IslamicTeachings.org

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part One

Name: Bilaal bin Rabaah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

Mother’s Name: Hamaamah (Isaabah 1/455)

Steadfastness on Islam:

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had been born from the slaves of the Banu Jumah tribe. When the heat would peak at midday, Umayyah bin Khalaf would take him out of Makkah Mukarramah to the scorching sands of the desert and make him lie on his back on the burning sand. He would then have a huge boulder placed on the chest of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and would declare, “He will remain (in punishment) like this until he either dies or renounces his belief in Muhammed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).” Even in that tortured state, Hazrat Bilal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would continue to say “Ahad! Ahad!” (“One! One!” – referring to his belief in the oneness of Allah Ta‘ala).

(Isaabah 1/456)

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)’s desire for Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to be freed:

Hazrat Sa‘eed bin Musayyib (rahimahullah), while mentioning Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), once said, “The desire to practice Islam was extremely great in the heart of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). He would be subjected to continuous torture and persecution at the hands of the disbelievers. Whenever the disbelievers would try to force him to renounce Islam, he would staunchly refuse and declare “Allah! Allah!” Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) then met Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and expressed his desire saying, “If only we had some wealth by which we would be able to purchase (and free) Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)!” Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) therefore went to Hazrat ‘Abbaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and asked him to purchase Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) for him. Accordingly, Hazrat ‘Abbaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) approached the owner of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), who was a woman, and said, “Would you like to sell me this slave of yours before you lose all the good that you can currently derive from him?” The woman was surprised and exclaimed, “What will you do with him?” after which she went on to complain about him saying, “There is no good in him! He is like this and like that!” Hazrat ‘Abbaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) eventually purchased Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) from her and sent him to Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

(Usdul Ghaabah 1/237)

Eagerness of Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to purchase and free Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

Hazrat Qays (rahimahullah) mentions that Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had purchased Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) for five ooqiyah of gold while he was buried and trapped under a boulder. The disbelievers were so frustrated at how staunch Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was on Islam that they mentioned to Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “We would have sold him to you even if you insisted on paying only one ooqiyah.” Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “I would have purchased him even if you demanded one hundred ooqiyah!”

(Siyar A‘laam Nubalaa’ 3/219)

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)’s wish to share in the reward of freeing Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

After Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) purchased Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), he came to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and informed him of the purchase. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) if he would make him a partner in the ownership of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) through allowing him to purchase a share in him. (Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) desired to share in the ownership of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) so that he would also have a share in the reward when they freed him). Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), however, replied that he had already freed Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

(Siyar A‘laam Nubalaa’ 3/219)

Amount paid to purchase Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu):

Different amounts have been narrated regarding the price Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) paid for Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

Ibnul Atheer (rahimahullah) has mentioned five ooqiyah, seven ooqiyah and nine ooqiyah. (Usdul Ghaabah 1/237)

‘Allaamah Zahabi (rahimahullah) has quoted a narration of Sha‘bee (rahimahullah) which mentions that Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had paid forty ooqiyah. (Siyar A‘laam Nubalaa’ 3/219)

Haafiz ibn Hajar ‘Asqalaani (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had paid for Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) with his own black slave. (Isaabah 1/456)

Killing Umayyah bin Khalaf:

Umayyah bin Khalaf was one of the chief people responsible for torturing Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). Allah Ta‘ala made it such that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) himself killed him in the Battle of Badr.(Usdul Ghaabah 1/237)

Source: Whatisislam.co.za

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part Two

Du‘aa for the Guidance of Quraish:

Hazrat ‘Urwah bin Zubair (rahimahullah) narrates that a woman of the Banu Najjaar clan (radhiyallahu ‘anha) said, “My house was one of the highest houses around the Musjid (i.e. Musjidun Nabawi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). Hadhrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would call out the azaan of Fajr from the top of my house. He would arrive at the time of Sehri and sit on the roof, looking at the horizon and waiting for the time of Fajr to set in. When he would see the time set in, he would stretch (due to sitting for a long time, waiting to see the time of Fajr set in) and make the following du‘aa: ‘O Allah, I praise You (for allowing me to call out the azaan) and I seek Your assistance and beseech You to guide the Quraish (i.e. the family of Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) who had not yet embraced Islam) to Islam so that they may uphold and establish Your Deen (in the world).’” The woman further said, “He would then call out the azaan. I take a qasm by the name of Allah Ta‘ala, I cannot remember him leaving out this du‘aa for even a single day (i.e. his du‘aa for the Quraish before calling out the azaan).”

