IslamicTeachings.org

The Accepted Whispers: Munajaat-e-Maqbul

DU’AA SEEKING FORGIVENESS AND INVITING ALLAH TA’AALA’S MERCY

-اَللّٰهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِيْ وَارْ حَمْنِيْ وَ عَافِنِيْ وَارْزُقْنِيْ

Allaahummagh-fir lii war-hamnii wa ‘aafinii war-zuqnii. (Tariq al-Ashja’i. Sahih Muslim #4897)

O Allah, forgive my sins, have mercy on me, give me health and safety, and provide me with sustenance.

~~~Ameen~~~

This du’aa teaches us that seeking forgiveness for our sins invites Allah’s mercy, which in turn assures both protection and provisions. As other ahadith remind us, anyone looking for a way out of his or her difficulties should engage in istighfaar (seeking forgiveness from Allah) profusely.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #53 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• Like 1

DU’AA TO ALWAYS DO, AND BE ABLE TO DO, GOOD

duaa-541.jpg?w=620

Allaahumma innii a’uudhu bika minal-‘ajz(i), wal-kasal(i), wal-jubn(i), wal-haram(i), wal-maghram(i), wal-ma’tham(i), wa min ‘adhaabin-naari wa fitnatin-naar(i), wa fitnatil-qabri wa ‘adhaabil-qabr(i), wa sharri fitnatil-ghinaa, wa sharri fitnatil-faqr(i), wa min sharri fitnatil-masiihid-dajjaal(i), wa min fitnatil-mahyaa wal-mamaar(i), wa minal-qaswa(ti), wal-ghafla(ti), wal-‘ayla(ti), wadh-dhilla(ti), wal-maskana(ti), wal-kufr(i), wal fusuuq(i), wash-shiqaaq(i), was-sum’ati war-riyaa'(i), wa minas-samami wal-bakam(i), wal-junuuni wal-judhaami wa sayyi’il-‘asqaam(i), wa dala’id-dayn(i), wa minal-hammi wal-hazan(i), wal-bukhl(i), wa ghalabatir-rijaal(i), wa min an uradda ilaa ardhalil-‘umur(i), wa fitnatid-dunyaa, wa min ‘ilmin laa yanfa'(u), wa min qalbin laa yakhsha'(u), wa min nafsin laa tashba'(u), wa min da’watin laa yustajaabu lahaa.

(Composite: Anas ibn Malik, Mustadrak Hakim #144/1944; ‘A’ishah. Sahih al-Bukhari #5898; Ibid. Sahih al-Bukhari #789; Anas ibn Malik. Sahih al-Bukhari #2679; Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas. Sahih al-Bukhari #2610; Zayd ibn Arqam. Sahih Muslim #4899)

O Allah, I seek Your protection from helplessness, lethargy, cowardice, senility, debt, and sinfulness; from the punishment of Fire, the ordeal of Fire, the tribulation of the grave, the punishment in the grave, and the evil tribulations of affluence and of poverty; from the evil tribulation of the Anti-Christ; from the tests of life and death; from the hardness of heart, heedlessness, economic dependence, humiliation, indigence, unbelief, transgression, dissension, and seeking fame and showing off; from deafness, dumbness, lunacy, leprosy, and all painful diseases; from the burden of debt, worries, grief, stinginess, and coercion of the people; from reaching debilitating old age; and from the tribulations of this world, the knowledge that does not benefit, the heart that does not submit to Allah, the soul that is never satiated, and the du’aa that is not accepted.

~~~Ameen~~~

Helplessness and lethargy: ‘ajz refers to lack of ability; kasal refers to lack of willingness. This is a du’aa that we always are both able and willing to do good.

One day Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) saw Abu Umamah (ra) sitting in the masjid when it was not time for salaat. Upon inquiry he said, “Worries and debt have afflicted me.” Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) replied, “Shall I not teach you words that when you say them Allah will drive away your worries and discharge your debt?” Then he taught him to say the following du’aa every morning and evening:

duaa-54-2.jpg?w=620

Abu Umamah (ra) reports that he did as told and Allah Ta’aala removed his worries and his debt was paid.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #54 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• Like 1

DU’AA: MY LORD, HELP ME AND DO NOT HELP MY ENEMIES AGAINST ME…

duaa-55.jpg?w=620

Rabbi a’innii wa laa tu’in ‘alayy(a), wan-surnii wa laa tansur ‘alayy(a), wam-kur lii wa laa tamkur ‘alayy(a), wah-dinii wa yassir liyal-hudaa, wan-surnii ‘alaa mam baghaa ‘alayy(a). Rabbij-‘alnii laka shakkaara(n), laka dhakkaara(n), laka rahhaaba(n), laka mitwaa’a(n), laka mukhbita(n), ilayka awwaaham muniiba(n). Rabbi taqabbal tawbatii, wagh-sil hawbatii, wa ajib da’watii, wa thabbit hujjatii, wa saddid lisaanii, wah-di qalbii, was-lul sakhiimata sadrii. (‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas. Sunan at-Tirmidhi #3474)

