IslamicTeachings.org

Remember Death

ummtaalib

• 4 weeks later...

O! You Muslims who are…

1. Desirous to drive large, shiny cars,
     REMEMBER: You will be driven one day as a horizontal passenger.
  2. Wild and crazy over expensive clothes,
     REMEMBER: You will end up in just a ‘KAFN.’
  3. Recklessly sacrificing everything to construct beautiful homes and palatial mansions,
     REMEMBER: the graveyard ‘PIT’ – one’s real home.
  4. Greedily devouring tasty dishes and all types of extravagant delicacies,
     REMEMBER: one day YOU will be the meal for ants, worms and other insects.
  5. Aspiring for fame, fortune, and bright lights.
     REMEMBER: the awaiting darkness and loneliness in the grave.

Source: ‘DEATH’ by Husainiyah Publications Estcourt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Remember Death Abundantly

baqee2.jpg

Ataa Khurasani (Rahmatullah alaih) says: Once Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) came upon some people who were sitting together and laughing loudly, and said to them, "In your meetings, do include the talk of the destroyer of lustful pleasures.” On being asked what he meant by it, Rasulullah (SallallahuAlaihi Wasallam) replied, 'Death'. According to another Hadith, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) once said, "Keep death much in your remembrance, for it removes sins and causes a person to renounce the world". (lhyaauddeen) (Fazaail Sadaqaat pg. 574)

• Like 1

Hadhrat Uthmaan (Radhiallahu Anhu) and Remembering the Grave

It has been reported about Hadhrat Uthmaan (Radhiallahu Anhu) that when he would stand over a grave, he would weep so bitterly that his beard would get wet with tears.

Someone asked him, “You do not weep so severely when you remember Jannah and Jahannam as you do when you are reminded about the grave.” He replied, “I have heard Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)saying, "The grave is the initial stage of the Aakhirah; if one escapes punishment in it, all the following stages are much easier, but if one does not escape punishment in the grave, all the next stages are severer than it.’  I also heard him saying, “I have never seen a sight more horrifying than that of the grave.” (Fazaail Sadaqaat pg. 568)

lhyaauddeen

• 1 month later...

Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam and the Angel of Death

It is reported that once Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam asked the angel of death, Hadhrat IzraeelAlaihis salaam to show him the form he takes while extracting the souls of the evil and wicked servants. The angel told him that he would not be able to bear the sight, but Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam said that he would manage to bear it. The angel then asked him to turn around and he did so. After a short while the angel said, ‘Now, look towards me.’ and Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam turned around and looked at him. What met his gaze was the most horrible giant-like figure dressed in black, dark-complexioned and long-haired, with each hair standing stiffly on end, giving off a most disgusting smell, with flames of fire leaping up from his mouth and nostrils!

Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam could not bear the sight and fell unconscious. After regaining consciousness, Hadhrat Izraeel Alaihis salaam had resumed his normal form. Hadhrat IbrahimAlaihis salaam then said, “Even if there were no other affliction for the evil and wicked servants, the terrible ordeal of facing Hadhrat Izraeel Alaihis salaam at the time of death in such a horrible form would suffice for their punishment. This is the form in which the Angel of Death appears when he visits the evil and wicked servants. However when he comes to take the souls of the pious and the devout servants of Allah Ta'ala, he appears in the most handsome form.

When Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam asked Hadhrat Izraeel Alaihis salaam to appear before him in the form that he adopts while visiting the pious servants, he saw standing before him a handsome young man elegantly dressed, with the fragrance of the most exotic perfumes wafting from his body. Hadhrat Ibrahim Alaihis salaam said, "Even if there were no other joy for the believer besides the enjoyment obtained upon seeing the handsome face of Hadhrat IzraeelAlaihis salaam at the hour of death, this would suffice for all other enjoyments and pleasures." (Fazaail Sadaqaat-Urdu-pg. 640)

• Like 2

Reflecting over death

grave2-300x200.jpg

Hazrat Shaikh Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned:

The life of this world is temporary and will soon come to an end. While there exists a difference of opinion regarding everything in life, there exists no difference of opinion regarding the certainty of death. Despite us believing in the inevitability and certainty of death, yet we still don’t find time to work and strive for the eternal life. We find the time to earn our livelihood but don’t find any time to engage in zikr. The separation of India and Pakistan (where people were forced to leave India and settle in Pakistan leaving behind all their properties and wealth) made it easy for us to realize that at the time of death nothing will accompany a person when he leaves this world. The Masha’ikh have written in regards to hajj that the entire scene of hajj is one that depicts the spectacle of death. A person removes his normal clothing and replaces it with two simple pieces of cloth. People accompany the person leaving for hajj to the station or to Bombay in order to see him off and thereafter return to their homes. People departing for hajj have to leave all their wealth, properties etc. behind. Hazrat Sheikh (rahimahullah) then mentioned,

poem.jpg

“When the clock sounds, an announcement is actually being made: “O negligent person, every time the needle of the clock goes around, it has decreased a portion of your life.” (Suhbate Ba Awliyaa’ page.152)

