IslamicTeachings.org

Q / A - Belief In Shafa'ah, Siraat, Mi'raj, Hawdh...& More

ummtaalib

Question:

Assalamualaikum w,w,

Please could you answer the following questions, there are very important as we have a group that reject these;

could you please provide quotes with references from the four imams that the following are from the Aqeedah and that they have Mutawaatir evidences either from the Sunnah or the Kitaab:

Athaab al Qabr
Shafa'ah
Siraat
Mi'raj
Meezan
The decent of Isa (as)
Dajjal
Hawd
Mahdi
Munkar wa Nakeer

may Allah reward you

Answer

:

Fatwaa no.  097/05

image002.gif                  

1)      The Qur’an speaks of the punishment of the grave in a most distinct fashion. A fire to which they are exposed morning and evening. And the Day the Final Hour will occur, (it will be proclaimed): "Admit the Pharaohnites in the severest of torments.” (Surah Mu’min, verse 46)

In this Ayah, Allah specifies the manner in which Fir’oun and his people will be dealt with in their graves. They will be tormented in this way even before the day of Qiyaamah, as understood from the Ayah. Allamah Ibne Katheer, while commenting on this very same verse explains that it is entirely in support of the view held by the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa'ah that ‘Athaab-ul-Qabr is an undeniable fact. This punishment will be unleashed upon the disbelievers and sinful believers in the second stage of life known as ‘Aalam-ul-Barzagh.

Hazrat Aisha (R.A.) reports that once a Jewish lady informed her that “We (the Jews) seek protection from the punishment of the grave.” On learning this Hazrat Aisha (R.A.) questioned the Nabi of Allah (S.A.W.) with regards to ‘Athaab-ul-Qabr. Nabi (S.A.W.) firmly responded: “Yes, ‘Athaab-ul-Qabr is true.” Hazrat Aisha (R.A.) says that thereafter Nabi (S.A.W.) always sought protection from the punishment of the grave on completing his prayers. (Mishkaat, Page 25 with reference to Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim)

On one occasion the prophet of Allah (S.A.W.) passed by two graves. He thereafter remarked: “The inmates of these graves are subjected to punishment and they are being punished for acts which are not regarded as major. As for the first, he never used to purify himself after urinating. The second is being punished for engaging in gossip.”

(Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 99-100, Sharhu ‘Aqeedatit Tahawiyah, Vol. 2, Page 132)

2)      In Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 255 Allah (S.W.T.) directly addresses the topic of Shafa’ah: Allah! There is none worthy of worship but He, the Ever-Existing, All-Sustaining. Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him alone belong all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him without His consent? He knows whatever is present before the creation and whatever is absent from them. And the creation cannot embrace anything of His knowledge except of what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth. And preservation of the two does not burden Him. And He is Supreme, Most Glorious.”

In Surah Ambiyah, verse 28 Allah states: He knows whatever is before them (angels) and whatever is behind them. And they cannot intercede but for him with whom Allah is pleased; and they stand in awe for fear of Him.”

In the commentary of these Aayaat, Hazrat Moulana Shafee’ Uthmani (R.H.) outlines, that Allah will allow certain chosen devotees of his to intercede on behalf of the sinners. The most significant intercession, however, will be that of our beloved Nabi (S.A.W.) which will be a means of the emancipation of a large amount of souls from the fire of Jahannam. Nabi (S.A.W.) describes the occasion as follows: “On the day of Qiyaamah the sun will draw close. The people will be panic-stricken and in dismay. They will then encourage each another to approach a distinguished personality who will intercede on their behalf. They will approach Hazrat Adam (A.S.) who will in turn send them to Hazrat Ebrahim (A.S.). In like manner each Nabi will send them to another until they approach me. I will enter the court of the Almighty, after acquiring permission, and immediately fall into Sajdah. I will remain in this position for as long as Allah wishes. Thereafter, Allah will address me saying: “O Muhammad, rise. Speak for you shall be heard. Ask and you shall be granted. Intercede, your intercession will be accepted.” I will then raise my head followed by praises which will be taught to me by Allah on that day. Thereafter, I will be allowed to remove a stipulated amount of souls from the fire of Jahannam. I will return to the court of Allah and in a similar manner be given the permission to release a fix amount. I will intercede in this manner on four different occasions.” (Mishkaat, Page 488-489) 

Please note that the above is only part of the Hadith. The actual Hadith is quite lengthy. This Hadith is also found in Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim and is clear evidence proving the intercession which will be rendered by Nabi (S.A.W.).

