IslamicTeachings.org

Hijaab and In-Laws

ummtaalib

Question

I married an year ago, but I got in a serious problem when I knew that my little brother and my wife was involved in zina, I want to give divorce to her and cut off every kind of relation with my bro, I am doing right? and also please guide me if there is a relexation for them or Can I forgive them?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

This is a very difficult and perplexing position to be in and it's certainly not an easy hurdle to overcome. However since you have asked about the possibility of “Can I forgive them?” it means your heart is big enough and you have enough resolve to overcome this situation, Insha-Allah.

Consult a pious, learned scholar in your locality for marriage counseling to take further steps to rebuild the trust between you and your wife. Only after you have gone through marriage counseling would you be able to arrive at a proper decision whether or not to divorce your wife. Then too, you should make istikhaarah before taking the decision.

Do not cut off relations with your brother Doing so will only engender further bitterness in you and will not make you any happier. Forgive your brother and drop the subject, and never bring it up again. For the future keep in mind that your wife has to keep hijab from him, just as with any other stranger, not because of this incident but because your brother is not a mahram to your wife.

One of the misconceptions that is present in Muslim societies in general is the laxity towards relations with a brother-in-law. However when we look at the teachings of Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) we find that we should be very careful because that laxity can easily lead to sin.

إياكم والدخول على النساء . فقال رجل من الأنصار : يا رسول الله ، أفرأيت الحمو ؟ قال : الحمو الموت

Rasullullah (salallhu alayhi wa sallam) said: “Beware of entering upon women.” So a man from the Ansaar (the native residents of Madinah) said: O Messenger of Allah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam): What about the brother-in-law? He (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) said “The brother-in-law is death”1

This hadith narrated by Imam Bukhari (rahmatullahi alayhi) in his Sahih, by Imam Muslim (rahmatullahi alayhi) in his Sahih, by Imam Tirmidhi (rahmatullahi alayhi) in his Sunan and others show how diligent one must be with the relatives of the husband who are not mahram to the wife.

Imam Tirmidhi has stated  الحمو to be “brother-in-law” and Imam Nawawi (rahmatullahi alayhi) has stated it to be “relatives of the husband other then the fathers and the sons because they are mahram to the wife”2

Since the husband's non-mahram relatives to his wife are not strangers, they are able to enter upon women easily and so the ever-present possibility of zina is more dangerous with such relations. Therefore we have been advised to be more cautious and the wife should practice Hijab with such non-mahram relations of her husband just as she would from strangers.

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Sohail Bengali

Correspondence Iftā Student, US.

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Dārul Iftā, Madrasah In῾āmiyyah

1        صحيح البخاري الرقم ٥٢٣٢ و صحيح مسلم الرقم ٢١٧٢ و الترمذي الرقم ١١٧١

2                ووقع عند الترمذي بعد تخريج الحديث ‏"‏ قال الترمذي‏:‏ يقال هو أخو الزوج، كره له أن يخلو بها‏...وقد قال النووي‏:‏ المراد في الحديث أقارب الزوج غير آبائه وأبنائه، لأنهم محارم للزوجة

[  فتح الباري شرح صحيح البخاري -  باب لا يخلون رجل بامرأة إلا ذو محرم والدخول على المغيبة ]

• Like 1

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Q.) Can you please explain to me in the light of Qur'an and Hadith what is the hijab for my husband to his brother's wives? Can he speak to them when there is no need? Can he also speak to them when their husband is not around and there is fear of fitnah? I am in purdah ie I cover my entire body except my eyes and hands and I make purdah from my husband's brothers. Lately after the incident of him speaking freely to my brother in laws wives I felt like not wearing my niqab anymore. Please clear my doubts. [A sister in Islam]

A.) It is necessary for a male to observe Hijab from his brother's wife (sister-in-law). Any contact whatsoever with her is prohibited. Rasulullah saws.gif said, 'Brother-in-law is death.' (Bukhari) The death being referred to in the Hadith refers is the death of spirituality.

Brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law are part of the family. They often get together and tend to socialize freely. This is very dangerous and certainly poses a death threat to one's spirituality. One has to be more cautious in adhering to the laws of Hijab in such a close family relationship. Rasulullah saws.gif also prohibited a male from going to a woman in the absence of her husband. Sister, you should discuss the issue with your husband with utmost wisdom and make him conscientious of the laws of Allah and the consequences of not following the Shari'ah. However, that should not drive you to removing your own hijab. Why should you incur the wrath of Allah on yourself due to somebody else's wrong? Two wrongs don't make a right.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Al-Balagh

• 3 years later...

