IslamicTeachings.org

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Part One

Sad-bin-Abi-Waqqaas-Radhiyallahu-Anhu.jpg

Name: Hazrat Sa’d bin Abi Waqqaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Kunyah (agnomen): Abu Ishaaq (Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa vol 3 pg. 58)

Father’s Name: Maalik bin Wuhaib bin ‘Abd Manaaf (Tabaqaat ibn Sa’d vol 3 pg. 101)

Mother’s Name: Hamnah bint Sufyaan bin Umayyah bin ‘Abd Shams (Tabaqaat ibn Sa’d vol 3 pg. 101)

Title: Faaris-ul-Islam (the Horseman of Islam) (Tahzeeb-ul-Kamaal vol. 10 pg. 310)

Islam:

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) accepted Islam at the age of nineteen. (Istee‘aab vol. 2 pg. 171, Tahzeeb-ul-Kamaal vol. 10 pg. 311)

According to some narrations, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) accepted Islam at the age of seventeen. (Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa vol. 3 pg. 61)

Family Ties with Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

Hazrat Jaabir bin ‘Abdillah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) once arrived when Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “This is my maternal uncle. Which person can show me a maternal uncle like mine.”

Note: Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) referred to Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) as his maternal uncle (despite him not being the brother of Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)’s respected mother) because Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) hailed from the Banu Zuhrah tribe and the respected mother of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), Hazrat Aaminah, also hailed from the Banu Zuhrah tribe.

(Sunan Tirmizi #3752)

Source: Whatisislam.co.za

• Like 1

Part Two

Dream Before Accepting Islam

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates:

Prior to accepting Islam, I had a dream in which I saw that I was in absolute darkness and was unable to see anything. Suddenly, a moon illuminated the night and I began to follow it. In the dream, I saw those who had preceded me to this moon. I could see Hazrat Zaid bin Haarithah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat ‘Ali bin Abi Taalib (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). I asked them, “When did you arrive here?” They replied, “Just this moment.” I later on learnt that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was secretly inviting to Islam. I thus met him in the valleys of the mountains of Makkah Mukarramah. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had just performed Salaah. I then accepted Islam, and none besides these Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) had preceded me in accepting Islam (Note: This Sahaabi mentioned this according to his knowledge. Otherwise, it is proven in other narrations that there were a few other Sahaabah who accepted Islam before him).”

(Usdul Ghaabah vol. 2 pg. 309)

• Like 1

Part Three

Abu ‘Uthmaan (rahimahullah) narrates that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

The following verse of the Qur’aan Majeed was revealed in my regard:

وَوَصَّيْنَا الْإِنسَـٰنَ بِوَٰلِدَيْهِ حُسْنًا وَإِن جَـٰهَدَاكَ لِتُشْرِكَ بِى مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ فَلَا تُطِعْهُمَآ

We have enjoined upon man kindness to parents. And if they (your disbelieving parents) force you to join partners with Me (in My worship) that of which you do not have knowledge, then do not obey them.

I was very obedient to my mother. When I accepted Islam, she said, “O Sa’d! What is this religion that you have innovated? You will either leave this religion, or I will neither speak to you, nor eat nor drink until I die. You will then bear the blame of my death as people will call you ‘the one who killed his mother’.” I replied, “O my mother! Do not do this! I will not leave this religion of mine for anything!”

My mother then remained for one day and night (and according to some narrations, three days and nights) without eating or drinking until she became extremely weak. When I saw her in this condition, I said to her, “O my mother! By Allah! Know that if you had a hundred lives and you lost them all, one by one, I would not leave my religion. If you wish, then eat. Otherwise, do not eat.” When the mother of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) saw his determination and devotion to Islam, she realized that he would never renounce Islam and she thus began to eat.

