IslamicTeachings.org

Wearing High Heels

ummtaalib

Question

Assalamualykum,

What is the ruling regarding high heels? I wear 4 inch stilettos and recently got told it is haram and sinful to wear them. I am not sure why, could you please tell me the rules regarding shoes? A lot of Muslim women out there wear heels, so I think it would be good if we all know the rules regarding heels. My heels do not make loud noise to attract attention as I walk slowly and mostly just stand in one place when I do wear them… (parties)

Answer

Walaikumussalam w w

There are reasons why scholars may say that high heel shoes are not permissible for wear in public.

1) The noise they make attracts attention.

2) They make the hips sway; attracting attention.

3) They are injurious to feet, ankles etc.

Granted there are some heels which do not make loud noises when walking but the second factor will be taking place as the high heels force the body to tilt emphasizing the breasts and rear.

So in general wearing such shoes makes the woman’s walk enticing and seductive to men. Therefore, a woman should not wear them, especially when medical experts also warn against them.

This desire to look fashionable continues to drive women to wear high-heeled shoes, despite causing significant pain in the ball of the foot, or bunions or corns, or Hammer toe. A survey conducted by the American Podiatric Medical Association showed some 42% of women admitted that they would wear a shoe they liked even if it gave them discomfort.

Search ‘the worst shoes for your feet’ on www.webmd.boots.com for further information on the injuries caused by
high heels, stilettos etc.

http://www.tafseer-raheemi.com/q692-are-high-heels-allowed/

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Can Muslim women wear high heels?

In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.

Answer

The Qur’an and Sunnah have provided ample guidance on the subject of clothing, which can be summarized into four parts:

1. Our clothing must cover our body adequately, which means those parts, which are cover worthy. Thus for a man it is from his belly button to his knees and for a woman it is her entire body except for her hands and face. These parts must never be exposed to any other person (except in genuine circumstances like in front of a doctor for medical treatment) In addition the clothes must not be see through.
  2. Our clothing/ dress should establish our Muslim identity.
  3. For men the garment they wear should not be below their ankles.
  4. Finally for men silk clothing is also not permissible. (Kitabul Fatawa p.95 v.6)

Furthermore, women’s clothing should not attract men’s attention to them.

Your question can be looked at in two ways. There are some heels which do not make that much noise when walking. Such heels will be permissible for women to wear. Then there are other “high heels” which attract unwanted attention with the noise they make and the way they make the hips sway.

Allah (SWA) in the Holy Qur’an has said,

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance…” (Surah Ahzaab v.33)

Also they give a false illusion of height and in a way is a form of deception. The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam has said; “Whoever bears arms against us is not one of us and whoever cheats us is not one of us.” (Sahih Muslim p.70 v.1)

Only Allah Knows Best

Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

Source