IslamicTeachings.org

Camel Hump Hijaab

ummtaalib

Question:

I have a question regarding camel hump hijab… I have read this hadith quite a few times that Mohammad (s.a.w) have said that paradise is forbidden for those women who wear their hair like camel humps…

Now, i never wear hijab like camel humps,, but recently me and my friend were discussing this and she told me it’s better to make pleats of hair than making a bun and then she quoted this hadith..

I was confused so I told her that our hair should not give camel hump looks on the top of our head, but making a bun slightly above the neck area (where our hair ends) is not wrong.

This conversation has made me think whether we can make buns too or not? I mean they are not high on head like girls usually wear these days. I only make bun because my hair is long and if i make pleats or any other hairstyle they would come out of hijab.

So please clarify whether we can make hair bun under hijab or normally too(when we are at home, without hijab). And if we are not allowed to do it then is it even not allowed to wear these kind of hairstyles in front of one’s husband?

Please also mention all those hairstyles which are not permissible under hijab as well as without hijab.

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa-barakatuh.

Hereunder is the Hadeeth in reference:

حَدَّثَنِي زُهَيْرُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنْ سُهَيْلٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «صِنْفَانِ مِنْ أَهْلِ النَّارِ لَمْ أَرَهُمَا، قَوْمٌ مَعَهُمْ سِيَاطٌ كَأَذْنَابِ الْبَقَرِ يَضْرِبُونَ بِهَا النَّاسَ، وَنِسَاءٌ كَاسِيَاتٌ عَارِيَاتٌ مُمِيلَاتٌ مَائِلَاتٌ، رُءُوسُهُنَّ كَأَسْنِمَةِ الْبُخْتِ الْمَائِلَةِ، لَا يَدْخُلْنَ الْجَنَّةَ، وَلَا يَجِدْنَ رِيحَهَا، وَإِنَّ رِيحَهَا لَيُوجَدُ مِنْ مَسِيرَةِ كَذَا وَكَذَا»

Abu Hurairah Radiallahu Anhu reports that Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam has said: “There are two categories of people of the fire (jahannam) which I haven’t seen (non-existent at that time). Amongst them is a group who has whips like the tails of cattle with which they torture people and women who are clothed yet they are naked, attracting (to males) and are attracted to (by males). Their heads are like that of a camel’s hump which are tilted. Such women will not enter Jannah nor will they smell its fragrance although its fragrance can be smelt from a long distance.”(Sahih Muslim, Book on clothing and beautifying one’s self, Chapter on Women being clothed yet are naked. Vol 2, Pg. 205, Qadeeme Khutub Khana)

The underlined and bold parts of the translation of the above mentioned Hadeeth refers to your query.

Imaam Nawawi explains that camel’s hump which are tilted refers to women hairstyling their heads by tying head cloths or scarfs on them which look like the tilted hump of a camel. [1]

In different parts of the world this type of hairstyle is called “camel hump hijab”, “beehive hijab”, “volumanised hijab” or “khaleeji hijab” which are used with “Flower clips and flower shaped pom poms.

There are two reasons for the prohibition of creating such a hairstyle;

1.   مميلات- Attraction.
  2. مائلات   - Displaying of pride.[2]

Irrespective of whether the hair is tied like a ‘bun’ or not, it should not follow the description of the tilted hump of a camel. This prohibition is general and will apply when a woman is in the presence and absence of her husband.

However, if a woman naturally makes a bun on her neck or above her head due to need and does not follow the camel humps hijab, it would be permissible.[3] Also, placing the hair on the neck is better than placing it on the head due to مشابهت (close similarity to a camel humps hijab).

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.idealwoman.org

[1]1}[شرح محمد فؤاد عبد الباقي] ومعنى رؤسهن كأسنمة البخت أي يكبرنها ويعظمنها بلف عمامة أو عصابة أو نحوها

2} (البخت) قال في اللسان البخت والبخيتة دخيل في العربية أعجمي معرب وهي الإبل الخراسانية تنتج من بين عربية وفالج (والفالج البعير ذو السنامين وهو الذي بين البختي والعربي سمي بذلك لأن سنامه نصفان) الواحد بختي جمل بختي وناقة بختية ومعنى رؤسهن كأسنمة البخت أي يكبرنها ويعظمنها بلف عمامة أو عصابة أو نحوها] { اللإيمان بالجن بين الحقيقة والتهويل ، ج 1 ، ص236 }

