IslamicTeachings.org

Concentration in Salaah (Prayers)

ummtaalib

Question

What is “Khushoo” and “Khuzoo” in Salaat?

Answer

Khushoo and Khuzoo are both Arabic words meaning concentration and humility respectively.

The above two qualities are the essence and spirit of Salaat. A person performing Salaat should concentrate and show dedication in every posture of Salaat and use express humility in front of Allah.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

• Like 2

Khushoo' is in the Heart

The Gnostics have agreed that the seat of Khushoo' is the heart and that its fruits sprout on the limbs and they display it. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم saw a man playing with his beard while praying and remarked, "If the heart of this person was humble, so too would his limbs be."

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "Taqwaa is here," pointing to his breast, and he said this three times.

One of the Gnostics said, "Fine conduct on the outer is a clear indication of the inward." One of them saw a person showing Khushoo' on his shoulders and body and said, "O such-and-such, Khushoo' he here," pointing to his breast, "not here," pointing to his shoulder.

If the Heart is Corrupt...

"The site of khushoo’ is the heart, and its effects are manifested in the physical body. The various faculties follow the heart: if the heart is corrupted by negligence or insinuating whispers from Shaytaan, the worship of the body’s faculties will also be corrupt."

• Like 1

Bringing Concentration in Salaah

by Hazrat Maulana Yunus Patel Saheb (rahmatullah alayh)

A common complaint of many who seek reformation, is their lack of concentration in Salaah, and finding themselves wanting in the spirit of Salaah. They write or ask for some prescription to bring in that spirit and that love of Allah Ta’ala through Salaah.

The following guidelines will, Insha-Allah, assist in improving the quality of one’s Salaah :

• Men should try and reach the Musjid before the Azaan, so that they may with etiquette and ease, read the Sunnat Salaah – and this should take them about 5 minutes.

• In the remaining few minutes before the Fardh, make Istighfaar, Taubah, or Zikrullah, or think of the Aakhirah (the Hereafter) and accountability and presentation of one’s deeds in the Court of Allah Ta’ala. Reflect over one’s life : What if my death has to come now ? …Try and cut off from the business and worldly activities as much as possible through this little meditation and Zikr.

Now comes the Fardh Salaah : Insha-Allah, by this time, much of one’s heart will be in that Salaah. Insha-Allah, with a little effort and perseverance, there will be full attention and concentration.

• Ladies should try and read Salaah in its early time, thus giving themselves the opportunity of making preparation for Salaah, without any haste. They too should make a little zikr before commencing with Salaah, to get into the right frame of mind.

Moreover, if we give priority status to fulfilling the Rights of Allah Ta’ala, then He will assist us in fulfilling our tasks. He will grant Barakah in time so that our undertakings are completed, Insha-Allah.

• Condition the mind; address yourself – I am standing before the King of Kings. SubhanAllah. …I have been chosen, from millions, to converse with ‘Rabbul ‘Aalameen’ and I am being afforded the greatest honour and privilege (above millions of others), to make sujood to Allah Ta’ala… to be nearest to Allah Ta’ala. [ …If we could truly fathom the greatness of the gift, this ultimate honour, this good fortune – we would never want to leave the position of sujood.]

• And whilst reading the Qur`aan Sharif in Salaah (and even outside Salaah) then think : This is the Kalaam (speech) of my Allah – of my Beloved. By contemplating the meaning of the verses that you are reading, think : I am listening to the speech of Allah Ta’ala.

And since you are reading His Speech, He is also listening to you … Therefore learn the meaning of the Surahs we normally recite in Salaah. It will not take long to do so, if a little is learnt every day.

• And think : In this Salaah, in this Tilawat, in this Zikr, in this Hamd – I have the special attention of Allah Ta’ala. I have exclusive attention because this is my ‘Me`raj’; this is my conversation and communication with the Master of the Worlds. ….What a compounded bounty – SubhanAllah : So many gifts in the gift packaged as Salaah. How can any sane thinking Muslim ever refuse such a gift

In contemplating this, we will experience the beauty and sweetness and pleasure of Salaah … we will understand the Hadith in which Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) says that the coolness of his eyes is in Salaah. May Allah Ta’ala grant us the reality.

• Like 1

The Status Of Salah

By Imam Ghazali rahimahullah

It should be remembered that in Salãh, one communicates with one's Lord, therefore, one should consider how one offers his/her Salãh. Allah ta'ãlã has commanded us to establish the Salãh. Establishment means to carry out Salãh and all its constituents (including it's pre-requisite wudhoo) very carefully. Although the command will apply to the Salãh in general, however, one should be extremely particular about the following points:

• To accomplish the wudhoo by fulfilling all the acts of sunnah and mustahab (preferable). 
  • To recite the specific du'ãs mentioned in the Hadeeth when washing each part of the body. 
  • Also, to ensure that the clothes and the water of wudhoo are pãk (free of any impurity). But do not go out of your way regarding this, letting minor doubts bother you, as these are usually created by Shaytãn, who uses tricks like these to waste the precious time of the obedient Servants of Allah ta'ãlã.

AN EXTRAORDINARY WISDOM BEHIND WUDHOO AND THE PURITY OF CLOTHES

The clothes of a musalli (person performing Salãh) can be likened to the outer peel of a fruit and the body the inner layer. The heart above all is like the kernel within, and needless to say, that the object of the fruit is the kernel. Now the arrangement of all these is such that the condition of one will affect the other. Hence, the peel has to be protected in order to preserve the kernel.

Similar is the case with Salãh. The soul and the heart are sure to be influenced due to the outward condition of the body and clothes. Accordingly, one will experience a unique feeling of purity and cleanliness in the heart after having performed wudhoo that was not present before it.

Evidently, this is the effect of wudhoo. In conclusion, what seems to be a mere washing of arms and face isn't only a means of physical cleanliness, but a spiritual one as well. In fact, the act of wudhoo has been designed chiefly to do away with the impurities of the heart and thereby, building within, the capability to face and communicate with the Lord.

THE BENEFITS OF SALÃH

All the constituents of Salãh should be carried out in the correct manner, regardless of whether they are fardh, wãjib, sunnah or mustahab. One should remember that as the purity of body and clothes affect the heart, the manner in which the Salãh is performed, in general, will also have an effect.

A musalli, inspite of his ignorance of the secrets and spiritual effects of Salãh, will nevertheless benefit from it.

A musalli, in this context, can be likened to a sick person who, despite not knowing the ingredients and the healing properties of a medicine is cured by it.

SALÃH ALSO HAS A SPIRIT AND A BODY

In the transcendental world, like the tangible phenomena, the abstract too have been accorded bodies and spirits by Allah. Salãh is no exception. Each of its constituents will go to signify something. Sincerity and concentration form its spirit and the various postures, its body, with the rukoo' and sajdah being the arms and legs and the recitations of different postures will stand for the essential organs, such as the eyes and the ears.

Further, to comprehend the meaning of these recitations will give the organs the senses they require, like the sense of hearing and the power of vision etc. Moreover, to offer the Salãh with calmness, humility and fear will constitute its beauty and good complexion. In short, the degree of the beauty and perfection of Salãh will be judged by the manner in which it is performed.

In addition to above, there is also the Nearness of Allah that is an objective of Salãh.

To make this better understood, it can be said that Salãh in the Court of Allah is like a precious gift that is being presented to a king. In this context, it would be more appropriate if we used the example of a slave maid as the gift.

If, suppose, the Salãh lacked rukoo' and sajdah, it will be like presenting a lame and crippled slave maid. Similarly a Salãh performed without any recitation and zikr is like the mutilated body of a slave maid. If the recitation is present, but the musalli can hardly comprehend its meaning or is unmindful towards it, it is as if the slave maid lacks the basic senses of seeing and hearing etc. If, say, the Salãh is devoid of sincerity and concentration, it is like presenting the king with the dead body of a slave maid. The gravity of this crime of insulting the king, is not too difficult to imagine and it will be punishable only by death. What the outcome of a person gifting such a slave maid will be, is quite obvious. 

Perhaps, one may object by saying that when all the compulsory acts of Salãh are discharged, the 'ulamã render the Salãh valid, regardless of whether the musalli has understood the meaning of any recitation or not. The purpose, therefore, is achieved. This ultimately explains that to comprehend the meanings of the recitations, due to not having any effect on the validity of the Salãh, is not at all necessary.

The point to understand here is that the 'ulamã are like physicians and doctors. No matter how frail and disabled a person is, as long as he is breathing and still alive, the doctors will not pronounce him dead.

Similarly, if the major constituents of Salãh, like rukoo', sajdah and recitation are present, the 'ulamã will deem the Salãh to be valid. Their rendering it valid is undoubtedly correct, but the point to consider here is that the Salãh stands as a precious gift presented in the Royal Court and, as mentioned, a physically and mentally impaired slave maid will never do as a precious gift. In fact, this would be classed as an outright insult of the king, deserving his anger and severe punishment. Likewise, the presentation of a deficient Salãh will inevitably result in the Salãh being rejected and thrown back at the musalli's face. 

It should be understood that the above example has been cited only for the sake of understanding the point, otherwise there is no comparison between the Court of Allah and that of a king.

In short, since the object of Salãh is to dignify and honour Allah ta'ãlã, the degree of this honour and dignity will be assessed in proportion to the perfectness of Salãh. Any deficiency in Salãh will, therefore, amount to dishonouring the Divine Being.

THE SOUL AND LIMBS OF SALÃH

One should be extremely particular about the soul of Salãh, i.e. sincerity and concentration.

The words uttered by the tongue should penetrate the heart. Upon the utterance of the words "Allahu Akbar" (Allah is the Greatest), for instance, the heart should reflect upon the Greatness of Allah and imagine every other entity to be downright inferior in comparison.

When saying the words "Alhamdulillah" (All praises are due to Allah), the heart should fill with gratitude and joyfully sing praises of the Almighty. Similarly, upon reciting the verse "Iyyãka na'budu wa-iyyãka nasta'een" (You Alone we worship, and from You Alone we seek help) the feelings of humility, weakness and inability should prevail and the Omnipotence of Allah should be predominant. The various movements and postures of Salãh should also send an impact on the heart. In the case of rukoo', for example, the heart, in harmony with the body, should also bow with humility. To sum up, it can be said that the outward and inward conditions of the body should be in total consistence, as regards the recitations and other constituents of Salãh.

Another point to remember here is that the Salãh which is recorded in the Book of Deeds as creditable is only one performed with due concentration, sincerity and attention. A Salãh devoid of these factors will be unworthy of acceptance.

THE METHOD OF ACQUIRING CONCENTRATION

In the initial stages, it is not uncommon for anybody to suffer from digression of thoughts and lack of concentration, but one will have to be determined and show diligence, initially, in regulating one's thoughts and regaining concentration. Gradually, however, such diligence will not be required as one will begin to get accustomed and digression will soon diminish.

In the meantime, one should never become frustrated due to setbacks, but continue to practice as only practice will make it perfect. Concentration should increase in every subsequent Salãh.

If ever, one notices any decrease, it should be compensated, as a penalty, by offering optional (nafl) rak'ats in proportion to the ones performed without concentration. Say, for instance, out of four rak'ats of compulsory Salãh, only two or the amount of two were performed with due concentration, nafl rak'ats should be offered for as long as one acquires enough concentration to make up for the two compulsory ones.