Meaning of ḥadīth: Brother in law is death

Question

(1) Please can you explain the meaning of the ḥadīth, “Brother in law is death.” Does this include the husband’s brother as well as sister’s husband?

(2) Is it correct to use this ḥadīth to justify preventing the sister’s husband from coming to the parent’s house? Some people use it in this manner whilst being relaxed about ḥijāb with the husband’s brother.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

Answer

(1) The Prophet ﷺ said, “Beware of entering upon the ladies.” A man from the Anṣār said, “O Messenger of Allah, what about the ḥamw (in-laws of the wife)?” The Prophet ﷺ replied, “The ḥamw is death” (Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī, 5232; Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim, 2172).

ʿAllāmah Ibn Baṭṭāl al-Mālikī (d. 449/1057) explains that the meaning of this ḥadīth is that a person should not enter upon non-Maḥram women and spend time with them alone. Further, the Prophet ﷺ was asked regarding the ḥamw. Ḥamw in this ḥadīth refers to the relatives of the husband such as his brother, uncle and nephew. It does not include the Maḥārim such as the father in law, according to the preferred view. In addition, there is no difference of opinion that it does not refer to the wife’s sister’s husband, although the prohibition is equally applicable to him as understood from the first part of the ḥadīth.

The Prophet ﷺ explained that the (non-Maḥram) in laws are death. ʿAllāmah Ibn Baṭṭāl al-Mālikī (d. 449/1057) and others explain that interaction with the non-Maḥram in laws alone is tantamount to death and one should fear it just as one fears death. Qāḍī ʿIyāḍ (d. 544/1149) suggests that this can lead to temptation and the destruction of one’s faith, which is akin to death. ʿAllāmah Abū al-ʿAbbās al-Qurṭubī (d. 656/1258) adds that it could actually lead to the punishment of death, if adultery is committed. He also adds that it could lead to divorce, which for a woman, is akin to death. Some scholars suggest that the meaning of the ḥadīth is that a person should die instead of perpetrating this sin. Some others suggest that there are two letters in the word mawt (death) which are also found in ḥamw (in laws). Some others suggest that the meaning is that a woman is not secure and therefore the only thing that should accompany her alone is death. These three meanings appear to be weak. There are also several other possible meanings mentioned by ḥadīth commentators, as outlined in the Arabic text below.

There are obvious reasons why the Prophet ﷺ warned against unlawful interactions with the non-maḥram in laws and described them as death. First, it is relatively easier for family members to enter the house and engage in sin, as they are not treated like strangers. Second, people are generally more careless in this regard, as opposed to a stranger entering upon a female alone. Third, the consequences of this are greater in terms of family relationships and breakdowns.

(2) The ḥadīth prohibits entering upon and spending time alone with a non-Maḥram female. This applies equally to the husband’s brother as well as the sister’s husband. As far as both visiting the parent’s house, this is permitted so long as there are other people in the house and the rules of ḥijāb are not violated. If the wife is alone in the parent’s house, it will not be permissible for the husband’s brother to enter the house and be alone with the sister in law just as it would be prohibited for the wife’s husband to enter the house and be alone with the sister in law.

In short, the ḥadīth cannot be used to justify the prevention of the sister’s husband from coming to the parent’s house so long as there are other people present. However, ḥijāb must be maintained and all unnecessary interaction and communication with the non-Maḥarim, which includes the brother in law from both sides, should be avoided. This includes communication via social media. It is worth noting that Qāḍī ʿIyāḍ (d. 544/1149) wrote nearly a millennium ago that in this era of turmoil, caution should be exercised even if there is more than one non-Maḥram male entering upon a female who is alone. This demonstrates the importance of exercising caution in this era.

١) عن عقبة بن عامر أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: إياكم والدخول على النساء. فقال رجل من الأنصار: يا رسول الله، أفرأيت الحمو؟ قال: الحمو الموت. رواه البخاري (٥٢٣٢) ومسلم (٢١٧٢). وفي طريق عند مسلم: يقول الليث بن سعد: الحمو أخ الزوج وما أشبهه من أقارب الزوج ابن العم ونحوه، انتهى. قال ابن الجوزي في كشف المشكل (٤/١٣٩): لا أدري من أي وجه قال هذا الليث إلا أن يكون أراد ذكر من يحرم على المرأة، فلا يكون تفسيرا للحمو، انتهى۔

