءه التنزيل والفرقان      فاتبعه ولا تغيا بك الأوثان

‘Uthmaan! O ‘Uthmaan! O ‘Uthmaan! You have been blessed with beauty and you have been blessed with prestige.

This is a Nabi with whom there are clear proofs and signs. The Lord of recompense has deputed him with the truth.

The word of Allah is revealed to him, which distinguishes between truth and falsehood. So follow him and do not allow the idols to misguide you.

Hearing these couplets, I asked her, “O aunt! You are speaking of something that has yet to be (known and) mentioned in our land, so clarify it for me.” She replied, “Muhammed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), the son of ‘Abdullah, is the Rasul of Allah. He brought the message of Allah, inviting mankind towards Allah. His lamp is a true lamp (of guidance), his word is righteousness and piety, his deen is one of success and his affair is one of salvation. He will face opposition and the valleys will be under his control. Calls and shouts made against him will be of no avail, even if the spears fall (against him), sides are struck and spears are wielded (against him).”

Part Six

Islam:

(Continuing from Part Five)

I then left my aunt. Her statements had left an impression on my heart and I continued to ponder over what she had said.

I would sometimes associate with Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and sit with him. After Monday had passed, I came to sit with him and found him seated alone. On sitting with him, he noticed that I was in deep thought. Being a very soft-natured person, he asked me what the matter was. I replied by mentioning to him the statements that my aunt had made. Hearing this, he exclaimed, “O ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! May Allah have mercy on you! You are an intelligent, foresighted man. You are able to discern between truth and falsehood. These idols which your people worship – are they not (made of) mere stone that is deaf, unable to hear, see, harm or benefit?” I replied, “Most certainly! By Allah! They are definitely as you described!”

Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then said, “By Allah! Your aunt spoke the truth to you. This is Muhammed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), the son of ‘Abdullah. Allah Ta‘ala has deputed him with His message to the entire creation. Would you like to come to him and listen to his message?” I replied in the affirmative.

Part Seven

Islam:

(Continuing from Part Six)

By Allah! Just a few moments later, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) passed by with Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) who was carrying a cloth for Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). When Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) saw him, he stood and went to him. He then spoke quietly into the blessed ear of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), after which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) came and sat. After sitting, he turned to me and said, “O ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! Accept the invitation which Allah Ta‘ala is giving you to His Jannah, as I am indeed the messenger of Allah Ta‘ala to you and to His entire creation.”

Hearing these blessed words of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), I could not help but accept Islam. I then recited the Shahaadah saying, “There is no deity besides Allah alone, who has no partner, and Muhammed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) is His servant and messenger.”

Soon thereafter, I married Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha), the respected daughter of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).

Part Eight

Dream before Islam:

Hazrat Yazid bin Roomaan (rahimahullah) narrates:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat Talhah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had proceeded, after Hazrat Zubair bin ‘Awwaam (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had accepted Islam, until they entered into the blessed presence of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) invited them to Islam, recited a portion of the Qur’aan Majeed to them, informed them of the rights of Islam and promised them to receive honor from Allah Ta‘ala if they upheld the Deen of Islam. They both brought Imaan and accepted the message of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then said, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I arrived recently from Shaam. (While we were travelling from Shaam,) when we were between Mu‘aan and Zarqaa’, we were as if asleep when we heard a person announce, ‘O people who are asleep! Wake up, for Ahmed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) has appeared in Makkah Mukarramah!” When we thereafter arrived in Makkah Mukarramah, we heard of you (claiming to be the Nabi of Allah Ta‘ala).”

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had accepted Islam in the very early days, before Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had entered Daar-ul-Arqam.

(Ibn Sa’d 3/40)

Part Nine

Hijrah to Abyssinia:

After Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) accepted Islam, his uncle, Hakam bin Abil ‘Aas bin Umayyah, caught him and shackled him. He said to Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “Have you turned away from the religion of your forefathers, accepting a new religion? By Allah! I will never release you until you forsake this new religion that you are following!” Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “By Allah! I will never leave this religion nor will I part from it!” Eventually, when Hakam saw the firmness and determination with which Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) adhered to Islam, he relented and released him.

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had performed both migrations to Abyssinia with his respected wife, Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha).

(Tabaqaat ibn Sa’d 3/40)

Part Ten

The First Muslim to Perform Hijrah with his Family:

Hazrat Anas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had left for Abyssinia, performing Hijrah with his respected wife, Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha), the blessed daughter of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). News of their condition was delayed, and hence Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) became concerned and would come out of Makkah Mukarramah, seeking information in their regard. Eventually, a woman came to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and gave him information regarding them. On this occasion, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) remarked, “Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is the first person to perform Hijrah in the path of Allah Ta‘ala with his family after Nabi Lut (‘alaihis salaam).”

