IslamicTeachings.org

Waswasah about Divorce & Islam

ummtaalib

Question

my husband keeps getting waswas about divorce all time when hes eating,drinking or when doing something else.he gets alot of waswas about different things he once got wrong waswas about his mom when he was sitting by her but he refused to listen to the waswas and ignored thm.is this a sin?hes on tablets now for these waswas.can you give me some advice to give him?            

i also get alot of waswas about islam and my lord allah.im ill because i keep talking to myself and i keep repeating words over and over again all day long.im tired of this illness.i cant cope with the illness nomore. i keep saying wrong things about islam and i dont want 2 say wrong things ever in my life but im ill.my life is hell cuz of this illness.i dont know what to do.when i say somthing wrong then i ask allah to forgive me and i say taubah.sometimes when i explain myself about my illness to myself i sometime say something i was never like this before.sometime when im talking to myself shaitans puts waswas strongly 2 me that it nearly comes out my mouth but i stop it.i worried now about last nite because i keep thinking that i said thats its funny but i dont know if i said that.what shal i do. please write bak

Answer

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

Waswasa could either be genuine whispers of the Shaitaan or due to some sickness. If it is due to a sickness which is generally diagnosed by a phsychiatrist or clinical phycologist, then such waswasa or thoughts are treatable. Your husband is now on tablets. We hope and make dua Allah grant him shifaa. Aameen.

You state you also get waswasa about Allah and Islam. You also indicate that you get these waswasa frequently when you get ill. It is important to diagnose whether your waswasa is similar to your husband’s waswasa and you require medical assistance like him. You may consider exploring that avenue.

If your waswasa are whispers of Shaitaan, then if they are involuntary and just come in the mind of their own, you should not worry. Simply ignore such thoughts. Do not pay attention whatsoever to such thoughts. Shaitaan puts these thoughts to divert your attention from useful thoughts to useless and insignificant thoughts. You will find yourself consumed in something useless and tangled thereby frustrating yourself. That is the root to many evils, anger, frustration, tiredness, despair, suicidal thoughts etc. This is what is Shaitaan’s objective. The simple remedy to such thoughts is to ignore them and don’t bother. This will be a smack on Shaitaan’s face. Shaitaan will feel humiliated and not attempt his evil plot on you again. Simply read

لَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ الْعَلِيِّ الْعَظِيمِ” and “أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ”.

Also, remember having such thoughts are a clear sign of Ieman. If you did not have Ieman in you, Shaitaan would not bother. Once sahabi complained to Rasulullah Salla Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam about such thoughts. Rasulullah Salla Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam advised him “That is clear sign of Ieman”. Such thoughts are like the different scenes on a journey. One does not stop to watch every scene on the journey, he glances at it and continues. Similarly, continue with your normal life and don’t let these thoughts stop you in any way. If you do so, you are inviting trouble to yourself. Such thoughts are similar to a live wire. You stay away, you are safe; you touch it you shock yourself.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best,

Muftī Ebrahim Desai

Daruliftaa
35 Candella Rd, Durban, South Africa