IslamicTeachings.org

On Tawbah (Repentance)

Acacia

Repentance

The Ulama have stated: “It is necessary to repent from every sin. If the offense involves the Rights of Allah, not a human, then there are three conditions to be met in order that the repentance be accepted by Allah:

1.    To desist from committing it.

2.    To feel sorry for committing it.

3.    To make firm intention not to recommit the sin

Any repentance failing to meet any of these three conditions would not be sincere.

However, if the sin involves a human's right, it requires a fourth condition, i.e., to absolve oneself from such right. If it is a property, it should be returned it to its rightful owner. If it is slandering or backbiting, one should ask the pardon of the offended.”

Allah, the, Exalted says:

§  “And beg Allah to forgive you, O believers, that you may be successful.” (24:31)

§  “Seek the forgiveness of your Rabb, and turn to Him in repentance.” (11:3)

§  “O you who believe! Turn to Allah with sincere repentance!” (66:8)

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam has stated:

“Turn in repentance to Allah and beg pardon of Him. I turn to Him in repentance a hundred times a day!” (Muslim)

Compiled from: Riyaadus-Saaliheen

(Source: Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) newsletter)

• Like 3

:sl:

It was said to Hasan Al-Basri: "Shouldn't one of us feel too shy to ask his Lord to forgive his sin, then do it again, then ask for forgiveness, then do it again?"

He said: "The Shaytaan wishes that you would have this attitude, so do not tire of asking for forgiveness". 

["Jaami al-Ulum wal-Hukam", 1/165].

• Like 4

The Benefits Of Sincere Repentance

Imaam Ibn Qayyim rahmatullahi alaihe mentions certain benefits:

1. Repentance is the most noble and beloved form of obedience in the eyes of Allah Ta'ala. He loves those who repent and it is because of His love for His creation that He tests them with sins so that He may shower His blessings and favours upon them after they repent.

2. Repentance has a status that no other form of worship has. This is why Allah is extremely happy when a servant repents just as a traveller is happy when he finds his lost mount in the desert.

This pleasure (of Allah) has a great impact on the heart of the one repenting. Hence, the repenting person reaches the status of being amongst the beloved through his repentance.

3. Repentance brings about humbleness and a sense of helplessness that is not easily acquired through other forms of worship.

4. Allah’s statement, "Except those who repent, have faith and good deeds, those Allah will charge their sins for good deeds. Certainly Allah is most forgiving and merciful."

(Qur'aan 25:70)

This is a greatest glad tiding for those who repent and combine their repentance with faith and good deeds.

Repentance breeds good deeds, whilst sinning (without repentance) can cause deprivation of obedience altogether. It has been said that committing sins regularly will darken and harden the heart. It may even lead a person to reject Allah completely (Allah forbid) or lead him to commit a bigger sin. There is no recourse for a sinner except to ask Allah for forgiveness and to feel great regret for his actions.

Repentance is to repent from the heart, to train the heart into obedience and to make a firm resolution never to commit the sin again.

The repenting person should remember three facts:

1. The grave consequence of sins.

2. The painful punishment for sins and

3. The helplessness of the servant with regards to these two things.

What Should I Do After I Have Sinned?

Someone may ask, "How do I go about repenting from a sin?" Do I just say, "I repent." and that’s it, or is there anything to be done after that?

Two things should immediately be done. The first is an act of the heart, to sincerely regret the sins of the past. The second is an act of the body, to bring up some good deeds, starting two cycles of prayer of repentance. The following is a hadith in support:

Hazrat Abu Bakr radiyallahu anhu, says, "I heard the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam say, ‘There isn’t a man who, when he commits a sin, rises, makes ablution, and offers two rak’ats of prayers, but Allah forgives his sins.’ Then the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam recited the verse, ‘Those (are the true believers) who, when they commit an evil deed, or wrong their souls, remember Allah, and seek forgiveness for their sins - and who but Allah forgives sins? They do not insist upon the sins they have committed, and they know (that Allah is forgiving)."

(Qur'aan 3:135)

There are other reports that describe more in detail how these two cycles of prayers of repentance must be offered.

For instance:

1. There isn’t a man who makes ablution (and does it well, but sins fall off the limbs of the body with the last drop of water. And doing the ablution well includes saying the Bismillah in the beginning, and some other prayer words after it such as:

"I bear witness that there is no deity save Allah , the one, and I also bear witness that Muhammad is his slave and messenger."