3}(رؤسهن كأسنمة البخت) يعنى يعظمن رؤسهن بالخمر والقلنسوة حتى تشبه اسمة البخت (المائلة) من الميل لان أعلى السنام يميل لكثرة شحمه (لا يدخلن الجنة ولا يجدن ريحها وان ريحها ليوجد من مسيرة كذا وكذا) اى يوجد من مسيرة أربعين عاما { روح البيان ، ج 2 ، ص 34 }

@4} رؤوسهن بالخمر والعمائم حتى تشبه أسنمة البخت- وهي الإبل الخراسانية, وقيل: يطمحن إلى الرجال, لا يغضضن من أبصارهن, { صحيح ابن حبان، ج16، ص 502 }

5}وَقَوْلُهُ: «رُءُوسُهُنَّ كَأَسْنِمَةِ الْبُخْتِ» قِيلَ: مَعْنَاهُ: أَنَّهُنَّ يُعَظِّمْنَ رُءُوسَهُنَّ بِالْخُمُرِ وَالْعَمَائِمِ حَتَّى تُشْبِهَ أَسْنِمَةَ الْبُخْتِ، وَقِيلَ: يَطْمَحْنَ إِلَى الرِّجَالِ، لَا يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ، وَلا يُنَكِّسْنَ رُءُوسَهُنَّ { شرح السنة، ج 10 ، ص 272 }.

6}(رؤوسهن كأسنمة البخت) معناه يعظمن رأسهن بالخمر والعمائم وغيرها مما يلف على الرؤوس حتى تشبه أسنمة الإبل

والمراد بالتشبيه بأسنمة البخت إنما هو لارتفاع الغدائر فوق رؤوسهن وجمع عقائصها هناك وتكثرها بما يضفرنه حتى تميل إلى ناحية من جوانب الرأس كما يميل السنام[شرح محمد فؤاد عبد الباقي

7}وقوله: "رؤوسهن كأسنمة البخت" قيل: معناه: أنهن يٌعظمن { صحيح إبن حبان }

8}قلت : وقد ظهرت في عصرنا نساء يعقدن شعورهن المسترسلة علي أقفيتهن أو في أوساط رؤوسهن بما يشابه سنام البعير سواء بسواء, كان النبي صلي الله عليه وسلم شبه رؤوسهن بأسنمة البخت. وهذا من معجزات النبي صلي الله عليه وسلم إذ وقع من النساء ما أخبر به قبل أربعة قرنا { تكملة فتح الملهم , ج 5 , ص 118/119 }

[2] 9}(مميلات) قيل يعلمن غيرهن الميل وقيل مميلات لأكتافهن (مائلات) أي يمشين متبخترات وقيل مائلات يمشين المشية المائلة وهي مشية البغايا ومميلات يمشين غيرهن تلك المشية

(البخت) قال في اللسان البخت والبخيتة دخيل في العربية أعجمي معرب وهي الإبل الخراسانية تنتج من بين عربية وفالج (والفالج البعير ذو السنامين وهو الذي بين البختي والعربي سمي بذلك لأن سنامه نصفان) الواحد بختي جمل بختي وناقة بختية ومعنى رؤسهن كأسنمة البخت أي يكبرنها ويعظمنها بلف عمامة أو عصابة أو نحوها] { الإيمان بالجن بين الحقيقة والتهويل، ج 1، ص 236}

[3] Imdaadul Ahkaam,Book on clothing and beautifying one’s self, Vol 4, Pg. 337.

idealwoman.org

• 2 years later...

Q. Is there anything wrong for women to tie a camel hump Hijaab?

A. Abu Hurairah Radhiyallahu Anhu reports that Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “There are two categories of people of the fire (jahannam) which I haven’t seen (non-existent at that time). Amongst them are……women who are clothed yet they are naked, attracting (to males) and are attracted to (by males). Their heads are like that of a camel’s hump which are tilted. Such women will not enter Jannah nor will they smell its fragrance although its fragrance can be smelt from a long distance.” (Muslim)

In the above Hadeeth, “a camel’s hump which are tilted” refers to women hairstyling their heads by tying head cloths or scarfs on them which look like the tilted hump of a camel.(Takmilah-Fathul Mulhim 5/118-119)

In different parts of the world this type of hairstyle is called “camel hump hijab”, “beehive hijab”, “volumanised hijab” or “khaleeji hijab” etc.

Accordingly, this type of ‘hairstyling’ for women is not allowed as it is understood from the above Hadeeth.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai 

(Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh) 

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)