The angels and believers who will be destined to enter Jannah will also be granted the opportunity to intercede, as understood from many Ahadeeth. Nabi (S.A.W.) has mentioned: “The believers will come forward and address Allah saying “O Allah they (The Jahannamis) used to fast with us. They used to offer prayers and perform Hajj. It will be said unto them “Remove those believers whom you recognise.” They will intercede in this manner on three different occasions. Ultimately, Allah will say: “The angels, prophets and believers have all interceded and there is no one remaining who has yet to intercede, but the Most Compassionate.” (Mishkaat, Page 490)

Imam Nawawi (R.H.), while proving the validity of Shafa’ah mentions, that there is consensus amongst the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa'ah in this regard.

(Saheeh Muslim, Vol. 1, Page 104, Sharhu Aqeedatit Tahawiyah, Vol. 1, Page 305, Ma’aariful Qur’an, Vol. 1, Page 614, Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 115)

3)      In Surah Mariam, verse 71 Allah states: “And there is none among you who will not pass over hell. According to thy Sustainer that is essential; must be fulfilled.” “Pass over hell” is referring to the Siraat which will have to be crossed by everyone, as explained by the Mufassireen. (Tafseer-e-Uthmani, Page 414).

In Saheeh Bukhari there is a lengthy Hadith in which the Nabi of Allah (S.A.W.) beautifully describes the plight of the people on the day of Qiyaamah. We will however only quote his (S.A.W.) explanation of the Siraat. “…….thereafter a bridge will be positioned across Jahannam. I will be the first to pass over this bridge. At that time every messenger’s plea will be “Oh Allah bestow peace, bestow peace.” (Saheeh Bukhari, Vol. 2, Page 973)

It would be imperative upon every soul to cross the Siraat in order to enter Jannah. The Siraat, as described in the Ahadeeth, is finer than a strand of hair, sharper than a sword and darker than a night. The only light which will aid one in successfully passing over this dark bridge is that of Imaan.

May Allah allow the soul of every believer to cross over the Siraat with ease.

(Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 105, ‘Umdatul Fiqh, Vol. 1, Page 45)

4)      Allah (S.W.T.) commences the 17 chapter of the glorious Qur’an by announcing     His grandeur followed by an unambiguous description of the first stage of Mi'raj. Glory be to Him Who caused His devotee to travel by night from Masjid-ul-Haraam to Masjid-ul-Aqsa - the precincts of which We have blessed - so that We may show him some of the wonders of Our power. Truly Allah alone is All Hearing, All Seeing.” (Surah Bani Israa’eel, verse 1)

The Ahadeeth are many in this regard and somewhat lengthy with comprehensive   information. There is a difference of opinion amongst the Ulamaa as to whether Nabi (S.A.W.) travelled physically or only spiritually. The correct opinion is that Nabi (S.A.W.) miraculously travelled in a state of consciousness physically as well as spiritually. He (S.A.W.) was accompanied by Hazrat Jibreel (A.S.) throughout the journey which commenced from Masjid-ul-Haraam in Makkah to Masjid-ul-Aqsa in Palestine. It is at this point that Nabi (S.A.W.) led all the Ambiyah in prayers and thereafter continued the journey until he (S.A.W.) ultimately reached Sidratul Muntahaa where he was endowed with the gift of Salaah. This journey was successfully accomplished through the Qudrat of Allah, Certainly Allah commands power over everything.” (Al-Baqarah, verse 20)

Kindly study the Ahadeeth found in Bukhari for Further reference.

