IslamicTeachings.org

Ihraam Q's & A's - Method & What Is Allowed Or Disallowed

ummtaalib

Question:

What is the meaning of Ihram and what is the method of putting it on?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful

Literally the word Ihram means to enter into a sanctity which cannot be broken. In the context of the blessed shari’ah ihram means to enter into a state in which certain actions are not permissible. (Raddul Muhtar P479 V2)

There are two conditions without which Ihram is not valid, Intention and Dhikr.

The method for Ihram is as follows:

Perform Ghusl (bath) or wudhu (ablution), Ghusl is preferable, apply perfume, wear two new or clean sheets, perform two rak’ats optional salah, and recite the following duas:

اللهم اني اريد الحج العمرة فيسره لي و تقبله مني

Oh Allah I intend to perform Hajj/umrah so make it easy for me and accept it from me.

Then perform intention and read the Talbiyyah:

I am present Oh Allah I am present, I am present (I testify that) there is no God besides you I am present, Indeed all praises and blessings are yours and the kingdom is yours, There is no God besides you.

Attested by Mufti Sufi Tahir sahib, Darul uloom Bury and Shaykh Abdul Rahim.

Source

• Like 1

Question

I was wondering if it is permissable to use in ihram:

1.toothpaste,

2.unperfumed deodarant,

3.unperfumed soap,

4.suntan protection cream if one fears being burned due to having very fair skin.

also, when I went for umrah, I mistakenly removed my ihram before having my hair cut. does this necessitate an epiation?

Answered by: Mufti Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

Assalamu alaykum

In the name of Allah the Inspirer of truth.

Although it is permitted to use un-perfumed deodorant, un-perfumed soap, it is better to avoid them totally during the ihram. Un-perfumed suntan lotion would be permissible in times of necessity for those who need to use it. Hajj is nowadays in relatively cooler weather.

It would be permissible to use toothpaste that does not contain too much of a minty taste and fragrance. However, a tooth-stick (miswak) is most preferable.

Remember this is the ruling for a person during the state of Ihram, i.e. for the five days of hajj (or more) while the person is in pilgrim sanctity. The reason for this is that the spirit of hajj is to remain in an unkempt un-groomed state; where a person makes the appearance of someone lost in the love of worshipping Allah and has forgotten everything else.

Ibn ‘Umar narrates that a person approached the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam and asked, “Who is a pilgrim?” He told him, “The one who is in a disheveled unkempt state [al-sha'th], the one who is un-perfumed (al-tafil).

“Al-tafil” actually means a person whose body odor has changed due to neglecting the use of perfume. Outside the Ihram, it is permitted to use the above mentioned items.

As for taking your ihram of before cutting the hair, this needs more clarification. Could you explain what was meant by taking the ihram off?

And Allah knows best.
Mufti Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

Source

• Like 1

Question

Assalamu alaikum,

Whilst in the state of ihram (haj) if a person washes his/her clothes by hand using washing powder (Arial, daz etc), Will that effect the ihram in any way and is dham necessary. I ask because of the ruling about perfume whilst in ihram. JazakAllah

Answer

Mufti Ahmad Khanpuri Sahib says dam should be given, because of the fragrance which covers the hands. Our Mufti Soofi Tahir Wadiwala is of the opinion that if it’s used by mistake and it’s washed away immediately, as soon as one realises, then one could get away with sadaqah. This is because the aim was not to apply perfume, rather the aim was just to wash the clothes or remove the stickiness from the hands. Wallahu Aa’lam

Source

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Q: Is it permissible to use soap or shampoo in Ihraam?

A: It is impermissible for one in the state of ihram to use shampoo or perfumed or scented soap. If a person used shampoo or perfumed or scented soap once or twice then sadaqah becomes waajib on him.

If he uses it many times then damm becomes waajib.