My Lord, help me and do not help my enemies against me. Aid me to victory and do not aid my enemies against me. Use Your plan for me and do not use Your plan against me. Guide me and make it easy for me to follow the guidance. Aid me to victory against those who act wrongfully toward me. My Lord, make me one who is most grateful to You, who constantly remembers You, who is full of fear toward You, who is fully obedient to You, who is humble before You, who is earnest in supplication to You, and who always turns to You. My Lord, accept my repentance, wash away my sin, grant my supplication, establish my evidence, make my speech upright, guide my heart, and throw out malice from my bosom.

~~~Ameen~~~

do not use Your plan against me: This may happen with a person who is engaged in worship to Allah but his worship is rejected because of its lack of sincerity while he thinks it is accepted (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhi).

establish my evidence: against Your enemies in this world and the Hereafter and in front of the angles in the grave (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhi).

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #55 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• Like 1

DU’AA SEEKING FORGIVENESS AND ALLAH TA’AALA’S MERCY, PROTECTION AND ACCEPTANCE

-اَللّٰهُمَّ اغْفِرْلَنَا، وَارْحَمْنَا، وَارْضَ عَنَّا، وَتَقَبَّلْ مِنَّا، وَأَدْخِلْنَا الجَنَّةَ، وَنَجِّنَامِنَ النَّارِ، وَأَصْلِحْ لَنَاشَأْنَنَاكُلَّه

Allaahummagh-fir lanaa, war-hamnaa, war-da ‘annaa, wa taqabbal minnaa, wa adkhilnal-Janna(ta), wa najjinaa minan-Naar(i), wa aslih lanaa sha’nanaa kullah. (Abu Umamah al-Bahili. Sunan Ibn Majah #3826)

O Allah, forgive us. Have mercy on us. Be pleased with us. Accept from us. Admit us to Paradise and protect us from Hell. And set right all our affairs.

~~~Ameen~~~

This is du’aa #56 in Mawlana Ashraf ‘Ali Thanawi’s Munajat-e-Maqbul (translated as the Accepted Whispers by Khalid Baig) and is listed under the Sunday collection of daily du’aas.

• Like 1

DU’AA FOR THE JOINING OF HEARTS AND MENDING OF RELATIONSHIPS…

اَللّٰهُمَّ أَلِّفْ بَيْنَ قُلُوبِنَا وَأَصْلِحْ ذَاتَ بَيْنِنَا وَاهْدِنَا سُبُلَ السَّلاَمِ وَنَجِّنَا مِنَ الظُّلُمَاتِ إِلَى النُّورِ وَجَنِّبْنَا الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ وَبَارِكْ لَنَا فِي أَسْمَاعِنَا وَأَبْصَارِنَا وَقُلُوبِنَا وَأَزْوَاجِنَا وَذُرِّيَّاتِنَا وَتُبْ عَلَيْنَا إِنَّكَ أَنْتَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ وَاجْعَلْنَا شَاكِرِينَ لِنِعْمَتِكَ مُثْنِينَ بِهَا قَابِلِيهَا وَأَتِمَّهَا عَلَيْنَا

Allaahumma allif bayna quluubinaa, wa aslih dhaata bayninaa, wah-dinaa subulas-salaam(i), wa najjinaa minaz-zulumaati ilan-nuur(i), wa jannibnal-fawaahisha maa zahara minhaa wa maa batan(a), wa baarik lanaa fii asmaa’inaa wa absaarinaa wa quluubinaa wa azwaajinaa wa dhurriyyaatinaa, wa tub- ‘alaynaa, innaka antat-Tawwaabur-Rahiim(u), waj-‘alnaa shaakiriina lini’matik(a), muthniina bihaa qaabiliihaa, wa atimmahaa ‘alaynaa. (‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud. Sunan Abi Dawud #825)

