IslamicTeachings.org

Women honoured in the Qur'an & Hadith

ummtaalib

Khawlah's Story

She was the daughter of Tha’labah ibn Asram ibn Fahr and was married to Aws ibn Saamit. This lucky lady is mentioned in the Qur’an in Suratul Mujaadilah...I have mentioned her in the poem “Read! O Muminah” so I thought I would elaborate on her story.

It has been reported regarding Umar RA that once while he was out with some people they passed by an old woman with whom he started a conversation. A man said to him, “O Ameerul Mu’mimneen! You have brought to a halt the people due to this old woman?” He replied, “Woe be to you! Do you even know who she is? She is the woman whose complaint Allah the Almighty heard above the seven skies. This is Khawlah bint Tha’labah regarding whom Allah revealed, ‘Indeed Allah has heard the statement of her (Khawlah bint Tha’labah) that disputes with you (O Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam), and complains to Allah...(Al Mujaadilah)’. By Allah! Even if she stood till night I would not leave but for salaah then I would return”

In the days of ignorance a wife would become unlawful for her husband by means of “zihaar” (In disagreement a man saying that she was unlawful upon him as his mother’s back and this in effect was adivorce). The first amongst the Muslims to carry out such an act was Aws ibn Saamit RA who was known to suffer from a slight mental derangement. He was married to his cousin Khawlah bint Tha’labah to whom he once said, “You are unlawful upon me as my mother’s back.” He then regretted his utterance. Khawlah approached the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam saying, “O Prophet of Allah! You know Aws, the father of my children, my cousin and the most beloved to me. You are also aware of his mental state and he has uttered a statement. I swear by He Who has revealed unto you Al-Kitaab, he did not mention divorce but said ‘You are unlawful upon me as my mother’s back’”.

The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam replied, “I do not see but that you remain unlawful upon him.” However Khawlah disputed this with him over and over again. She then said, “O Allah! I complain to You of my intense love and how difficult upon me is his separation. O Allah! Reveal unto Your Prophet’s tongue in what there is relief for me”

‘Aisha, the wife of the Prophet sallallaahu‘alayhi wasallam, said that Khawlah cried and whoever was around her also cried in pity. While in this state a revelation came down upon the Prophet sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam (they waited as his face became pale and ashen with sweat trickling down like pearls). ‘Aisha said that it seemed that Khawlah’s soul would depart before the revelation was completed in the fear that the order of separation was about to be revealed when finally the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam said with a smile, “O Khawlah!” She replied, “Labbayk!” and stood up in happiness at seeing his smile. He said, “Allah has revealed regarding you and him” and thereafter recited the verses. He then explained how her husband would have to pay ca penalty before she became lawful to him.

And this is the beautiful story of Khawlah bint Tha’labah whose complain was heard above the seven skies! In this I have found great lessons...why complain to anyone but Allah the Almighty in Whose controls are the hearts of all men? Why give up and become despondent when there is the Merciful Lord watching over us? Is it not He Who has destined for us every situation, so why not reap rewards by adopting patience and turning to Him?

• Like 2

Laws of Inheritance

Hadhrat Sa’d (RA) and his father, Hadhrat Rabee (RA), were two companions of Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) from the Ansaar who were martyred as they protected Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) during the Battle of Uhud. Hadhrat Jameela (RA) the daughter of Hadhrat Sa’d (RA) was not yet born at the time. Her mother then came to Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) saying, “Sa’d’s brothers have taken away all the inheritance and have left nothing for me and my two daughters.”

It was then that Allaah revealed the laws of inheritance, which stipulated shares for the wives and daughters. Before Islaam, there was not a single nation or religion that stipulated shares in the estate for women. The mother of Hadhrat Jameela (RA) therefore became the cause for the revelation of the verses of inheritance.

Being the child of a pious mother and father, Hadhrat Jameela (RA) was also a person with great qualities. She was well versed in the knowledge of Fiqh and inheritance and had also memorised the entire Qur'aan. She taught the Qur'aan to her children together with the circumstances of revelation. Her children were therefore proficient in the knowledge of Deen and, together with them, many other students also flocked to her. Amongst her children was Hadhrat Khaarija bin Zaid (RA), who was one of the seven eminent Qurraa of Madinah.  

