How to Find Peace under Pressure

ummtaalib

Finding Peace under Pressure

12227017_10205036702947278_4045355385058364164_n.jpg

workshop - 5th December 2015

Zaynab Academy Online

Speaker: Alimah S. Ahmed

Write-up: ummi taalib

This excellent workshop was on how to deal with pressures living in a modern world where pressures have increased many fold compared to the past, especially for women who  are faced with pressures of the home as a wife and mother along with educational, career and  peer pressures (which does not only affect teenagers but adults as well in universities, professions etc.).

Modern day  psychologists and psychological studies show many ways of dealing with these pressures. Alimah S. Ahmed has taken five points and intertwined them with the Islamic perspective. Alhamdulillah, it was very beneficial as a solution and hope for those women seeking peace under pressure as well as showing us that the Noble Qur'an and the teachings of our beloved Nabi Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam provided these very solutions more than 1400 years ago! InshaAllah these notes become beneficial for many even though I truly cannot do justice to the talk.

So firstly what is Pressure & Stress?

Pressure is external conditions which makes us feel that we have to do certain things or behave in a certain manner, meet certain deadlines or fulfil certain obligations or expectations from people or even expectations from one's self i.e. a goal or a desire. There are different levels of pressures which depend on situations, backgrounds, culture etc.

These pressures lead to stress which is the internal reaction. People may experience the same pressures yet react differently with some dealing with the situation calmly while others may feel the stress, some to a much higher degree than others.

Stress  is something everyone experiences. Allah ta'ala mentions in the Qur'an that a human being cannot get except for what he strives for.

وَأَنْ لَيْسَ لِلْإِنْسَانِ إِلَّا مَا سَعَىٰ

"And that man hath only that for which he maketh effort" [53:39]

A healthy level of stress is necessary to get ahead in life, be it in one's Deen (Religion) or Dunya (Worldly matters). It makes a person work harder. The problem comes with unhealthy levels of stress which leads to psychological problems such as anxiety, depression and even mental breakdowns. For some people stress leads to physical problems such as backache, shoulder pains and tense muscles.

Stress can also affect our spiritual self like our connection with Allah ta'ala, our Imaan, our tawakkul in Him etc. Finding "Peace under Pressure"  is attaining this spiritual peace. The psychologists and councillors will show us various methods to de-stress however the real peace comes when one finds this connection with Allah ta'ala, one's God, one's Creator. Due to not having this understanding many people try to find ways of relieving stress through harmful ways such as drugs, drinking, fun and futile activities or releasing stress and harming those below them. For instance a head teacher may have stress and release it on the teachers who in turn release it on the students, or a woman is under pressure from her husband or boss and may not say anything to them however takes it out on her children, which is dangerous. In the long run these methods do not change the situation nor do they release the stress. The stress needs to be released in a healthy way similar to eating healthy food instead of junk food eaten to fill the hunger when food is not ready. This is not proper nourishment. Similarly unhealthy methods of releasing stress are counterproductive. Finding real peace makes us more productive and  better people.

• Like 1

The Cycle of Stress

Stress can paralyse a person which leads to more stress and it becomes a vicious cycle.

cycle of stress.png

(Click on picture to enlarge)

How do we break this cycle?

The following Five Points were discussed by Alimah S. Ahmed,

firstly mentioning the psychological aspect followed by the Islamic perspective

• Like 1

1. Awareness/Mindfulness

Identifying the trigger even if one cannot change anything

Psychologists:

• Identify the cause of the pressures
  • Are the causes external or internal?

The first step is being aware of the cause and the second step is to be able to manage it.  This leads to potential solutions. With awareness one can make adjustments to relieve the pressures.

Islam:

In Islam this awareness is called "Hudhoori". It means "presence of heart" i.e. to be aware of the working of one's heart at a  deeper level.

The heart is the focal point of a human's existence as mentioned in a hadith of our beloved Nabi Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam:

"....There lies within the body a piece of flesh. If it is sound, the whole body is sound; and if it is corrupted, the whole body is corrupted. Verily this piece is the heart." [bukhari & Muslim]

The science of Islamic spirituality and the concept of Tazkiyah (Purification of the heart) all has to do with being aware, and then managing one's negative emotions and the diseases of the heart. This path of attaining a purified heart (Qalbi saleem) is a long process. It is a lifelong process where it is said that ten negative characteristics need to be eliminated (jealousy, spite, anger, pride, arrogance etc.) and ten positive characteristics need to be instilled (Sabr, shukr, love for Allah ta'ala etc.) so the following is a short cut for an instance source of  peace.