(Saheeh Bukhari, Vol. 1, Page 548-549, Saheeh Muslim, Vol. 1, Page 93, Sharhu Aqeedatit Tahawiyah, Vol. 1, Page 295, Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 144, ‘Umdatul Fiqh, Vol. 1, Page 30-31)

5)  Once again, the Qur’an testifies to the existence of the Meezaan on the day of      Qiyaamah: “And the weighing that Day will be a reality. So whosoever's Balance will be heavy, they are the ones who will be prosperous,

And whoever's Balance will be light; these will be the ones who will have caused loss to themselves owing to their unjust approach to Our verses.” (Surah Al-A‘araaf, verse 8-9)

Hazrat Aisha (R.A.) reports “Once while pondering over the fire, I began weeping. On seeing this, the prophet of Allah (S.A.W.) inquired, “O Aisha why do you cry?” I replied, “I was thinking of the fire, thus I started crying. O Rasoolullah will you remember your people on the day of Qiyaamah?” Nabi (S.A.W.) remarked: “There are three such occasions where no one will recognize any one else. The first is at the Meezaan, until one is apprised of its outcome, whether it will be light or heavy…….” (Mishkaat, Page 486)

The actions of every person will be weighed in the Meezaan. If the good outweighs the evil, then one will be admitted into Jannah and if vice versa then one will be flung into Jahannam.

As far as the description of the Meezaan is concerned and the manner in which it will take place, is beyond our ken.

(Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 103, ‘Umdatul Fiqh, Vol. 1, Page 44)

6)      The Qur’an verifies the descent of Eesa (A.S.) in Surah Nisaa’ verse 159: And      there will remain no person among the people of the Book but will indeed affirm of Eesa u  prior to his own death; and on the Day of Judgment, Eesa u  will be a witness against the people.”

In this Ayah, Allah explains that the Jews and Christians will all bring Imaan on the prophet Eesa (A.S.) before his death, which will only occur after he (A.S.) has killed Dajjal. The fact that Eesa (A.S.) will descend is indisputably proven from this verse. (Mukhtasar Tafseer Ibne Katheer, Vol. 1, Page 456)

Abdullah ibn Umar (R.A.) reports that Nabi (S.A.W.) said: “Eesa (A.S.) will descend to the earth. He will marry, have children and live for a period of 45 years. Thereafter he will pass away and be laid to rest with me, in my grave. I and Eesa will rise from one grave between Abu Bakr and Umar.”

(Mishkaat, Page 480, ‘Umdatul Fiqh Vol. 1, Page 38)

7)      The Nabi of Allah (S.A.W.) had frequently cautioned the Sahabah regarding Dajjal and thoroughly described him to them. The issue of Dajjal is a major one as understood from a Hadith reported by ‘Imraan bin Husain: “I heard the prophet of Allah (S.A.W.) saying: “From the time Adam (A.S.) was created until the day of Qiyaamah, there is no event to occur which will be more serious than that of Dajjal.” (Mishkaat, Page 472)

Hazrat Anas (R.A.) reports that the Nabi of Allah (S.A.W.) mentioned: “Every Nabi warned his Ummah of the one-eyed liar. Behold!  Indeed he is one-eyed and surely your Sustainer is not one-eyed. The letters, Kaaf, Faa’, Raa will be inscribed on his forehead.” (Mishkaat, Page 476)

Dajjal will make his appearance in a place between Shaam and Iraq. It is at this point where he will claim prophet hood. Thereafter he will travel to a place called Isfahaan accompanied by a large group of Jews, 70 000 in number. He will now claim that he is God. He will travel at a very swift pace and spread corruption in his way. However, he will not be allowed to enter the Holy cities of Makkah and Madinah as Allah would appoint angels to guard the entrances which lead to them. He will afflict those who reject him with poverty and various other hardships, and as for those who accept him, they will live a life of comfort. He will ultimately be killed by Hazrat Eesa (A.S.).