(Majma’uz Zawaa’id #14498)

Part Eleven

The First Muslim to Perform Hijrah with his Family (continued):

When Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) intended performing Hijrah to Abyssinia, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to him, “Take Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) with you. I feel that each of you will support and encourage the other to persevere.”

After a while from the time of their departure, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked Hazrat Asmaa (radhiyallahu ‘anha), the respected daughter of Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), to enquire regarding them. After enquiring, she found Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) with her respected father, Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). She said, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I received information that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is presently travelling in the direction of the sea in the condition that his respected family, Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) is seated on a saddled donkey.” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) became pleased and said, “O Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! They are the first people in the world to perform Hijrah in the path of Allah Ta‘ala after the two Ambiyaa, Nabi Lut (‘alaihis salaam) and Nabi Ebrahim (‘alaihis salaam), performed Hijrah.”

(Mustadrak Haakim #6849)

Part Twelve

Hijrah to Madinah Munawwarah:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and his respected family, Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha), eventually returned to Makkah Mukarramah from Abyssinia. They thereafter performed Hijrah to Madinah Munawwarah. When Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) arrived in Madinah Munawwarah with his respected family, he was hosted by Hazrat Aws bin Thaabit (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), the brother of Hazrat Hassaan bin Thaabit (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

(Usdul Ghaabah 3/216)

Absence from the Battle of Badr:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was not present for the Battle of Badr. The reason is that his respected wife, Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha), who was the blessed daughter of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), became extremely ill and was on the verge of passing away. Hence, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) instructed Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to remain with her in Madinah Munawwarah in order to attend to her.

Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) eventually passed away on the same day in which the news arrived that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and the Muslims were victorious in the battle against the disbelievers.

On account of his deep desire to participate in the battle, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) allotted him a share of the booty and also promised him that he would enjoy the reward of those who had participated. Hence, he was equal to those who fought in the battle.

(Usdul Ghaabah 3/216, Ibn Sa’d 3/41)

In this regard, Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) narrates, “The only reason for Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) not participating in the Battle of Badr was that he was married to the blessed daughter of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and she was ill (at the time of the battle). Hence, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to him, ‘Indeed you will have the reward of one who participated in Badr as well as the booty.’”

(Saheeh Bukhaari #3130)

Part Thirteen

Marriage to Hazrat Ummu Kulthoom (radhiyallahu ‘anha):

After Hazrat Ruqayyah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) passed away, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) married Hazrat Ummu Kulthoom (radhiyallahu ‘anha), another blessed daughter of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).

After the demise of Hazrat Ummu Kulthoom (radhiyallahu ‘anha), Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mentioned to Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “If I had a third daughter (who was unmarried), I would have married her to you (as well).”

Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that he heard Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mention, “If I had forty daughters, I would have given them in marriage to Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), one after the other, until no daughter remained (i.e. after the demise of each one, I would have married him to the next daughter, until no daughters remained alive).”

(Usdul Ghaabah 3/216)

Part Fourteen

One of the Asharah Mubasharah:

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was one of the ten Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) who were given the glad tidings of Jannah by Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in one gathering.

Hazrat ‘Abdur Rahmaan bin ‘Auf (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat Talhah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat Zubair (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat ‘Abdur Rahmaan bin ‘Auf (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah, Hazrat Sa‘eed (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah and Hazrat Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Jarraah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is among the people of Jannah.

(Sunan Tirmizi #3747)

• 2 months later...

Part Fifteen

Glad Tidings of Martyrdom

Hazrat Anas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) once ascended the Mountain of Uhud with Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). The mountain then began to tremble and shake (out of the excitement of these blessed personalities placing their feet on it). Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) stamped his mubaarak foot on the mountain and addressed it saying, “Be still, O Uhud, for upon you are none other than a Nabi, a Siddeeq and two martyrs.”

(Saheeh Bukhaari #3686)

Part Sixteen

Purchasing a Well in Jannah

When the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) migrated to Madeenah Munawwarah, the water that was found in Madeenah Munawwarah was difficult for them to drink due it being bitter. However, there was a Jew who had a well of sweet water named Roomah, and he used to sell the water of this well to the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum).