"O’ Allah! make me of the repenting, and make me of the purified."

"O’ Allah! with praises to you I bear witness that there is no deity but you. I seek your forgiveness and turn to you in repentance."

2. Offer two rak’ats of prayer. Performs them in full presence of mind and heart. Commits no mistake within the prayers. Does not speak to himself within them. Recites the prayer-words in them well and in humility. Then seeks Allah’s forgiveness.

The Result

1. His past sins are forgiven.

2. He is assured paradise.

Then, as these things have been achieved he should now increase his good deeds to the extent possible. Don’t you see what Umar radiyallahu anhu did when he had committed the mistake of arguing with the Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam, at Hudaibiyya. He used to offer special acts of worship, (like fasting, almsgiving, etc.), to atone for that sin. The following hadith should also be considered.

"He who commits some evil deeds, and then turns to doing good deeds is like the man who had on him a tight-fitting coat of mail made of steel, so tight, it would almost choke him. Then he did a good deed and it opened up a little more until it became so loose as to fall off to the ground."

So you see how good deeds release a man from the clutches of past sins and liberate him from the tension that they cause. Let me at this point offer you the abridged version of an incident, which is laden with lessons.

Ibn Mas’ood radiyallahu anhu says a man came to the Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam and said, "O Apostle of Allah. I found a woman in a garden and did everything to her except having intercourse: I kissed her and hugged her and so on, but I didn’t go beyond this. So judge me as you wish." The Prophet of Allah sallallahu alaihe wasallam said nothing in reply and the man went away. Upon this Umar radiyallahu anhu remarked, "Allah would have kept it a secret if he had kept it a secret." The Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam in the direction the man had gone and said, "Call him back." When they called him back, he recited to him the following verse, "Establish Prayers at the two ends of the day and early part of the night. Indeed good deeds wipe out evil ones. And this (Qur’aan) is a reminder unto the mindful."

(Qur'aan 11:114)

Upon hearing this, Mu’adh radiyallahu anhu (and according to another report Umar radiyallahu anhu) said, "O’ Apostle of Allah sallallahu alaihe wasallam, is this for him alone or is it (this ruling) common?" he replied: "No, it is common."

More on inter-islam

• Like 2

Repentance and seeking forgiveness

by Shaykh Ahmed Abdul Mujeeb Qasmi Nadvi (translated by Muhammad Owais Jafrey)

Istighfaar [seeking forgiveness] is in fact a form of supplication [du’aa]. It is a humble submission of a mercy plea to Allah (SWT) for forgiveness of sins. Tauba [repentance] is an intense feeling of shame for the wrong done and an earnest promise not to repeat that same mistake. It is to avoid Allah (SWT)’s displeasure and to win His favor. Both repentance and seeking forgiveness are inter-related.

A simple example can perhaps illustrate the inter-relationship between Ishtighfaar and Tauba. A person in a rage of anger or a fit of depression takes poison to commit suicide. After having taken poison he realizes the mistake and in the agony of pain seeing imminent death, he repents his mistake. Wanting to live, he promises that if saved, he wouldn’t commit the same mistake again.

A faithful person fails to be on guard at times and is victimized by temptations, but as soon as he realizes that he has violated Allah (SWT)’s command, and reminds himself of the consequences of Allah’s displeasure, he immediately repents and seeks forgiveness. This is called Istighfaar.

Du’aa [supplication] is an act which displays bondsman-ship and servitude before Allah, the Almighty. According to the tradition of Prophet (SAW), du’aa is the essence of servitude and worship. The deep feeling of remorse and self-reproach intensifies the spirit of repentance and puts the sinner very close to Allah (SWT), a state which is unique. Allah (SWT) not only accepts sincere repentance, but rewards the repentant with His special favors of mercy and kindness.

Man is but a very weak creation full of flaws and shortcomings. He is always surrounded by temptations. Vices disguised as virtues lay a snare and set up a trap for him. He needs to remain sensitive to distinguish between right and wrong, and between vice and virtue. Allah (SWT) has given him the supreme shield to defend himself from temptations and vices and that shield is Tauba and Istighfaar. Any person who lives in the formidable fort of Tauba and Istighfaar will always be safe against the attack of the forces of sins. When in all sincerity and earnestness, a sinner repents, bows down, prostrate and raises his hands in supplication, Allah’s mercy comes to his rescue and he is forgiven and his status is raised. Aayah 110 of Surah An-Nisa says:

“Yet anyone who does evil or wrongs his own soul and then asks Allah for forgiveness will find Him most forgiving and merciful.”

The real and true Tauba washes out the sins how great they may be. Aayah 38 of Surah Anfal says:

“[Ya Rasul Allah], tell the disbelievers that if they desist, their past will be forgiven, but if they persist, they have an example in the fate of those who went before.”

Allah keeps His door of forgiveness open all times.  Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari (RA) reported that Prophet (SAW) said, “Allah, the Exalted, will continue to stretch out His Hand in the night so that the sinners of the day may repent, and continue to stretch His Hand in the daytime so that the sinners of the night may repent, until the sun rises from the west. [Muslim].

Umar Farooque (RA) reported that the Prophet (SAW) said, “Allah accepts a slave’s repentance as long as the latter is not on his death bad (that is, before the soul of the dying person reaches the throat).” [At-Tirmidhi]

Allah (SWT)’s Grace and Mercy is beyond limit. He can forgive any sin subject to His will. He (SWT) commands to make repentance and seek forgiveness instead of giving up hope as mentioned in Aayah 53 of Surah Al-Zumar:

“Say, [Allah says], My servants who have harmed yourselves by your own excess, do not despair of Allah’s Mercy. Allah forgives all sins: He is truly the Most Forgiving, the Most Merciful.”

Remember that it will be self-deception to think that one can be free to commit sins and then repent and seek forgiveness. This is a great sin and Allah (SWT) has condemned such an attitude.

It is also wrong to think the repentance and seeking forgiveness is limited to the sinners only. The truth is that the Prophets and Messengers who were all innocent were more conscious of Tauba and Istighfaar. They thought that did not do enough to thank Allah (SWT) and could not do justice with their status of servitude. Prophet (SAW) used to say Istighfaar three times after prayers. For sinners, Tauba and Istighfaar are to earn forgiveness and for those who are puritans, it is a means to get still closer to Allah (SWT) and have their status further raised.

May Allah (SWT) enable us to avoid sins, and enable us to make sincere repentance and seek His forgiveness! Aamin!

Source

• Like 1
  • Ameen 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tawba tun Nasuha - Pure Repentance

Tawba is the first step for a Spiritual Aspirant – Traveler on the Path of Allah Taala. Thus we felt important to depict what Tawba-tun-Nasuha (Pure Repentance) is: Allah Taala states:

“O The Believers! Repent towards Allah Ta’la with Tawba-tun-Nasuha (Pure Repentance). It is expected that your Lord would eradicate all your sins and place you in Jannah, underneath of which river flows.” Sura Tahreem: 08

In the Verse good news and salvation had been promised for Tawba-tun-Nasuha. According to Hazrat Hasan Basri ®, to repent for past sins and pledge not to repeat those in future is Tawba-tun-Nasuha. Hazrat Qalbi ® states: Tawba-tun-Nasuha is seek forgiveness orally, repent by heart and refrain the limbs from those sins in future. (Maariful Qur’an)

My dear friends! There is a great news regarding Tawba, which many people don’t understand; many don’t even know it.

If any sin is occurred by someone today – and he makes Tawba as mentioned above, Inshallah he will be forgiven. If the same person commits the same sin again in future this sin doesn’t refute the previous Tawba (Because that had been a pure one – bearing no intention of performing sin again)! Therefore, one must again sincerely perform Tawba.

If still it repeats, i.e. if the person once again performs the same sin….he must again, yes: again sincerely do Tawba. Allah Taala, the Most Gracious will grant his repentance. Even in a single day, if a man commits sin several times and keep on repenting sincerely, according Quran and Hadith every Tawba would be valid. Therefore sincerely repenting is a must. Please note one point here there are rulings of compensation regarding Haqullah (Rights of Allah Taala) and Haq-qul-Ibad (Rights of slave); we have to compensate the deeds according Shariah. However, compensation may not be always possible and just doing Tawba is sufficient. However, this point must be clarified from the Mufti or qualified Scholar.

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaiyhiwa Sallam has informed his Beloved Ummah: All men are sinners, better among those sinners are the ones who perform Tawba Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaiyhiwa Sallam has informed through another Hadith: One who seeks forgiveness after committing sin, even if s/he commits the sin seventy times on a day, still the individual would not be treated as defiant against sins.

If you are not performing Tawba, you are becoming steadfast on your sins! On the other hand, performing every Tawba would cleanse your heart every time and make you pure every time Inshallah. Remember the Condition! Every Tawba must bear the intention of not performing the sin again. Only then can it would be considered Pure.