Similarly, if one has to even perform ten nafl rak'ats in order to gather sufficient concentration for a few fardh (compulsory) rak'ats, one should not desist from doing so.

It may be hoped, then, that Allah, through His Grace, will accept the latter rak'ats as a recompense for the deficiency in the former ones.

Source: Article compiled and printed by http://idauk.org/

• Like 1

Increase your Khushoo’ by knowing that Allah responds to prayers in Suratul Faatihah

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah, the Blessed and Exalted has said:

‘I have divided the prayer between Myself and My slave, into two halves, and My slave shall have what he has asked for.”

When the slave says ‘Praise be to Allaah, Lord of the Worlds,’ Allaah says, ‘My slave has praised Me.’

When the slave says, ‘The Most Merciful, the Bestower of Mercy,’ Allaah says, ‘My slave has extolled me.’

When the slave says, ‘Master of the Day of Judgement,’ Allaah says, ‘My slave has glorified me.’

When the slave says, ‘It is You alone we worship and it is You alone we ask for help,’ Allaah says, ‘This is between Me and My slave, and My slave shall have what he asked for.’

When the slave says, ‘Guide us to the Straight Path, the path of those whom You have favoured, not the path of those who receive Your anger, nor of those who go astray,’ Allaah says, ‘All these are for My slave, and My slave shall have what he asked for.’”

(Saheeh Muslim, Kitaab al-Salaah)

• Like 1

To improve the Khushoo (concentration) in Salaah, the following should be done as a start:

At the beginning of the Salaah, we should make a conscious intention of fulfilling the Command of Allah Ta’ala, seeking His Pleasure.

Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Hamid Ishaq Saheb (daamat barakaatuhum)

• Like 1

I Cannot Focus

Question

i am having trouble in my solah, everytime i pray ,i can not focus in prayer probably, so many bad things distract my mind, even i can not control , i feel like something controling my brain, everytimes took more than one hour for me to complete one solah, i feel very difficult help me plss, i am scared i will go to hell if my solah like this

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

When a person undertakes an important task, the success of the task depends on the mental condition. If one has conditioned his mind to reach the stream, in all probability he will eventually reach the stream. The purpose of Salah is to attain the closeness of Allah. Condition the mind before Salaah to attain the closeness of Allah through Salaah. Be committed to that goal and be determined. With that mindset, prepare for Salaah. Perform Wudhu with the mindset that’ I will be presenting myself before my Allah’. Think about how all the sins are washed away through Wudhu in preparation for the great meeting with Allah in Salaah. Allah washed your sins in appreciation of a servant wanting to meet Allah through Salaah. Imagine what lies in actually meeting Allah Ta’ala.Note your spiritual journey has already begun.

Before commencing Salaah, condition your mind that you are seeing Allah. At least have conviction that Allah is seeing you. Concentrate on the majesty of Allah and say Allahu Akbar (Takbeer Tahrima) from the deep recess of your heart knowing well that indeed Allah is the greatest. Think how fortunate I am to be in divine communication with Allah. Make the best of it. Think that this may be my last chance. I may not be alive for the next Salaah. Give it all to Allah with heart and soul and mind. In your thana’a concentrate on the purity of Allah and His majesty. Concentrate on at least the words of Surah Faatiha and the Surah you recite. Think ‘this is the speech of my Allah’. How fortunate am I to be given the opportunity to recite the Quran with my tongue. When going into Ruku, tell yourself I bend in humility to my Allah. It’s not just bending. I express my respect to my Allah and I say Allah the great is pure (Subhana rabbi ‘al azeem) with all my heart. Praise Allah and enjoy doing so.