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), “Who will buy the well of Roomah and donate it to the Muslims so that he will be equal to them in drawing its water, and he will receive a well in Jannah in exchange?” Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) went to the Jew who was the owner of the well and offered to purchase Roomah from him. However, the Jew refused to sell the entire well, and instead sold half of the well to Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) for twelve thousand dirhams. Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) immediately donated it to the Muslims, and then said to the Jew, “If you wish, we can hang two buckets (so that we can both use the well at the same time), or if you prefer, I will use it on one day and you will use it on the next day.” The Jew replied that he preferred to alternate days with Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

Thereafter, when it was the day of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), the Muslims would come to the well and draw sufficient water to last them for two days. Seeing that the Muslims were no longer buying water from him, the Jew said to Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “You have spoilt my well (as I can no longer sell the water to people)! Buy the other half from me.” Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus purchased the other half of the well from him for eight thousand dirhams.

(Istee‘aab vol. 3 pg. 157)

• 2 weeks later...

Part Seventeen

Glad Tidings of Jannah

Hazrat Abu Moosa (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates the following:

I was once in the blessed company of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in one of the orchards of Madinah Munawwarah when a person came and sought permission to enter the orchard. Hearing the person’s request, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to me, “Allow him to enter and give him the glad tidings of a high stage in Jannah.” I thus opened the door for the person and found him to be none other than Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). I conveyed to him the glad tidings which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had mentioned, at which he praised Allah Ta‘ala in gratitude.

Soon thereafter, another person came and requested to enter the orchard. Hearing his request, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to me, “Allow him to enter and give him the glad tidings of a high stage in Jannah.” I thus opened the door for the person, and found that he was none other than Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). I conveyed to him the glad tidings which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had mentioned, at which he praised Allah Ta‘ala in gratitude.

After some time, another person sought permission to enter the orchard. Rasululah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to me, “Allow him to enter, and give him the glad tidings of a high stage in Jannah, together with a trial that he will face.” When I opened the door, I found that the person was none other than Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). I informed him of what Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had mentioned, at which he praised Allah Ta‘ala in gratitude and then said, “From Allah alone do we seek assistance.”

(Saheeh Bukhaari #3693)

Part Eighteen

Reciting the Entire Qur’aan Majeed in One Rakaat

Hazrat ‘Uthmaan bin ‘Abdir Rahmaan (rahimahullah) narrates the following:

I once stood behind the Maqaam-e-Ebrahim performing salaah, and it was my intention that no person will surpass me in performing salaah at the Maqaam-e-Ebrahim that night. While I was there, I suddenly perceived that there was a man behind me. The man tapped me, but I did not glance to see who it was. When the man tapped me for a second time, I glanced and saw that he was none other than Hazrat ‘Uthmaan bin ‘Affaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Out of respect for him, I moved and made space for him. Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then came forward. He commenced performing salaah and recited the entire Qur’aan Majeed in a single rakaat. After completing his salaah, he left.

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah #8678)

Part Nineteen

Equipping the Expedition of Tabook

Hazrat ‘Abdur Rahmaan bin Khabbaab (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates the following:

I was present when Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was encouraging the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) to equip the army and contribute towards the expedition of Tabook. On that occasion, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) stood and said, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I undertake to contribute one hundred camels with their complete saddlery (saddle blankets and saddles) in the path of Allah.”

Thereafter, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) encouraged the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) once again to equip the army for the expedition of Tabook. Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) again stood and said, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I undertake to contribute another two hundred camels with their complete saddlery (saddle blankets and saddles) in the path of Allah.”

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then encouraged the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) to contribute to the expedition for a third time. Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) again stood and said, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I undertake to contribute another three hundred camels with their complete saddlery (saddle blankets and saddles) in the path of Allah (thus bringing his total contribution of camels to six hundred camels).”

On that occasion, I saw Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) descend from the mimbar while he was extremely pleased saying, “Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) will not have to do any other virtuous nafl deed after this deed to purchase his Jannah.”

(Sunan Tirmizi #3700)

Part Twenty

Equipping the Expedition of Tabook (continued)

Hazrat ‘Abdur Rahmaan bin Samurah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that when Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was preparing for the expedition of Tabook, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) brought one thousand gold coins to him in a cloth and placed them in his blessed lap. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) began to turn the coins with his blessed hand and continued to say, “Nothing will harm ibn ‘Affaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) after the action he has done today (i.e. nothing will harm him and prevent him from entering Jannah, as he has secured the divine acceptance of Allah Ta‘ala through this deed).”