وقال ابن بطال في شرح البخاري (٧/٣٥٩): قال الطبري: الحمو عند العرب كل من كان من قبل الزوج أخا كان أو أبا أو عما فهم الأحماء. فأما أم الزوج فكان الأصمعي يقول: هي حماة الرجل، لا يجوز غير ذلك، ولا لغة فيها غيرها. وإنما عنى بقوله: الحمو الموت، أن خلوة الحمو بامرأة أخيه أو امرأة ابن أخيه بمنزلة الموت في مكروه خلوته بها. وكذلك تقول العرب إذا وصفوا الشيء يكرهونه إلى الموصوف له، قالوا: ما هو إلا الموت، كقول الفرزدق لجرير: فإني أنا الموت الذي هو واقع بنفسك فانظر كيف أنت مزاوله. وقال ثعلب: سألت ابن الأعرابي عن قوله: الحمو الموت، فقال: هذه كلمة تقولها العرب مثلا كما تقول: الأسد الموت، أي لقاؤه الموت، وكما تقول: السلطان نار، أي مثل النار، فالمعنى احذروه كما تحذرون الموت. وقال أبو عبيد: معناه فليمت ولا يفعل ذلك، وهو بعيد، وإنما الوجه ما قاله ابن الأعرابي، انتهى كلام ابن بطال. ونظيره – كما أفاده الوالد المفتي شبير أحمد حفظه الله ورعاه – ما روى أبو داود (٢٤٨٩) مرفوعا: لا يركب البحر إلا حاج أو معتمر أو غاز في سبيل الله، فإن تحت البحر نارا وتحت النار بحرا. قال الخطابي في معالم السنن (٢/٢٣٨): تأويله تفخيم أمر البحر وتهويل شأنه، وذلك لأن الآفة تسرع إلى راكبه ولا يؤمن الهلاك في ملابسة النار ومداخلتها والدنو منها، انتهى. وراجع المرقاة (٦/٢٤٨٤) والعرف الشذي (١/١٠٤). والحديث ضعفه الخطابي وكذا ابن عبد البر في التمهيد (١/٢٤٠) والعيني في عمدة القاري (١٤/٨٧). وذكره البخاري في التاريخ الكبير (٢/١٠٣) في ترجمة بشير بن مسلم الكندي وقال: لم يصح حديثه، انتهى. وراجع تهذيب التهذيب (١/٤٦٧)۔

وقال البغوي في شرح السنة (٩/٢٦): الحمو جمعه الأحماء، وهم الأصهار من قبل الزوج، والأَختان من قبل المرأة. والأصهار تجمع الفريقين أيضا. وأراد ههنا أخا الزوج، فإنه لا يكون محرما للمرأة. وإن كان أراد أبا الزوج وهو محرم، فكيف بمن ليس بمحرم، انتهى. ونحوه في كلام أبي عبيد على ما نقله البيهقي في شعب الإيمان (٧/٣٠٩) وغيره، لكن قال القاضي عياض في إكمال المعلم (٧/٦١): يريد في هذا لما فيه من الغرر المؤدي إلى الموت، فكذلك الخلو بالأحماء مؤد إلى الفتنة والهلاك في الدين، فجعله كهلاك الموت، فأورد هذا الكلام مورد التغليظ والتشديد. والأشبه أنه في غير أبي الزوج ومن عدا المحارم منهم والله أعلم بدليل قوله في الحديث المتقدم: إلا أن يكون ناكحا أو ذا محرم. فقد فسر أن الحرج والمنع إنما هو لغير ذوي المحارم، انتهى. ونحوه في كلام التوربشتي، قال في شرح المصابيح (٣/٧٤٠): والذي ذهب إليه أبو عبيد في تخصيص أب الزوج بالحمو غير سديد، لكونه محرما مأذونا له في الدخول على زوجة ابنه، شهد بذلك التنزيل، قال الله تعالى: ولا يبدين زينتهن إلا لبعولتهن أو آبائهن أو آباء بعولتهن. والوجه فيه أن السائل أطلق القول في الحمو، ولم يبين عن أي الأحماء يسأل، فإن الحمو يتناول عند الإطلاق أخ الزوج الذي هو غير محرم، كما يتناول أب الزوج الذي هو محرم، فرد عليه قوله، كالغضب المنكر عليه لتعميته في السؤال، ثم لجمعه باللفظ الواحد بين من لا يجوز له الدخول عليها، وبين من يجوز له، انتهى. زاد علي القاري (٥/٢٠٥١): أو وقع الحكم تغليبا أو لأن بعضهم مستثنى شرعا معلوم عندهم، انتهى. وهذا أوجه، فالظاهر أن السؤال كان عن غير المحارم۔