• Like 1

The Habit of Umar Ibn Abdul Aziz (Rahmatullahi Alaih)

A Hadith says: "When two third of the night passed, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, “O people, remember Allah! Remember Allah! The quake of Doomsday will soon occur! The time for the blowing of the Trumpet (Soor) is drawing near! And everybody's hour of death, along with its pangs and throes, is coming!”(Mishkaat). It was the custom of Umar Ibn Abdul Aziz (Rahmatullah Alaih) to invite a number of Ulama every night, who would speak about death, the Day of Qiyaamah and the conditions and events of the Aakhirah. Thereupon he would weep so bitterly that one might think he was weeping over a dead body lying before him. (Fazaail Sadaqaat-Urdu-633)

• Like 1

Constantly Remembering Death

Ibrahim Taimi (Rahmatullah alaih) says; “Two things have caused me to turn away from sensual pleasures of the world; death and the fear of reckoning before Allah Ta'ala.”  Hadhrat Ka'b (Radhiallahu Anhu) says: “He who realizes what death signifies will find that, by comparison, all the sufferings of this world are easier to tolerate.”  Ash'ath (Rahmatullah Alaih)says: "Whenever we visited Hasan Basri (Rahmatullah Alaih)and sat with him, we heard him talking to his companions of death and of the conditions and events of the Aakhirah. (Fazaail Sadaqaat-Urdu-633)

Ihyaauddeen

• Like 3

Whose janaazah is this?

Hazrat Shaikh Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned:

We should, at all times, remember that our life is coming to an end. We have also heard our elders say that a person should take stock of his life when going to sleep. He should ponder and reflect over the number of things he will be able to take with him when he passes away and the number of things he will be forced to leave behind. Constantly remember death! Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is reported to have said in the mubaarak Hadith, “Remember the thing which severs all pleasures of life, death.” Once a janaazah was passing by when somebody asked a pious person present, “Whose janaazah is this?” The pious person replied, “It is your janaazah.” When the person expressed surprise at this answer, the pious person said, “If it is not yours, then regard it to be mine.” (Merely being concerned about whose janaazah it is, is insufficient. What matters is whether one is prepared for that moment to be the moment of one’s own janaazah.) (Suhbate Ba Awliyaa’ page.152)

• Like 2

Habib Ajami (Rahmatullahi Alaih) on his Deathbed

It is mentioned regarding Sheikh Habib Ajami (Rahmatullahi Alaih) who is one of the renowned spiritual leaders, that he looked gravely concerned at the time of his death. Someone said to him, “It is strange that a pious person like yourself should feel so afraid at the hour of death. We have never seen you in such a state prior to this.” The Sheikh replied, “The journey (to the Hereafter) is extremely far and I do not have sufficient provisions for the journey. Neither do I have knowledge of the way as I have not traversed it before. I will soon be meeting my Lord and Sustainer, the Master of my soul, who prior to this I have not met. I shall have to see such horrible spectacles as I have never seen before. I shall be laid in the grave under the ground and be there till the day of Qiyaamah, all alone, without any friend or comforter. I shall then be required to appear before Allah Ta’ala  for reckoning and, if I am asked and told, O Habib, present one 'Subhaan-Allah' which you have done solely for Allah Ta’ala untarnished by the evil influence of Shaytaan during the sixty years of life in this world, what answer would I have to present? I fear that I may not be able to produce even one 'Subhaan-Allah' free from the influence of the Dunya.” (Fazaail Sadaqaat-urdu 671)

Ihyaauddeen.co.za

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Preparing for the True Abode

Hazrat Moulana Muhammad Ilyaas (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned:

The period of time which people live in the world is extremely short in comparison to the period of time for which they will remain buried beneath the surface of the earth. Accordingly one should understand that man’s lifespan in this world compared to the Hereafter is extremely short and brief. After your demise, the various stages through which you will pass, such as the stage in the grave until the first sounding of the trumpet, the stage from the first sounding of the trumpet until the second, the thousands of years that will be spent on the plains of resurrection and finally residing in whichever abode Allah Ta’ala chooses for you in the hereafter – all these stages are hundreds of thousands of times longer than the brief period for which you live in the world. How can man remain so negligent and unconcerned of his true abode? He makes such effort for the few days he will spend in the world but fails to work and make adequate preparations for the eternal life of the Hereafter! (Malfoozaat Hazrat Moulana Muhammad Ilyaas (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) pg. 21) - Ihyauddeen.co.za

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...