Identify the cause of the pressure and then manage it empowering the situation. In a high stress situation which cannot be changed ask yourself, "What can I do since I cannot change the external condition which is the pressure?"

The answer is "I can work on myself and change my internal reaction."

You can say, "I can do Sabr (Patience)" or if the pressures are caused by negative feelings regarding people, you can say, "I can forgive" as forgiving others benefits us the most and this will bring immediate results.

Allah ta'ala says in the Noble Qur'an:

سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمْ بِمَا صَبَرْتُمْ ۚ فَنِعْمَ عُقْبَى الدَّارِ

"Peace unto you for that ye persevered in patience! Now how excellent is the final home!" [13:22]

2. Change Lifestyle to Decrease Pressure

Psychologists:

The second thing which they suggest is change of lifestyle to decrease the pressures. The following techniques help in having more control of one's life which then makes one cope with pressures better.

• organising your life so you know what to expect
  • time management - learning about it and applying it
  • making a list of things to do
  • having variations - mundane jobs can be alternated with doing things you love or having some fun
  • avoiding doing too much at once
  • be good to yourself, learn when and how to say no without causing hurt
  • reduce the things which are unnecessary

Islam:

Allah ta'ala says in the Qura'an:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً

O believers enter into Islam completely [2:208]

Islam in this context means "Peace". Therefore it means, "Enter into "peace" completely."

Islam also means to submit - submission to Allah ta'ala, not the creation. Islam teaches us limits and boundaries and when we know these limits and boundaries and remain within them, the pressure decreases and the more completely we enter into Islam, the more peace there is. This does not in any way mean there will be no problems however even in the midst of major problems the heart will remain tranquil.

In another verse Allah ta'ala says:

مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِنْ ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنْثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً ۖ

Whosoever doeth right, whether male or female, and is a believer, him verily We shall quicken with good life, [16.97]

Doing good deeds while being in the state on Imaan leads to a good life. We may question about those who have Imaan and do a lot of good deeds, yet have many difficulties? Allah ta'ala has blessed them with tranquility of the heart so even through the apparent external pressures they remain at peace internally while others are apparently having a good, comfortable  life yet they are suffering from anxieties and depression.

Allah ta'ala does not test anyone beyond what they cannot bear.

لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا

Allah tasketh not a soul beyond its scope.[2:286]

A lot of times when people breakdown it is due to self-made pressures. When  a person has Allah ta'ala in their hearts and try to please Him and obey Him, he/she will not experience breakdowns. They remain at peace through the  grief and difficulties of life.  

So many of us wish to be popular, well liked,  loved, but this love will not come through beauty or being rich and famous. It will come through having Imaan and doing good deeds. Allah ta'ala says in the Qur'an,

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ سَيَجْعَلُ لَهُمُ الرَّحْمَٰنُ وُدًّا

Lo! those who believe and do good works, the Beneficent will appoint for them love.[19.96]

Therefore if we want peace, we need to enter into Islam fully/completely and if we want love and have a good life then we need to have Imaan and do good deeds.

3. Evaluate & Embrace Mistakes

Psychologists:

Looking within and evaluating where the fault lies and embracing mistakes.

Islam:

In Islam evaluating yourself is called Muhaasabah and embracing/acknowledging  mistakes and asking for forgiveness from Allah ta'ala is Istighfaar. If it involves wronging  people then forgiveness should be sought from them too.

The next step is Tawbah which is to turn around and change your life, trying not to repeat the mistakes. Even if mistakes are repeated, then tawbah should be repeated. It is like a washing machine cleaning dirty clothes repeatedly. Allah ta'ala loves those who repent and when He loves someone, it will have  an effect on the heart and there will be peace in the heart.

إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ التَّوَّابِينَ

Surely Allah loves those who are most repenting. [2.222]

Therefore evaluating and making tawbah is a very important spiritual way of finding peace under a high pressure situation.