May Allah Ta’la bless us with Tawba tun Nasuha –Ameen.

Islam-inLife

• Like 1

The Man Who Committed 99 Murders

There’s a story related in Sahih Bukhari emphasising the vastness and generousness of Allah’s mercy. The Prophet (saws) picked on certain events throughout history to show their importance. This emphasised a certain message that he was trying to convey to us. Since the events of the past are so numerous, the ones chosen to be related and preserved in his words till the end of time must be of great importance. Whenever we hear stories of the past we should always remember that Allah had chosen those stories to be related as a great occurrence.

There was a man who had heartlessly murdered 99 people, when all of a sudden he felt remorse over what he had done. He asked the people in his town if they knew anyone who was pious enough to get advice from. They recommended to him an ascetic who lived in the mountains. So the man went to this learned person and told him about the past and his wishing to repent for his actions. He asked the man, “Will Allah forgive me?”. The learned man was so shocked by everything he had heard that he said “No, you will not be pardoned.” So the murderer killed him as well!

He felt remorse yet again and asked the people if they knew anyone else. They recommended to him another scholar who they were acquainted with. Again, the murderer asked the same question, “Will Allah forgive me?” Being a truly wise man and knowing Allah’s all-encompassing mercy and His ability to forgive anything, the scholar replied “Of course you will be pardoned, repent at once!”

The wise man also gave him some advice, telling him of a city where there were devoted worshippers of Allah. He recommended that he move there to be around them and not to come back to his town, which was the place of evil. So the man started towards that town and on the way he died.

The angels of mercy descended upon him and so did the angels of punishment. They started arguing over him. The angels of mercy said “This man had repented and was seeking Allah, so he is ours.” The angels of punishment said “This man had never done anything good in his life and did not even complete his repentance.” Allah sent another angel to them in the form of a man, and both parties took him as their arbitrator.

This angel said “Measure the distance of the earth between the two cities, and let him be assigned to the one he is closest to.” When the angels measured the distance, it just so happened that he was nearer the town of his destination just by a hand-span, and so the angels of mercy took away his soul to paradise. Another version narrates that Allah had ordered the earth to be stretched such that he became closer to the city of piety and further from the city of evil.

Lessons:

• Allah’s mercy is all-encompassing and He can forgive any sin, even the most heinous such as murdering 100 people, at least 1 of whom was a pious person
  • After repenting from a sin, we should always immediately take steps to avoid returning to it again
  • We should not fall into despair when we sin, because if we repent and turn back to Allah, He will help us be among those who are forgiven
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
Remembering Allah Ta’ala in Comfort and Luxury

Allah Ta‘ala’s mercy is unrestricted and limitless. It is like an ocean without shores. His mercy is for everyone.

People of the past would give up their comforts and riches to attain piety. However, for weak people like us who cannot make such a drastic change, then there is still a chance for us as well. The hadeeth speaks of those with whom Allah Ta‘ala is pleased. They are the ones who lie on their soft cushions and beds but they still remember Allah Ta‘ala.

When a person expresses remorse and regret over his wrongs, Allah Ta‘ala becomes extremely pleased with such a person.

Source: Al-Haadi

• 4 months later...

Turning Back to Allāh

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ. وَأَنِيبُوا إِلَىٰ رَبِّكُمْ وَأَسْلِمُوا لَهُ مِن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَكُمُ الْعَذَابُ ثُمَّ لَا تُنصَرُونَ

Say: “(Thus speaks Allāh:) ‘O my servants who have transgressed against your own selves! Despair not of Allāh’s mercy: behold, Allāh forgives all sins. Surely, He is the One who is the Most-Forgiving, the Very-Merciful. Hence, turn towards your Sustainer (alone) and surrender yourselves unto Him before the suffering (of death and resurrection) comes upon you, for then you will not be helped.”(Az- Zumar, 39:53-54)

This is such a reassuring message for those who have sinned. By sinning we transgress against our own selves. But the All Merciful Allāh will still turn to us with mercy if we turn to Him in repentance. He is Most-Forgiving; there is no sin He will not forgive if we sincerely seek His forgiveness and take corrective action. The pencil which has been given to us to draw the course of our life’s journey does come with a huge eraser. It lasts as long as the pencil itself. There are no signs on the highway of life that prohibit a U-turn. No matter how messed up our lives may have been, we can always correct course. The door to repentance  is always open—until the very end of our life. But if we wait too long and the end comes in sight, then repentance will not help.

Qur'an Reflections

Al-Balagh

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Erasing the Bad with Good

Allah Ta’ala states in the noble Quran: 
“Indeed good actions eradicate bad actions. This is a reminder for people who pay heed.” (Surah 11, Verse 114)

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam has mentioned:
”Be conscious of Allah wherever you are. Follow the bad deed with a good one to erase it, and engage others with beautiful character.” (Tirmizi)

“Follow the bad deed with a good one to erase it

This part of the Hadith is proactive, an aspect that many Muslims fail at. Our understanding of sin should be mobilizing, not debilitating. Too often, we respond to a sin by putting ourselves in a figurative corner and abusing ourselves psychologically until we get over that sin. This is not what Allah wants from us.

Yes, we should feel guilty and have a level of regret, but it should not stop us from moving forward in good deeds. People use their sins as an excuse to stay behind. Do not allow sin to stop yourself from all the other good that you could be involved in.

The response to a sin should not be to wait, but rather to race to do something good so the sin can be erased. Our attitude should be proactive and positive. We should always have hope that Allah can, and will, have mercy on us as long as we keep struggling and pushing forward.

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The Greatest Return

turn.jpg

There are many great “returns” that people experience in their lives. The returning of a missing child, finding a very valuable lost item or a close family member returning home after spending many years overseas are some instances of a great return. These are moments of immense joy and happiness. The greatest “Return,” however, is when a sinful servant who had abandoned Allah Ta’ala and fallen into sin makes sincere taubah (which literally means “to return”) and returns to his Creator. There can never be a happier moment for such a person.

Retuning to Allah Ta’ala in sincere repentance brings down the showers of the Mercy of Allah Ta’ala. Due to his repentance, the one who was previously known in the court of Allah Ta’ala as a faasiq (sinner) earns the title of Habibullah (the beloved of Allah). His crying and sobbing while begging for forgiveness is more beloved to Allah Ta’ala than the recitation of tasbeeh of those who are busy glorifying Allah Ta’ala. Can there be a greater return?

YARDSTICK OF PIETY

The object of the auspicious month of Ramadhaan is to truly return to Allah Ta’ala by repenting from all sin and adopting piety. The Qur’an-al-Kareem declares: “O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed upon you, just as it was pescribed upon those before you, so that you may acquire taqwa (piety)” (S2:183). Taqwa, in simple terms, refers to giving up every sin. The one who forsakes all sin is the greatest worshipper and the most pious person, even though he may not be performing nafil (optional) Haj and Umrah every year, giving thousands in charity or standing the entire night in tahajjud salaah. Indeed, these great acts of worship should be performed as much as possible. However, the yardstick of piety is taqwa – abstaining from sin. Taqwa cannot be acquired without first making sincere taubah. It thus follows that the one who does not make taubah has to a degree def eated the purpose of Ramadhaan, even though he may have performed many other good deeds in the blessed month.

MENTAL NOTE

It is thus evident that in order to acquire the object of Ramadhaan, one must start with sincere taubah (repentance). One should sit in solitude and list down, or make a mental note, of all the laws of one’s beloved Master and Creator which are being disobeyed. Think: Have I performed all my Salaah, Zakaah, Qurbaani, etc? Have I taken anyone’s property wrongfully? Did I lie, backbite, slander? Do I have pride, harbour jealousy and do actions for name and fame? What about the laws of hijaab? Am I obeying my most beloved Rabb in this regard or do I disobey Him? Am I involved in any illicit relationship? Have I sinned with my eyes, ears, tongue and heart? Have I fulfilled the rights of my neighbours and relatives? Do I take intoxicants? Am I shaving or trimming my beard to less than a fist length? … After having carefully taken note of all the sins in one’s life, sincerely repent from ea ch one. Beg Allah Ta’ala’s forgiveness. For one’s taubah to be accepted, the following pre-conditions apply:

* Give up the sin immediately.

* Regret having sinned. Feel the pain in your heart, just as you would be pained if you lost a million rands.

* Resolve never to commit the sin again.

* The unfulfilled rights of Allah Ta’ala (salaah, zakaah, etc.) and the rights of people (debts, etc.) must be discharged.

NO TAUBAH

Often many people stop committing various sins in Ramadhaan. Gambling comes to a hault. The T.V. is switched off. Intoxicants are given up. Lying, vulgar languages, zina and a host of other evils are forsaken. Similarly, many actions that were previously neglected are performed in Ramadhaan. Salaah is performed regularly. The Musjid is full even for Fajr Salaah. Many other good deeds are performed. It is indeed a great gift from Allah Ta’ala that one respects the month of Ramadhaan by refraining from sins and engaging in good deeds. However, the tragedy is that as soon as Ramadhaan leaves, it is as if Deen has left. The day after Eid the Musjid is crying out for those who were regularly there for the entire month. The gambling dens are once again frequented by those who were frequenting the Musjid. Numerous other evils which were given up during Ramadhaan are once again perpetrated. One of t he fundamental reasons for this speedy slide into a life of disobedience is that, while we respected Ramadhaan, we did not sincerely return to Allah Ta’ala and repent from our sins. Thus this is our need of the moment To undertake the Greatest Return.

Having repented sincerely, one should also closely link oneself to a pious personality who one feels comfortable with. Take his guidance in all aspects and one will be saved from the many hazards, Insha Allah.

ENCOURAGE

Furthermore, actively encourage others to undertake the Greatest Return. While your encouragement will insha Allah benefit them, it will also greatly help you to remain steadfast.

May Allah Ta’ala grant s the ability to repent incerely, forgive us and nable us to refrain from very sin in future. Aameen.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
How Allah Ta’ala exposes A Sinner

out of His Mercy

islaahiadvices.com

Any action you do, do it for Allah. Don’t worry what this person and that person said. All those doubts, kick it out of our mind. You want to do something? Do it for Allah. How much you can do, do. Whatever you can’t do, leave it out. Don’t get involved in politics. Don’t hurt people. Don’t read too much into things. Two people brought a dispute to Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam who responded that I have to pass judgment on that which is apparent. After this, if someone does something wrong then Allah is watching and He will deal with it.

We too, have to adapt to this. Especially spouses, we have men who, when cheating, may have two phones. He’s a couch potato yet the second the wife walks towards his ringing phone, he suddenly becomes an athlete. Why? He’s hiding something. The cheated upon spouse now becomes a policewoman. Now she’s monitoring, constantly worried. You can’t blame her, but over time, this does get frustrating. The spouse guilty of disloyalty now plays the guilt card, he says, don’t you trust me?

So for the innocent spouse it’s a worrying, constrained life. The best way to deal with it is to leave it to Allah. Because if the spouse is being disloyal, who is he being disloyal to? He is being disloyal to Allah first. We can duck and dive from humans, but we can’t duck and dive from Allah! So if someone is doing wrong, Allah will expose them. Just like Allah exposed him the first time, if he continues to be disloyal, Allah will expose him again.

Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam mentioned in a hadith that enter from the front door when you come home. Meaning, don’t go through the back door, peaking, to see what she’s up to. This hadith shows us that we mustn’t search for evidence, Allah will expose a cheater if he continues to cheat.

Generally with any sin, first Allah will give us a chance to reform. When we don’t appreciate the chance, after a few times Allah makes it such that a man almost gets caught, but he makes a lucky escape and he gets away. Now if he still doesn’t make taubah, then he gets caught. 9 out of 10 times someone close who has his well-being at heart will catch him out. This close one will give him advice and nasihah, discouraging him from the sin. Now if he still continues, then eventually Allah exposes him in public. Allah embarrasses the person, but that too is mercy from Allah. Now it’s out in the open, make taubah and Istighfar before you die! With getting away….how long are you going to get away for? There’s no getting away after death!

So this is generally Allah’s system. He gives us repeated chances to make taubah. With gambling, womanizing and cheating generally, this is what happens when a person gets exposed. Of course there are some exceptions as always. And, it’s not always the man who cheats. When a man cheats, who does he cheat with? Obviously a woman.

May Allah Ta’ala save us, Aameen.

(The above is an extract from a Bayan delivered by Hazrat Maulana Dawood Seedat حفظه الله click here.)

• 5 months later...

Difficulty in giving up Sin

Q. As salaamu alaikum Mufti. Please help me. I have been committing a major sin for the past seven years and I don't know how to stop. Every time I make taubah and promise never to do it again but I do. I hate myself for committing this sin. I read my 5 times Salaah, I read Quran every day, I make zikr every day, I go for 40 days every year but this one thing I cannot stop. I really want to. How can I stop? Will Allah forgive me? What can I do to make Allah happy with me and not angry with me?

