IslamicTeachings.org

Some Of The Things Witnessed During Mi'raaj

Some of the Things witnessed during Mi'raaj

Hadrat Moosa (Alaihis salaam) performs Salaah in his Grave
It is related by Hadrat Anas (Radiallahu anhu) that Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "On the night in which I was taken on the journey, I passed by Moosa (Alaihis salaam) and he was performing salaah in his grave." (Sahih Muslim Pg.268 Vol.1)

People's Lips Slashed with Shears
Anas (Radiallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "On the night of Mi'raaj, I saw some people whose lips were being slit with scissors of fire. I asked Jibraeel who these people were and he replied that they are the khateebs who command people to do good deeds while forgetting their own selves." In another version of this Hadith it says, "They are the sermonizers (of your ummah) who say such things which they themselves do not do. They read the Book of Allah, without themselves practising upon it." (Mishkaatul Masaabih Pg.438)

People Scraping their Chests with their Fingernails
Anas (Radiallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "When I was taken up during the Me'raaj, I passed by people who had fingernails of copper and they were raking their own faces and chests with them. I asked Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) who they were and he replied that they were those who used to eat the flesh of others (i.e. slandered them) and attacked their reputations." (Abu Dawood, in Mishkaat p.249)

The Miserable Plight of those who Consume Interest
It has been narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radiallahu anhu) that Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "On the night of Mi'raaj, I passed by people with bellies as huge as houses (in which people stay) and inside their bellies were snakes which were visible from the outside. I asked Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) who they were. He replied that they were those who consume interest (usury)." (Mishkaatul Masaabih Pg.246)

Angels Emphasize the Importance of Cupping
Hadrat Abdullah bin Mas'ood (Radiallahu anhu) narrates: "Among the things described by Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) about the journey of Mi'raaj was that every group of Angels he passed by, urged him to instruct his ummah to practise cupping." (Mishkaatul Masaabih p.389 from Tirmizi and Ibn Maajah)

In the past, the custom of cupping was very much in vogue among the Arabs. It is a way of letting out bad and excess blood from the body and a sovereign remedy for many diseases. People have abandoned having faith in this practice today. Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) used to have his head and the area between his shoulders cupped. (lbid)

The Reward of the Mujaahidoon (i.e. those who strive in the path of Allah)
Abu Hurairah (Radiallahu anhu) reports that Nabi (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) was travelling with Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) when they passed by a group of people who were sowing seeds in the ground and harvesting the crops on the same day. Immediately thereafter, the seeds would again be sown into the ground and the entire process would be repeated. When Nabi (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) asked Jibraeel(Alaihis salaam) who these people were, he informed him that they were those who strive in the path of Allah. The reward for their every good deed would be multiplied seven hundred times and whatever they spent, Allah Ta'ala would certainly reward them for it.

People's Heads Crushed with Rocks
Nabi (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) passed by another group of people whose heads were being crushed with boulders. After becoming smashed, their heads would again resume their original shape, only to be crushed again. This process would continue ceaselessly. When he asked jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) who they were, he replied that they were those people who were neglectful of their salaah. During the time of salaah, they would remain asleep.

The Despicable State of those who withhold their Zakaah
Then he passed by another group of people whose private parts, from the front and behind, were wrapped in rags and they were grazing like camels and cattle. They were eating Daree'(a thorny plant of the fire of Jahannam) and Zaqqoom( a most bitter and foul smelling tree growing at the bottom of Jahannam) and the smouldering stones of Jahannam. Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) asked who these people were and Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) replied, "They are those who do not discharge the zakaah of their wealth."

People Eating Spoilt Meat
Thereafter Nabi (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) passed by a group of people in front of whom was some cooked meat in a pot. In another pot nearby, was some raw and decayed meat. These people were eating the decayed meat and leaving the cooked meat untouched. Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) asked Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) who they were, and he replied that they were those men of the ummah, who, despite having their own lawful and pure wives, would spend the night in the company of adulteresses and despicable women, and remained with them till the morning. And they were those women of the ummah who had left their lawful and pure husbands to spend the night with adulterous and evil men.

A Person Carrying a huge bundle of wood
Then, Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) passed by a man who was struggling to carry a very large bundle of wood which he was unable to bear, yet he wanted to carry even more. When Nabi(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) asked who he was, Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) replied that this was the person who had been a trustee of people's possessions, but he had failed to discharge the trust. And yet, he was eager and willing to take on more of the things of people in trust.

An Ox Attempts to Enter a Tiny Opening
Thereafter, they came upon a tiny opening from which a huge ox emerged. After making its appearance, the ox wanted to return into this small hole. Nabi(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) asked who this was and Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) replied that this was the person who, after having uttered some very serious and sinful words, was full of remorse and wished to retract them but was unable to do so.

The Fragrance of Jannah
Then Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) reached a valley from which a very beautiful fragrance emanated. The smell was of musk and it possessed a voice. Nabi(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) asked, "What is this?" Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) replied that it is the voice of Jannah saying, "O My Lord! Bring to me those people who have been destined to stay in me, and fulfill your promise."

Hearing the Shriek of Jahannam
Then, Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) passed by another valley from which an unbearable voice could be heard. When he asked about it, Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) replied that it was Jahannam imploring Allah saying, "Make over to me the people who have been destined to dwell in me, and fulfill your pledge."

A shaitaan Trails Them
In the Muatta of Imaam Maalik (Rahmatullahi alaih), there is a Hadith narrated by Yahya bin Sa'eed, that on the night of Mi'raaj, Nabi(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) saw a rebellious jinn pursuing him with a flame of fire. Whenever he would turn(to the right or left), he would catch sight of this Jinn. Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) said, " Should I not teach you some words which, if recited, will extinguish this fire and cause him(the Jinn) to fall down on his face. Upon request of Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) , Jibraeel(Alaihis salaam) recited the following words:

" Aoozu biwajhil laahil kareem wabi kaleematil laahit-taam-maati-lati la-yu-jaa-wizu-hunna barrun wala-fa-jir. Wa-min sharri ma-yanzilu minas-samaa. Wa-sharri maa-ya'ruju fie-haa, Wa-sharri maa-dha-ra-a fil-ardi, Wa-sharri maa-yakh-ruju min-haa. Wa-min fita-nil-layli wan-nahaar. Wa-min tawaa-ri-qil-layli wan-nahaar, illa taa-ri-qann yat-ruq bi-khair. Ya-Rahmaan."

Salaams from Hazrat Ibrahim(alaiyhis salaam) to the Ummah of Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam)

Hazrat Abdullah bin Mas'ud(Radiallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, "On the night of Mi'raj, I met Hazrat Ibraheem(alaiyhis salaam) and he said to me, O Muhammad ! Convey my salaam to your Ummah and inform them that undoubtedly the soil of Jannah is pure, its water is sweet, its ground is barren and its plants are: "Subhanallahi walhamdulillahi wala ilaha illallaahu wallaahu akbar."

TWO OTHER GIFTS BESIDES SALAAH
On the night of Mi'raaj, apart from the gift of salaah and the promised reward of fifty salaah in lieu of five, among other bounties of Allah is the:

1.Revelation of the last few verses of Surah Al Baqarah (i.e. from " Aa-manar-rasoolu bimaa un-zila ilayhi mir-rab-bihee wal-mu'-minoon....till the end).

2.Sins forgiven of the ummah of Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam): At the same time, it was also announced that the major sins of those in the ummah of Rasulullah(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) who do not ascribe partners with Allah will be forgiven. (Sahih Muslim p. 97 Vol. 1). This means that they will not suffer eternal punishment on account of their major sins, but will instead be pardoned either through tawba (sincere repentance) and istighfaar (seeking the forgiveness of Allah), or after first being punished for their sins.(An Nawawi).

Source: The Miracle of Mi'raaj- Mufti Aashiq Ilaahi Bulandshari
Courtesy: www.everymuslim.net