و لو غسل رأسه أو يده بأشنان فيه الطيب ، فإن كان من رآه سماه أشنانا فعليه صدقة إلا أن يغسل مرارا فدم ( غنية الناسك ص 249) (انظر أيضا: معلم الحجاج ص 231)

( وغسل رأسه ولحيته بخطمي ) لأنه طيب أو يقتل الهوام بخلاف صابون (الدر المختار) قال العلامة الشامي: قوله ( بخلاف صابون ) في جنايات الفتح لو غسل بالصابون والحرض لا رواية فيه وقالوا لا شيء فيه لأنه ليس بطيب ولا يقتل اه ومقتضى التعليل عدم وجوب الدم والصدقة اتفاقا ولذا قال في الظهيرية وأجمعوا أنه لا شيء عليه اه ومثله في البحر وكذا في القهستاني عن شرح الطحاوي فافهم (شامي 2/489)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• Like 1

Q: Is it permissible to wear gloves in the state of Ihraam? If not will damm become waajib?

A: It is impermissible for men to wear gloves in the state of Ihraam. If a man wore gloves in the state of Ihraam for an entire day or night (i.e 12 hours) or more, then one damm becomes waajib upon him.

If he wore it for less than one day or night then Sadaqah becomes waajib on him.

This law applies to men only.

( ولبس قميص وسراويل ) أي كل معمول على قدر بدن أو بعضه كزردية وبرنس… قال الشامى: قوله ( أي كل معمول الخ ) أشار به إلى أن المراد المنع عن لبس المخيط وإنما خص المذكورات لذكرها في الحديث وفي البحر عن مناسك ابن أمير حاج الحلبي أن ضابطه لبس كل شيء معمول على قدر البدن أو بعضه بحيث يحيط به بخياطة أو تلزيق بعضه ببعض أو غيرهما ويستمسك عليه بنفس لبس مثله إلا المكعب اه قلت فخرج ما خيط بعضه ببعض لا بحيث يحيط بالبدن مثل المرقعة فلا بأس بلبسه كما قدمناه وأفاد قوله أو بعضه حرمة لبس القفازين في يدي الرجل وبه صرح السندي في منسكه الكبير وتبعه القاري في شرح اللباب وأما المرأة فيندب لها عدمه كما في البدائع وتمامه فيما علقناه على البحر ( شامى ج 2 ص 489/ 547) (معلم الحجاج ص 110, 233)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Coming out of Ihraam due to Unforeseen Circumstances

Q: What is the shar’i ruling regarding a person who tied his Ihraam for Haj or Umra but due to illness or any other unforeseen circumstance he was unable to travel? How will he come out of Ihraam?

A: He should appoint someone to slaughter a damm on his behalf in the precincts of the Haram. Once the animal is slaughtered he will come out of Ihraam.

( إذا أحصر بعدو أو مرض ) أو موت محرم أو هلاك نفقة حل له التحلل فحينئذ ( بعث المفرد دما ) أو قيمته فإن لم يجد بقي محرما حتى يجد أو يتحلل بطواف وعن الثاني أنه يقوم الدم بالطعام ويتصدق به فإن لم يجد صام عن كل نصف صاع يوما ( والقارن دمين ) فلو بعث واحدا لم يتحلل عنه ( وعن يوم الذبح ) ليعلم متى يتحلل ويذبحه ( في الحرم ولو قبل يوم النحر ) خلافا لهما … ( و ) يجب ( عليه إن حل من حجه ) ولو نفلا ( حجة ) بالشروع ( وعمرة ) للتحلل إن لم يحج من عامه ( وعلى المعتمر عمرة ) وعلي ( القارن حجة وعمرتان ) إحداهما للتحلل ( الدر المختار 2/590-593 )

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Using a mask in Ihraam

Q: I have a few questions regarding hajj.

1. For example while in Ihram can one wipe his head and face with a small hand towel as it is going to be hot, especially in arafah?