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa vol.3 pg. 69, Saheeh Muslim #1748)

• Like 1

Part Four

Hijrah

When Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and his brother, Hazrat ‘Umair (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), the two sons of Abu Waqqaas, performed Hijrah from Makkah Mukarramah to Madinah Munawwarah, they stayed in the home and orchard of their brother, ‘Utbah bin Abi Waqqaas. ‘Utbah had built his home among the Banu ‘Amr bin ‘Auf clan. ‘Utbah had shed a person’s blood in Makkah Mukarramah and had thus fled to Madinah Munawwarah where he settled among the Banu ‘Amr bin ‘Auf clan. This was before the incident of Bu‘aath (the battle between the Aws and Khazraj tribes of Madinah Munawwarah). (ibn Sa’d 3/103)

Note:

1. Hazrat ‘Umair (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), the brother of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), was martyred in the Battle of Badr at the age of sixteen. (Isaabah 4/602)

2. ‘Utbah bin Abi Waqqaas did not accept Islam. In fact, he was responsible for breaking a portion of the blessed tooth of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) during the Battle of Uhud. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had cursed him and before the year could terminate, he died on disbelief. (Isaabah 5/197)

Part Five

The First Blood Shed for the Cause of Islam

Muhammed bin Ishaaq (rahimahullah) narrates:

The Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would (in the early days of Islam) go into the valleys when performing Salaah so that they would be able to keep their Salaah hidden from the disbelievers (and thus avoid persecution). Once, while Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was with a group of Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) in one of the valleys of Makkah Mukarramah, a group of disbelievers discovered them and began to condemn the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) and criticize their Deen. This led to a fight breaking out between these Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) and the disbelievers, during which Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) inflicted a head wound to one of the disbelievers by striking his skull with the jaw bone of a camel. This was the first fight (from the beginning of Islam wherein the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) wounded the kuffaar and) in which blood was shed for the cause of Islam. (Usdul Ghaabah 2/308)

Part Six

The First Arrow Fired for Islam

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was part of the army that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had sent under Hazrat ‘Ubaidah bin Haarith (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to Raabigh in order to intercept the caravan of the Quraish. During this expedition, the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) and the Quraish fired arrows at one another, and the first Muslim to fire an arrow in the path of Allah was Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

It was regarding this occasion that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) recited the following poetry:

ألا هل أتى رسول الله أني    حميت صحابتي بصدور نبلي

أذود بها عدوهم ذيادا    بكل حزونة وبكل سهل

فما يعتد رام من معد    بسهم في سبيل الله قبلي

Did the news reach Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) that I protected my companions with my arrows?

I effectively repelled their enemies with my arrows, in every hard land and in every soft land.

Hence, no archer from Ma’ad, before me, is counted among those who fired an arrow in the path of Allah Ta‘ala.

(Isaabah 3/64)

• 1 month later...

Part Seven

The Special Du‘aa of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

Hazrat ‘Aa’ishah bint Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anha), the daughter of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), narrates the following from Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

During the Battle of Uhud, (when the enemy had attacked from the rear and many Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) were killed on the battlefield,) the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) could not find Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and were moving about in confusion. At that time, I moved aside and said to myself, “I will continue to fight the kuffaar and defend my life. In the process of fighting, I will either gain martyrdom or Allah Ta‘ala will allow me to remain. If I survive this battle then surely I will get to meet Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).”

In this state, I suddenly saw a man covering his face due to which I could not recognize him. The disbelievers advanced towards him until I said to myself, “They have pursued him until they have finally reached him!” At that moment, the man filled his hand with pebbles and flung them into the faces of the disbelievers, causing them to turn on their heels and retreat until they reached the mountain. The man repeated this action multiple times (when the disbelievers attempted to attack him), and I did not know who he was (as I could not see his face).

Between myself and this man was Hazrat Miqdaad bin Aswad (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). I had just decided to ask Hazrat Miqdaad (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) who this great man was when Hazrat Miqdaad (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said to me, “O Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! This is Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) who is calling you!” I asked Hazrat Miqdaad (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “Where is Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)?” In response, Hazrat Miqdaad (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) gestured towards the very same man.

Realizing that this man was none other than the beloved Rasul of Allah Ta‘ala (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), I immediately stood in my place, and out of extreme happiness, I became totally oblivious of my wounds. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to me, “O Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! Where have you been?” I responded, “I was at a distance from you, from where I could see you.”

