IslamicTeachings.org

Protecting one's family and wealth

MUSLIM WOMAN

:sl:

Q: From the hadith below it is revealed that Muslims should protect what is theirs, their wealth, property, family etc. My question is what should one do when being hijacked or robbed and you have two young children with you? Should you fight off the thieves and risk that they might hurt the children or just give in and let them take your wealth?

Hadith: "Dying whilst defending ones wealth is martyrdom. The Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: “Whoever is killed whilst defending his wealth is a martyr”. Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported: “A man came to the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, and asked: “O Messenger of Allaah! What shall I do if someone comes to me with the intention of taking away my property?’’ He, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, replied: “Do not hand it over to him.” The man asked: “What shall I do if he fights me?’’ The Messenger of Allaah , sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: “Then fight him.” The man asked: “What will be my position in the Hereafter if he has killed me?’’ The Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, replied: “In that case you are a martyr.” The man again asked: “What if I killed him?’’ The Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, replied, “He will be in the Hell-fire.” [Muslim]."

A: Though it is permissible to try and protect your family and wealth through confronting the enemy, however if you fear becoming overpowered by the enemy then the prudent thing for you to do is to part with your wealth and secure your family.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال جاء رجل إلى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال يا رسول الله أرأيت إن جاء رجل يريد أخذ مالي قال فلا تعطه مالك قال أرأيت إن قاتلني قال قاتله قال أرأيت إن قتلني قال فأنت شهيد قال أرأيت إن قتلته قال هو في النار (صحيح مسلم #140)

قال النووي : وأما أحكام الباب ففيه جواز قتل القاصد لأخذ المال بغير حق سواء كان المال قليلا أو كثيرا لعموم الحديث وهذا قول جماهير العلماء وقال بعض أصحاب مالك لا يجوز قتله اذا طلب شيئا يسيرا كالثوب والطعام وهذا ليس بشيء والصواب ما قاله الجماهير وأما المدافعة عن الحريم فواجبة بلا خلاف وفى المدافعة عن النفس بالقتل خلاف فى مذهبنا ومذهب غيرنا والمدافعة عن المال جائزة غير واجبة وأما قوله صلى الله عليه و سلم فلا تعطه فمعناه لا يلزمك أن تعطيه وليس المراد تحريم الاعطاء (شرخ النووي على مسلم 1/ 81)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)