IslamicTeachings.org

How Should A Menstruating Woman Perform Hajj?

ummtaalib

Question:

I intend to go on hajj this year. However, I will be menstruating whilst traveling so i will be pure just in time for hajj days. My question is, do I go into ihram from point of meeqat? And do I have to stay in ihram till I become pure and perform umrah? This will end up being a number of days of menstruating, possibly 5, so Im not sure what Im supposed to be doing.

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Sister in Islam,

It is necessary to go into ihram at or before the meeqat irrespective of whether one is menstruating or not. If you are in the state of haidh while you are in ihram, you cannot perform Umrah. Therefore, you should wait until you become pure before you perform Umrah. [1]

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

Question
Can i perform hajj including umrah whilst I am on my monthly menstrual cycle. Please state what i am allowed to do and what i am not allowed to do whilst on my period.

Answer Bismillah

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah’s guidance)

Yes, you can perform all the rituals of Umrah and Hajj except Tawaf and Salah.

Bukhari, Chapter: A menstruating woman will perform all the rituals of Hajj except Tawaf.

A’ta says, Jabir (RA) narrates that A’isha (RA) was in the state of menstruation and she performed all of the rituals of Hajj except Tawaf and Salah.

Narrated ‘Aisha:

We set out with the Prophet for Hajj and when we reached Sarif I got my menses. When the Prophet came to me, I was weeping. He asked, “Why are you weeping?” I said, “I wish if I had not performed Hajj this year.” He asked, “May be that you got your menses?” I replied, “Yes.” He then said, “This is the thing which Allah has ordained for all the daughters of Adam. So do what all the pilgrims do except that you do not perform the Tawaf round the Ka’ba till you are clean.” (Al Kutub us Sitta, Bukhari, Book 6, Pg. 26)

And Only Allah Ta’ala Knows Best.

Moulana Qamruz Zaman

London, UK