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then seated me before him and I began to fire arrows while saying, “O Allah! This is your arrow, so make it strike your enemy!” While I was firing, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was making du‘aa for me saying, “O Allah! Accept the du‘aa of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! O Allah! Make the arrows of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) strike the target! Continue to fire arrows, O Sa’d! May my father and mother be sacrificed for you!” I did not fire a single arrow except that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) repeated this du‘aa and these words.

Finally, when I had depleted all the arrows in my quiver, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) spread out the arrows of his quiver. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then handed me an arrow with fletching (i.e. with feathers).

Imaam Zuhri (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) fired 1000 arrows during the Battle of Uhud.

(Mustadrak Haakim #4314)

Part Eight

Jihaad:

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had mentioned, “I participated in the Battle of Badr at a time when I had only one strand of hair on my face. Later on, Allah Ta‘ala blessed me with a beard.

(ibn Sa’d 3/105, Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/62)

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had participated in the Battles of Badr and Uhud, and he was among the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) who remained firm with Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) during the Battle of Uhud when (the enemy attacked from the rear and killed many Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), due to which there was much confusion and) many Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) turned away from the battlefield.

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) also participated in the Battle of Khandaq (the Trench), the expedition of Hudaibiyah, the Battle of Khaibar and the Conquest of Makkah Mukarramah. During the Conquest of Makkah Mukarramah, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was carrying one of the three flags of the Muhaajireen. He had participated in all the expeditions of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). From among the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), he was among those Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) who were well-skilled in archery.

(ibn Sa’d 3/105)

Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Mas‘ood (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mentioned, “I saw Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) during the Battle of Badr. He was fighting like a horseman among those on foot.”

(ibn Sa’d 3/104, Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/63)

Hazrat Sa’eed bin Musayyib (rahimahullah) says that he heard Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mention that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had made special du‘aa for him (during the Battle of Uhud) saying, “May my father and mother be sacrificed for you!”

(ibn Sa’d 3/104)

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates, “During the Battle of Uhud, I saw two men wearing white clothing, one on the right and one on the left of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). They were defending Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) from the kuffaar most valiantly and fiercely. I never saw them before that nor did I see them after that (in the narration of Muslim Shareef, it is mentioned that these were the angels, Hazrat Jibraa’eel and Hazrat Meekaa’eel (‘alaihimas salaam).”

(Musnad Ahmed #1471, Saheeh Muslim #2306)

Part Nine

Archery:

Hazrat Sa‘eed bin Musayyib (rahimahullah) has mentioned, “Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was an excellent archer.” (Taareekh-ul-Islam 4/216)

Imaam Zuhri (rahimahullah) has mentioned, “During the Battle of Uhud, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) killed three disbelievers with the same arrow that was fired at him three times. The disbelievers had initially fired the arrow. Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) took the arrow and fired it back at the disbelievers, killing one of them. The disbelievers then fired the same arrow back, after which Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) took it and fired it back at them, killing another disbeliever. The disbelievers then fired the same arrow back for a third time. Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) took the arrow and fired it back at them, killing a third disbeliever. Seeing that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had killed three disbelievers with the same arrow, the people were amazed.

(Taareekh-ul-Islam 4/215, Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/63)

Part Ten

Archery (continued):

Hazrat ‘Aamir (rahimahullah), the son of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), narrates the following from Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

During the Battle of Khandaq (the Battle of the Trench), there was a disbeliever carrying a shield. He would use the shield to cover his face, and he would thereafter lower it (in order to see). I reached for my quiver and extracted an arrow that was blood-stained.

I placed the arrow in my bow, and as soon as he lowered the shield, I fired. I will not forget the manner in which the shaft of the arrow fell onto such-and-such portion of the shield (after striking the disbeliever). When the arrow struck him, the disbeliever fell, raising his legs into the air. On this occasion, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) smiled until his blessed teeth could be seen.

Hazrat ‘Aamir (rahimahullah) says, “I asked Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) why Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had smiled. Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, ‘He smiled at the action of the disbeliever (i.e. the manner in which Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had killed the disbeliever).”