وهكذا قال النووي في شرح المهذب (٤/٢٧٨): الحمو قرابة الزوج، والمراد هنا قريب تحل له كأخ الزوج وعمه وابنهما وخاله وغيرهم. وأما أبوه وابنه وجده فهم محارم تجوز لهم الخلوة وإن كانوا من الأحماء. وقال في شرح مسلم (١٤/١٥٤): معناه أن الخوف منه أكثر من غيره والشر يتوقع منه والفتنة أكثر، لتمكنه من الوصول إلى المرأة والخلوة من غير أن ينكر عليه، بخلاف الأجنبي. والمراد بالحمو هنا أقارب الزوج غير آبائه وأبنائه. فأما الآباء والأبناء فمحارم لزوجته تجوزلهم الخلوة بها ولايوصفون بالموت. وانما المراد الأخ وابن الأخ والعم وابنه ونحوهم ممن ليس بمحرم، وعادة الناس المساهلة فيه، ويخلو بامرأة أخيه. فهذا هو الموت، وهو أولى بالمنع من الأجنبي لما ذكرناه. فهذا الذي ذكرته هو صواب معنى الحديث، انتهى۔

وقال أبو العباس القرطبي في المفهم (٥/٥٠١): دخوله على زوجة أخيه يشبه الموت في الاستقباح والمفسدة، أي فهو محرم معلوم التحريم. وإنما بالغ في الزجر عن ذلك وشبهه بالموت لتسامح الناس في ذلك من جهة الزوج والزوجة، لإلفهم لذلك، حتى كأنه ليس بأجنبي من المرأة عادة، وخرج هذا مخرج قول العرب: الأسد الموت، والحرب الموت، أي لقاؤه يفضي إلى الموت. وكذلك دخول الحمو على المرأة يفضي إلى موت الدين، أو إلى موتها بطلاقها عند غيرة الزوج، أو برجمها إن زنت معه، انتهى۔

وقال ابن قرقول في مطالع الأنوار (٢/٢٩٩): وقيل: لعله إنما قال: الحمو الموت لما فيه من أحرف الموت، فإن فيه الحاء والميم، وهما من الحمام الذي هو الموت، وهذا ضعيف، انتهى۔

وقال الحافظ في الفتح (٩/٣٣٢): وقال صاحب مجمع الغرائب: يحتمل أن يكون المراد أن المرأة إذا خلت فهي محل الآفة ولا يؤمن عليها أحد فليكن حموها الموت، أي لا يجوز لأحد أن يخلو بها إلا الموت، كما قيل: نعم الصهر القبر، وهذا لائق بكمال الغيرة والحمية، انتهى۔

ثم إن عم الحديث المحارم أيضا فيحتمل أن يراد به ما قال ابن الأثير في النهاية (١/٤٤٨) واللفظ للحافظ في الفتح (٩/٣٣٢): المعنى أن خلوة المحرم بها أشد من خلوة غيره من الأجانب، لأنه ربما حسن لها أشياء وحملها على أمور تثقل على الزوج من التماس ما ليس في وسعه، فتسوء العشرة بين الزوجين بذلك، ولأن الزوج قد لا يؤثر أن يطلع والد زوجته أو أخوها على باطن حاله ولا على ما اشتمل عليه اهـ قال الحافظ: فكأنه قال: الحمو الموت أي لا بد منه ولا يمكن حجبه عنها كما أنه لا بد من الموت، وأشار إلى هذا الأخير الشيخ تقي الدين في شرح العمدة، انتهى. وراجع إحكام الأحكام للشيخ تقي الدين بن دقيق العيد (٢/١٨١)۔

٢) ثم قال القاضي عياض (٧/٦١): قوله: لا يدخل رجل على امرأة مغيبة إلا معه رجل أو اثنان: هذا لئلا يحصل الخلو معها، فإذا كانوا جماعة ارتفعت التهمة. فأما في الأزمنة الفاسدة فلا يجب أن يخلو بالمرأة لا واحد ولا أكثر للحقوق المظنة بهم، إلا أن يكون الجماعة الكثيرة أو يكون فيها قوم صالحون، ومن يعرف أنه لا يتواطأ على ريبة فتزول المظنة بحضوره، انتهى۔

Allah knows best

Yusuf Shabbir

9 Jumādā al-Ūlā 1439 / 26 January 2018

Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmed and Mufti Muhammad Tahir

Nawadir.org