4. Do what you love - "Me time" as known in the West

Psychologists:

Doing what we love helps a great deal in relieving stress. In the West it is known as "Me time". Women tend to especially need this "Me time" and it could be spending time doing what one loves like going out, having a pedicure/massage, spending time with friends etc. which rejuvenates and helps in dealing with the pressures.

One should make pockets of time for things one loves doing throughout the day which helps relieving stress. It could be a few minutes for a tea break or reading a favourite book. phoning a friend etc.

Islam:

In Islam "Me time" is time with Allah ta'ala, remembering Him as He remembers us when we remember Him and Allah ta'ala remembering us will bring peace in the heart.

"فَاذْكُرُونِي أَذْكُرْكُمْ"

"Therefore remember Me. I will remember you [2:152]

Dhikr (remembrance of Allah ta'ala) leads to peace. Allah ta'ala says in the Noble Qur'an:

أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ

Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest! [13.28]

The Dhikr of Allah ta'ala (Remembrance of Allah ta'ala) is "Me time". There are many forms of Dhikr which will lead to "Itminaan", a deep peace in the heart and there will be no anxiety, depression etc. similar to an ocean with some movement on the surface however under the surface the water is calm.

The five daily Salaah are  the greatest form of remembrance of Allah ta'ala. Allah ta'ala says in the Noble Qur'an:

أَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي

establish worship for My remembrance.[20.14]

We often perform  Salaah for reward and to fulfill an obligation however if we want real peace of heart, we should perform Salaah to remember Allah ta'ala.

Our beloved Nabi Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam always turned to salaah in times of difficulty while we turn to other things like the phone or Facebook etc. Just the remembrance of Allah ta'ala i.e. "O Allah! You are there!" Knowing He is there will make the most difficult situation easier to bear.

The recitation of the Noble Qur'an is also Dhikr. Alimah S. Ahmed related a story of a woman who suffered twenty years of abuse from her husband. When she revealed her details she didn't appear as though she could've gone through such suffering. On being asked the woman revealed she always grabbed the Qur'an and it was a source of peace for her through the worst of situations.

When our beloved Nabi sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam and his dear friend and companion, Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) were hiding in the cave during the Hijrah (Migration to Madeenah Munawwarah) and the disbelievers were right outside the cave, Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) naturally felt fear in this high stress situation. He mentioned to Nabi sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam that if the disbelievers were to look down they would be caught. Allah ta'ala mentions this incident  in the Noble Qur'an and says that Nabi Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said,

لَا تَحْزَنْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَنَا ۖ فَأَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ سَكِينَتَهُ عَلَيْهِ

Grieve not. Lo! Allah is with us. Then Allah caused His peace of reassurance to descend upon him  [9.40]

This shows that when a person says, "Allah ta'ala is with me", the immediate result is that peace will descend. Allah ta'ala is always there, we just need to search for Him and anyone who searches for Him, will find Him.

5. Attitude is everything

Psychologists:

A positive attitude helps one to cope better with high pressure situations. In order to create positive attitudes psychologists advise people to use various methods for motivation. How one perceives the situation is very important. If one takes the pressure and perceives it as a challenge it can make one a better person.

Acceptance of a situation which one cannot change in itself eases the situation and helps one to focus the time and energy on things one can change which leads to one's personal, individual and spiritual development.

"If only you realise  that life is difficult, it would become so easy for you"

Islam:

Islam teaches us that in worldly matters we should look at those below us and not compare ourselves with those above us however in Deen we should compare ourselves to those who are above us. Comparing ourselves to those who are below us in worldly matters will make us be grateful for what we have while looking at those above us leads to stress because we will feel pressured to reach that status.  Looking at the good things in one's life makes a bad situation good and will become a means of de-stressing.

In a high pressure situation one can say, "I am in a bad situation, but I am grateful to Allah ta'ala for what I have. " Showing gratitude to Allah ta'ala will increase the good.. Allah ta'ala says in the Noble Qur'an,

لَئِن شَكَرْتُمْ لأَزِيدَنَّكُمْ

If you are thankful (for My favors), I will most certainly give you more [14.7]

Islam teaches us to be content with the decree of Allah ta'ala and making Shukr (showing gratitude) in good situations whereby Allah ta'ala will increase the blessings and making Sabr (being patient) in difficult situations through which one benefits spiritually. High pressure situations can be utilised to gain  a lot of benefit.