Madrasah in Just 5 Minutes

Translation edited by

Mufti A.H.Elias-May Allaah protect him
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

'Aisha's RA Chastity & Purity Proved

MADINAH-AL-MUNAWARRA, THE CITY OF THE PROPHET saws.gif, IS ABUZZ with rumors. Ever since the Muslims returned from the battle of Bani al-Mustaliq the hypocrites have been busy spreading lies against Aisha radi-Allahu anha. These stories have become the topic of every gathering, the subject of discussion in every household in Madinah. Though most of the sincere Muslims are confident in the innocence of Aisha radi-Allahu anha, they are still quiet, waiting for this to be ascertained by the Prophetsaws.gif. The Prophetsaws.gif is also quiet, waiting for Allah to inspire him towards the truth. Thus, the hypocrites led by Abdullah bin Ubayy bin Salool have advantage over the seemingly confusing situation and gear all their energies in spreading the lies. Unsuspectingly influenced by the hypocrites' rampage, a few Muslim thus begin to believe this false story. Some of these Muslims even actively help propagate it.

Among them is Mistah bin Uthatha radi-Allahu anhu, a cousin of Abu Bakr radi-Allahu anhu. He is an extremely poor man with no money except that which Abu Bakr radi-Allahu anhu regularly gives him. Mistah's endorsement of the hypocrites' story adds somewhat more weight to it, as he is a man with a fine reputation. It can be no longer said that belief in this story is limited to the circle of hypocrites.

And so a trying and gruesome month passes before Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala reveals the innocence of Aisha radi-Allahu anha. The Muslims finally exhale a sigh of relief and a sense of normalcy returns to Madinah.

Hurt and angered by Mistah's previous allegations, Abu Bakr takes an oath that he will never spend on Mistah again....

More on Abu Bakr RA's hurt Here

Related verses in the Qur'an: Sura An-Noor:11-21

• Like 1

Zainab bint Jahsh R.A given in Marriage by Allah ta'ala Himself

Hadhrat Zaynab bint Jahash (RA) was the sister of Hadhrat Abdullaah bin Jahash (RA). She had been divorced from Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam)’s freed slave Hadhrat Zaid bin Haaritha (RA), after which several verses of the Qur'aan were revealed about her and instructing Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) to marry her. In fact, even the laws of Hijaab were revealed with reference to her. She had the honour of having her marriage announced in the Qur'aan, which is to be recited by all Muslims until the Day of Qiyaamah. She was acquainted with handicrafts, engaged in Ibaadah excessively, fasted very often and greatly assisted the poor. She had also narrated many Ahadeeth. She was the first of Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam)’s wives to pass away after him in the year 13 A.H. She is also buried in Jannatul Baqee. 

Mufti A.H.Elias-May Allaah protect him

Full Story

She was the Prophet Mohammad’s (صلى الله عليه وسلم) cousin. She was first given in marriage by the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) to his adopted son Hadhrat Zaid bin Harithah (Radhiyallaho anho). When Hadhrat Zaid (Radhiyallaho anho) divorced her, she was married to the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) by command of Allah, as mentioned in Surah Al Ahzab. This took place in 5 A.H., at that time she was 35. She was therefore born 17 years before Nubuwwat. She was always proud of the fact that, the other wives while all the other wives were given in marriage to the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) by their guardians, it was Allah Himself Who did this for her.

When Hadhrat Zaid (Radhiyallaho anho) divorced her and she had completed her Iddat, the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) sent the proposal to her. She said: “I cannot say anything until I have consulted my Allah.” She performed Wudhu, said two rakaat of Salaat, and prayed to Allah: “O, Allah! Thy Prophet proposes to marry me. If I am fit for the honor, then give me in his marriage.” Allah answered her prayer by revealing the following verse to the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) :

“So when Zaid had performed the necessary formality (of divorce) from her, we gave her unto thee in marriage, so that (henceforth) there may be no sin for believers in respect of the wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have performed the necessary formality (of release) from them. The Commandment of Allah must be fulfilled.” (XXXIII:37)

When she received the good news about this revelation, she prostrated before Allah in thanksgiving. Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) arranged a big feast of Walimah for this marriage. A goat was slaughtered and mutton-curry with bread was served to the guests. People came in groups, and were served till all of them were fed.

Hadhrat Zainab (Radhiyallaho anha) had a very large heart for spending in the way of Allah. She earned by working with her hands and spent all “her earnings in charity. It was about her that the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) prophesied:

“My wife with long hands will be the first to meet me after my death.” The wives took this to mean the physical length of arms and began to measure their hands with a stick. The hands of Hadhrat Saudah (Radhiyallaho anha) came out to be the longest by measurement. But when Hadhrat Zainab (Radhiyallaho anha) died first, the meaning of the metaphor used by the Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) dawned upon them. She fasted very often. She died in 20 and ‘Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) led the funeral service. She fifty at the time of her death.