(Abu Dawood #519)

Footsteps in Jannah:

Hazrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) once asked Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) at the time of fajr salaah, “O Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! After embracing Islam, which action do you hope will greatly benefit you from the actions you carry out? Verily I heard your footsteps before me in Jannah (in a dream) last night.” Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “The action I carry out, which I hope will greatly benefit me, is that whenever I make wudhu, at any time of the day or night, I perform salaah after making wudhu (I perform the salaah of Tahiyyatul Wudhu).”

(Muslim #2458)

The honor awarded to Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) on account of this action (tahiyyatul wudhu) was the honor of walking before Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in Jannah, as a khaadim (servant) walks in front of his master in order to serve him.

Mu’aakhaat (the Bond of Brotherhood)

The Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) who made hijrah (migrated) from Makkah Mukarramah to Madinah Munawwarah would be paired with the Sahaabah of the Ansaar (radhiyallahu ‘anhum). The Sahaabah of the Ansaar (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) would then assist and aid the Sahaabah of the Muhaajireen (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) with whom they had been paired. This special bond shared by these Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) was known as “Mu’aakhaat” (the bond of brotherhood).

There are three views regarding who Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)’s partner of Mu’aakhaat was after migrating to Madinah Munawwarah.

‘Allaamah Qurtubi (rahimahullah) has mentioned two views. The first is that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had been paired with ‘Ubaidah bin Haarith bin Muttalib (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and the second is that he was paired with Abu Ruwaihah Al-Khath‘ami (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

(Istee‘aab 1/258)

Haafiz ibnul Hajar ‘Asqalaani (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had been paired with Hazrat Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Jarraah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).

(Isaabah 1/455)

First of the Abyssinians to Accept Islam

Hazrat Anas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “Those who preceded (in Islam) are four; I was the first from the Arabs through which Islam became known, Hazrat Salmaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) has preceded the Persians in embracing Islam, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) has preceded the Abyssinians in embracing Islam and Hazrat Suhaib (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) has preceded the Romans in embracing Islam.”

(Siyar A‘laam Nubalaa’ 3/217)

Bearing the Spear on the Day of Eid

The King of Abyssinia (Najaashi (rahimahullah)) once sent three spears to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) as a gift. When Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) received the spears, he gave one to Hazrat ‘Ali (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), one to Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and kept the one which remained. On the occasions of Eid, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would walk before Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), bearing this spear, until they reached the Eid-Gah. On arriving at the Eid-Gah, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would insert the spear into the ground before Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would then perform the Eid salaah with the spear as his sutrah.

(Siyar A‘laam Nubalaa’ 3/221)

Source: Whatisislam.co.za

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part Three

Appointed as Mu’azzin of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

When Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) made Hijrah (migrated) to Madinah Munawwarah, he constructed the musjid. After constructing the musjid, he consulted the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) regarding the method to be adopted to call people for salaah. It was the burning desire within the heart of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) that all the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) congregate and perform their salaah together in the musjid. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was neither pleased with the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) performing their salaah in the musjid at different times nor in their homes or at other places.

The Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) presented various suggestions in regard to how people could be called for salaah. Some of the suggestions of the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) were that a fire be lit or a flag be hoisted. On seeing the fluttering flag or the flames and smoke of the fire, people would understand that it is the time of salaah and thereby inform others to come to the musjid for salaah. Other suggestions were that a horn be sounded or that the Naqoos (two sticks) be struck upon each other to alert people that it is the time for salaah. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was not pleased with these opinions. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) did not want his Ummah to emulate the Christians, Jews and Kuffaar in aspects of their deen or their worldly life. If the Muslims were to adopt these methods, it would result in them resembling the disbelievers in their deen and furthermore, it would lead to confusion coming about in the salaah times as the disbelievers were calling people at other times through these same methods. No conclusion was reached in that gathering and the matter was thus left undecided.