(Musnad Ahmed #1620)

Imaam Muslim (rahimahullah) has narrated a similar narration from Hazrat ‘Aamir (rahimahullah) in which Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said the following:

During the Battle of Uhud, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) made special du‘aa for me saying, “Fire the arrow! May my father and mother be sacrificed for you!” There was a man from the disbelievers who had caused great harm to the believers. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to me in regard to this disbeliever, “Fire the arrow! May my father and mother be sacrificed for you!” I thus pulled a sharp arrow that was without a blade at the front. I fired it, hitting him on his side. When the arrow hit him, he fell to the ground and his ‘awrah became exposed. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then smiled until I could see his blessed teeth (out of happiness that the enemy of Islam, who had harmed so many Muslims, had been killed).”

(Saheeh Muslim #2412)

Part Eleven

Guarding Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

Hazrat ‘Aa’ishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) narrates:

After migrating to Madinah Munawwarah, on one occasion, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) could not fall asleep during the night (out of fear that the enemy would attack him). It was then that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “If only there was a pious person to guard me tonight.” While we were in that condition, we heard the sound of weapons. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked, “Who is there?” The person replied, “Sa’d bin Abi Waqqaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked him, “What has brought you here?” Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “I feared for your life, O Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), and so I have come to guard you.” Hearing this, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) made du‘aa for him and thereafter fell asleep.

(Sunan Tirmizi #3756, Fat-hul Baari 6/96)

Hazrat ‘Aa’ishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) narrates:

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would be guarded (by the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum)) until the following verse of the Qur’aan Majeed was revealed:

وَ اللّٰہُ یَعصِمُکَ مِنَ النَّاسِ ؕ

And Allah Ta‘ala will protect you from the (harm of the) people

When the above verse of the Qur’aan Majeed was revealed, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mentioned to the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), “O people! Depart, as Allah Ta‘ala has granted me His divine protection.”

(Sunan Tirmizi #3046)

• 2 weeks later...

Part Twelve

Hazrat Humaid bin ‘Abdir Rahmaan Al-Himyari (rahimahullah) narrates the following from three children of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), all of whom narrate it from their father, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) came to visit Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) when he was sick in Makkah Mukarramah (on the occasion of Hajjatul Wadaa’). After Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had entered, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) began to cry. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked him, “Why are you crying?” Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “I fear that I will pass away in the land from which I had performed Hijrah, as Hazrat Sa’d bin Khawlah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had passed away.”

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then made the following du‘aa for Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thrice, “O Allah! Cure Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)!”

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thereafter asked Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I have abundant wealth, and only my daughter will inherit from me. Can I make a wasiyyat (bequest) for all my wealth (to be given in charity after my demise)?” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied, “No.”

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then asked, “Can I bequest for two-thirds of my wealth (to be given in charity after my demise)?” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied, “No.”

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then asked if he could bequest for half of his wealth to be given in charity after his demise, to which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied in the negative.

Finally, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) asked Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) if he could bequest for one-third of his wealth to be given in charity after his demise. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied, “(You may bequest) one-third, and even one-third is a large amount. Indeed all the charity that you give from your wealth is charity, whatever you spend on your dependants is charity, whatever your wife uses from your wealth is charity, and for you to leave your family in comfort and prosperity is better than for you to leave them stretching their hands before people (begging due to poverty).”

(Saheeh Muslim #1628)

Source: Whatisislam.co.za

• Like 1

Part Thirteen

Du‘aa before the Battle of Uhud

Ishaaq bin Sa’d (rahimahullah), the son of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), narrates the following from his father:

On the day of Uhud, Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Jahsh (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said to Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “Why don’t you come so that we may make du‘aa together?” They thus secluded themselves in a corner and Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) began to make du‘aa. He said, “O Rabb! When the enemy meet us later, make me encounter one of the enemy who is extremely mighty and very determined, I will fight him and he will fight me. Then bless me to overpower him so that I may kill him and take his equipment as spoils of war.”

Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Jahsh (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said Ameen to this du‘aa.

Thereafter, Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Jahsh (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said, “O Allah! Make me meet an enemy later who is extremely mighty and very determined, I will fight him and he will fight me. Then, he will seize me and cut off my nose and my ears. When I meet you on the Day of Qiyaamah, you will ask me, ‘O ‘Abdullah! For what cause were your ears and nose cut?’ I will reply, ‘They were cut for your sake and for the sake of your Rasul (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)!’ You will then reply, ‘You have spoken the truth.’”