Source

• Like 1

'Aisha's RA lost necklace and the Blessing of Tayammum

<< and if you are ill, or on a journey, or one of you comes from the Gha'it (toilet), or from Lamastum (touching) women, but you do not find water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth, rubbing your face and hands. Truly, Allah is Ever Oft-Pardoning, Oft-Forgiving. >> Qur'an 4:43

Al-Bukhari recorded that `A'ishah said,

"We set out with Allah's Messenger on one of his journeys until we reached Al-Bayda' or Dhat-ul-Jaysh, where a necklace of mine was broken (and lost). Allah's Messenger stayed there to search for it, and so did the people along with him. There was no water source or any water with them at that place, so the people went to Abu Bakr As-Siddiq and said, `Don't you see what `A'ishah has done! She has made Allah's Messenger and the people stay where there is no source of water and they have no water with them.' Abu Bakr came while Allah's Messenger was sleeping with his head on my thigh. He said to me, `You have detained Allah's Messenger and the people where there is no source of water and they have no water with them.' So he admonished me and said what Allah wished him to say and hit me on my flank with his hand. Nothing prevented me from moving (because of pain) but the position of Allah's Messenger on my thigh.

Allah's Messenger got up when dawn broke and there was no water. So Allah revealed the verses of Tayammum, and they all performed Tayammum. Usayd bin Hudayr said, `O the family of Abu Bakr! This is not the first blessing of yours.' Then the camel on which I was riding was moved from its place and the necklace was found beneath it.'' Al-Bukhari and Muslim recorded this Hadith.

Source

Description of Taymmum

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Aasiyaa bint Mazaahim, the wife of Pharaoh

There are some women whose resolve you can’t shake. They are strengthened by Allah and submit to nothing except for him. And so even the greatest tyrant cannot break them or make them give up their faith. Aasiya the wife of Firaun was one such woman.

Her strength and her status will forever remain an example for all of mankind. She was a woman who never allowed herself to be defined or limited by her painful circumstances. Instead, she carried in her such a deep faith and knowledge of who she really was that she was willing to die for what she believed in. It was perhaps for this reason that the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w mentioned her as one of the greatest women of all time. Yasmin Mogahed

وَضَرَبَ اللَّهُ مَثَلًا لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا امْرَأَتَ فِرْعَوْنَ إِذْ قَالَتْ رَبِّ ابْنِ لِي عِنْدَكَ بَيْتًا فِي الْجَنَّةِ وَنَجِّنِي مِنْ فِرْعَوْنَ وَعَمَلِهِ وَنَجِّنِي مِنَ الْقَوْمِ الظَّالِمِينَ

And Allah citeth an example for those who believe: the wife of Pharaoh when she said:

My Lord! Build for me a home with thee in the Garden,

and deliver me from Pharaoh and his work, and deliver me from evildoing folk [Quran 66:11]

The Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said:

“The men who attain perfection are many, but there are no woman who have attained perfection apart from Aasiyah the wife of Pharaoh and Maryam bint ‘Imraan,

and the superiority of ‘Aa’ishah over all other women is like the superiority of thareed over all other foods.”

[bukhaari and Muslim]

It is recorded in the books of Tafseer and Hadith that Aasiyah (the wife of Fir’own) and Maryam (the mother of Isa- alayhis salaam-) will be amongst the wives of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) in Jannah.

Hafidh Ibn Katheer (Rahimahullah) has stated that Aasiyah and Maryam will be the wives of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) in Jannah, under the commentary of the verse:

عَسَى رَبُّهُ إِنْ طَلَّقَكُنَّ أَنْ يُبْدِلَهُ أَزْوَاجًا خَيْرًا مِنْكُنَّ مُسْلِمَاتٍ مُؤْمِنَاتٍ قَانِتَاتٍ تَائِبَاتٍ عَابِدَاتٍ سَائِحَاتٍ ثَيِّبَاتٍ وَأَبْكَارًا

It is hoped that, if he divorces you, Allah will give him in your place wives better than you, submissive to Allah, believing, devout, penitent, steadfast in worship, fasting, previously married and virgins. (Sura Tahreem: 5)

The word (ثَيِّبَاتٍpreviously married) refers to Aasiyah and the word (وَأَبْكَارًا virgins) refers to Maryam (Alayhimas salaam). (Tafseer Ibni Katheer, vol 4, pg 501 & 507, Idara Al-Masajid)

Allamah Ali bin Abi Bakr Al-Haythami (Rahimahullah) has recorded the following Hadith:

وعن أبي أمامة قال : سمعت النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم يقول لعائشة :  أشعرت أن الله قد زوجني في الجنة مريم بنت عمران وكلثم أخت موسى وامرأة فرعون  رواه الطبراني وفيه خالد بن يوسف السمتي وهو ضعيف

“Abu Umamah (Radiyallahu anhu) reports: I heard Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) saying to Ayisha (Radiyallaahu anha): Did you know that Allah Ta’ala has married me in Jannah to Maryam (the daughter of Imran), Kulthum (the sister of Musa) and the wife of Fir’own (Asiyah)” (Majma’ Al-Zawaaid, vol 9, pg 218, Maktaba Al-Qudsi)

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Talha Desai,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Leader of the Women in Jannah and the position of Aisha (RA)

Q. 1) Who will be the Leader of the Women of Jannah insha Allah?

2) Is A’ishah considered with the four greatest women (Maryam, Khadijah, Fatimah and Asiyah [ra])? Or does she hold a seperate position of excellence all on her own?

A. According to authentic narrations, Fatimah (RA), the daughter of the Prophet (SAS) will be the leader of the women in Jannah. In this regard, it is narrated by Aisha (RA) that when the Prophet (SAS) told Fatima that he thinks that his time is coming close to an end, Fatima (RA) began to weep. Upon this, the Prophet (SAS) said to her, ‘O Fatima, are you not pleased that you will be the leader of the women in paradise’. (Bukhari, Muslim). In another tradition, Huzaifaa (RA) narrates that the Prophet (SAS) stated that he received the glad tidings from an angel that Fatima will be the leader of the women in Paradise, and Hasan and Husain will be the leaders of the youths in Paradise. (Tirmizi)

With respect to Aisha (RA), she holds an honorable position of excellence on her own, even though she is not from the four greatest women like Maryam, Khadijah, Fatimah and Asiyah.

With respect to her excellence, Qasim bin Muhammad narrates that Aisha (RA) said, ‘I have been given more virtues than the other wives on ten things’. It was asked, ‘What are they, O Mother of the believers’. She said, ‘The Prophet (SAS) did not marry any other virgin but me. He did not marry a woman whose parents were both Muhajreen (immigrants) except me. Allah revealed many verses (of the Quran) from the heavens regarding my innocence (in the case of the slander made against me). Jibraeel (AS) brought my portrayal from the heaven in silk and said to the Prophet (SAS), ‘marry her, she will be your wife’. He and I used to bathe from the same vessel, and he did not do that with any of his wives except me. The revelation would come to him while he was with me, and it did not come down when he was with any of his wives except me. Allah took his soul while he was against my chest. He died on the night when it was my turn, and he was buried in my room’. (Tabaqat Ibn Saad vol. 8 pg. 88).

In another tradition, Aisha said, ‘I was given a few characteristics that no other woman was given’. (Tabaqat Ibn Saad Vol.8 pg. 88).

From these and other narrations, one can see the lofty position that has been given to Aisha (RA).

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Waseem Khan

• 2 months later...

Maryam, Mother of 'Isaa As

Maryam (Mary), the mother of Isa (Jesus), was a pious Muslim woman during the time of Prophet Zakariyya. She was Maryam daughter Imran from the family lineage of Dawud (David), the offspring of the Children of Israel. In the Quran there is a chapter named Maryam which talks about Maryam, her birth, her story, the birth of her son Prophet Isa (Jesus), and other things.

Special sustenance provided for Maryam

Every time Zakariyyah AS entered Al-Mihrâb (a praying place or a private room) to (visit) her, he found her supplied with sustenance. He said: "O Maryam! From where have you got this?" She said, "This is from Allah." Verily, Allah provides sustenance to whom He wills, without limit." (Surah Al-Imran:37)

It has been mentioned that he would find her with winter fruit during the summer and summer fruit during the winter.

Maryam the Chosen Woman

She became the best of the women in the world. It is mentioned in the Quran that the angels said Allah chose Maryam and preferred her to the other women of the world.

And (remember) when the angels said: "O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allah has chosen you, purified you, and chosen you above the women of the 'Alamîn (mankind and jinns)."

O Maryam! "Submit yourself with obedience to your Lord (Allah, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and Irkâ'i (bow down etc.) along with Ar-Râki'ûn (those who bow down etc.)." (Surah Al-Imran:42-43)

At the time of giving birth

Maryam, being human, suffered the effects of childbirth as any expectant mother would during these times.

And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: she cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! Would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!" But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-free): "Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee; "And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: it will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee. "So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see any man say `I have vowed a fast to (Allah) Most Gracious and this day will I enter into no talk with any human being.' " (Surah Maryam:23-26)

Read Biography Here