When going into Sajdah, tell yourself I place every limb from forehead till toes before my creator. I submit to Him and again proclaim (Subhan Rabii al a’la) pure is my Allah, the highest. Do this in every Rakat. When sitting in Tashahhud and reciting the Attahiyyaat, think about how Rasulullah Sallallāhu Alayhi Wasallam made a heavenly declaration of submission to Allah in Me’raj. You are fortunate to supplicate that in Salaah. My Salaah is my Me’raj. I am before my Allah. In Salaah you were accompanied by the angels. When making Salam to the right and left, make intention of greeting the angels on the right and left. Upon completion of Salaah, make Istighfar and repent for not being able to fulfill the rights of Allah in Salah.

Make Dua after Salah ‘Oh Allah accept my Salaah’.

In order to achieve this standard in Salaah, you have to make an effort. Start performing shorter Salaah’s with full concentration and gradually increases that. When the quality of Salaah is upgraded, you will notice a revival of spirituality in your heart which will impact in all aspects of your life. You will feel different, see different, hear different and talk different. All with the conscious of the presence of Allah. No amount of comfort and luxury can buy this peace you get through Salaah.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

askimam

• Like 1

But how do I keep my concentration during zuhr and asr salaat praying in jamaa

Question

During salaat I try to focus on the words so to keep my concentration in salaat. But how do I keep my concentration during zuhr and asr salaat praying in jamaat when we are supposed to stand silently?

Answer

In order to maintain devotion in the silent Salaah, you may look at the place of Sajda and ponder over the greatness of Allah. Ponder over His Power and His Creation. You may also ponder over the sacrifices of Nabi Muhammed. Inshallah this will maintain your devotion in Salaah.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Levels of khushu’ in Salah

Sayyidi wa sanadi Mufti Mohammad Taqi Usmani (Allah preserve him) said,

‘It has to be acknowledged here that the required khushu‘ (reverence, serenity and presence of mind) has multiple levels.

The first level is essential (fardh). That is, at least at the moment of opening takbeer (tehrimah) an individual brings to his mind (actively) that he/she is praying. Absence of this will make the salah void.

The best and highest level (of khushu‘) is that during the entire salah nothing transpires except the thought of Allah. (As is mentioned in the Prophetic saying)

khushu.jpg

The middle level (in between these two) is the one each Individual must strive to attain. That is, one should be aware and attentive of the words that are being recited during salah.

One should be cognizant of what is being recited. On reciting الحمد لله رب العالمين he should have knowledge that he said الحمد لله رب العالمين. On saying الرحمن الرحيم he should know he recited الرحمن الرحيم. One should strive for this level of khushu.

Salah should not be (offered) like switching on a machine (that runs on its own) and comes to culmination (automatically). (That is without attention and awareness.)

Even if some involuntarily thoughts come during salah they will in-sha-Allah be forgiven provided that on becoming aware of this derailment one returns to being attentive of the words being recited.

Initially one has to be be attentive towards the words being recited, than gradually the attention will turn towards Allah.’

Inam ul Bari, volume 3, page 472

Source

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

How to concentrate in Salaah

Q: How to stop thoughts coming to your mind while praying? What is the best way to concentrate in namaaz?

b.jpg

A: You may engage your mind in another thought. For example, Allah is watching you. The thought has to be refreshed all the time as it may fade away or alternately you may think that this is your last namaaz and thereafter you are going to be standing before Allah Ta`ala for your reckoning. Alternately you could imagine the Ka`bah before you and the special blessings of Allah Ta`ala descending upon the Ka`bah.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

حـٰفِظوا عَلَى الصَّلَوٰتِ وَالصَّلوٰةِ الوُسطىٰ وَقوموا لِلَّـهِ قـٰنِتينَ ﴿البقرة: ٢٣٨﴾

(رأى رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - رجلاً يعبث بلحيته في الصلاة فقال لو خشع قلب هذا لخشعت جوارحه) قال العراقي: رواه الحكيم الترمذي في النوادر من حديث أبي هريرة بسند ضعيف والمعروف أنه من قول سعيد بن المسيب رواه ابن أبي شيبة في المصنف وفيه رجل لم يسم اهـ. (تخريج أحاديث إحياء علوم الدين #388)

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• 2 months later...
  • Dawah Team

Salaah | Surrender to Allah Ta'ala

Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

kai_2.jpg

By Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Hamid Is`haq Saheb (Daamat Barakaatuhum)

Salaah has to become a Salaah in reality.

