SOME VIRTUES OF WUDHU.

‘Uqbah bin “Aamir (RA) said that I heard Nabi (SAW) saying, “There are two men from amongst my followers, one of them gets up during the night and forces himself into cleanliness, showing complexes of discouragement and evil counsels of Satan. He performs ablution, but he has knots tied upon him. When he washes his hands, a knot is opened up and when he washes his face, another knot is opened and when he wipes his head, another knot is opened and when he washes his feet, another knot is opened. Allah then addresses the angels behind the veil saying, “look at this devotee of mine who is forcing himself in order to ask of My Favours. Whatever this devotee of mine desires, I will grant it to him.” (Ahmad, Ibne Hibbaan, Tabraani)

In the above Hadith, the Nabi (SAW) informs us of two kinds of believers. One kind fights himself, his passions and his pleasure and gets up during the night to cleanse himself in order to worship Allah and ask of His favours. When this devotee gets up, he gets rid of the ropes of Satan as well as of his complexes and evil counsels; he also escapes from the illusions of the soul which orders wrongdoing, pushing its holder into sleep instead of awakening. Satan makes this person lazy instead if him standing before Allah. When this devotee gets up, performs ablution and then asks Allah, his request is responded to and he is relieved from sadness.

In the same meaning, Nabi (SAW) says, “When one of you sleeps, the Satan ties three ties at the back of his head and says for each tie: have a long night, so slumber. When he wakes up and mentions Allah, one of these ties is unravelled. When he performs ablution, another tie is unravelled and when he establishes prayer, all of the ties are unravelled and he becomes alert and pleasant, otherwise, he becomes wicked hearted and lazy. (Maalik, Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Nasaai)

Abu Hurairah (RA) relates that Nabi (SAW) said, “When a Mu’min or Muslim servant of Allah performs ablution and he washes his face, the sins which the eye committed by looking are washed off with the water or with the last drop of water. When he washes his hands, the sins which were committed because of the touch of the hands are washed away with the water or with the last drop of water. When he washes his feet, the sins which were committed by the walking of the feet are washed off with the water or with the last drop of water until he comes out from that ablution cleansed from every sin (minor). (Muslim)

Abdullah As-Sanaabihi narrates that Nabi (SAW) said, “When a servant makes Wudhu and washes his mouth, the sins committed by his mouth are washed out. When he cleans his nose, the sins are cleansed from his nose. When he washed his hands, the sins of his face are washed off, even from under the eyelids. When he washes his hands, the sins of his hands are washed off, even from beneath the nails of his hands. When he wipes his head, the sins from his head come off, even from his ears. When he washes his feet, the sins of his feet are washed off, even from under his toe nails. Then his walking to the Masjid and prayers are rewarded separately. (Nasaai, Ibn Majah, Haakim and he says that it is correct according to the conditions of Bukhari and Muslim)

Othman bin ‘Affan (RA) narrates that Nabi (SAW) said, “Whoever performs a perfect Wudhu, the sins are washed off from his body to such an extent they even come out from beneath his nails.

In another narration, Uthmaan (RA) made Wudhu and said, ‘I saw Nabi (SAW) made Wudhu the way I made Wudhu and then He (SAW) said, ‘Whoever makes Wudhu like this, his previous sins (minor) will be forgiven and his Salaah and walking to the Masjid will be rewarded separately. (Muslim, Nasaai)

Ibn Umar (RA) narrates in the episode when Jibreel (AS) came to Nabi (SAW) to ask him Some Questions regarding Islam. Nabi (SAW) answered, ‘Islam is to testify that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah and to establish Salaah and to discharge Zakaah and to perform the Hajj and Umrah and to take a complete bath from Major impurities and to complete the Wudhu and to fast in the month of Ramadhaan.’ He (AS) then asked, ‘if I do these acts, am I then a Muslim?’ He (SAW) replied, ‘Yes’. (Ibne Khuzaimah)

Abu Hurairah (RA) relates that Nabi (SAW) went to the graveyard and greeted, ‘Peace be upon you O abode of the believers and surely if Allah wills, we will join you. I wished if we could see our brothers.’ When Nabi (SAW) said these words, his companions asked, ‘Are we not your brothers O Nabi of Allah?’ Nabi (SAW) replied, ‘You are My companions and our brothers are those who did not come as yet.’ The companions asked, ‘How will you recognize those who did not come as yet from your Ummat O Nabi of Allah?’ Nabi (SAW) replied, ‘Do you not see that a person who has a horse with some white on its forehead and hooves, will he not recognize his horse if it is standing next to a pitch black horse?’ They replied, “Yes O Nabi of Allah’. Nabi (SAW) then said, ‘certainly they will come with their limbs shining because of Wudhu and I will be receiving them by the Hawz-e-Kawthar. (Muslim)

Abu Hurairah (RA) says, ‘I heard Nabi (SAW) saying, ‘the ornaments of Jannah will worn on the places of Wudhu. (Ibne Khuzaimah)

Abu Hurairah (RA) says, ‘I heard Nabi (SAW) saying, ‘the believer will wear the ornaments of Jannah on the limbs of Wudhu.’ (Muslim)

Abu Hurairah (RA) narrates that Nabi (SAW) asked, ‘should I not inform you of such an action which if done, Allah will wipe out the sins and will elevate the person in stages? The companions replied, ‘Certainly O Nabi of Allah.’ Nabi (SAW) said, ‘Performing an excellent Wudhu despite of difficulties, excessive footsteps to the Masjid and waiting for the Salaah after Salaah. That is guarding the boundaries! That is guarding the boundaries!’ (Muslim) (These actions are referred to as guarding the boundaries, because it will guard its companion from disobeying Allah)

Ali (RA) says that Nabi (SAW) said, “whoever makes complete Wudhu in spite of it being extremely cold, he will receive two rewards.’ (Tabraani)

Ibn Umar (RA) says that Nabi (SAW) used to say, ‘Whoever performs Wudhu upon Wudhu, he will receive ten rewards.’ (Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, Ibne Majah)

Abdullah bin Buraidah narrates from his father (RA) who said, ‘One day Nabi (SAW) awoke and he called Bilal (RA) and asked him, ‘O Bilal why have you succeeded me in Jannah? Certainly I entered  Jannah last night and heard your footsteps in front of Me.’ Bilal (RA) said, ‘O Nabi of Allah, whenever I called the Azaan, I performed two Rak’aats of Salaah after it (the Azaan) and whenever I broke my Wudhu, I immediately made a new Wudhu.’ Nabi (SAW) then said, ‘it is because of this.’ (Ibne Khuzaimah)

Umar bin Khattab (RA) narrates that Nabi (SAW) said, ‘There is no one of you who performs a perfect Wudhu, then he says Ash Hadu an laa Ilaaha Illal lahu Wahdahu laa Shareeka lahu wa Ash Hadu anna Muhammadan ‘Abduhu wa Rasooluhu except that the eight doors of Jannah are opened up for him and he may enter through any door he desires. (Muslim)

Abu Sa’eed Al Khudri (RA) says that Nabi (SAW) said, ‘Whoever reads Surah Kahaf, on the day of Reckoning, he will have Noor from his place until Makkah and whoever reads the last ten verses of Surah Kahaf and Dajjal comes out, Dajjal will not harm him and whoever makes Wudhu then says, ‘Subhanakal laa humma wa bi Hamdika, Ashhadu an laa Ilaaha illa anta, Astaghfiruka wa Atubu ilaik, these words will be written on a piece of paper and thereafter sealed up and this seal will not be broken until the day of reckoning.’ (Tabraani, Nasaai)

‘Uqbah bin ‘Aamir (RA) said that Nabi (SAW) said, ‘there is no person who makes a perfect Wudhu, then he performs two Rak’aats of Salaah with complete devotion and humility except that Paradise becomes Waajib for him.’ (Muslim)  

Zaid bin Khalid Al-Juhani (RA) narrates that Nabi (SAW) said, ‘whoever performs a complete Wudhu then thereafter prays two Rak’aats of Salaah without any negligence, all of his previous sins (minor) will be forgiven. (Abu-Dawood)

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Nezaam bin Yahya Ali

Attested to as correct by:

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah

Springs

www.mahmoodiyah.org.za

[email protected]