Prior to the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) dispersing from the majlis of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) presented a suggestion before Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) that, as no method has yet been decided, then for the time being, perhaps a person could be appointed to go around calling people for salaah whenever the time of salaah enters. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) accepted the suggestion of Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and appointed Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to carry out this task. Hence at the time of salaah, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would go around informing the people that the jamaat (congregational salaah) in the musjid was about to commence.

The heart of each Sahaabi (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was filled with the concern of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in regard to how the people should be called to perform salaah together in the musjid. Nevertheless, it was not long thereafter that, one night, after Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Zaid (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) went to sleep; he was shown a dream by Allah Ta‘ala. In the dream, he saw an angel, in the form of a human being, who was dressed in two garments of green and was carrying a Naqoos. He asked the angel, “O Servant of Allah! Are you selling the Naqoos?” The angel replied by asking him, “What do you wish to do with it?” Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Zaid (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) answered, “I will use it to call people for salaah.” The Angel then said, “Should I not show you a method for calling people to salaah which is better than striking this Naqoos?” Hazrat ‘Abdullah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) asked, “What method is better?” The Angel replied, “You will call out the azaan.” after which the Angel taught him the words of the azaan.

When he awoke the following morning, he went to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and related the dream. On hearing the dream, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mentioned, “Certainly it is a true dream. Stand beside Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and inform him of the words (of the azaan) that you were taught in the dream so that he may call out the azaan with these words. Allow Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to call out the azaan as his voice is louder than your voice. Thus his voice will reach further.” When Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) heard the azaan of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), he hastily took his shawl and rushed to the gathering of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). On reaching the gathering of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), he respectfully exclaimed, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I take an oath by that being who appointed you as his messenger to convey the truth of Islam, I had also seen a dream similar to that of Hazrat ‘Abdullah bin Zaid (radhiyallahu ‘anhu).” When Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) heard this, he became pleased and said, “This has been further confirmed as a true dream from the side of Allah Ta‘ala.”

It has been narrated that more than ten Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) had been shown a dream wherein they were taught the words of the azaan. Among them were Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)

(Mirqaat 2/331, Durre Mandhood 2/86, Si‘aayah 2/4)

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part Four

Treasurer of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)

Haafiz ibnul Hajar ‘Asqalaani (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was the treasurer of Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).

(Isaabah 1/455)

Hazrat ‘Abdullah Al-Hawzani (rahimahullah) mentions that he once met Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) in Halab (a city in Shaam). On meeting Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), he asked him, “O Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! Tell me of the manner in which Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would spend wealth for the cause of deen.” Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied:

From the time Allah Ta‘ala deputed him as a Nabi until he left this world, the wealth he possessed was entrusted to me. Whenever a Muslim would come to him and he would notice that he did not have sufficient clothing, he would instruct me to provide clothing for him. I would therefore take a loan through which I would purchase a shawl and whatever else was needed after which I would clothe and feed that person. This continued until, one day, a disbeliever approached me and said, “O Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! I possess plentiful wealth so don’t go to anybody else when you need a loan.” Accordingly, I commenced going to him for loans and ceased taking loans from other people.

One day, when I had performed wudhu and was now standing, about to call out the azaan for salaah, I saw the same disbeliever nearby amongst a group of traders. When he spotted me, he called out, “O Abyssinian!” and began speaking to me very rudely and harshly. He asked me, “Do you know how long it is until the end of the month?” I replied, “The end of the month is close.” He said, “There are only four nights left! When the month is over, I am going to take you as my slave in exchange of the money you owe me. I have not been loaning you wealth due to you or your companion’s honor. I only gave you loans so that you will become my slave and I will make you graze the goats once again.” When I heard these words, I was alarmed and taken by surprise. Nevertheless, I called out the azaan and we performed Esha salaah.

When Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) returned home after the salaah, I went to him and sought permission to enter and speak to him. When he granted me permission, I entered and said, “O Rasul of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! May my father and mother be sacrificed for you! I had mentioned to you that I am taking loans from a certain disbeliever. That same disbeliever has now threatened to take me as his slave if I do not pay him by the end of the month. Neither you nor I have the means to pay him and he wishes to disgrace me. Permit me to flee to some other locality which has accepted Islam where I will remain until Allah Ta‘ala provides you with the means to pay the money I owe.” I then left and proceeded home. On reaching home, I collected my sword, bag, spear and sandals and left them at my head side after which I lay down, facing the horizon. Such was my state of worry that I was initially unable to sleep. Whenever I fell asleep, I would instantly awake with a shock. I eventually managed to fall and remain asleep and only awoke when the rays of subh saadiq (first dawn) had spread horizontally across the sky.