O Allah, join our hearts, mend our relationships, and guide us to the paths of peace. Bring us out of darkness into light and keep us away from manifest and  concealed obscenities. Bless us in our ears,our eyes, our hearts, our spouses, and our offspring. Accept our repentance. Indeed, You are the Most Forgiving, the Most Merciful. Make us grateful for  Your blessings, so we receive them with due praise. And perfect them for us.

~~~Ameen~~~

According to Sayyidna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (ra), Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) used to teach this du’aa to his Companions for saying in the salaat before the ending salaam.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #57 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• Like 1

A TREASURE OF A DU’AA

اَللّٰهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الثَّبَاتَ فِي الأَمْرِ وَأَسْأَلُكَ عَزِيمَةَ الرُّشْدِ وَأَسْأَلُكَ شُكْرَ نِعْمَتِكَ وَحُسْنَ عِبَادَتِكَ وَأَسْأَلُكَ لِسَانًا صَادِقًا وَقَلْبًا سَلِيمًا وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا تَعْلَمُ وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ خَيْرِ مَا تَعْلَمُ وَأَسْتَغْفِرُكَ مِمَّا تَعْلَمُ إِنَّكَ أَنْتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُيُوبِ

Allaahumma innii as’alukath-thabaata fil-‘amr(i), wa as’aluka ‘aziimatar-rushd(i), wa as’aluka shukra ni’matik(a), wa husna ibaadatik(a), wa as’aluka lisaanan saadiqa(n), wa qalban saliima(n), wa khuluqam mustaqiima(n), wa a’uudhu bika min sharri maa ta’lam(u), wa as’aluka min khayri maa ta’lam(u), wa astaghfiruka mimmaa ta’lam(u), innaka anta ‘Allaamul-ghuyuub. (Shaddaad ibn ‘Aws. Sunan at-Tirmidhii #3329; Ibid. Mustadrak Haakim #72/1872)

O Allah, I beg You for steadfastness in religious affairs. I beg You for determination to follow the guidance. I beg You to enable me to show gratitude for Your bounties and to worship You with the best devotion. I beg You for a truthful tongue, a sound heart, and an upright character. I seek Your protection from the evil of all that only You are aware of. I beg You for the good that only You know. And I seek forgiveness from You for what You know (of my sins). Surely, You are the All-Knowing of the hidden.

~~~Ameen~~~

sound heart: one that is protected from corrupted beliefs and evil desires (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhii).

The Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) used to say this du’aa in the last sitting of the fourth rak’ah before the ending salaam. It is reported that after teaching this du’aa to Sayyidnaa Shaddaad ibn Aws (ra), Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) said: “When you see people collecting gold and silver as treasures, consider this du’aa as your treasure.”

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #58 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• Like 1

DU’AA FOR FORGIVENESS

-اَللّٰهُمَّ اغْفِرْلِيْ مَا قَدَّ مْتُ وَ مَا أَخَّرْ تُ، وَ مَا أَسْرَ رْ تُ وَ مَا أَعْلَنْتُ، وَ مَا أَنْتَ أَ عْلَمُ بِهٖ مِنِّيْ

Allahummagh-fir lii maa qaddamtu wa maa akh-khart(u), wa maa asrartu wa maa a’lant(u), wa maa Anta a’lamu bihii minnii. (‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar. Mustadrak Hakim #134/1934)

O Allah, forgive what I did earlier and what I did later; what I did secretly and what I did publicly; and whatever you know more than I.

~~~Ameen~~~

According to Sayyidnaa ‘Ali (ra) Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) used to say this du’aa after finishing the salaat.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #59 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• Like 1

A BEAUTIFUL DU’AA

اللَّهُمَّ اقْسِمْ لَنَا مِنْ خَشْيَتِكَ مَا يَحُولُ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَ مَعَاصِيكَ وَمِنْ طَاعَتِكَ مَا تُبَلِّغُنَا بِهِ جَنَّتَكَ وَمِنَ الْيَقِينِ مَا تُهَوِّنُ بِهِ عَلَيْنَا مُصِيبَاتِ الدُّنْيَا وَمَتِّعْنَا بِأَسْمَاعِنَا وَأَبْصَارِنَا وَقُوَّتِنَا مَا أَحْيَيْتَنَا وَاجْعَلْهُ الْوَارِثَ مِنَّا وَاجْعَلْ ثَأْرَنَا عَلَى مَنْ ظَلَمَنَا وَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى مَنْ عَادَانَا وَلاَ تَجْعَلْ مُصِيبَتَنَا فِي دِينِنَا وَلاَ تَجْعَلِ الدُّنْيَا أَكْبَرَ هَمِّنَا وَلاَ مَبْلَغَ عِلْمِنَا وَلاَ تُسَلِّطْ عَلَيْنَا مَنْ لاَ يَرْحَمُنَا

Allāhumma-qsim lanā min khashyatika mā yaḥūlu, bainanā wa baina ma`āṣīka wa min ṭā`atika mā tuballighuna bihī jannatak, wa minal-yaqīni mā tuhawwinu bihī `alainā muṣībatid-dunyā, wa matti`na bi-asmā`inā wa abṣārina wa quwwatina mā aḥyaytanā, waj`alhul-wāritha minnā, waj`al tha’ranā `alā man ẓalamanā, wanṣurna `alā man `ādānā, wa lā taj`al muṣībatanā fī dīninā, wa lā taj`alid-dunyā akbara hamminā wa lā mablagha `ilminā, wa lā tusalliṭ `alainā man lā yarḥamunā (‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar. Jami' at-Tirmidhi #3502)

O Allah, grant us that fear of You which You may drive between us and our disobedience to You. Grant us that obedience to You with which You may lead us to Paradise. Give us that faith with which You will lighten the worldly hardships for us. Grant us the use of our ears, eyes, and other faculties as long as You keep us alive. And make these our survivors. Make our revenge target (only) those who oppress us. Help us to victory over the one who displays enmity to us. Do not let our misfortunes hit our religion. Do not make this world our greatest concern and the sum total of our knowledge. And do not impose over us one who shows no mercy to us.