Please help me
Jazakallah 

(Question published as received)

A. It is in the nature of humankind to constantly slip and fall, to constantly err and sin. But it is the quality of the true Muslim that whenever he sins he makes Tawbah and tries to reform himself.

Consider a person whose occupation is working within a coal mine digging out coal through sweat and hard labour. At the end of every day, his body is blackened with soot from head to toe. Does he tell himself at the end of the day that I will be blackened again tomorrow so I don’t have to wash off today’s dirt and grime? No, he does not. Every evening, he bathes and cleans himself.

It is the same for us when we sin. The Believer cannot tolerate allowing the soot of sin to remain on his heart. So he washes it off with Tawbah.

Do not lose heart that you are unable to give up the sin. Rather, thank Allah that there are many who sin without remorse but Allah has blessed you with  a remorseful heart that turns to Tawbah.

The addiction to a sin is like addiction to intoxicants. The main ingredient in kicking any addiction is WILLPOWER. It is difficult and it is a struggle, but it is a struggle that can be overcome. The key is to gradually wean yourself off the sin. If it is done every few hours then strive to extend the hours between committing the sin. If it is done every few days then strive to extend the days between  committing the sin. The hours will become days and days will become weeks and the weeks will become months until you are able to kick the sin out completely. Each step of progress is a milestone and a victory that you should celebrate and rejoice in. This will give you extra motivation to quit the sin. Even if it takes time to do, it’s fine. Even if you falter and succumb to the sin again and again, do not give up. Do not give in to depression and weakness. That is what Shaytaan wants us to do. Pick yourself up, dust off the dirt with Tawbah and with renewed vigour continue your struggle. The main thing is that we must move forward and not backward.

Allah’s door of forgiveness is always upon to us and Allah loves His servants who turn to Him in repentance. Sayyiduna Anas Radhiyallahu Anhu said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah () saying, “Allah, the Exalted, has said:‘O son of Adam! I shall go on forgiving you so long as you pray to Me and aspire for My forgiveness whatever may be your sins. O son of Adam! I do not care even if your sins should pile up to the sky and should you beg pardon of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam! If you come to Me with sins as great as the earth and meet Me, not associating anything with Me in worship, I will certainly meet you with forgiveness as great as it.’” (At-Tirmidhi)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Moosa Salie
Confirmation:
Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.)
Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Excellent piece of advice by Mufti Ebrahim Desai DB

Question

Assalamualaikum Mufti Saheb, I am really sick spiritually it feels like my heart is sealed. I don’t get inspired by any deeni talks or forms of ibaadat. I try to stay away from sinning. I don’t have any feelings. A long time ago I did do a really bad deed. I need Allah’s mercy to ask Allah for forgiveness from my heart but my heart feels sealed up. Please make dua for me and please advise me on what to do mufti Sahib.

Answer

A mother prohibits her child from going to play outside. The child slips away in the yard and begin enjoying himself playing in the sand and mud. After a while he comes back to his mother with his clothes and body covered up in mud. What will be the mother’s response? Will she leave like that saying I prohibited you from going outside but you did not listen? Or will she pick up the child, bath the child, put cream and powder for the child and dress him in clean clothes and then hug and kiss him?

Allāh Ta`ālā prohibited us from soiling ourselves in the filth of sin. Due to our negligence we did not take precaution. If we return to Allāh will He ever reject us from His infinite door of mercy and forgiveness? Allāh is waiting for His sinful servants like us to return to Him. Every night Allāh spreads His hand out so that the sinner of the day may repent and every day Allāh spreads His hands out so that the sinner of the night might turn to Him and repent.

_{قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَى أَنْفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ (53)}

[الزمر: 53]

Say (on My behalf), ―O servants of Mine who have acted recklessly against their own selves, do not despair of Allah‘s mercy. Surely, Allah will forgive all sins. Surely, He is the One who is the Most-Forgiving, the Very-Merciful. [39:53]

When a child is learning to walk or ride a bicycle many times he falls down. However, he does not remain on the floor. He immediately stands up and continues. If we commit a sin a thousand times, we should stand up and repent a thousand and one times. Be sure that Allāh will most definitely forgive you. Be confident in the Most wonderful, Merciful, Loving, Kind and Compassionate creator you have. He loves you and waiting for you to come back to Him.

*Dear brother, you might have committed something in the past which you were not supposed to commit, but remember that Allāh is waiting for you. Never be despondent of His mercy. Turn to Him, repent for the past and make a resolution to do your best for the future. Indeed you should be regretful and cry for the past but never let yourself be bogged down on the past.*

Neither concern yourself too much of the future. Focus on the present, for this will be the past of tomorrow and pave the way for the future. Lamenting too much on the past will prevent you from progressing.