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mentioned, “The du‘aa of Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Jahsh (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was better than my du‘aa. I saw him at the end of the day and found his nose and ears cut and threaded together.”

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/70)

Part Fourteen

Caution in Narrating Hadith

There are many Ahaadith narrated from Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). However, whenever he narrated Ahaadith, he exercised a lot of caution, out of fear that he should not wrongfully attribute anything to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). The following incidents illustrate the deep caution that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would exercise:

Hazrat Saa’ib bin Yazid (rahimahullah) narrates that he travelled with Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) from Madinah Munawwarah to Makkah Mukarramah. Saa’ib (rahimahullah) further mentions, “I did not hear him narrate a single Hadith of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) during the journey (due to his caution in narrating Ahaadith from Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)).”

A few people once went to Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and asked him a question. However, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) did not answer them and said, “I fear that if I narrate one Hadith to you, you will make it into a hundred Ahaadith.”

(Tabaqaat ibn Sa’d 3/106)

Part Fifteen

Love for the Ansaar:

Hazrat ‘Aamir (rahimahullah), the son of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), narrates the following:

I once said to my father, “O my beloved father! I notice that you show the tribe of the Ansaar more love and reverence than you show other people (besides the Muhaajireen, as the rank of the Muhaajireen is greater than the Ansaar, and Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was from the Muhaajireen).”

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) asked me, “O my son! Are you unhappy with this?” I replied, “No! However, I am amazed over the manner in which you treat them.”

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then said, “I heard Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mention, ‘Only a true believer will have love for the Ansaar, and only a hypocrite will harbor enmity for the Ansaar.”

(Usdul Ghaabah 2/310)

• 3 weeks later...

Part Sixteen

The Du‘aa of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

Hazrat Qais bin Abi Haazim (rahimahullah) narrates that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mentioned, “Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) made du‘aa saying, ‘O Allah! Accept the du‘aa of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) when he supplicates to you!’”(Sunan Tirmizi #3751)

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was a person of Allah Ta‘ala and a man of justice. If he saw anything wrong then he would correct the situation for the sake of Allah Ta‘ala. He could not bear to witness oppression and tyranny take place. Hence, after stopping a person from wrong, if the person persisted, then he would turn to Allah Ta‘ala and make du‘aa against the person.

Qais bin Abi Haazim (rahimahullah) mentions, “On account of the du‘aa of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), whenever Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would make du‘aa, it would be accepted. The people were well aware of this and thus feared earning the curse of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).”(Usdul Ghaabah 2/308)

Part Seventeen

Allegations of Some People of Kufah:

In the year 21 A.H., some people of Kufah came to Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and laid complaints against Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) who was their governor. Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus dismissed him (from his position as governor, in order to quell the fitnah that the people were attempting to create), and appointed Hazrat ‘Ammaar bin Yaasir (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) in his place.

When these people of Kufah complained about Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), they even complained that he was not performing salaah correctly! Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus called for Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). When he arrived, Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) addressed him with the utmost respect saying, “O Abu Ishaaq (this was the kunyah (filial title) of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu))! Indeed these people are claiming that you do not perform salaah correctly.

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “By Allah! As for myself, then I would perform for them the salaah which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had taught us, without any deficiency.” Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then gave an example of how he emulated the salaah of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mentioning, “When I lead them in the ‘Esha Salaah, I lengthen the first two rakaats and shorten the second two rakaats.” Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “O Abu Ishaaq! That is the exact opinion that I held regarding yourself!”

Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thereafter sent Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) back to Kufah with a few people (in order to investigate the allegations against Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), so that his innocence may be proven and his name cleared). They thus went to every musjid of Kufah and asked the people regarding Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). When questioned, the people had nothing but praise for Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

Finally, they reached a musjid in the district of the Banu ‘Abs tribe. Here a man named Usaamah bin Qataadah, whose kunyah was Abu Sa’dah, stood and said, “Since you have asked me, then Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) does not go out in Jihaad with the army, he does not distribute wealth with equality, and he is not just in his verdicts and decisions.”