Allah ta'ala says in a Hadith Qudsi:

“I am with those whose hearts are broken for My sake.”

Using the example of a pressure cooker which when steam builds up inside, lets out some steam, at first in a low whistling sound which goes higher as pressure builds. If this steam is not released the pressure cooker will explode. Similarly when external pressures begin building the internal stress we should not run away from the pressures or use unhealthy methods to relieve them. Use the techniques shown:

• Identify the pressures even if you cannot change anything
  • Then manage them by evaluating and embracing mistakes (Muhasabah and Tawbah)
  • Accept the decree of Allah ta'ala and be patient
  • Be forgiving when it involves other people
  • Make "Me time" (Turning to and remembering Allah ta'ala, talking to Him and beseeching Him)

Using the above methods, the stress will not be allowed to build up to dangerous levels. A study involving people sitting for an exam showed that when people were happy and at peace they performed better than when they were upset or stressed out. Another group of people who did 15% better were those who meditated before the exam. The meditation which is referred to is where people cut themselves off from the world.

In Islam we cut ourselves from the world and connect with Allah ta'ala. Our Deen is so beautiful showing so many therapeutic methods whereby we can be at peace and become better, productive people like precious gems.

pup.png

The mundane pressures of this world will come and go. We should have more concern about how we will face Allah ta'ala and our beloved Nabi Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam!

يَا أَيَّتُهَا النَّفْسُ الْمُطْمَئِنَّةُ ارْجِعِي إِلَى رَبِّكِ رَاضِيَةً مَرْضِيَّةً

To the righteous it will be said “oh reassured soul, return to your Lord well pleased,

and pleasing to Him” [89:27-28]