~~~Ameen~~~

make these our survivors: In other words may we enjoy all our faculties until we breathe our last.

Make our revenge target (only) those who oppress us: Make our revenge be limited solely to those who oppress us, and don’t make us among those who transgress in seeking their revenge and attack the innocents as well, as was customary in the Jahiliyyah period, lest we end up being wrongdoers after having been wronged (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhii).

This distinguishes revenge in Islam, which is always concerned with justice, from that in Jahiliyyah societies, ancient and modern, which are totally devoid of this concern.

Do not let our misfortunes hit our religion: Misfortunes in religion include false beliefs, consumption of haraam, and disruption of worship (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhii).

Do not make this world our greatest concern: Do not make our supreme goal and concern the obtaining of wealth and personal glory; rather make our major concern to be working for the Hereafter. This also recognizes that there are a few concerns regarding livelihood that one cannot do without and that are permitted, recommended, or even obligatory (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhii).

It was the practice of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) to end his sittings with the Companions with this du’aa.

(Sources: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #60 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul; Arabic du’aa and transliteration from Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3502, Chapters on Supplication)

RASULULLAH’S ﷺ DU’AA

UPON RECEIVING REVELATION OF

SURAH AL-MU’MINOON, AYAH 1-10

- اللَّهُمَّ زِدْنَا وَلاَ تَنْقُصْنَا وَأَكْرِمْنَا وَلاَ تُهِنَّا وَأَعْطِنَا وَلاَ تَحْرِمْنَا وَآثِرْنَا وَلاَ تُؤْثِرْ عَلَيْنَا وَأَرْضِنَا وَارْضَ عَنَّا

Allaahumma zidnaa  wa laa tanqusnaa, wa akrimnaa wa laa tuhinna, wa a’tinaa wa laa tahrimnaa, wa aathirnaa wa laa tu’thir ‘alaynaa, wa ardinaa war-da ‘annaa. (Umar ibn al-Khattab. Sunan at-Tirmidhi #3097)

O Allah, increase (Your grace) for us and do not curtail it; give us honour and do not humiliate us; give us and do not deprive us; favour us and do not favour others over us; make us be pleased with You and be please with us.

~~~Ameen~~~

The text of this du’aa does not provide any object for zidnaa  and tanqusnaa (increase and curtail). This is for generalization; we seek increase in every good and decrease in none.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #61 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

~~~

Narrated ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab [may Allah be pleased with him]:

“When revelation came to the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), one could hear what sounded like the drone of bees before his face. One day revelation was coming to him, he faced the Qiblah, raised his hands and said: ‘O Allah! Increase us, do not diminish us. Favor us, do not withhold from us, make us pleased and be pleased with us.’ He (ﷺ) said: ‘Ten Ayah were revealed to me, whoever abides by them shall enter Paradise (and they are): ‘Successful indeed are the believers…’ until the completion of then Ayat (23:1-10).”

(Source: Jami` at-Tirmidhi, Chapters on Tafsir)

SINCERELY SEEKING GUIDANCE FROM ALLAH TA’AALA

-اَللّٰهُمَّ أَلْهِمْنِيْ رُشْدِيْ

Allaahumma alhimnii rushdii. (‘Imran ibn Husayn. Sunan at-Tirmidhi #3405)

O Allah, inspire me with the right guidance for me.

~~~Ameen~~~

This very profound du’aa demands reflection. A person who is sincerely seeking guidance from Allah Ta’aala has taken the first and the most important step in getting it, since Allah Ta’aala is the source of all guidance. Whenever we are faced with a decision, we should resort to this du’aa. Additionally we can suggest this to a non-Muslim who is in search of the true religion. If he or she sincerely makes this du’aa Allah Ta’aala will open his or her heart to Islam, as has been the experience of numerous new Muslims.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #62 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

DU’AA FOR PROTECTION FROM INTERNAL CORRUPTION

-اَللّٰهُمَّ قِنِيْ شَرَّ نَفْسِيْ وَاعْزِمْ لِيْ عَليٰ أَرْ شَدِ أَمْرِيْ

Allaahumma qinii sharra nafsii wa’-zim lii ‘alaa arshadi amrii. (‘Imran ibn Husayn. Musnad Ahmad #19141)

O Allah, protect me from the evil of my self and give me the determination to do what is most right in my affairs.