Hearing these false allegations, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “By Allah! I will make three du‘aas – O Allah! If this servant of yours is lying, and he has merely stood for fame and recognition, then lengthen his life, extend his poverty, and involve him in fitnah.”

Thereafter, if Usaamah bin Qataadah was asked how he was, he would reply, “I am very old and I am entangled in fitnah. The curse of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) afflicted me.”

One of the narrators of this incident, ‘Abdul Malik, mentions, “I saw him (Usaamah bin Qataadah) afterwards. His eyebrows were drooping over his eyes due to old age, and he was interfering with the young slave girls by prodding and poking them in the street.”

(Saheeh Bukhaari #755)

Note:

We see from the above narration that Usaamah bin Qataadah had laid false allegations against Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and disgraced him before the people. However, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) did not curse him unconditionally. Rather, he exercised caution and justice when cursing him. When cursing him, he suspended the curse on the person being worthy of it, asking Allah to only afflict him if he was deliberately lying.

Usaamah bin Qataadah laid three allegations against Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). The first pertained to his personal self by accusing him of cowardice, and so Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) cursed him with a long life. The second accusation was regarding wealth, and so Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) cursed him with poverty. The third accusation was an accusation pertaining to Deen, as he said that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) did not perform Salaah correctly, and so Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) cursed him in Deen by making du‘aa that he become entangled in fitnah.

The above explanations have been taken from Fat-hul Baari 2/276-281.

Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) knew that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was innocent. However, to close the doors of fitnah, he replaced Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) with Hazrat ‘Ammaar bin Yaasir (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Imaam Maalik (rahimahullah) has mentioned, “Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) dismissed Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) whereas he was the most just of all the governors who would come after him until Qiyaamah.” Fat-hul Baari 2/281

Hence, shortly before passing away, Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) formed a Shura (council) of six Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) who were worthy of the khilaafah after him. These six Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) were Hazrat ‘Uthmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat Talhah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat Zubair (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat ‘Abdur Rahmaan bin ‘Auf (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had explained that he selected these six Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) as Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was most pleased with them at the time of his demise.

Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) mentioned that these six Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) should decide among themselves as to who would be the Khalifah. He had also included his respected son, Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma), in the Shura, and gave instructions that he would not be appointed as Khalifah, but would assist them in nominating the Khalifah.

At the time of including Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) in the Shura, Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) declared the innocence of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) saying, “The person who they appoint will be the Khalifah after me, even if Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is appointed. If Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is not appointed as Khalifah, then the Khalifah after me should ensure that he seeks assistance from Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), as I did not dismiss him from the governorship of Kufah due to any shortcoming or betrayal on his part.” Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/74

Part Eighteen

Allah Ta‘ala had blessed Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) by allowing the conquer of ‘Iraq to take place at his hands. It was the armies under his command that defeated the Romans in Qaadisiyyah. However, Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) could not personally lead the army in this specific battle, as he was ill and sores had broken out across his entire body, and so he informed the people of his illness and excused himself from joining them in fighting against the kuffaar.

After the battle was over, a person, despite knowing the predicament of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), began to criticize him and tried to spur people against him through reciting the following poetry:

ألم تر أن الله أنزل نصره      وسعد بباب القادسية معصم

Do you not see that Allah Ta‘ala has sent down His assistance, while Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) is safely guarded (through not fighting) at the door of Qaadisiyyah?

فأبنا وقد آمت نساء كثيرة      ونسوة سعد ليس فيهن أيم

We are returning while many of our wives have become widows, and there is no widow among the wives of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

When Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) heard the poetry in which this person was falsely accusing him of being cowardly and refraining from fighting without any excuse, he made du‘aa saying, “O Allah! Cut his tongue and hand on my behalf!”

Soon thereafter, an arrow struck his mouth, rendering him dumb, after which his hand was cut off while fighting. This person was later on killed by the disbelievers.

(Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/72, Majma‘uz Zawaa’id #14856)

Part Nineteen

Hazrat Sa‘eed bin Musayyib (rahimahullah) narrates:

A certain person was once speaking ill of Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat Talhah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat Zubair (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Seeing that this person was speaking ill of the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) immediately tried to stop him saying, “Do not speak ill of my brothers!” However, the person refused to desist.

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus stood, performed two rakaats of salaah, and made du‘aa against this person who was speaking ill of the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum). Shortly thereafter, a camel arrived, pushing its way through the people. The camel seized this person and trapped him between its chest and the ground, crushing him to death.

Hazrat Sa‘eed (rahimahullah) concludes saying, “I then saw the people walking behind Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) saying, ‘Congratulations, O Abu Ishaaq! Your du‘aa was accepted (in defense of the Sahaabah)!’”

(Siyar min A’laam min Nubalaa 3/73)

• Like 1

Part Twenty

The Justice and Compassion of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Hazrat Jareer (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) once passed by Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) during the period when Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was governor over Kufah. Seeing Hazrat Jareer (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) asked him regarding Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Hazrat Jareer (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) gave the following reply:

“I left him in his position of rule as the most noble of people in authority and power, and the person who is least hard-hearted. He is like a devoted mother to his subjects, working for them just as an ant works tirelessly for its colony. He is the person who is most firm against wrong and oppression, and he is among the most beloved of the Quraish to the people.”

(Isaabah 3/64)

• 3 weeks later...

Part Twenty One

Demise:

There is a difference of opinion regarding the year in which Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away.

After recording the different views, Haafiz ibn Hajar ‘Asqalaani (rahimahullah) has mentioned that the most famous and well known view is that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away in the year 56 A.H. (Isaabah 3/62)

Haafiz Mizzi (rahimahullah) has preferred the view that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away in the year 55 A.H. ‘Allaamah Zahabi (rahimahullah) has expressed this to be the correct view. (Tahzeeb-ul-Kamaal 10/313, Siyar A’laam min Nibalaa 3/77)

There is also a difference of opinion regarding the age of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) at the time of his demise. Hazrat Ebrahim bin Sa’d (rahimahullah) has narrated that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was 82 years old when he passed away. (Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/78)

Some of the other views are that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was 73, 74 or 82 years old at the time of his demise. (Tahzeeb-ul-Kamaal 10/314)

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was the last of the ‘Asharah Mubasharah to pass away. Similarly, he was the last of the Muhaajireen to pass away. (Tahzeeb-ul-Kamaal 10/314, Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/77)

When Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was close to passing away, he called for an old, woolen jubbah and instructed those present saying, “Bury me in this jubbah, for I encountered the disbelievers during the Battle of Badr while I was wearing this jubbah. I only kept this jubbah so that I could be enshrouded in it when I pass away.” (Siyar A’laam min Nubalaa 3/77)

Hazrat Mus‘ab bin Sa’d (rahimahullah), the son of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), narrates the following: My father’s head was in my lap when he was close to passing away. At that time, tears began to flow from my eyes. Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) noticed this and asked me, “O my beloved son! What causes you to cry?” I replied, “I am crying due to your condition and that which I see befalling you (i.e. I am crying because you are about to pass away).” Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “Do not cry over me, for Allah Ta‘ala will never punish me, and I am from the people of Jannah (as mentioned by Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in his mubaarak Hadith, and I have full hope in the words of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) that Allah Ta‘ala will not punish me and will admit me into paradise). Indeed Allah Ta‘ala deals with the believers according to their good deeds which were performed for His sake. As for the disbelievers, then Allah Ta‘ala decreases their punishment on account of their good deeds. Once their good deeds are depleted, Allah Ta‘ala announces, ‘Every person who carried out a good deed should seek his reward from the one for whose sake he performed the deed.’” (Tabaqaat ibn Sa’d 3/108-109)

The daughter of Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat ‘Aa’ishah (rahimahallah), has mentioned that Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) left 250 000 dirhams in his estate. (Taareekh-ul-Islam 4/220)

Hazrat Sa’d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away in his home in ‘Aqeeq, a place 10 miles from Madinah Munawwarah. He was then carried to Madinah Munawwarah where the governor, Marwaan bin Hakam, performed his Janaazah Salaah. (Tabaqaat ibn Sa’d 3/110)