May Allah ta'ala  grant us such contentment of the soul that we find eternal peace with Allah ta'ala in the Aakhirah (Hereafter).

~~~ End ~~~

• Like 1

Something  of benefit to those under going difficulties.

Taken from HERE

Those moments when your forehead touches the ground when you’re praying, and there’s tears in your eyes.

Tonight I feel so weak. I feel so unwanted, and I feel so small. I may over think some certain things, but I could feel that I'm losing things that I love in life. I know nothing is permanent. Everything is for temporary.

Human, animals, wealth, health, air, every single thing belongs to ALLAH. I know that. But I don't know why somehow I pray that - this one thing may last. I've been crying for the past 3 days. Don't know the reason why, or maybe I know the reason, but I just pretend like I don't. I can't help myself from praying that I wont lose those precious things in my life.

Ya Allah, I've gone too far from what You taught me. Forgive me. Guide me to go to the right path. There's too much love in my heart that I know it wont last. No matter how I want it badly, I know You know whats best for me. Please help me to get through this Ya Allah.

1) WE ALWAYS ASK: Why was I TESTED?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: "Do men think that they will be left alone saying,'We believe', and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false." [29:2-3]

2) WE ALWAYS ASK: Why I never get what I wanted?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: " It is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing, which is bad for you. But Allah knows, while you know not." Surah Al-Baqarah [2:216]

3) WE ALWAYS ASK: Why was I burdened this way?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: "Allah does not place a burden to a soul greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns." Surah Al-Baqarah [2:286]& " So verily, with every difficulty there is relief: (repeated) Verily, with every difficulty there is relief." Surah Al-Insyirah [94:5-6]

4) WE ALWAYS ASK: Why am I losing hope?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: "So lose not heart, nor fall into despair: For you will be superior if you are true in Faith." Surah Al-Imran [3:139]

5) WE ALWAYS ASK: How can I face it?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: " O you who believed! Persevere in patience and constancy; vie in such perseverance; strengthen each other; and fear Allah that you may prosper." Surah Al-Imran[3:200] & "And seek(Allah's) help with patient, perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a humbly submissive (to Allah)." Surah Al-Baqarah [2:45]

6) WE ALWAYS ASK: What do I get from all these?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: "Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and properties (in exchange) for that they will have the garden (of Paradise)..." Surah At-Taubah [9:111]

7) WE ALWAYS ASK: To whom could I depend?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: "(Allah) suffice me: there is no god but He: On Him is my trust- He the Lord of the Throne (of Glory) Supreme." Surah At-Taaubah [9:129]

8)WE ALWAYS ASK: But I can't take it anymore!

AL-QURAN ANSWERS: "...and never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy; truly No one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy. except Those who have no faith." Surah Yusuf [9:87]& "Despairs not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives All sins for He is Often- Forgiving, Most Merciful." Surah Az-Zumar [39:53]

Ya Allah, make my relationship with You so strong that I don’t need these people or this world. Ya Allah, let me thrive on Your love and the love for Your deen. Alhamdulillah for the beauties of this world You have blessed me with, but, Ya Allah, do not let me get attached to such short-lived materials.

• Like 1

حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ الْوَكِيلُ  (Allah (alone) is sufficient for us) - Qur'an 3:173

Taken from HERE

By leaving your affairs to Allah, by depending upon Him, by trusting in His promise, by being pleased with His decree, by thinking favourably of Him, and by waiting patiently for His help, you reap some of the greater fruits of faith and display the more promonent characteristics of the believer. When you incorporate these qualities into your character, you will be at peace concerning the future, because you will depend on your Lord for everything. As a result, you will find care, help, protection, and victory.

When Prophet Ibrahim (as) was placed in the fire, he said, "Allah (Alone) is sufficient for us, and he is the best disposer of affairs (for us)." Thereupon, Allah made the fire to be cool, safe, and peaceful for Prophet Ibrahim (as).

When the prophet Muhammad (saw) and his companions were threatened by the impending attack of the enemy, they said words that are related in the first part of this verse: "Allah (Alone) is sufficient for us, and He is the best disposer of affairs (for us).".............................And Allah is the owner of Great Bounty (Qur'an 3:173-74)

No person by himself is capable of fighting against the current of misfortune, nor can he fend off the blows of disaster when they strike. This is because man was created weak and fragile. However, when in times of difficulty, the believer places his dependency and trust with his Lord; he knows that all difficulties can be overcome.

"And put your trust in Allah if you are believers indeed" (Qur'an 5:23)

• Like 1

Five Ways to Achieve Inner Peace

Screen-Shot-2015-10-13-at-10.57.23-AM.pn

Summarized by Samah Syed from the ‘Gateways of Relief and Assistance’ webinar by Shaykh Tameem Ahmadi.

It is in the nature of this worldly life that it will be filled with trials and tribulations for every individual, old or young, rich or poor. Allah Most High states in the Qur’an:

“And whatever of misfortune befalls you, it is because of what your hands have earned” (Qur’an, 42:30)

Thus, we should understand that any calamity that befalls us is often a consequence of our wrongdoings and ultimately this is a calling for us from Allah Most High to turn back to Him. Although we must turn to Allah in both good times and bad, it is especially natural for the human in his desperate and broken state to wholly and completely turn to His Lord in need.

Here are five ways through which we can attain nearness to our Lord and thereby attain ultimate peace of heart in times of trial and tribulation:

#1 Du’a

Allah Most High says in the Qur’an:

