IslamicTeachings.org

Fitrana (Sadaqatul-Fit’r) for Britain for Ramadhan 1438

ColonelHardstone

• Dawah Team

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh (Peace, Blessings & Mercy of Allah be upon You).

This statement is being issued on the 01st of May 2017  and supersedes all previous statements on the subject.

This ruling is based on the
Hanafi Madhab
which is followed by a large number of Muslims in Britain. There are variances in the calculations for other Schools of Jurisprudence, please contact your local Mosque for details.
It is our opinion that £2.00/per person should sufficiently discharge the obligation of Fitrana for Ramadhan 1438 (2017).

Read full Press Release

• Like 1

• Dawah Team

Frequently Asked Questions?

What is the amount which you have set for United Kingdom?

We deem
Fitrana
/
Fidya
to be £2.00 per person for Ramadhan 1438 (2017).

When should I pay it?

Fitrana should be discharged ideally after Ramadhan has started and before Subh-Sadiq (true dawn) on the day of Eidul-Fitr. Since the purpose is to benefit the poor, it is ideal to pay it before the actual Eid prayers. It is even better to ensure that the funds reach the needy before Eidul-Fitr and in advance for them to make good use of the donations.

Where did you conduct your research for obtaining the prices for this press release?

We conducted our research and checked the prices in London, Leicester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Cardiff, Blackburn, Batley, Dewsbury and Glasgow.

How did you then reach the decision of setting the rates for United Kingdom?

We looked at the highest (retail) price for Wheat across all the cities in our research, took the price of £1.18/KG and then multiplied it by 1.667 KG. We then rounded the figure to £2.00.

Have you looked at and reviewed the research of other British Ulama on the topic?

Alhumdolillah, there is good work and cooperation between Scholars in our country. We have shared our findings with our Ulama and they have shared their findings with us. Scholars may have differences (of opinions) but we all work together for the benefit of British Muslims.

I don’t live in United Kingdom but can I use your Fitrana?

No, we recommend that you consult your local Scholars and seek their advice. Local research in the country of your residence should be conducted, you can use the template as the basis of your research.

What if I wish to pay with the actual grain rather than the cash equivalent?

The actual calculations are based on Grain so your obligation will be discharged and it will be superior. In United Kingdom it is hard to find people who accept Grain (instead of Cash) but if you have found an organisation or individuals who deal in (actual) Grain, please proceed.

Why have you set the amount to be so low? Why didn’t you use a higher estimate?

Fitrana is used not only for Ramadhan but also for Fidya. Therefore, the needs of individual vary and we cannot set exorbitantly high amounts as it may cause undue hardship.

What is the primary factor in some communities having a Fitrana which is much lower than yours?

There is a difference of opinion amongst Ulama if wheat flour or (actual) wheat grain should be used for Fitrana. This year after extensive discussions with Scholars, we have opted to use wheat (grain) for the determination of Fitrana to avoid confusion for the Muslims in Britain.

We have adopted the opinion of our colleagues and contemporaries although we still believe that using wheat (flour) instead of what (grain) is the better opinion. British Muslims primarily use wheat (flour) in their households and not many families buy wheat (grain) and then grind it into flour.

It is also possible that in some localities in Britain the price for wheat grain is significantly cheaper. We have attempted to address the issue at a National level.

What is the primary factor in some communities having a Fitrana which is much higher than yours?

In addition to the difference highlighted above, Ulama have also differed upon the weight of ½ Saa.  The estimates of Ulama range from 1.106 KG to 2.32 KG. It is possible that Ulama in other communities have opted for a higher value.

Why do Ulama differ in interpreting the weight of ½ Saa or 1 Saa?

½ Saa  or 1 Saa is a measurement of a container (i.e. three dimensional space or volume). Imagine that you were asked to fill a box with wheat and then another person was asked to fill a box with wheat. If the sizes of the boxes are different, the volume of wheat in each container will be different. Today, we measure wheat in weight and we know what 1 KG or 100 KG of wheat means. The honourable and respected Ulama interpret the volume (of the container) used in the blessed times of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon Him) differently therefore the weight (of grain) inside the container is also interpreted differently.

Does the price for wheat differ siginificantly in Britain?

Yes. We found the wholesale price for 20 KG to be around 0.60/KG but wheat (grain) is not a high volume (sale item) within the Muslim community. Retailers add a profit margin depending on the location and sale opportunity.It is the retail price which needs to be considered for calculations.

Why didn't you adopt 2.32 KG for ½ Saa as it is the highest value for caution?

In our opinion it is too high and ½ Saa cannot be equal to 2.32 KG. We understand the respect the opinion of Ulama who have adopted this opinion but we deem it to be high. We cannot adopt a value simply because it happens to be the highest value, there has to be a valid Shariah reason for the weight. Moreover, since Fitrana is also Fidya we believe that setting it too high may cause unnecessary hardship.

What will happen if I (still) choose to use wheat (flour) to pay my Fitrana?

We believe that using wheat flour (instead of) wheat (grain) for the determination of Fitrana is permissible, therefore your obligation will be discharged.

What will happen if I choose to use the cheapest flour price which is locally available to me?  

Your obligation will be discharged.

I think that your estimates are too low and it should be higher, what should I do?

Fitrana is given on wheat (flour), wheat (grain), barley, raisins and dates. Masha’Allah, if Allah Ta’ala has given you (financial) abundance, use the most expensive dates and you should pay your Fitrana using it as a financial estimate.

• Dawah Team
Endorsements
  1. (Shaykhul-Hadeeth) Ayub Bande Ilahi
  2. (Maulana) Marghgoob Ahmed Lajpuri
  3. (Mufti) Yusuf Sacha
  4. (Mufti) Ismail Kacholvi
  5. (Mufti) Musa Badat
  6. (Mufti) Zubair Dudha
  7. (Qari) Muhammad Shoyaib Nurgat
  8. (Mufti) Mohammed Ashfaq
  9. (Mufti) Zakariyya Akudi
  10. (Maulana) Yusuf Mama
  11. (Mufti) Yusuf Danka
  12. (Mufti) Amjad Mohammed
  13. (Qadhi) Imran Sayed
  14. (Maulana) Ahmad Sarkar
  15. (Mufti) Amin Pandor
  16. (Maulana) Hashim Sacha
  17. (Maulana) Mohammed Saeed Mulla
  18. (Maulana) Hashim Rawat
  19. (Maulana) Yusuf Akudi
  20. (Maulana) Suliman Bodiyat
  21. (Maulana) Shabbir Seedat
  22. (Maulana) Abdul-Hai Seedat
  23. (Maulana) Musa Gora
  24. (Maulana) Mushtaq Balakhdi
  25. (Mufti) Javed Pathan
  26. (Mufti) Abidur-Rahman Molvi
  27. (Maulana) Abdul-Awwal Molvi
  28. (Maulana) Mohammed Farook Kazi
  29. (Maulana) Imran Lunat
  30. (Maulana) Afzal Wali Mulla
  31. (Maulana) Sulaiman Makda
  32. (Maulana) Tariq Mahmood
  33. (Maulana) Fareed Patel
  34. (Maulana) Iftikhar Hussain
  35. (Maulana) Yousaf Baig
  36. (Maulana) Sohail Bawa
  37. (Maulana) Habibullah Munshi
  38. (Maulana) Suliman Gani
  39. (Maulana) Irfan Soni
  40. (Maulana) Ibraheem Patel
  41. (Maulana) Arif Polli
  42. (Maulana) Imtiaz Kamal
  43. (Maulana) Amin Sadak
  44. (Maulana) Nausarka
  45. Widely circulated, reviewed and endorsed by many other British Scholars.