~~~Ameen~~~

There are two major sources of corruption that lead one astray. One is external and the other is internal. The external is the Shaytan and his followers among the jinns and the humans. The internal is our own ego our lusts and desires. We should seek Allah’s protection against both. This du’aa is for the latter.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #63 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

DU’AA FOR ‘AFIYAH

- اللّٰهُمَّ أِنِّيْ أَسْأَ لُكَ الْعَا فِيَةَ فِي الدُّ نْيَاوَالْاٰ خِرَةِ

Allaahumma innii as’alukal-‘aafiyata fid’dunyaa wal-aakhirah. (Abu Hurayrah. Kanz al-‘Ummal #3201)

O Allah, I beg You for protection in this world and in the Hereafter.

~~~Ameen~~~

‘Afiyah means health, safety, and protection from all harmful objects. Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) said that the most beloved du’aa in the sight of Allah is the one for ‘afiyah (Sunan at-Tirmidhi).

(Source: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #64 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

DU’AA BEGGING FOR ALLAH TA’AALA’S LOVE

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ فِعْلَ الْخَيْرَاتِ وَتَرْكَ الْمُنْكَرَاتِ وَحُبَّ الْمَسَاكِينِ وَأَنْ تَغْفِرَ لِي وَتَرْحَمَنِي وَإِذَا أَرَدْتَ فِتْنَةَ قَوْمٍ فَتَوَفَّنِي غَيْرَ مَفْتُونٍ أَسْأَلُكَ حُبَّكَ وَحُبَّ مَنْ يُحِبُّكَ وَحُبَّ عَمَلٍ يُقَرِّبُ إِلَى حُبِّكَ

Allaahumma innii as’aluka fi’lal-khayraat(i), wa tarkal-munkaraat(i), wa hubbal-masaakiin(i), wa an taghfira lii wa tarhamanii, wa idhaa aradtta biqawmin fitnatan fa tawaffanii ghayra maftuun(in), wa as’aluka hubbaka wa hubba man yuhibbuk(a), wa hubba ‘amalin yuqarribunii ilaa hubbik. (Mu’adh ibn Jabal. Sunan at-Tirmidhi #3259: Thawbaan ibn Bajdad. Mustadrak Hakim #132/1932)

O Allah, I beg You to enable me to do good deeds, to shun bad deeds, and to love the poor. (I beg You to) forgive me and have mercy on me. And when You plan tribulations for a people cause me to die without being put to trial. I beg for Your love, and the love of the one who loves You, and the love of such deeds that will bring me closer to Your love.

~~~Ameen~~~

Your love: Here it could mean both my love for You and Your love for me (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhi).

This du’aa was made by Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) at a special occasion when Allah Ta’aala invited him to make a du’aa. The details reported in Sunan at-Tirmidhi are as follows:

Once the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) was overtaken by sleep in the middle of his Tahajjud salaat (nightly prayer) whereby he experienced a vision in which he had a conversation with Allah Ta’aala. Allah Ta’aala asked him, what were the high-ranking angles discussing. He responded that he did not know. This happened three times. After that, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) in his vision felt His Palm on his chest and shoulders and suddenly everything became clear to him. Allah Ta’aala repeated the question and this time the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) said that they were discussing the actions that expiate sins. Allah Ta’aala asked, “What are they?” He replied, “Walking (to the masjid) to attend congregational salaat, sitting in the masjid after the salaat, and perfecting the wuduu in difficult conditions.” Allah Ta’aala asked, “What else?” The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) said, “Feeding others, talking gently, and praying at night when the people are asleep.” Then, Allah Ta’aala said, “Ask.” And in response, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) made this du’aa. After narrating this incident, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) told his Companions, “This (vision) is certainly true, so remember it (i.e. this vision and all its lessons) and teach it.”