When we present ourselves for Salaah, we should do so with utmost humility. We should submit ourselves – heart, mind, body and soul, to Allah Ta’ala. Let us keep before us that Salaah is entering the Court of the King of Kings, and let us keep before us our reality: That we are the slaves and servants of Allah Ta’ala.

When we bow our heads in Ruku’ and prostrate our heads in Sujood, then we must also bow and prostrate our hearts to Allah Ta’ala and surrender fully to Him.

When our heads are in Sujood, then we should also surrender our brains and intellect to Allah Ta’ala. ...We sometimes have our own plans and ideas – which are not in compliance with Dien and Shari'ah. We should relinquish them for the Pleasure of Allah Ta'ala. Submit to the Commandments and Decisions and Plans of Allah Ta’ala, which are full of Wisdom, Mercy and Kindness for His Slaves.

Salaah, performed with true ‘Abdiyyat (Servitude), invites the success of this world and the success of the Hereafter. Fortunate and intelligent is the person who establishes Salaah in his or her life. 

May Allah Ta’ala grant us the Taufeeq of true Abdiyyat and establishing our five daily Salaah.

• 2 months later...
Devotion and Concentration in Salaah

Hazrat Shaikh Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) writes:

The Soofia have written that Salaah in reality is an ibaadat wherein one supplicates to Allah Ta’ala and communicates with him. Therefore one needs to have concentration during Salaah as the Salaah cannot be discharged with negligence. In case of other ibaadaat, even though one does not possess a high level of concentration, the ibaadat will take place. Consider the example of zakaat, the essence of zakaat is to spend money for the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala. Spending in itself is so hard on a person that even if he does it inattentively he would feel the pinch of it. Similarly, fasting requires giving up eating and drinking and sexual satisfaction. All these restrictions are extremely difficult on the soul. Even if they are not observed with proper attention and devotion, the ibaadat will be discharged. On the other hand, Zikr and recitation of the Qur'an are the chief constituents of Salaah. If these are not done attentively with devotion and concentration, they will not constitute supplication and communication with Allah Ta’ala. (Fazaail-e-A’amaal [urdu], Fazaail-e-Namaaz pg. 87)

Ihyaauddeen

• 2 months later...

Thoughts in Salaah

Question:

During Salaat, whether Fard or Sunnah, I keep getting waswasa (whispering) from the Shaytan which I do my best to block out.

However, some of these thoughts that come into my head during Salat [both Fard & Sunnah] are quite good in that a couple of times answers to some of my problems appear during the Salat or sometimes reminders of something I perhaps did during the day that I shouldn’t have done also appear in my mind.

Is this the shaytan trying to trick me to distract me or are these thoughts actually good?

Answer:

As-salāmu `alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Brother in Islam,

If these good thoughts do not distract one’s attention and concentration in Salaah, then there is no harm in them. Such thoughts are not classified as “Waswasa” in the strict sense. However, if such thoughts distract one’s attention and concentration in Salaah, then one should thwart and block out such thoughts as far as possible. Such thoughts will now be termed as “Waswasa”.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Dar al- Mahmood

Question:

main namaz to mashaallah 5 time ki padhta hun par hazrat usme dil nahi lagtaa hai kabhi kabhi to ye bhi nahi dhyaan rahta ki kitni rakaat padh li hain hazrat 2 saal pahle jamaat me 40 din lagaaye the tab uske baad to kuch dino bahut achchi namaaz padhi gayi lekin ab dil nahi lagta ab jaana possible nahi ho paa raha hai hazrat kya kiya jae jisse namaaz me dil lag sake.