Dear brother, allow me to suggest you to continue doing whatever good you are doing even though who do not feel any enjoyment or you feel as your heart is blocked. The object is the obedience of Allāh and not any feelings.

• Be punctual on your five daily ṣalāh in the masjid with congregation.
  • Set a time daily to recite the noble Qurān. Even if it just a few minutes. However, be sure to be punctual on your recitation.
  • Keep good company.
  • Try to attend the daily ta’līm and other activities taking place in the masjid.
  • Allocate a time for du`ā. Try to join the tablīghi jamā`ah and join the gathering of some friend of Allah.

One candle is lit by joining it to another candle which is already lit. Ignite your heart by joining it to a heart which is already ignited with the love and recognition of Allāḥ.

And Allah knows best. 

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

• 1 month later...

Do Not Undermine Sins

Every sin is serious and detrimental, and is a means of distancing from Allah. After showering us with so many favours and bounties, it does not behove us to break any commandment of Allah. Bilal bin Sa’d (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

لا تنظر إلى صغر الخطيئة ولكن انظر من عصيت  (شعب الإيمان – (1/ 269)

“Don’t look at the insignificance of the sin, but look at the greatness of the one who you are disobeying.” (Shu’ab al-Iman, 1/269)

Furthermore, a seemingly ‘small’ sin can be magnified due to other reasons. For example, treating a sin as trivial or inconsequential is enough to intensify that sin to such an extent that it can become more destructive than even relatively greater sins.

It is precisely for this reason that Sahabah were extremely cautious not to disobey Allah. Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

إنكم لتعملون أعمالا هي أدق في أعينكم من الشعر إن كنا لنعدها على عهد النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم من الموبقات قال أبو عبد الله يعني بذلك المهلكات (أخرجه البخاري في صحيحه –  (8/ 103)

“You perpetrate certain sins and regard those sins to be more insignificant than a straw. But, at the time of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) we used to count those sins among those things that can destroy a man.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 8 / 103)

Similarly, ‘Abdullah bin Mas’ud (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

عبد الله بن مسعود حديثين أحدهما عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم والآخر عن نفسه قال إن المؤمن يرى ذنوبه كأنه قاعد تحت جبل يخاف أن يقع عليه وإن الفاجر يرى ذنوبه كذباب مر على أنفه فقال به هكذا قال أبو شهاب بيده فوق أنفه (أخرجه البخاري في صحيحه – (8/ 67)

“A believer treats a sin as if it is a mountain over his head that may fall on him any moment. Whereas a regular violator looks at them as a fly that perked on his nose and he waived it away with his hand.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 8 / 67)

By undermining any sin, a person will tend to commit that sin more frequently. Thus, the prophet (sallahu alayhi wa sallam) said,

عن عبد الله بن مسعود أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال إياكم ومحقرات الذنوب فإنهن يجتمعن على الرجل حتى يهلكنه (أخرجه أحمد في مسنده – (6/ 367)

“Beware of undermining sins. Verily, they gather upon a man until they destroy him.” (Musnad Ahmad, 6/367)

In short, every sin is damaging and a rebellion in its own right, and the conscientious Muslim must strive to avoid it at all cost. The devil makes us trivialize sins so that we do not repent to Allah.

• 1 year later...

Keep Repenting

Shaykh Ahmed Zarruq (Allah have mercy on him) said,

‘Although the traveler (salik) must be more cautious after returning to sin he must not give up and despair. After every return, even a thousand time, he must renew his intention to repent.

If the Devil argues: “What is use of a repentance following a repetition of the sin?”, he must be answered, “Just as we made the sin’s repetition a habit, we make the repetition of repentance a habit too. ‘

Ahmad Zarruq, p282

Source: ashrafiya.com

• 1 month later...

Components of a perfect repentance

Hakim al Umma Mawlana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (Allah have mercy on him) said instructing a seeker,

There are five components of perfect repentance (توبہ کاملہ) ,

1. Acknowledgement of the wrongdoing

2. Feeling remorse for this

3. Asking forgiveness

4. Reaffirming determination not to do it again

5. Planning for rectification(اصلاح) [of the blameworthy morals that led to indulgence in it].

(Husn al Aziz, volume 1, part 2, p 152)