(Sources: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #65 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul, Arabic du’aa from Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3543, Chapters on Tafsir)

DU’AA FOR LOVE OF ALLAH TA’AALA

-اللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْ حُبَّكَ أَحَبَّ إِلَىَّ مِنْ نَفْسِي وَأَهْلِي وَمِنَ الْمَاءِ الْبَارِدِ

Allaahummaj-‘al hubbaka ahabba ilayya min nafsii wa ahlii wa minal-maa’il-baarid. (Abu ad-Darda. Sunan at-Tirmidhi #3412)

O Allah, make Your love dearer to me than myself, my family, and cold water.

~~~Ameen~~~

Refreshing cold water on a hot summer day in the desert is one of the great comforts of this world. Our du’aa is that our love for Allah Ta’aala should be greater than our love for this comfort.

(Sources: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #66 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul; Arabic du’aa from Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3490, Chapters on Supplication – refer to for details on the hadeeth and full du’aa of Dawud (as))

DU’AA TO SET OUR PERSPECTIVE RIGHT

اللَّهُمَّ ارْزُقْنِي حُبَّكَ وَحُبَّ مَنْ يَنْفَعُنِي حُبُّهُ عِنْدَكَ اللَّهُمَّ مَا رَزَقْتَنِي مِمَّا أُحِبُّ فَاجْعَلْهُ قُوَّةً لِي فِيمَا تُحِبُّ اللَّهُمَّ وَمَا زَوَيْتَ عَنِّي مِمَّا أُحِبُّ فَاجْعَلْهُ لِي فَرَاغًا فِيمَا تُحِبُّ

Allāhummarzuqnī ḥubbuka, wa ḥubba man yanfa`unī ḥubbuhū `indak. Allāhumma mā razaqtanī mimmā uḥibbu faj`alhu quwwatan lī fīmā tuḥibb. Allāhumma wa mā zawaita `annī mimmā uḥibbu faj`alhu farāghan lī fīmā tuḥibb. ('Abdullah ibn Yazid al-Khatami al-Ansari. Sunan at-Tirmidhi)

O Allah, provide me with Your love and the love of those whose love will benefit me with You. O Allah, whatever you provided to me of the things that I love, make them a source of strength for me in pursuing what You love. O Allah, and whatever you kept away from me of the things that I crave, make their absence free up time that I can devote to whatever You love.

Ameen

Of the things of this world that we love,t here will be some that we get and others that we cannot. This wonderful du’aa can set our perspective right so neither our achievements nor our failures in getting the desired things distract us from the love of Allah Ta’aala. By subordinating all our loves to the love of Allah Ta’aala, we achieve inner peace and contentment.

(Sources: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #67 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul; Arabic du’aa and transliteration from Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3491, Chapters on Supplication – refer to the link for details on the hadeeth and a slightly different translation of the du’aa)

DU’AA TO THE TURNER OF HEARTS

- يَا مُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوْبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِيْ عَلٰ دِيْنِكَ

Yaa Muqallibal-quluubi thabbit qalbii ‘alaa diinik. (Anas ibn Malik. Sunan at-Tirmidhi #2066)

O Turner of hearts, keep my heart steadfast on Your religion.

~~~Ameen~~~

We should always be alert to the horrible possibility that our hearts turn away from the religion under the influence of Shaytan or our own inclinations towards evil. That is why we seek Allah’s help against that. It is reported by Um Salamah (ra) that the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) used to make this du’aa very frequently.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #68 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

• 1 month later...

DU’AA OF ‘ABDULLAH IBN MAS’UD (RA)

اَللّٰهُمَّ أِنِّيْ أَسْأَلُكَ أِيْمَا نًأ لَّا يَرْتَدُّ وَنَعِيْمًا لَّا يَنْفَدُ-وَمُرَا فَقَةَ نَبِيِّنَا مُحَمَّدٍ صَلَّى ا للّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَ سَلَّمَ فِيْ أَ عْلىٰ دَرَجَةِ الْجَنَّةِ جَنَّةِ ا لْخُلْدِ

Allaahumma inniii as’aluka iimaanan laa yartaddu wa na’iiman la yanfadu wa muraafaqata nabiyyinaa Muhammadin sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallama fii a’laa darajatil-Jannati Jannatil-khuld. (‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud. Kanz al-‘Ummal #5088; Ibid. Mustadrak Hakim #128/1928)

O Allah, I beg You for the faith that will not be shaken, the blessings that will not end, and the company of our Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) in the highest section of the eternal Paradise.

~~~Ameen~~~

This du’aa has a very moving background. One night the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) was walking with his Companions when they passed by ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (ra) who was reciting the Qur’an in his nafl salaat. As they stopped to listen, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) commented that ‘Abdullah recited the Qur’an so tenderly as it was revealed. As ‘Abdullah finished his salaat and was making supplications, the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) exclaimed twice: “Ask and you will be given!” Sayyidnaa ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (ra) was later asked what du’aa he was making at that time. He replied with this one.

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #69 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

DU’AA FOR HEALTH, FAITH, GOOD MANNERS, SUCCESS, SAFETY AND FORGIVENESS

اَللّۢهُمَّ أِنِّيْ أَسْأَلُكَ صِحَّةً فِيْ أِ يْمَانٍ،وَّأِيْمَانًافِيْ حُسْنِ خُلُقٍ،وَّنَجَاحًا يَّتْبَعُهٗ فَلَاحٌ، وَّرَ حْمَةً مِّنْكَ وَ عَافِيَةً، وَّ مَغْفِرَةً مِّنْكَ وَرِضْوَانًا

Allaahumma innii as’aluka sihhatan fii iimaan(in), wa iimaanan fii husni khuluq(in), wa najaahan yatba’uhuu falaah(un), wa rahmatam minka wa ‘aafiya(tan), wa maghfiratam minka wa ridwaana. (Abu Hurayrah. Mustadrak Hakim #119/1919)

O Allah, I ask You for sound health with faith, faith with good manners, success here followed by success in the Hereafter, mercy from You, health and safety, and Your forgiveness and pleasure.