(‘Umdatul Fiqh, Vol. 1, Page 38, Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 174)   

8)      Hazrat Anas (R.A.) reports that once the Nabi (S.A.W.) was seated in our midst.    Suddenly, he (S.A.W.) was overtaken by slumber. He (S.A.W.) then raised his head while smiling. On observing this we inquired: “O Nabi of Allah what causes you to smile?” Nabi (S.A.W.) replied: “A chapter of the Qur’an has just been revealed to me” and he began reciting: “Indeed We endowed thee the Kauthar. So perform Salaat for thy Sustainer and offer sacrifice. Undoubtedly it is thy opponent who is without any trace.” (Surah Kauthar)

On completing the Surah, Nabi (S.A.W.) asked, “Do you people know what Al-Kauthar is?” We replied by attributing its knowledge to Allah and His messenger (S.AW.). Nabi (S.A.W.) explained, “It’s a well in Jannah which my Sustainer has promised me…….” (Mukhtasar Tafseer Ibne Katheer, Vol. 3, Page 680)

The renowned scholar of Hadith, Imam Bukhari (R.H.) has composed a separate chapter dealing with the Ahadeeth on the Hawdh-e-Kauthar. Abdullah bin Umar (R.A.) reports that the holy Prophet (S.A.W.) has said: “My Hawdh is equal to a month’s journey in length. The water of which is whiter in colour than milk. Its fragrance is sweeter than that of musk. Its goblets are like the stars. Whosoever will drink from it will never experience thirst, ever.” (Saheeh Bukhari, Vol. 2, Page 974)

On the day of Qiyaamah each Nabi will have a Hawdh of his own from which he will quench the thirst of his followers. Our beloved Nabi (S.A.W.) will have the largest Hawdh which is known as Kauthar. The Ummah of Nabi (S.A.W.) will rise on that day in a state of extreme thirst and immediately proceed towards the Hawdh in seek of water. The apostate, Kaafir and Mushrik will be deprived of this water. According to some Ulamaa the deviated groups within Islam such as the Mu’tazilah, Khawarij etc will also be deprived of its water.

(‘Umdatul Fiqh, Vol. 1, Page 47, Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 105)

9)      The appearance of Imam Mahdi is one of the major signs of Qiyaamah. There are a     number of Ahadeeth which speak of his leadership and justness. He will lead the Muslims in combat against the enemies of Islam. He will appear at the age of 40. He will live for a period of 7 to 8 years after his emergence. He will be from amongst the people of Madinah and travel towards Makkah where he will be recognized as the long awaited Mahdi. People will pledge allegiance to him and declare him their king. His name will be Muhammad. His father’s Abdullah and mother’s Aaminah. He will propagate the teachings of Islam and spread justice in his path. It will be incumbent upon every believer to assist him in his course and fight besides him.

Umme Salmah (R.A.) reports: “I heard the prophet (S.A.W.) saying, “Mahdi will be from my progeny, from the children of Fatima.” (Mishkaat, Page 470)

Abu Saeed Al-Khudri (R.A.) reports that Nabi (S.A.W.) has mentioned: “Mahdi is from me (my progeny). He will have a broad forehead and curved nose. He will spread justice on the earth as much as it would be filled with injustice and oppression. He will lead for a period of seven years.”

(Mishkaat, Page 470, ‘Umdatul Fiqh, Vol. 1, Page 36)

10)  Munkar and Nakeer are the two angels assigned with the task of questioning every person in the grave with regards to his/her religion, Allah and the prophet (S.A.W.)

Nabi (S.A.W.) has mentioned: “When a person is laid down in the grave, he is approached by two dark angels. The one is called Munkar and the other Nakeer.”

If the inmate of the grave happens to be a Muslim, then Munkar questions him/her and if the inmate is a disbeliever, then the questions are asked by Nakeer.

(Sharhul Aqaaidin Nasafiyyah, Page 100)

All the above facts are proven from the Qur’an, Ahadeeth of Nabi (S.A.W.) and Ijma’ (consensus). There is no difference of opinion amongst the Imams, who belong to the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa'ah with regards to the occurrence of all the aforementioned aspects. It is incumbent upon every individual to believe in the reality of there being. 

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Ebrahim bin Zainul Abedeen Backus

Attested to as correct by:

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah

Springs

www.mahmoodiyah.org.za