“And your Lord says: ‘Call on me; I will answer your prayer’ (Quran, 40:60)”

Du’a is a direct link to our Creator and is an act of worship that can be done at anytime and anywhere. It is a means by which we can pour our hearts out and rest assured that our affairs will be taken care of by the King of kings. It is stated in a hadith that when Allah Most High sees the hands of the slave lifted up to him He feels shame that He should leave that person’s hands unfilled (Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi). We should therefore keep making du’a with a firm conviction that Allah Most High will most definitely answer it. We must never be despondent and complain that Allah is not answering our du’as. When we ask Him, either Allah gives us exactly what we want, or He doesn’t and instead stores something better for us in the hereafter or He removes some calamity of this life by means of that du’a. Thus, making du’a is a “win-win-win” situation.

#2 Reciting Qur’an

In the Qur’an there is an invitation of Allah, therefore we should accept the invitation, the way a guest honors the invitation given to him by his host. Abundant recitation of the blessed Book of Allah brings about nur (light) and barakah (blessings) within a person and allows one to attain peace of heart and mind. For every letter we recite, Allah Most High grants us ten hasanat (rewards). The Qur’an is said to be the rope of Allah, and just as a rope is used to pull a fallen individual out of a dark well, the Qur’an is a means of pulling us out from the darkness of all our worries and difficulties.

#3 Dhikr

Allah Most High says in the Qur’an:

Those who believe, and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest (Qur’an, 13:28).”

Allah Most High states that He is with us whenever we remember Him. Thus, what better method of dealing with our sorrows and anxieties than being in the company of our Creator? When we engage in abundant dhikr (remembrance), depression and worry is taken away from the heart and happiness is brought into the heart. We drive away Satan and attain Allah’s pleasure. Our bodies and hearts are strengthened and a nur (light) develops in our hearts and faces. Dependent upon how much dhikr we make, we develop a proximity or closeness to Allah and a mahabbah or love for Allah also forms in our hearts.

Dhikr can take many forms, the most common of which are tasbih (SubhanAllah), tahlil (La ilaha il Allah), tahmid (Alhamdullilah), takbir (Allahu Akbar) and istighfar (Astaghfirullah). It is stated in a hadith that just as iron rusts, so too do our hearts and therefore just as iron needs polish, the polish for our rusted hearts is abundant dhikr. Thus we should make use of these “polishes” so that our hearts are constantly renewed and refreshed.

#4 Salah

“And seek help in patience and As-Salat (Qur’an, 2:45).”

Salah or prayer is our daily connection with Allah and has been referred to as the mi’raj or ascension of the believer. Whenever Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) had any trouble or concern he would quickly resort to salah to gain comfort and clarity. Our daily prayers are our links to Allah and it is in salah where we are the closest to Him. Our prayers (salahs) attract rizq (provisions) and serve as protection for our wealth and material well-being.

#5 Salutations upon the Prophet (ﷺ)

“Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet. Oh you who believe! Send blessings on him, and salute him with all respect (Qur’an, 33:56).”

Ubayy ibn Ka’b (may Allah be pleased with him) once came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and asked him how much of his du’a should include salutations upon the Prophet (ﷺ). The Prophet (ﷺ) told him he could include as much as he pleased and if he did more then it would be better for him. Ubayy ibn Kaab (may Allah be pleased with him) then asked him about dedicating a quarter of his du’a to salawat (salutations upon the Prophetﷺ). Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) gave him the same reply again. He then asked him about half and then two-thirds until he finally asked if he should make his entire du’a dedicated to sending salawat. Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) told him if he did this then all his worries would be taken care of and all of his sins would be forgiven (Ahmad, Tirmidhi). Thus, we should make it a habit to send abundant salutations on Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) every day, especially on Fridays. By doing so we would have opened yet another gateway of bringing tranquility and contentment to our hearts.

About the Author: Samah Syed
Samah is a volunteer and student at Rayyan Institute based in Toronto, Canada.

Words of Wisdom

"Utilising means other than the dhikr of Allāh ta'ālā to acquire peace of heart is akin to brushing your difficulties under the carpet. The unease, despite being masked, is still there.

It is just like being under anaesthetic; as soon as you ‘wake up’ you will realise that the pain has not gone away."

Shaykh Mawlānā Muhammad Saleem Dhorat hafizahullāh

(at-tazkiyah)

*Remember that "Dhikr" - Remembrance of Allah, includes many forms of worship including Salaah as well as explained in this post

• 5 weeks later...
Hard Times

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallamhas stated,"Relief accompanies difficulties." [Al-Arbaoon Lin-Nawawi]

It is the way of Allah - based on His infinite wisdom - to have mankind pass through stages in their lives. In general, people go through good times and they go through hard times. Naturally, it is when they go through hard times that they face the most psychological stress.

We should know that whatever hardship or difficulties we face will come to an end soon. It, therefore, behoves us to be patient and to have good expectations concerning Allah. Allah is the Most Merciful of those who are merciful, even more merciful than a mother towards her small infant. We should realize that the Merciful will not leave us in that situation for long if we are patient for the sake of Allah.

If a person lives a life of ease only, it becomes simple for him to forget about Allah. If a person is rescued by Allah in his darkest hour, that person should never afterwards forget Allah and what Allah has done for him. Indeed, there should be a close bond forged that may not have existed had Allah not tried His servant.

Compiled from: Sharhul-Arbaeen

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians

• Like 1

• 1 year later...