~~~Ameen~~~

(Source: Khalid Baig’s transliteration and translation of du’aa #70 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

DU’AA FOR BENEFIT

اَللّٰهُمَّ انْفَعْنِيْ بِمَاعَلَّمْتَنِيْ وَ عَلِّمْنِيْ مَا يَنْفَعُنِيْ

Allaahumman-fa’nii bimaa ‘allamatanii wa ‘allimnii maa yanfa’unii. (Anas ibn Malik. Mustadrak Hakim #79/1879)

O Allah, cause me to benefit from what You have taught me and teach me what will benefit me.

~~~Ameen~~~

‘Ilm (knowledge) gets value from possibilities of action. To benefit from ‘ilm is to act according to it. Further, truly beneficial knowledge is one that benefits one in the Hereafter. The definition also includes the knowledge that benefits one in this world and which in turn leads to the former (Tuhfah al-Ahwadhi).

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary to du’aa #71 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

A COMPREHENSIVE DU’AA

اَللّٰهُمَّ بِعِلْمِكَ الْغَيْبَ وَقُدْرَتِكَ عَلَى الْخَلْقِ أَحْيِنِي مَا عَلِمْتَ الْحَيَاةَ خَيْرًا لِي وَتَوَفَّنِي إِذَا عَلِمْتَ الْوَفَاةَ خَيْرًا لِي وَأَسْأَلُكَ خَشْيَتَكَ فِي الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ وَكَلِمَةَ الإِخْلاَصِ فِي الرِّضَا وَالْغَضَبِ وَأَسْأَلُكَ نَعِيمًا لاَ يَنْفَدُ وَقُرَّةَ عَيْنٍ لاَ تَنْقَطِعُ وَأَسْأَلُكَ الرِّضَاءَ بِالْقَضَاءِ وَبَرْدَ الْعَيْشِ بَعْدَ الْمَوْتِ وَلَذَّةَ النَّظَرِ إِلَى وَجْهِكَ وَالشَّوْقَ إِلَى لِقَائِكَ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ ضَرَّاءَ مُضِرَّةٍ وَفِتْنَةٍ مُضِلَّةٍ اللَّهُمَّ زَيِّنَّا بِزِينَةِ الإِيمَانِ وَاجْعَلْنَا هُدَاةً مُهْتَدِينَ

Allahumma bi ‘ilmikal-ghaiba wa qudratika ‘alal-khalqi ahini ma ‘alimtal-hayata khairan li, wa tawaffani idha ‘alimtal-wafata khairan li. Allahumma as’aluka khashyataka fil-ghaibi wash-shahadati wa as’aluka kalimatul-aqua fir-rida’i wal ghadab, wa as’alukal-qasda fil faqr wal-ghina, wa as’aluka na’iman la yanfadu wa as’aluka qurrata ainan la tanqati’u wa as’alukar-rida’i ba’dal-qada’i wa as’aluka bardal ‘aishi ba’dal-mawti, wa as’aluka ladhatan-nazari ila wajhika wash-shawqa ila liqa’ika fi fitnatin mudillatin, Allahumma zayyina dizinatil-imani waj’alna hudatan muhtadin  [‘Ammar ibn Yasir. Sunan an-Nasa’i #1289]

O Allah, with Your knowledge of the unseen, and Your absolute power over the creations, let me live in this world as long as You know my living is good for me, and give me death when You know death is better for me. I beg You for Your fear in secret and in public and sincere talk in times of joy and anger. I beg You for endless blessings and perpetual comfort of my eyes. I beg You that I become pleased with fate. (I beg You) for a cool, comfortable life after death; the delight of the sight of Your Countenance (after death); and the longing to meet You (before death). I seek Your protection against deeply hurting ordeals and tribulations that  lead one astray. O Allah, adorn us with the beauty of faith and make us properly guided guides for other people.

~~~Ameen~~~

joy and anger: This refers to both us and the people we are dealing with. Their joy or anger with us should not make us deviate from telling the truth any more than our joy or anger with them should.

adorn us: Beauty of the soul is superior to that of the body. Those who get it (throughimaan) will also get the beauty of the body in the Hereafter.

properly guided guides: Those who know and follow the path of guidance themselves in addition to calling others to it.

Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) used to say this du’aa in salaat after at-tahiyyat.

(Sources: Khalid Baig’s translation and commentary to du’aa #72 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul; Arabic du’aa and transliteration from Sunan an-Nasa’i 1306, Book of Forgetfulness (in Prayer) – refer to the link for details on the hadeeth and a different translation of the du’aa)

~~~

DU’AA FOR GOOD

-اَللّٰهُمَّ أِنِّيْ أَسْأَلُكَ مِنَ الْخَيْرِ كُلِّهٖ٬ عَاجِلِهٖ وَاٰجِلِهٖ٬ مَا عَلِمْتُ مِنْهُ وَ مَا لَمْ أَعْلَمْ

Allaahumma innii as’aluka minal-khayri kullih(ii), ‘aajilihii wa aajilih(i), maa ‘alimtu minhu wa maa lam a’lam. [‘Aishah. Sunan Ibn Majah #3836]

O Allah, I beg You for all the good, immediate and in the future; that of which I know and that of which I know not.

~~~Ameen~~~

(Source: Khalid Baig’s transliteration and translation of du’aa #73 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

DU’AA FOR EVERY GOOD THAT RASULULLAH (SALLALLAHU ALAYHI WA SALLEM) ASKED FOR

اَللّٰهُمَّ أِنِّيْ أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ خَيْرِ مَا سَأَلَكَ عَبْدُكَ وَ نَبِيُّكَ. اَللّٰهُمَّ أِنِّيْ أَسْأَلُكَ الْجَنَّةَ وَ مَا قَرَّبَ أِلَيْهَامِنْ قَوْلٍ أَوْ عَمَلٍ، وَّ أَ سْأَلُكَ أَنْ تَجْعَلَ كُلَّ قَضَاءٍ قَضَيْتَهٗ لِيْ خَيْرًا، وَّأَسْأَلُكَ مَا قَضَيْتَ لِيْ مِنْ أَ مْرٍ أَنْ تَجْعَلَ عَا قِبَتَهٗ رُشْدًاـ

Allaahumma innii as’aluka min khayri maa sa’alaka ‘abduka wa nabiyyuk(a). Allaahumma innii as’alukal-Jannata wa maa qarraba ilayhaa min qawlin aw ‘amal(in), wa as’aluka an taj’ala kulla qadaa’in qadaytahuu lii khayra(n), wa as’aluka maa qadayta lii min amrin an taj’ala aqibatuhuu rushda. [‘A’ishah. Sunnan Ibn Majah #3836; Ibid. Mustadrak Hakim #114/1914]

O Allah, I beg You for every good that Your servant and Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallem) asked You for. O Allah, I beg You for Paradise and all words or actions that may bring me closer to it. I beg You that You make every decree of fate good for me. And I beg You that whatever decisions You make for me, make their end good.

~~~Ameen~~~

A famous hadith says that everything that Allah Ta’aala brings about is good for the believer. If it is a blessing he is thankful for it and if it is a hardship he shows patience in facing it. In both cases the end result is good for him. Is there a contradiction between that hadith and this du’aa? Not at all. The hadith describes the attitude of a true believer. The du’aa here is that we develop that attitude and conviction that will help us in all the ups and downs of this life (Fayd al-Qadir).

(Source: Khalid Baig’s commentary of  du’aa #74 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)

Alhamdulillah! JazakAllah khayran sister! Alhamdulillah, I made the correction just now. The laam and baa are right next to each other on the keyboard but that's no excuse - I should've double, triple, quadruple checked. 

This goes for any and all who read here or on my blog: inshaallah, please do let me know whenever you notice errors. Alhamdulillah, the errors are mine and I appreciate the opportunity to correct them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DU’AA FOR THE END OF ALL OUR AFFAIRS

اَللّٰهُمَّ أَحْسِنْ عَا قِبَتَنَا فِي الْأُمُوْرِ كُلِهَا، وَأَجِرْ نَا مِنْ خِزْيِ اللدُّ نْيَا وَ عَذَابِ الْاٰخِرَةِ ـ

Allaahumma ahsin ‘aaqibatanaa fil-‘umuuri kullihaa, wa ajirnaa min khizyid-dunyaa wa ‘adhaabil-aakhirah. [busr ibn Artat al-Qurashi. Musnad Ahmad #16970]

O Allah, make the end of all our affairs the best and save us from disgrace in this world and punishment in the Hereafter.

~~~Ameen~~~

(Source: Khalid Baig’s translation of  du’aa #75 in the Accepted Whispers: Munajat-e-Maqbul)