I had just decided to set out and leave when a person came running to me calling, “O Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! Respond to the call of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)!” I immediately hastened towards Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and, on reaching him, saw four animals laden with goods nearby. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) addressed me saying, “Glad tidings! Allah Ta‘ala has created means for you to pay off your debt.” I praised Allah Ta‘ala on hearing this good news and Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked, “Did you not pass by the four animals kneeling (nearby)?” I replied in the affirmative to which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “Verily the camels together with their loads are yours.” When I looked, I saw that they were laden with fabrics and food which the leader of Fadak had gifted to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “Take them with you and settle your debts.” I did as instructed, taking the camels and offloading the goods. I then tied the camels and went to call out the azaan for the Fajr salaah.

When we had completed performing the Fajr salaah, I made my way to Baqee‘ and inserted my fingers into my ears (to assist me to raise my voice) and called out at the top of my voice, “Whoever wishes to collect the money which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) owes him should present himself!” I continued to sell the goods and pay the debts as the creditors arrived, bartering in exchange of the monies owed, until every single debt had been settled and I even had one and a half or two ooqiyah to spare.

By this point, most of the day had already passed. I went to the musjid where I found Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) sitting on his own. After I made salaam to him, he asked me what had happened. I replied, “Allah Ta‘ala has paid every debt of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) so that no debt remains.” He then asked me, “Is there any leftover wealth?” “Yes, two gold coins.” I replied. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) urged me saying, “See that you relieve me of them (by giving them in sadaqah)! I will not go to any of my wives until you have not relieved me of the two gold coins.” As nobody thereafter arrived to whom I could give the sadaqah, Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) did not go to the homes of any of his wives and spent the entire night in the musjid.

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) remained in the musjid until the second day was now coming to an end. Only then did two travelers arrive who I took with me to feed and clothe. After we had performed the esha salaah, Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) called me and asked me what had happened. I replied, “Allah Ta‘ala has relieved you of the wealth.” Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said “Allahu Akbar!” and praised Allah Ta‘ala out of gratitude as he had feared leaving this world while possessing the wealth. I then followed him as he went to the homes of all his respected wives, greeting them in turn, until he finally arrived at the home of the wife whose turn it was that night.”

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then said to Hazrat ‘Abdullah Al-Hawzani (rahimahullah), “This is the answer to your question, this is how Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would spend in the path of Allah Ta‘ala.”

(Hayaatus Sahaabah 2/267)

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part Five

First Mu’azzin in Islam:

‘Allaamah ibnul Atheer (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was the first Mu’azzin in Islam. He would call out the azaan for Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) while they were on safar (travelling) and while they were in Madinah Munawwarah.

(Usdul Ghaabah 1/237)

The Four Mu’azzins of Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

Haafiz ibnul Qayyim (rahimahullah) has recorded that four Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) enjoyed the privilege and honor of being the mu’azzins of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat ibn umme Maktoom (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) were the mu’azzins of Madinah Munawwarah. Hazrat Sa‘d Al-Quraz (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), the freed slave of Hazrat ‘Ammaar bin Yaasir (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), was the mu’azzin of Qubaa’ and Hazrat Abu Mahzoorah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was the mu’azzin of Makkah Mukarramah.

(Zaadul Ma‘aad 1/120)

Azaan on the Ka‘bah:

On the occasion of Fat-he Makkah (the Conquest of Makkah), Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) entered the Ka‘bah with Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and Hazrat Usaamah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). The musjid was filled with the Quraish who had formed rows and were watching Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) to see what he was going to do. Other people of the Quraish were watching from the mountain tops around Makkah Mukarramah and some of the eminent personalities of the Quraish had chosen to flee and went into hiding. It was at that juncture that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) instructed Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to ascend the Ka‘bah and call out the azaan for Zuhr salaah.

When Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) ascended the Ka‘bah to call out the azaan , ‘Attaab bin Aseed, Haarith bin Hishaam, Suhail bin ‘Amr and Abu Sufyaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) were among the Quraish seated in the courtyard around the Ka‘bah. On seeing Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) calling out the azaan, ‘Attaab bin Aseed commented, “Allah has honored my father, Aseed, by taking his life before this day, saving him from hearing the call of the azaan today. Had he been alive and heard this call, he would have been greatly angered.” Haarith bin Hishaam remarked, “By Allah! If I regarded this religion to be true and regarded him to be calling to the truth then I would have followed him.” Haarith, however, also made the following derogatory remark, “Could Muhammed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) not find anyone to call out the azaan besides this black crow?” Suhail bin ‘Amr said, “If Allah dislikes something, he will change it.” Hazrat Abu Sufyaan (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) said, “I will not say anything as I fear that these stones will inform Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) of what I said.”

As soon as they had spoken, Hazrat Jibraa’eel (‘alaihis salaam) came to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and informed him of what they had uttered. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) therefore called them and said, “I have been informed of the remarks you made.” after which he told each of them the exact remark that he had made. Haarith and ‘Attaab were amazed and immediately accepted Islam exclaiming, “We testify that you are the Rasul of Allah as you have informed us of our secret remarks! There was nobody else with us who could have possibly told you of what we said.”

The following verse of the Qur’aan Al-Kareem was then revealed:

يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَـٰكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَـٰكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَآئِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا  إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ ٱللَّـهِ أَتْقَىٰكُمْ إِنَّ ٱللَّـهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may recognise each other (not that you may despise each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (Surah Hujuraat)

(Tafseer Baghawi 4/195, Ibn Hishaam 4/43, Subulul Hudaa war Rashaad 5/248, Zaadul Ma‘aad 3/358-361)

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part Six

Leaving Madinah Munawwarah after the Demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam):

There are two views recorded with regards to whether or not Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) remained the mu’azzin of Madinah Munawwarah after the demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).

The First View:

The first view is that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) did not remain the mu’azzin of Madinah Munawwarah after the demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). After the demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), he felt it difficult to remain in Madinah Munawwarah and thus went to Shaam to engage in Jihaad.

This is the preferred view of ‘Allaamah ibn Katheer (rahimahullah) (Al Bidaayah wan Nihaayah 6/61), ‘Allaamah Suyooti (rahimahullah) (Is‘aaf 751) and 'Allaamah Ibn Hibbaan (rahimahullah) (Thiqaat 1/264)

Hazrat Sa‘eed bin ‘Abdul ‘Azeez (rahimahullah) and Hazrat ibn Jaabir (rahimahullah) both narrate that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) did not call out the azaan after the demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and intended to leave Madinah Munawwarah to strive in Jihaad. When Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) came to know of this, he asked Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to remain in Madinah Munawwarah to which Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) responded by requesting, “If you had freed me for the sake of Allah Ta‘ala then please allow me to leave.” Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) relented and allowed Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to leave. Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then moved to Shaam.

(Siyar A‘laam min Nubalaa 3/222)

Hazrat Sa‘eed bin Musayyib (rahimahullah) narrates that Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) had once sat on the mimbar on the occasion of jumu‘ah when Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) approached him and asked, “Did you grant me freedom for the sake of Allah Ta‘ala or for your own sake?” Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) instantly replied, “For the sake of Allah Ta‘ala.” Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) responded, “In that case, allow me to leave Madinah Munawwarah so that I may strive in jihad.” Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) permitted Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) to leave after which he went to Shaam which is where he eventually passed away.

(Siyar A‘laam min Nubalaa 3/221)

The Second View:

The second view is that after the demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), during the khilaafat of Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) remained the mu’azzin of Madinah Munawwarah. After the demise of Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), he obtained permission from Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and departed for Syria.

This is the preferred view of ‘Allaamah ibnul Atheer (rahimahullah) (Usdul Ghaabah 1/237) and Haafiz ibnul Hajar ‘Asqalaani (rahimahullah) (Fat-hul Baari 7/125).

When Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) passed away, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) approached Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) seeking permission to leave Madinah Munawwarah so that he may strive in Jihaad. When he came before Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), he said to him, “O Khalifah of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam)! I heard Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mentioning that the most virtuous action of a believer is waging Jihaad in the path of Allah Ta‘ala.” Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “So what do you wish, O Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)?” Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “I wish to wage Jihaad on the borders of the Islamic lands until I pass away.” On hearing his request, Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) pleaded with him saying, “O Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)! I ask you (to remain in Madinah Munawwarah) for the sake of Allah Ta‘ala and for the right which I have over you as I have now aged, I have become weak and my death is close approaching.” Out of respect for the request of Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) remained in Madinah Munawwarah and continued to call out the azaan.

When Hazrat Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) approached Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and once again requested to leave Madinah Munawwarah so that he may strive in Jihaad. Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) eventually permitted him to leave and asked him who should be appointed as the mu’azzin of Madinah Munawwarah in his place. Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “Appoint Hazrat Sa‘d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) as he had called out the azaan for Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).” Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus appointed Hazrat Sa‘d (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and his progeny to call out the azaan in Madinah Munawwarah.

(Siyar A‘laam min Nubalaa 3/221, ibn Sa‘d 3/178)

Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) – Part Seven

Calling out the Azaan in Shaam

Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) once visited Jaabiyah (a place in Shaam) during the period of his Khilaafat. On his arrival, the people approached him and asked him if he would request Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), who was residing in Shaam, to one day call out the azaan for them. Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) put their request to Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) who agreed to one day call out the azaan. The momentous day finally dawned and as the people heard the azaan of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) they were reminded of the blessed era of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and immediately began to weep. Such was their weeping out of the sadness and grief of being separated from their beloved Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) that Hazrat Aslam (rahimahullah), the freed slave of Hazrat ‘Umar (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), said, “I never saw people crying more than they did on that day.”

(Siyar A‘laam min Nubalaa 3/222, Zarqaani 5/71)

Returning to Madinah Munawwarah

‘Allaamah Zarqaani (rahimahullah) has quoted the following incident from Haafiz ibn ‘Asaakir (rahimahullah) with a strong chain of narrators:

After Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) settled in Daariyyaa (a place in Shaam), he one night saw a dream in which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to him, “O Bilaal! What is this separation? Is it not time for you to visit me?” When Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) awoke from the dream, he was filled with such grief and concern that he immediately mounted his conveyance and set out in the direction of Madinah Munawwarah. When he arrived before the blessed grave of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), he was overcome by his love for Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and grief over his separation and thus began to weep excessively. Hazrat Hasan and Hazrat Husain (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) thereafter came to meet him. On seeing them, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) began to embrace and kiss them out of the love he had for the family of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). They thereafter said to Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), “We desire to hear you call out the azaan as you would call it for Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam).” Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) thus ascended to a raised place in order to call out the azaan. As Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) commenced the azaan and called out “Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar!” Madinah Munawwarah began to echo with the mubaarak voice of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu). As he continued and called out the next words of the azaan, the echoes in Madinah Munawwarah increased, reaching the people, until the women and children emerged from their homes, crying out of the deep remembrance of the mubaarak era of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). Such was the love they had for Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) that never before had there been a day after the demise of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in which the people of Madinah Munawwarah cried more profusely than that day.

(Zarqaani 5/71)

Humility

Ibn Muraahin (rahimahullah) narrates that people would come to Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) and praise him, mentioning the great virtue and abundant good which Allah Ta‘ala had blessed him with. In the face of the lofty praises of all these people, Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) would humbly reply, “I am merely an Abyssinian and I was, just yesterday, a slave.”

(Ibn Sa‘d 3/180)

Statement before Passing Away

Sa‘eed bin ‘Abdul ‘Azeez narrates that when Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) was passing away, he exclaimed, “I will tomorrow meet those whom I love, Muhammed (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and his companions!” The wife of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) then said, “How great my grief (at losing you)!” to which Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “How great my happiness (at meeting Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and the Sahaabah)!”

(Siyar A‘laam min Nubalaa 3/223)

Demise

There are different views narrated regarding the date of Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu)’s demise.

Haafiz ibnul Hajar ‘Asqalaani (rahimahullah) has mentioned that he passed away in the 18th year after Hijrah after succumbing to the plague of ‘Amwaas. (Fat-hul Baari 7/125)

‘Allaamah Zahabi (rahimahullah) has preferred the view that Hazrat Bilaal (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) passed away in the 20th year after Hijrah. (Al Kaashif 2/178)