Answer:

As-salāmu `alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Muhtaram Brother

Translation of the Question:

Māshā Allāh I perform my five daily ṣalāh. However, I cannot concentrate in my ṣalāh.  Sometimes I do not even recall how many rak`āts I have performed. Two years ago I spent 40 days in the path of Allāh (jamāt). After that for some time I used to performed good ṣalāh, but now I am unable to put my heart in my prayer. It is not possible for me to again in jamāt. What should I do gain concentration in my prayers.

Answer: (In Urdu)

Māshā Allāh, Allāh Ta`ālā ki tawfīq se āp pānch waqat ke namāz parthe he. Is par Allāh Ta`ālā kā shukr adā karnā chaihe. Koshish ye bhi karnā ke namāz bā jamā`at ho. Jab ādmī namāz jamā`at ke sāth parthā he to 27 kunā ziyādā thawāb miltā he. Aur namāz qubūl hone ke ziyādā imkān he. Kionke agar ek ādmī ke namāz qubūl hojae to uske barkat se Allāh Ta`ālā sāre jamā`at ke namāz qubūl kartā he.

Namāz mein khushū’ kā ma’nā ye nahi he ke dusre khiyālāt bilkul na āye. Balke maṭlab ye he ke jab dusre khiyāl ajāye to usko tawajjuh na de. Jab ādmī khiyālāt ko tawajjuh ignore karegā to wo ghud ba ghud jalājāegā. Ādmī jab namāz parte he to ek shayṭān jiskā nām khinzab he ho ātā he aur ādmī ko waswasah dilātā he. To Allāh Ta`ālā se is kinzab nāmi shayṭān se panāh mangnā chāihe#. Allāh Ta`ālā ke sāmne ro ro kar du`ā karna ke Allāh Ta`ālā ham sab ko sajdah ki surūr aur munājāt ki lazzat `aṭā farmāe. Ṣaḥābah raḍiyallāh `anhum ke wāqi`āt ko bhi parho. Ye hamāre liye namūne he. Namāz ke pahle apne āp ko dahni ṭor par tayyāt karnā ke mein abhi Rabbe zil Jalāl ki darbār `ālī mein ḥaḍri dedongā. Jis tarah log dunywi badshā ke sāmne adab ke sāth kara hotā he ussi tarah, balke usse ziyādah adab aur iḥtirām ke sāth kara hoje. Namāz mein jin sūraton or du`āe parajātā he iske ma`āni ko yād karne ki khoshish karo. Jab namaz parta ho to us par ghor karo. Aur is kayfiyat se namaz parho ke mein Allāh Ta`ālā se kuftakū kartā hun.

Agar jamāt ke sāth do bārā nikalnā mumkan na ho to kam az kam maqāmi kām mein lage raho. Iske fawāid shumār se ziyāda he. Namāz ke da’wat aur namāz ko kushu’ ke sāth parne ke da’wat dete raho. Biwi, bacho, dosto hare k ko da’wat dete raho.

Agar koi qadhā namāz dhimmah mein bāqi he to pūrā karne ki koshish karo. Agar koi qadhā nahin he to ziyādāh se ziyādāh nafl parho.

Maqāmi `ulamā’ ke sāth bhi waqt guzāro, unse naṣiḥāṣil karo aur uspar `amal karte raho.

Translation:

Māshā Allāh through the grace of Allāh Ta`ālā you perform your five daily ṣalāh. Be thankful to Allāh Ta`ālā for this bounty. Try to perform your prayers with congregation. When a person performs his prayers with congregation he receives 27 times more reward. There is also a greater chance of his prayers being accepted; as if one person in the congregation prayer is accepted then through its blessings the prayer of the entire congregation is also accepted.