(Musnad Ahmed #20630)

Hazrat ‘Abdur Rahmaan bin ‘Auf (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) contributed seven hundred ooqiyah of gold for the expedition of Tabook. In another narration, it is mentioned that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) contributed seven hundred and fifty camels and fifty horses for the expedition of Tabook.

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 2/152)

Mulla ‘Ali Qaari (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had made multiple contributions for the expedition of Tabook. Hence, this Hadith will not go against the Hadith which mentions that he had equipped the army with six hundred camels.

(Mirqaat 17/399)

Hazrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mentioned, “Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) purchased Jannah from Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) on two occasions; when he purchased the well of Roomah, and when he equipped the expedition of Tabook.”

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 2/153)

Part Twenty One

Ten Good Deeds of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Hazrat Abu Thowr Al-Fahmi (rahimahullah) narrates that he once came to Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and heard him mention the following:

There are ten good deeds which I have secured by Allah Ta‘ala and for which I hope to receive reward; I was the fourth person to accept Islam, throughout my life, I never disobeyed my Rabb nor did I ever speak a lie, I did not ever place my right hand on my private part since I used my right hand to pledge allegiance to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), no jumu’ah has passed without me freeing a slave since I accepted Islam, and if I did not possess a slave on the day of jumu’ah, I would free the slave afterwards, and I never committed adultery, neither before accepting Islam nor after accepting Islam.

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 2/151)

• 3 weeks later...

Part Twenty Two

The Hayaa of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Hazrat Anas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “The most merciful of my ummah towards my ummah is Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), and the most staunch in (upholding) the command of Allah Ta‘ala is Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), and the most true in hayaa is Hazrat ‘Uthmaan bin ‘Affaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), and the most knowledgeable regarding halaal and haraam is Hazrat Mu‘aaz bin Jabal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), and the most knowledgeable regarding the masaa’il of inheritance is Hazrat Zaid bin Thaabit (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), and the most knowledgeable regarding the recitation of the Qur’aan Majeed is Hazrat Ubayy bin Ka‘b (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), and every Ummah has a trustee, and the trustee of this ummah is Hazrat Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Jarraah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).”

(Sunan Tirmizi #3790)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Part Twenty Three

The Hayaa of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – continued

Hazrat ‘Aa’ishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) reports the following:

On one occasion, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was lying down in my home and his kurta was slightly moved from the area of his blessed thighs or his blessed shin, though his blessed thighs and shins were covered by his lungi.

During that time, Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) requested permission to enter. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) permitted Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to enter, while he was lying down in that condition, and spoke to him.

After some time, Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) requested permission to enter. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) permitted Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to enter and spoke to him while he remained in the same condition.

Thereafter, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) requested permission to enter. When Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) sought permission to enter, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) immediately sat up and straightened his clothing, placing his kurta over his lungi. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then permitted him to enter, after which they spoke for some time.

Hazrat ‘Aa’ishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) then mentioned:

When Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) left, I asked Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), “I noticed that when Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) entered, you remained lying down. Thereafter, when Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) entered, you also continued to lie down. However, when Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) entered, you sat up and straightened your clothing.” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied, “How can I not display extra hayaa before a man who is such that even the angels display hayaa before him?”

(Saheeh Muslim #2401)

In another similar narration, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied, “Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is a man who possesses an exceptionally high level of hayaa. I feared that if I had to permit him to enter while I was in that condition, (then due to his exceptionally high level of hayaa,) he would feel reserved in expressing his need to me.”

(Saheeh Muslim #2402)

• Like 1

Part Twenty Four

Hayaa (continued)

Hazrat Hasan Basri (rahimahullah) once mentioned the following regarding the extremely high level of hayaa which Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) possessed, “He would be in his home, and the door would be locked, yet he would not remove his clothing entirely at the time of bathing (i.e. he did not remove his lungi when making ghusl, as is reported regarding the manner in which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) used to perform ghusl.)”

(Musnad-e-Ahmed #543)

Part Twenty Five

The Simplicity and Humility of Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Hazrat Shurahbeel bin Muslim (rahimahullah) mentions that Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would feed the people the food of rulers (i.e. food of a superior quality). After feeding the people, Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would enter his home and partake of simple foods such as vinegar and olive oil.”

(Hilyatul Awliyaa vol. 1 pg. 98)

Hazrat Maimoon bin Mahraan (rahimahullah) narrates from Hamdaani that he had seen Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mounted on his mule while his slave, Naa’il, was mounted on the same mule behind him. This incident occurred at a time when Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was the Khalifah of the Muslims.

(Hilyatul Awliyaa vol. 1 pg. 99)

• Like 1