• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Misuse of the Tongue

think-before-speak-300x129.pngHazrat Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Daamat Barakaatuhu) mentioned:

Misuse of the tongue can be extremely dangerous and disastrous. We don’t realise what trauma and disaster it can cause. The Hadeeth says: “Promise me the protection of the tongue, I promise you Jannat.” It is an extremely important matter. Even if you are right you need to think how to speak correctly.

• 11 months later...
From the Majlis of Mufti Ebrahim Desai

A Sahabi asked Rasulullah ﷺ what is (the means) of (eternal) salvation. Rasulullah ﷺ mentioned three things;

1.      Be a master of your tongue.

2.      May your house encompass you.

3.      And cry over your sins.

Mufti Saheb then elaborated on each point. Hereunder are some important points on each point.

Imam Gazali (Rahimahullah) in Ihyaa has referred to various parts of limbs of the body and their benefits and harms. He referred to the tongue as small in size  and major in crime. Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (Rahimahullah) used to advise; *Pehle tolo, phir bolo. (First weigh, then talk).*

Imaam Shafee (Rahimahullah) used to ponder before responding to anyone. When asked for the reason, he said, I think if there is goodness in what I am about to say, then I say it or else I withhold myself.

On the second point Mufti Saheb referred to another angle of the hadith. Be good to members of your house, they will love you and you would want to stay in the house. Mufti Saheb said, nowadays people daunt going to their houses because of the character and conduct of the members of the house.