Concentrating in prayer does not mean that stray thoughts do not come to one at all. Rather, if such thoughts do come then one should not pay any attention to them. When a person ignores such thoughts they will go away on their own. When a person performs his prayers then there is a devil by the name of kinzab who whispers to a person. Therefore, we should seek refuge in Allāh Ta`ālā from khinzab#. We should cry before Allāh Ta`ālā and Him to bestow us with the enjoyment of pratrating before Him and the pleasure of communicating with Him. One should also read the incidents of the honourable companions of Nabi ṣallallāhu `alayhi wasallam. They were examples for us to follow. Before standing in prayer one should mentally prepare one’s self that I am going to stand in the court of Allāh the All Mighty. Just as people stand with respect before a king of this world, with more respect than this one should stand before Allāh Ta`ālā. Those chapters and supplications which are recited in prayer, one should try to learn its meanings and ponder over them whilst praying. Prayer as if you are directly talking to Allāḥ Ta`ālā

If you are unable to go out again in the path of Allāḥ Ta`ālā then at least take part in the local community effort. This has innumerable amount of benefits. Continue to call towards prayer and invite to praying with concentration. Continue reminding your spouse, children and friends about prayer.

If you have any outstanding prayers then complete those. If you do not have any outstanding prayers then perform as much as optional prayers as possible.

Keep the company of your local scholars. Listen to their advices and practice accordingly.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Dar al- Mahmood

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

The Establishment of Salaah

al_aqza.jpg

Once, while addressing the students of Deen, Hazrat Moulana Muhammad Ilyaas (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) mentioned the following advice:

The establishment of salaah is the means of reforming one’s entire life. However, the establishment of salaah will only take place once the various qualities of Imaan mentioned in various aayaat of the Qur’aan Majeed are perfected. Some of these qualities are mentioned in the following verses:

قَد أَفلَحَ المُؤمِنونَ ﴿١﴾ الَّذينَ هُم فى صَلاتِهِم خـٰشِعونَ ﴿المؤمنون:٢﴾

Successful indeed are the believers, those who have khushoo’ (devotion and concentration) in their salaah.

In another verse of the Qur’aan, Allah Ta‘ala mentions:

الَّذينَ يُؤمِنونَ بِالغَيبِ وَيُقيمونَ الصَّلوٰةَ وَمِمّا رَزَقنـٰهُم يُنفِقونَ ﴿البقرة:٣﴾

Those who believe in the unseen, establish salaah, spend out of what We have provided for them.

At the end of this verse Allah Ta‘ala says:

أُولـٰئِكَ هُمُ المُفلِحونَ ﴿البقرة:٥﴾

They are the ones who are truly successful.

In the light of the abovementioned aayaat, one reaches the conclusion that one’s success is subject to the establishment of salaah, and the establishment of salaah is dependent on khushoo’. Without acquiring the desired level of khushoo’, one will not be able to succeed in bringing about the establishment of salaah. In some other verses of the Qur’aan Majeed Allah Ta‘ala shows us how to create the desired level of khushoo’ in our salaah. The way to obtain this khushoo’ is for one to increase the awareness that Allah Ta‘ala is watching him and create the conviction in one’s heart that he is standing before Allah Ta‘ala. An indication of this is found in the following verse:

وَإِنَّها لَكَبيرَةٌ إِلّا عَلَى الخـٰشِعينَ ﴿٤٥﴾ الَّذينَ يَظُنّونَ أَنَّهُم مُلـٰقوا رَبِّهِم وَأَنَّهُم إِلَيهِ رٰجِعونَ ﴿البقرة:٤٦﴾

Indeed it (salaah) is difficult except for those who possess khushoo’ (devotion and concentration in their salaah). They are those who have conviction and certainty that they are to meet their Lord, and that they are to return to Him.

The mention of aakhirat in this verse is not confined to bringing the conviction of the aakhirat but can also be applied to bringing the conviction of standing before Allah Ta‘ala during salaah and at all times.

(Malfoozaat Hazrat Moulana Muhammad Ilyaas (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) pg. 104)

ihyauddeen.co.za