IslamicTeachings.org

Neighbours

Acacia

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim

As noted in chapter 40 of the Khanqah Imdadia Ashrafia revised edition of Shaikh ul Arab wal Ajam Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar's book Beautiful Sunnah of Beloved Nabi (saw):

Sunnat: Be kind to the neighbors, respect the elders and show mercy to youngsters. (Mishkaat-Vol.2, pg.424, 423)

Also, below you will find Aisha Bewley's translation of chapter 39 of an-Nawawi's Riyad as-Salihin on the rights of neighbours from which we can glean some beautiful sunnah practices regarding dealings with neighbours:

39. Chapter: The right of the neighbour and treating him well

Allah Almighty says,

"Worship Allah and do not associate anything with Him. Be good to your parents and relatives and to orphans and the very poor, and to neighbours who are related to you and neighbours who are not related to you, and to companions and travelers and your slaves." (4:36)

303. Ibn 'Umar and 'A'isha reported: "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Jibril continued to advise me to be good to my neighbour until I thought that he would have me make him my heir.'" [Agreed upon]

304. Abu Dharr reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "O Abu Dharr, if you cook a stew put a lot of water in it, keeping your neighbours in mind." [Muslim]

In one variant, Abu Dharr said, "My friend, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, advised me, 'When you cook a stew, put a lot of water in it and then go and see the people of a neighbouring house and give them a reasonable amount of it."

305. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe!" It was asked, "Who is that, Messenger of Allah?" He said, "Someone whose neighbour is not safe from his mischief!" [Agreed upon]

In Muslim's variant, "No one will enter the Garden whose neighbour is not safe from his mischief."

306. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "O Muslim women! No one should look down on a gift from her neighbour, even if it is only a sheep's trotter." [Agreed upon]

307. Abu Hurayra reported the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "No neighbour should prevent his neighbour from inserting a piece of wood in his wall." Then Abu Hurayra said, "Why do I see that you are averse to this? By Allah, I will hurl it at you between your shoulders!" [Agreed upon]

308. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbour. Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should honour his guest. Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak well or be silent." [Agreed upon]

309. Abu Shurayh al-Khuza'i reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should be good to his neighbour. Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should honour his guest. Anyone who believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak well or be silent." [Muslim. Al-Bukhari has part of it.]

310. 'A'isha said, "I asked, 'Messenger of Allah, I have two neighbours. To which of them should I give?' He replied, 'To the one whose door is nearer to you.'" [al-Bukhari]

311. 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The best of companions in the sight of Allah Almighty is the one who acts best towards his companion. The best of neighbours in the sight of Allah Almighty is the one who acts best towards his neighbour." [at-Tirmidhi]