2. While in Ihram can one use toothpaste to brush?

3. When you are in Ihram can one wear a dust mask as they are sensitive towards dust and fumes?

b.jpg

A:

1. Yes

2. Avoid using toothpaste. You may use a miswaak or a toothbrush without toothpaste.

3. Due to health reasons if one is forced to use the mask, then one may use it. However if one wears the mask for twelve hours or more, then one has a choice of either discharging the dam, giving the amount of sadaqatul fitr to six poor people or to fast for three days. If one wears the mask for less than twelve hours, then one should give the amount of sadaqatul fitr in charity to one poor person or alternatively one may fast for one day.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

( وبعده ) أي الإحرام بلا مهلة ( يتقي الرفث ) ... (وقلم الظفر وستر الوجه) كله أو بعضه كفمه وذقنه نعم في الخانية لا بأس بوضع يده على أنفه ( والرأس ) بخلاف الميت وبقية البدن ولو حمل على رأسه ثيابا كان تغطية لا حمل عدل وطبق ما لم يمتد يوما وليلة فتلزمه صدقة وقالوا لو دخل تحت ستر الكعبة فأصاب رأسه أو وجهه كره وإلا فلا بأس به 

قال الشامي: قوله ( كله أو بعضه ) لكن في تغطية كل الوجه أو الرأس يوما أو ليلة دم الربع منهما كالكل وفي الأقل من يوم أو من الربع صدقة كما في اللباب وأطلقه فشمل المرأة لما في البحر عن غاية ممن أنها لا تغطي وجهها إجماعا اه أي وإنما تستر وجهها عن الأجانب بإسدال شيء متجاف لا يمس الوجه كما سيأتي آخر هذا الباب وأما في شرح الهداية لابن الكمال من أنها لها ستره بملحفة وخمار وإنما المنهي عنه ستره بشيء فصل على قدره كالنقاب والبرقع فهو بحث عجيب أو نقل غريب مخالف لما سمعته من الإجماع ولما في البحر وغيره في آخر هذا الباب ثم رأيت بخط بعض العلماء في هامش ذلك الشرح أن هذا مما انفرد به المؤلف والمحفوظ عن علمائنا خلافه وهو وجوب عدم مماسة شيء لوجهها اه ثم رأيت نحو ذلك نقلا عن منسك القطبي فافهم ... قوله ( ما لم يمتد يوما وليلة الخ ) الواو بمعنى أو لأن لبس المعتاد يوما أو ليلة موجب للدم فغير المعتاد كذلك موجب للصدقة ط قلت لكن لينظر من أين أخذ الشارح ما ذكره فإن الذي رأيته في عدة كتب أنه لو غطى رأسه بغير معتاد كالعدل ونحوه لا يلزمه شيء فقد أطلقوا عدم اللزوم وقد عد ذلك في اللباب من مباحات الإحرام نعم في النهر عن الخانية لو حمل المحرم على رأسه شيئا يلبسه الناس يكون لابسا وإن كان لا يلبسه الناس كالإجانة ونحوها فلا ويكره له تعصيب رأسه ولو فعل ذلك يوما وليلة كان عليه صدقة اه والظاهر أن الإشارة للتعصيب وكأن الشارح أرجعها للحمل أيضا تأمل قوله ( وقالوا الخ ) نص عليه في اللباب وغيره وكذا نص على أنه يكره كب وجهه على وسادة بخلاف خديه قال شارحه وكذا وضع رأسه عليها فإنه وإن لزم منه تغطية بعض وجهه أو رأسه إلا أنه الهيئة المستحبة في النوم بخلاف كب الوجه اه (رد المحتار 488/2)

( وإن طيب أو حلق ) أو لبس ( بعذر ) خير إن شاء ( ذبح ) في الحرم ( أو تصدق بثلاثة أصوع طعام على ستة مساكين ) أين شاء ( أو صام ثلاثة أيام ) ولو متفرقة (الدر المختار 2/ 556)

قال الشامي : قوله ( إن شاء ذبح الخ ) هذا فيما يجب فيه الدم أما ما يجب فيه الصدقة إن شاء تصدق بما وجب عليه من نصف صاع أو أقل على مسكين أو صام يوما كما في اللباب (رد المحتار 2/ 557)

أحسن الفتاوى 4/ 542

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved: